SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Tim and Jonathan's foaling countdown.

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Tim and Jonathan's foaling countdown. « Previous Next »

Tim Popovitz
Yearling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it might be fun to countdown our remaining mares left to foal. We have had 5 babies in the last 36 hrs. so we are on our final push with 22 to go. To date we have 59 colts and 56 fillies. The fillies have made a huge comeback, accouting for 4 of the last 5 foals.

#27 filly, foaled-out at approx 6 pm tuesday. pretty much a textbook foaling, and fast!!!! not too many signs.

#26 filly, foaled-out at approx 11:30pm tues. again, textbook. This one tried to sneek up on us. We found her with feet already sticking-out.

#25 filly, approx 4am wed.. Textbook

#24 filly, approx 9pm wed BIG filly, textbook delivery, slightly contracted left hind fetlock

#23 colt, approx 1am thurs. HUGE colt, contracted both front knees and fetlocks, and right hind fetlock. We'll need to work on this guy's legs a bit. Being contracted up front, he was a bit difficult to get postiioned for delivery. His left front leg was hooked over his head. With a little manipulation we got him headed in the right direction for a normal delivery. He is one chunk of a foal!!

Perhaps Jonathan can add some pre-foaling signs for the remaining mares as well as a little play-by-play commentary. Our last mare is due May 13th so we will be fairly busy for the next several weeks.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 288
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

22 huh? Major DUHHdom. I think it is cool that you foal some from a mare that you delivered, as you mentioned in one of your posts.

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal
Username: Jadamy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim-

That is a lot of foals! I am new here so pardon me if I should know this. What kind kind of babies do you have? What kind of establishment do you work at that expects that many foals in one season? Must be a very interesting job. I can't handle the stress of waiting on one foal let alone 50 something! Uggh.

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim,
Great idea!! It is funny because I had just been thinking of asking you guys how many you had left and when the last one was due!! :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 291
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: NICE!!!!

Aimee Smith
Neonate
Username: Hotfillyky

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

So Jon tells me that we will be taking a trip to Missouri this summer and that we will be staying with you. This is good to know! Since we don't have horses of our own, I need to get my horse fix wherever I can! Maybe July will be good 'cause Jon is off for two weeks and it is about 1 1/2 weeks more than I can handle of him! lol

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 302
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee: HAHAHAHAHA! We'll be ready...shoot, I'll even have everyone "rode up" by then. We can enjoy the nice HOT, HUMID, MISQUITO RIDDEN, TICK INFESTED summer together!!!! Piglets that are due this weekend ought to be about BBQin' size by then!

Be prepared to return back home with aching sides as it is always a hoot of funny, crazy, bone-tickling drama that will await you here!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay you guys....Bobbi you are making it sound way too much fun for Jonathan to hog it all!! I'm thinking I might have to join you guys!!!! Your summer "amenities" sound just like ours so to be able to throw in a BBQ, bone-tickling drama & entertainment for a few days sounds awfully appealing!!! HAHAHAHAHAA....Aimee...maybe you should spend 1/2 a week at home with Jonathan and the other 1 1/2 in Missouri

Jonathan Smith
Yearling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer

I am Tim's grunt in the foaling barn. We work on a thoroughbred farm in KY. All of our mares are owned by the farm which is real nice. This year we will have 138 foals. We have a total of about 234 mares. It is an interesting job, because we see some of the best broodmares in the world. Last nights #24 had a full sister to a derby winner(I can't say which one). Half the herd is a graded stakes winner and all but I think 27 are winners. I hope this answers your questions.

I will try to do a running commentary on the next few so everyone can get an idea of what I watch for and see.

4:10pm
Currently I have one mare that I am pretty sure will go tonight. I will refer to her as MM. She had clear wax on 4-17 and it changed to white wax on 4-20. She started dripping today at 3:30pm and has move outside in the field all day. She is moving around the stall more than normal and rubbing her butt on anything she can. She has a far off look in her eyes and keeps looking at her side.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 618
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan,
I am curious as to why you can't use names of the horses, farm, etc. Is this because you are part of the Thoroughbred industry or just because it is a sizable breeding farm??
Hope all goes well with tonights foaling(s). :-)

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The horses names can be tracked back to the farm. The big bosses don't mind us sharing our experience, but don't like the farm to be identified. They like all farm activities to remain on the farm.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5:45pm update

MM
Still walking some, lip curling, throwing head, and minimal water intake.

Jon having some Hummus and toasted pita bread for a snack.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 24, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha! Come one, come all...the more the merrier!

OK...you asked to see the MOOSE so here he is in all of his long legged glory, please ignore the knocked-knees...bless his heart...he can't help it...and ignore the dumbed "What Am I Doing Here" expression, he wears it always...can't help that either. But he's so darn uncoordinated you can't help but love the boy!

