SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

It's a girl!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » It's a girl!!! « Previous Next »

Andrea Cobler
Nursing Foal
Username: Ixii182

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare delivered a beautiful palomino filly last night!!!! No problems except that she rolled over toward the wall of her stall and was cast! She was really patient, though, while I went screaming into the house for my husband and kids to come help! We got her turned over and she took care of her little girl like she was a pro. I am concerned that she may not have enough milk in yet. The vet will be coming out this morning so we'll see what he thinks.

Mary Greer
Yearling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so happy for you! Congrats on your little girl!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1450
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CONGRATULATIONS! Post Pics!!! :-)

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 616
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats!!! Can't wait for pictures!!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 298
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea: Yippee! Boy, the fillies are so ruling at the end of this month compared to all our boys who were born in the first of the month!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!!! I also want pictures :-)

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outstanding Andrea!! Filly's rule!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea, CONGRATULATIONS! The long wait is finally over! Happy for you.

Andrea Cobler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PICTURES!!!!The vet was out and everything is fine. She's gotten plenty of colostrum and is doing great!http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Nani/_4249053.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Nani/_4249051.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Nani/_4249050.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Nani/_4249049.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice baby. Looks great! Bet you are popping your buttons!

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 195
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty baby!!! Have you decided on a name yet? By the way, kind of a change of subject...how exactly do you put on the tail bag??? I put one on my mare today but then an hour later I came home and it had come off... I don't know how to do it.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, not sure what you mean, sorry. I bought tail wrap from the feed store. It is self adhesive.

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I braided her tail and then I slipped the bag onto it and then tied the ends kind of around her upper tail by the bone, but somehow it fell off...

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 178
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea - what a darling baby! Also, your mare is gorgeous! Congratulations!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Simply beautiful filly Andrea. What a gorgeous pair. I would be bursting with pride, which I'm sure you are. Congratulations! How did you know she had plenty of colostrum? I'm just wondering how to find out if my mare does, when the time comes. Thank you, Marilyn

Andrea Cobler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone- I am a pretty proud Mama!!!

Emily- I just use vet wrap. I start at the top of the tail and wrap down. As I am going down, I pick up a small portion of hair and fold it up, over the wrap and then wrap the next layer over it and continue. I don't know how to explain it exactly but by using their hair like that it helps to hold the wrap up and keep it from slipping out so fast. After I do this with the entire roll, I go over it with a second roll to keep the hair that I have pulled backwards from getting broken or pulled out. It's a trick that an old horse trainer showed me when I was just a kid and it works great!!! I wish I knew how to explain it better. Maybe I'll take some pictures of how I do it and post it for you, then it's easier to understand- I'll try to get my daughter to help me with that later today and post them.

Marilyn- To make sure that the foal has recieved enough colostrum and has absorbed it properly, the vet can do an IGG serum test. They pull blood once the foal is at least 12 hours old and test it. If they have recieved and absorbed the colostrum, their IGG (or antibodies-basically) will register at a certain value in the lab test. It's the only way to know for sure.

Andrea Cobler
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, her name... her registered name will be "Hula Girl At Heart" I am calling her "Nani". Nani means beautiful in Hawaiian. (I was born on a horse ranch in Miami, Florida- it's kind of a beach-bum/horse person thing.)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, thanks Andrea. I like the explaination on the tail wrapping. Thanks for that too.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 622
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea!! Congrats, on a beautiful filly!!!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US