SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How to test milk if no milk?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » How to test milk if no milk? « Previous Next »

Sora
Neonate
Username: Sora

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK all of you pros. I'm on a countdown, and if she goes with the history of her past three foals, she will go Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. I have everything and the milk test. Her udder has been filling slowly the last two weeks, but I can't get any milk.

I tried again today, and after some squealing was able to try to milk, but can't get anything. It's filled, but just feels kind of hard, not mushy as if filled with liquid.

If she's on schedule, shouldn't I be able to get milk to actually test it? Isn't this close enough that I should be seeing some serious milk?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 312
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sora, I'm in the same boat. Her bag is hard and I can't get a drop. So the PH testers are just sitting there, useless! Grrrrrr. She streamed milk a few weeks ago, then waxed. Then leaked a little bit again, but can't get a darn drop! I hope some pros have suggestions. Put her hoof into warm water? HaHa

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 108
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sora & Cjskip

Try lubing your fingers a little. A little spit goes a long way. Yeah it's a little gross, but it works. Sorry if the response is to late. I missed this one.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 29, 2008)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 356
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Johnathan! I knew someone out there had to have a suggestion! That's why we luv ya'all!

Sora
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jonathan. I actually saw that hint on the milk tester kit, but it wasn't a go. It turned out I was off on my dates. I've been getting "milk" a bit. It looks pretty clear and is sticky. Got a red square today, though, so we've got a countdown.

Regina Farias
Nursing Foal
Username: Bucktoby_cowgirl

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wasn't able to get anything outta my pony. Then there was clear fluid in the morning, by night it was milky then that morning I had a colt. She wasn't a maiden either she had had 3 foals before. So it's all up to the horse.

Sora
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh man, Regina, now you're scaring me! I left the barn with clear fluid and the tester saying wait 2 days to test again, but just before I left she left her grain and was pawing and backing up. I hope I didn't leave and assume no foal. It got pretty chilly tonight, for here anyway.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sora, the milk strips are not the know all tell all end. My mare turned 3 of the 4 pads and a partial 4th the night before foaling....which means "not tonight"...but I KNEW she would foal very soon by the way she was acting. The strips are designed to give you an "IDEA" of how your mare is progressing. Final determination of how QUICKLY she's progressing is in your hands. Milk can change within hours, and you can go from a 3 to a 4 in no time. However, if you have only 2 pads on the strip changed, you're still pretty safe assuming "no foal tonight". When you turn the 3rd strip, you'd better watch the mare because "within 48 hrs" means anytime from NOW until then! It seems to take an eternity to get from 2 to 3 pads changed , but when you get to 3, it flies! And I wouldn't rely strictly on the milk color either, as my mare foaled during the sticky yellow phase, and by the time the baby nursed it was white.

Sora
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 09:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana--Thanks for the info. Jeese. This isn't easy. I'm still counting on the mare to do it by the book for me, though! Everything seems to indicate the weekend, so I hope she doesn't surprise me. '

She was kind of weird yesterday, but nothing special today. She definitely doesn't seem to be as interested in food, though. Except carrots, of course.

I was on one square yesterday, so I'll test tomorrow and get nervous if I see three squares.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you'll go from one to three that fast...as a matter of fact, my mares sat on 2 squares for a month or more! (as a reference, I have an unbred mare who gets a 2) Is your mare's milk sticky? Not sticky as in "little bit sticky"...but sticky as in "when did I put my hand in glue?" sticky? When it's golden yellow and thick and sticky, you'll know you're very close! Did you say you're mare's a maideN? If so, I guess everything I say could mean nothing!!! They are strange sometimes!

Sora
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana--A month! No way. Hmm.Sticky. Don't know if it was glue stage, but sticky. Nothing close to yellow. The good thing is she's had three foals, at 336,337, and 338 days, so that pretty much puts me at this weekend unless she decides to throw me a loop. She wouldn't do that, though. We have an agreement--she's going to give me a B-day present for Sunday!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, ok....as long as that's the agreement! Maybe she's just one of those that changes instantly....I've heard of them, just never owned one. Hope you get that birthday present! (If not, happy birthday from me)!

Sora
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 05:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from the barn, Diana. 3 1/2 squares, says to retest in 24 hours. Milk still clear, not a lot. Mare very restless and would not stop walking. Vet said to stay there. She had a huge, healthy girl just before midnight--everything prefect.

So much for having ANY clue about signs! Nothing was there, except the pacing and not wanting to finish grain.

Yep--got my birthday present exactly as asked! A girl on Friday night so I can have the weekend. What a GOOD mom!

I guess she's an instant changer! Thank you!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great!!!!!!!!! where are the pics?

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US