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/?actio n=view&current=HaleyLenaMooseApril08-1.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/?actio n=view&current=HaleyMooseApril08-1.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/?actio n=view&current=MooseBlossomApril192008-1.jpg
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/Slew%20City%20Warrior/?actio n=view&current=MooseApril2008-1.jpg

Now, in stark contrast (and I'll have to get a nice close up of "JJ" or Rhetti Set Go but, here is a well proportioned quarter baby...Moose's stable mate and elder by only a day

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/RhettiSetGo/?action=view&cur rent=EchoRhettiApril08-1.jpg

Here's Lena & my daughter, Haley who's due June 24, 2008...not my daughter...the horse!
http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/HORSES2008/?action=view&curr ent=HaleyLenaApril2008-1.jpg

And of course, we can't exclude the picture taken this weekend of part of the family demonstrating the multiple uses that a cattle feeding trough can provide in the way of a great winter sport called "sledding" THAT'S another story that would put you on the floor laughing. Boredom can be a serious, terrible thing!

http://s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/BGOVRO_2008/HORSES2008/?action=view&curr ent=SleddingInCowTrough-2.jpg

Jon: Hummus and toasted pita bread...geeezzz...you're a redneck buddy, don't try to impress us with cuisine that doesn't exist in Kentucky!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 310
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and that would be me...the classy chick in the god awful wind suit that went out of style back in 1982 and the big ole mud boots and the classy hair do...oh yea...no wonder my husband hangs out at the local gas station with the 20 year-old blondes!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But he's a cute moose, Bobbi.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry i'm on a diet and Aimee won't let me have pickled pig feet.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee, I wouldn't let him eat pickled pigs feet even if he wasn't on a diet...gas...yikes!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6:45pm update

MM
Still walking, small veins, starting to some occasional searching, some pawing. She is also starting to need her colostrum collected a little more often. Right now I am thinking she will foal about 9 or 10pm.

MM- DUE 4-10
2005- 5 DAYS OVER
2007- 11 DAYS OVER, C.WAX 1 DAY, DRIPPING 12 HOURS

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 620
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jonathan for the info!!

I have to agree with Bobbi. Hummus and toasted pita bread!!??

Bobbi,
I guess I am not a real redneck as I have NEVER had pickled pigs feet and have no desire to either. :-) LOL
Oh, and so what if the wind suit might be from the 80s I still think you look cute sitting in your sled!! Great idea by the way. :-)

This winter with all the snow and ice we were getting my sister and I actually went sledding too. But until we pulled the sleds out from some heap of never used junk in the garage we went down the road on feed bags. Oh, goodness!! I just realized I am a redneck!!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last years foaling comments for MM. COOMBS is a test to for Neonatal isoerythrolysis antibodies in the colostrum. P.S.= Placenta scale. We rate our placentas on a scale from 1 to 5 with 5 being the best. Scrumping is a violent pelvic contraction(thrust) that sometime occurs within 30 minutes or less before they break water.

COOMBS Neg. 3-29 C.wax. 3-31AM Collecting. Signs- Heated up, veined out, scrumping, some walking. Normal presentation and tight foaling. Foal bottle fed mare collected colostrum from 8:40pm - 9:20pm. P.S.=5.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7:40pm update

MM
Still walking, small veins, has rolled a few times, emptying out, frequent urinations. She's still on schedule.

Also TL and MP have popped up on the radar. Both are just not right or ADR(ain't doin' right). Nothing else just a feeling.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update on MM

Loose stool, larger veins, pawing. Getting close

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tail wrap in now on, colostrum sample taken, and just waiting for her to tell me it's time!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

Gimooseraffe looks like a pretty typical TB foal. I've learned, scince seeing some foals from other breeds, that our beloved thoroughbreds are, well, some of the most out-of-proportion, awkward, and uncoodinated equines when they born.

I've seen very few, alright ONE, that was absolutely striking when he hit the ground and actually went on to be a great racehorse ( he won the breeders cup turf among others). Most of the really "pretty" foals fall apart by the time they are yearlings or sooner. Some of them get back together by the time they are 2, some don't.

Moose may be a bit out-of-proportion , but damn, what a shoulder!!!! He may be a little "knock-kneed" but his knee joints look correct, with no offset whatsoever.

I'll be curious to see what he looks like as a yearling.

By the way: Beautiful family!!!

(Message edited by dystocia on April 24, 2008)

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still waiting!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update on MP. Starting to walk the stall. She is a maybe for after midnight, not guarantee yet.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Called first manager out for MM.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MM is starting to search stall(head down tail up). Starting to really heat up and vein out. Kicking at belly.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Called out rest of managers fo MM. Searching hard really heated up. The time in near.

I will be busy for a while Tim or myself will post afterwards.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 621
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Luck!!!!! Pray all goes well!!!!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still waiting

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathon-

Hope all goes well, thanks for all the info. Do you do the calcium "foal watch" milk test? My mare has behaved similar to how you described MM but then kind of went backwards so to speak. One night she was all veined up, kicking and biting at her belly, pacing etc. I slept in the stall and finally gave up at 3:30 when I found her snoring away laying down! If you do the calcium test, have you ever had one foal even though the test said she was far off?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally broke! Stopped everything for 35 minutes prior to breaking. Sneeky!!

No we don't use any calcium test kits. Just man the barn 24/7.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#22 MM Bay Colt @ 10:53pm

More to follow

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare was very slow about foaling. Here is the foaling report. She broke water @ 10:19pm and foaled @ 10:53pm.

COOMBS Negative. 4-17 C.wax. 4-20 W.wax. 4-24 3:30pm Collecting. Signs- walking stall all night, heated up, veined out, pawing, loose stool, backed off for 35 minutes prior to breaking water. Upside down presentation corrected manually. Mare was VERY slow about starting comtractions. Started stimulating after 25 minutes and mare finally layed down and foaled normal, a little tight. Mare received 2cc Rompun IV @ 22:54.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 153
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan,
Thank you so much for the details, it had all MY attention! I could listen and listen to you all day! OK maybe not all day, I am very impressed!

TAKE CARE,
l

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the posts Jonathan, it's very educational and it almost feels like we are there!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 300
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your prediction was just about "on the nose!" Thank-you for the details.

Do you guys chronicle mares during the early days, before foaling? What is your time frame or point of reference?

Congrats on a healthy foal and slick intervention!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This mare was sort of an odd one. She showed all the classic signs and seemed to be progressing just fine, even looked like she was past the point of no return, then all of the sudden, she just quit!!

Jon's timing was spot-on for the signs she was showing.

Well, just got the call for MP, gotta go!

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 197
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you mean when they "heat up?" Like their body temp. goes up?

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#21 I walked into the barn at 2:03am just as MP was breaking water. Textbook foaling! another colt born at 2:20am.

She showed good signs, walking pawing, heating-up, veining-out.

Emily:

They get warm to the touch, and start sweating...most of the time.

(Message edited by dystocia on April 25, 2008)

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

We really don't start taking notes on them until they have decent bag developement, wax, or start a significant behaviour change. There is,however, a WHOLE lot of information passed from one shift to the next just by spending a few minutes talking at the beginning and end of each shift.

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So this is where all the action is! lol You all are having far too much fun here. lol... I hope you don't mind me barging in, I just wanted to say thanks for the great info on this thread and the blow by blow account of the impending birth. What a terrific read! Thanks a bunch!
Marilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 156
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Marilyn,
Yup this is where all the Duh is happening, between CJ,Jonathan,Bobbi and all the others it keeps us all up to date and in stiches! To say the least. Welcome!

L

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi--He ALREADY has horrible gas! If there was a plug for that... As for the pig's feet, no WAY in hell!! I can't wait to see you guys. It will be a regular party, um, hoedown?! Moose is cute but JJ is awesome. How about a few more pics of him?

So are you all going to start a DUHH convention? Will it be the DUHH group? Will you go worldwide? Where will you hold it and when? I think you will need at least six weeks of recovery from foalings before anyone can make sense. lol

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon & Tim - I know at times your job must seem tiresome - but my goodness you two make it sound so exciting. I sit in fascination reading your posts and Tracy is right - I can almost begin to feel like I am there watching!

Pickled pigs feet...yuck Bobbi!!! I'm still bouncing an image of both you and Jon doing the "sow" riding in my mind!!

Jon did you really ride a sow? How would one do that? Now, Bobbi, life on her farm sounds so crazy & entertaining that I believe her when she says she has done it!

BTW Bobbi....Moose is adorable. I can see why you can't help but luv the boy.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't want to stroke Jon's ego too much, but if you look at the time he first mentioned MP (7:40 I think), he was onto her from the start. She foaled about 6 hrs. later. This is one example of the many times our foaling guys are on top of things and how well they know thier mares. To be able to pick the 1 or 2 mares out of 20 that will foal in the next few hours is a skill that takes time to develope.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 623
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and Jonathan. Congrats on more healthy foals!!!

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also TL and MP have popped up on the radar. Both are just not right or ADR(ain't doin' right). Nothing else just a feeling.

Tim I think Jonathan is pretty deserving of praise as you said, he spotted the ADR signs in MP out of some 20 mares...I am truly amazed.

Maybe it was the hummus & Pita bread that keened his radar!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Thanks for the "pet on the head" for Moose. You are so right, these little TB babies are just a different character from other breeds. I loved your remark about the shoulder and knees. That's the exact same remark my vet made when we IGg tested..he said he thought Moose had nice shoulder structure and solid knees. Then he made a remark about how NICE it was to see something different than an Arab. (No offense to any Arab folks out there, we just have an abundance of them in my area and have like nill TB's so my vet just enjoyed seeing the anatomy of a different breed.) I will be equally as interested to see him as a yearling. My intention was to sell him but man...I don't think I can do it. Got that racing fever all over again! God help us all!

You are lucky to have Jon. He's extremely talented (and so is his "grunt" Aimee..hehe), as well as, all the folks in your foaling barn. You are the wheels of the car and it takes everyone rolling at the same time to execute it with such style and finesse as what you all do. You should pat yourselves on the back. There are some future champions on the ground because of all your talents!

Aimee...Jon is gaseous??? My...but my big sow, Black Betty, might just fall in love with him. Poor Jon's wife will have some stiff competition. Hehehe! I wouldn't TOUCH a pickled pigs foot! Yuck..flewwy..nasty! Now some home grown bacon...mmmm...yummy! I took some great pics of JJ last night. I'll load them up over the weekend. He really is quite stunning and the muscle he has developed already at two weeks is incredible!

Interesting note...sweet newborn foals turned to little turds within days and now...two weeks old and they are back to being quite friendly and love attention again. Crazy creatures! Moose has now discovered that I give an outstanding backscratch and he just about knocks me over to get that scratch in. JJ has learned this same trick as well. Just have to keep my lil eyeballs peeled on them at all times because once they get enough scratch, they think I want to play. Gotta love teaching these babies about manners. They get quite huffy about discipline! Haha!

Cyndy: He is so sweet. I'm in love with the chap. Even my son who is QH man says he likes Moose the best! You can bet if its to be done, I've done it. Not because I'm adventurous but because sometimes I sit on my brains. Had to have a "procedure" done last year and I asked my doctor in recovery if he found my head up there.

Jonathan: MM & MP had colts! Nice! Congrats! So in the big TB world, I am assuming that colts are preferred over fillies? So you let them remain colts "just in case" you produce a GREAT or are there those that you make geldings fairly quickly? Just wondering how the bigger barns work in that area. Also, just another question. I have some dear friends of mine (Martin Family) that grew up and still have family on a large Standardbred farm in KY. His dad used to work in the breeding sheds. I am assuming that your "farm" works the same way...that the foaling barns are located in a different area than your breeding barns? If so, do you breed these mares back on foal heat or the next regular heat cycle? Do you transport them out of the foaling area at a certain foal age to be raised in a different farm area? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think we should all get together for a DUHH convention! That would be an incredible idea actually.

Marilyn & Laurie: It is quite the educational experience to be on here with all walks of life and all facets of horse people.

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense taken Bobbi!! \clipart{proud}I grew up with QH's believing that Arabs were hot headed, unpredictable, uncontrollable and too dangerous to have around kids. Although I have seen some Arabs - usually straight Egyptian - that fit that bill I prefer the Polish line who are extremely loving, calm and loyal. Would never have guessed I'd gravitate to this breed...but I did.

Malik has also done a 180 from being the little turd you couldn't catch. I think Lena must be his Great Aunt because he has developed a habit of sneaking up behind you if you are sitting or squatting...all of a sudden you feel this hot breath on the back of your neck and then whiskers!!

BTW...if you passed your crazy sense of humor on to your kids....how in the world does your husband stand it? I would be in stitches or peeing my pants from laughing so hard!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 325
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: Good...whew...because the first horse I ever owned in my life was an Arab and she was the soul of my horse life! You know how it is...when you are geographically surrounded by a dominant breed, I'm sure it is nice for the local vets to get a peak at a breed that is virtually non-existant in this area. I know that for years of dealing with straight QH...I just got to a point where nothing in the QH world stood out as impressive just because that's all you're exposed to, but throw in a different breed and all of a sudden it got your attention. I LIKE Arabs.

I was soooo relieved that they got their little nasty attitude out of their system. Although, I know it will come back around again at some point. Challenging little buggers they are. And you are soooo right...sneaky, sneaky, sneaky and oh my goodness...don't jump if they startle you because it starts a chain reaction.

Yes...my sense of humor ABOUNDS within my children. Well, with everyone except the youngest daughter...I can't figure out how she has survived the family this long. We were all telling her about the big black bear that we had seen the night before over by one of our smaller ponds. (NOT) And we told her about 7:30PM the other night that she was going to have to go out and feed the 3 weaned calves by the pond. She started crying. We told her that it was ok because big black bears only eat little girls arms and that she would escape with her life so she needed to "buck up" and get them shoes on to get her chore done. (We are a VERY sick family when it comes to humor!) ANY of the other family members would have known that this was a big ole pile of dung, but oh no...not Miss Serious...she was a basketcase. So, we're like...come on Lauren...we're just razing you! There isn't any bears out there! Guess who had to go feed the calves...yep, that would be me. She now refuses to leave the safety of shelter when the darkness falls. Poor child, damaged for life.

But really...there's not a member of my family that can be trusted to be serious...about anything at anytime. It really is a non-stop laugh fest. My husband??? Well, he's the sarcastic humorist of the family. My oldest daughter is moving out into her own apartment (she's a Chemist in the city and this rural drive is sucking down the gas) and when she told us that she was moving a few weeks ago, my husband went into her room an hour later and asked her if she had everything packed yet and when the room would be vacant because it was up on the family auction block and whoever would pay the most "rent" for the room was to be the new owner. His last comment before retreating was...hurry it up...you're costing me money...by tomorrow I could have already bought another bale of hay!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear everyone enjoyed the play by play. She was fairly easy to read until she decided she didn't want to break water for an hour and a half. I will try to do another one later on, but right now I have a barn full that I have to keep picked and watered(16 mares and 7 mares and foals).

Cyndy

Yes I did. I was about 10 years old at my uncles farm. You just jump on thier backs and grab the ears. One word of caution the steering and brakes don't work to well! Also ear plugs could be useful.

Bobbi

I don't think we breed much on the foal heat unless it is late in the season. We stop breeding all mares on or about June 15th. All of the mares being bred stay on this farm. the mares and newborn foals will move to their permanant barn when they are 5 to 8 days old. Our stallion barn is on another farm along with the yearlings. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I am just a lowly little foaling guy.

FILLIES = JOB SECURITY and I hate to admit it, but are usually smarter than the colts as newborns.

DUHH Convention 2008 July Irondale, MO

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

We think you need to update your profile! No one believes you are 46 after seeing that picture.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 326
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehehe...I also told her the other night about the conversation with Jos regarding AI as an option for breeding. (My stallion is a lunatic and it would NOT be possible to do that with him). Anyway, little Lauren once again was listening to the conversation and wanted to know what AI was. So I told her that what it was (well...kind of) and then I told her that Dad was going to have to hold a teaser mare and I would hold Warrior and that we were sending her "down under" with a ziplock baggy and it was her job to "collect." Since she's deathly afraid of our stallion (the devil demon) she freaked out again! You know...I REALLY don't know how she is going to survive to 18.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 327
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Oh...but my bones tell me I am! You know...its an odd thing...my 18 year-old brain makes my 46 year-old body really stupid things! Like, I don't know, hold a 1200 pound raging stallion when he decides he wants to dead run over to the other side of 40 acres. My brain: "I've fought bigger and better than you jerk face!" My body: "Oh, Wow, This is gonna hurt really bad!" My Doctor: "We have an EEG scheduled for you tomorrow to make sure that synapsis is occuring between cells and that dementia has not set in!"

DUHH CONVENTION IS ON BABY! I noticed that you picked July...you know I still have a foal to go...due June 24...we could have a last foal watch at MY house and EVERYONE here who has committed DUHH will be on hand to lend their assistance! Talk about a group of neurotic beings. Goodness...we could have everyone bring their foal cams...we could get the birth from EVERY angle! We could let Tim sleep in...I don't know...the chicken coop so that we could CALL HIM like you do now (just so he'd feel at home).

Awwww...great....its formulating....oh...DUHH convention VERY VERY GOOD!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 330
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: I appreciate you answering all the "barn" questions. I thought that most barns operated that way. I just for the life of me could not ever get why stallions are kept in or on a different "farm" than the mares/foals. I guess its to keep the hormones from raging but it just seems "un-handy" to have to move mares and foals or to load up BIG DADDY for a visit. Especially with TB's since live cover is the only option. And you know what??? I'd rather be foaling than doing the whole stallion handling thing.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jon/Aimee/Fellow Foal Barn Attendants: OK..so we have MM & MP who foaled...who's next on the watch list?? (You're so confusing..first you start with # the mares, then you switch in the middle to "M"ing them...now, I'm so lost! Man, and I thought I was following along so well!

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi...we might be distantly related to each other's families somewhere 'cause reading your tale about the bear in the woods by the pond and telling Lauren she'd have to hold the baggie for collection sounds so much like the kind of things I used to pull on my kids as they were growing up. We did the "there is man with a deformed face thus he wears a tow sack on his head that lives in the trees behind the barn" story and would send the kids out to the barn for a chore. Naturally one of us would sneak out behind the barn dressed in an old dark long coat with a tow sack that had eyeholes cut out of it. We'd pace back and forth along the tree line and make groaning noises. Needless to say, even though my son and daughter knew they were being pranked...they couldn't help but just wonder if this time it might not be a prank! Never heard so much screaming and little feet pounding the ground in my life!!! Yes, humor is the food for the soul. And yes, they both grew up undamaged, and unfortunately (or maybe not) they both share my deranged sense of humor. Ahhhh....the tradition shall likely continue.

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 108
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH convention planning is well underway!!!
Besides bringing all the cams for the "every angle possible" shots, we could all take turns on foalwatch while others slept...unless of course we consider the sleep deprivation, watching their every move activities we'd miss as part of the DUHH experience!! Jonathan would you consider holding an informal seminar for all of us on "picking up" on the ADR signs??

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Looking like a quiet night.

Mares go on the date alone. Most of the time BIG DADDY is worth too much and everyone loves to show off their state of the art breeding sheds. I have done some stallions in the past and they are not all bed, but I do prefer this end of the breeding cycle. I started using the mares initials so I could keep track and some of them will jump in line if I use numbers.

Cyndy

ADR = Ain't done it before or what the heck is she doin. Like why would she be eating wheat straw when she has that enormous pile of alfalfa in the corner. Thats the entire course. There we be a test on Monday!

For any Egyptian Arabian fans out there. The stallions I worked with where Ibn Morafic, Rofann, Sakr, Shamruk, Gamal Al Arab and Tammen. Not a bad line up back in the early to mid 90's all under the watchful eyes of the Late Great Tom McNair.

Soufian had died a few weeks before I started.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 25, 2008)

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad some of you find this stuff interesting but, I must admit, having Jon post the evenings activity in this thread allows me to keep up with what's going on down there from the relative comfort of my office.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 08:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

Since you mentioned stallions, I don't think there is any harm in posting the names of some of the sires of recent foals we've had here.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=1396750&origi n=singlesearch

http://www.bloodhorse.com/stallion-register/sr_sire_page.asp?refno=1281016&origi n=singlesearch

And yeah, the chicken coop will be fine, just as long as I can't hear Jon's voice. You see, after foaling season, Jon goes back to the nightwatch crew and starts calling in rounds on the radio. It takes me several weeks of hearing his voice before I stop equating it with FOAL!!!!!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 626
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 09:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim,
I think I would go with the second stallion. He is more in my price range!!

I enjoy Jon's posts as well. Very informative!!!!

Beth Sanford
Weanling
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and Jon:
I really enjoy your posts! They're educational as well as fun to read! Gosh, I wish I was able to do what yall do....nothing around here on that scale!!!

Those are very nice stallions....beautiful and successful....what more could a mare want????

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes both stallions are very nice. Back when I worked in a bloodstock office, I told Jon about Distorted Humor. He was still running then and did a decent job getting home. Just a very honest runner as far as I could tell. I liked him then and I like him now. I would def. love to have one of his babies.

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look what I started?! It's the DUHH! Hhmmmm, wonder what kind of activities and lectures you could come up with there. Obviously, drinks would need to be involved!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JON,
I certainly would listen to you all night to talk about all the "GREATS" you worked with or had the oportunity to know (E-Arabians)Now that is the DUHH factor!!!!!!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Egygtians were an awe inspiring moment for me. I think there was 4 of the 5 Supreme Legion of Merit winners at the time on the farm at once. Plus Aimee being able to pester Patrick Swayze. If I remember right he found out she was pregnant with our son before I did.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 25, 2008)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 628
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon,
Are you talking about THE Patrick Swayze?? Or did I just miss something?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one and only. He is really nice.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 629
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I just looked it up and you were talking about him. Wow, I didn't even know that about Patrick Swayze. I always like seeing the human side of actors. :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 630
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked him in the movies I had seen him in. He was nice in them too. How cool. Ever seen Icon?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JON,
What a rush! Patrick is heavy into the Arabian as well as some other celebrites, MERV was WAYNE.

Its really sad to see patrick going through his ordeal. I think he's awesome to write such great things about his wife of I beleive 30 years! I hope he beats the nasty desease!

Take care,
L

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth, that is funny! "What more could a mare want?" LOL Too bad they aren't so choosy! But then again, I imagine there are stories of them refusing to breed to certain stallions-or not?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 334
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH Convention Seminar #1:

FOAL WATCH FOODS - DO'S AND DON'TS: This informative seminar focuses on foods that should DEFINITELY be avoided to reduce the regurgitation factor if foaling begins during a meal: Highlights include avoiding: tapioca pudding, pickled pigs feet, oysters, hagis and tomato soup. Bonus topics include: "Why Chocolate Is Your Best Friend"; "Fast Food Drive-Ups-Just Tell Them Your Name-They Already Know Your Order, You've Been There Every Night Since Your Mare Went Over 340 Days"; and "Pizza Delivery-There In 20 Minutes Or Its Free"

DUHH Convention Seminar #2:

FOALING SIGNS - WHAT IS THE REAL SCOOP ON WHAT IS A "SIGN"!
A short mini course that includes photos of legs protruding from the rear end of a mare. A simple concept on knowing when your mare is actually delivering.

DUHH Convention Seminar #3:

"TRICKS OF AVOIDING THE BIRTHING PROCESS" Hosted exclusively by my husband. A master of foaling avoidance, he will give all the trade secrets on how to sleep through DUHHdom and never bat an eye. How to remain "on the other side of the fence/barn" when it requires possible hands-on contact during the foaling process and finally, how you can be the keeper of the first aid kit, never move and when the fiasco is over-you are still the 1/2 owner of this creature.

DUHH CONVENTION SEMINAR #4:

"PUTTING TOGETHER YOUR FIRST AID KIT WITH INTEGRITY" Hosted by me, this informative program teaches you how to enter your local general store, proceed to the pharmacy counter at its hightened business time, and proclaim that you would like some assistance in where the mild antibacterial soap, the personal lubricant jelly and the latex gloves are located.

More to come....

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Is Seminar #5 going to be "At Least I Get The Bed To Myself"(for the spouse that suddenly feels single) or is it "How To Sneak In Your Newest Horse".

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

There is a couple of stallions I can remember that only breed if there is a grey mare in the breeding shed. Must of liked older women!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope everyone waiting for there foals can get some of the foaling vibes coming out of here. It looks like 2 to 4 tonight. I hope i'm wrong as I didn't get a very good nap in.

Samantha
Breeding Stock
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 08:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathon, it always amazes me how you are almost ALWAYS spot on with foalings!

Wow!

I also have a question though; Do the mares at the farm you work at get caslicked? I have a new mare this year, a Thoroughbred, who was at a TB breeding farm, and said they Caslick all their mares, and that is supposed to be a commen practice in TB breeding because of the stud fees, they dont like taking risks I guess (even if their conformation is good). If this is done at the farm you work out, how soon would you reccomend taking them out, and putting them back in after foaling? My mare has pretty good conformation.

With her 5 previous foals, she foaled within 2 weeks of her due date.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 09:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Samantha

Almost all of our mares do have caslicks. We open the mares after their water breaks and put them back in two weeks or so. Some of the smaller farms will open the mares two weeks prior.

It kind of depends on your ability to be there and your willingness to do it yourself. We just use a pair of surgical scissors and the mare is naturally numb. Your vet may be able to advise you better. Hope this helps.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 634
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH CONVENTION SEMINAR #6 THE SCOOP ON POOP.

Ideas on how to effeciantly keep the stall clean after your 1500lb broodmare, one third of that being baby fat, has consumed her third bale of hay that day. Which then results in a gatling gun effect. We will also touch on the proper armour for this job as well.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 more fillies tonight. That puts the count to 61 colts and 58 fillies with 18 left to foal

#20 bay filly, foaled at 12:02 am. Normal presentation and foaling. Mare received 12cc banamine and 2 vials of naloxone as a hemorrhage precaution due to her age. She is doing fine. She didn't show too many signs other than streaming milk.

#19 Bay filly, foaled at 1:07 am. Normal presentation and foaling. A little tight at the shoulders though, BIG filly! Mare received 2cc rompun for cramps post foaling, because of such a large foal. She is also doing fine.

Jon may add some of the more subtle signs these mares showed prior to foaling.

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jon i dont know how you get through all this!! I would so love to know what foals you are delivering tho!!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 03:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah

#20 was a Selkirk filly out of a a Group 2 winning Caerleon Mare.

#19 was a A. P. Indy filly out of a Group 3 winning Quiet American mare.

#20 signs- Started dripping milk Just prior to foaling, no wax, small veins, some pawing, not much else.

#19 signs- Walked off and on all evening, dripping just prior, no wax, nothing else. She just had the look! I can't explain the look. After a few hundred you just know it.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, an A.P. Indy filly!

What I would do to work around such well bred foals. lol

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 323
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 05:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and Jon, So much I want to say. Love the time lines. Can't get over Jon's knowing which mares are gonna go soon.

What an awesome responsibiltiy you have! If stud fees run in the thousands and hundreds of thousands, it is even more at stake. Boggles my mind! Glad they are in good hands.

Okay, so the Stallion liked older mares. You are joshing me, of course. Gray mare in the barn needed before breeding-that was a good one!

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh i like Selkirk!! Do you only deal with foals for flat only, or do you breed jump mares too? Its not so big with you guys i dont think. I am a huge NH racing fan in the UK!!

Adriana
Nursing Foal
Username: Faluut42

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 05:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, what I would give to apprentice with you!! I have yet to foal out a mare but assuming as goes well this year will be foaling out 8 (1 of them my own mares) so it should be a good start. (im excited to say the least).

I have to ask though how do you stay awake through the weeks and weeks of foal watch?? We have 4 mares (3 maidens) due within a week and only 2 of us on foal watch. I have a feeling we are not going to get much sleep (although I cant really compare that to the number of mares you foal out per week) :D

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 06:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hannah

Flat only and we run a few in the UK.

Adriana

I work 4pm to 12am monday through friday and 7 pm to 7am on saturday. It's not to bad when it's your job and you get to go home after your shift.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon,
What did you mean you gave the mare some banamine and 2 vials of naloxone? Due to the age of the mare?? I have a 22 year old? Am I not informed about something here?? She's an Russian Arabian with no history of foaling problems, she's in excellent health (per VET) has had a excellent pregancy other than being allergic to the vaccines? I'm worried now

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie,

Don't be worried, if your mare is healthy then there is every chance she will be just fine. I've delivered many a 20+ mare's foals without issue.

We started using the Naloxone many years ago because it was thought that it would help prevent a hemorrhage in our older mares or a mare that had a history of difficult foalings. No one is really sure why it worked or even if it worked and there is no scientific data to back it up. These days, the medical vets are pretty sure it really doesn't do anything to help at all. However, we have hundreds of successful foalings of high risk mares that we have used this stuff on, so I doubt we will stop using it anytime soon.

I do think the banamine can be VERY useful post foaling if the cramps begin to hit them hard, especially in the older mare. It can keep them comfortable and quiet which in itself can prevent a bunch of problems.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

Yes, when you look at the dollar values it can be mind-boggling. For years I tried not to ponder the value of some of these animals because it would drive me CRAZY. These days, it doesn't bother me much. My boss(es) has always instilled in us the philosophy that it doesn't matter what they are worth, they ALL need the best care we can offer. This philosophy can be seen throughout the operation. The retired horses, the teasers, the leased nursemares are all given the same level of care as the million dollar superstars and are equally important to the overall success of the farm.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim
Thank you for re assuring me! I have tried to cover every possiblity that I can! Just in case!
I also agree with your reply to CJ!

Thanks Tim for caring!

L

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 331
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, you have surprised me in a good way, Tim. If I ever send a horse out to foal, I hope I am lucky enough to find one like your's, with people like you guys.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 288
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I can't even leave town for a few days, and the whole damn place goes nutty!!! LOL
Everyone's having babies....Tim and Jon going like crazy...Bobbi.....(well, just crazy as usual) BUT STILL! It'll take me 5 days just to catch up with all this!
Luckily, my mares waited on my return, and noone foaled while I was away. We still have 3 pads on the test strip....and we still WAIT.
...ugh...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We DUHH waiters welcome company. Yes, lots of foals lately, huh?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 289
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dear Technical Support, I seem to be having some issues that I cannot resolve. I recently upgraded my system from "Miniature Mares 7.0" to "Bred Mares 1.2", and over the last few weeks, the program has self installed "Overdue Mares 3.1". "Overdue Mares 3.1" has wiped out all other programming on the system, and "Housekeeping 9.2" and "Sleeping 3.4" no longer work. I tried fixing this problem by running "Vacation 2.4" this weekend, but when I returned the problem had worsened, and I find that for some reason "Irritable Cranky Mares" is running in the background, and when I try to uninstall it, a message pops up that simply says, "DUHH". Please advise on how to correct this situation, as laundry needs done, floors need swept, kids need bathed, and I need sleep...but everytime I try to run those programs, "Stare at That Mare 4.3" takes over and runs in their place. Shy of running c:\sellthatmare.exe I have no idea what to do.
Thank you

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana

Now this is funny, I take it your a computer person???? Or just well informed??

Try using a Virus Scan it might help your problems!

LOL
L

jennifer adamy
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my that is great...I needed a good laugh!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Hahaha! Very Funny!

Tim: Nice stallions! And affordable (cough, cough, hack, hack) My mare would be "cousins" with them. Blossom is out of City by Night by Slew City Slew by Seattle Slew. And on her mama's side out of Mari's Book by Northern Dancer. Sadly, my poor mare certainly doesn't have that kind of price tag...hahaha! Maybe the Gimooseraffe will reclaim some of the family's dignity back.

Jon/Tim/Aimee: Congrats on your new foals over the weekend! Great job, as expected!

Emily: I LIKE the seminar! Great idea!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHH CONVENTION SEMINAR #7:

"HOW TO FILL OUT REFUND CARDS ON DEFECTIVE FOAL CAM RETURNS"
This seminar is designed for those individuals who have spent time and money to install the state of the art foaling cams that allow you to monitor your mare and ensure that you are there for the blessed event. It will focus on how to avoid divulging the true facts on how the camera is being returned in a gazillion pieces because after all this trouble, you still slept through it.

DUHH CONVENTION SEMINAR #8:

"AI AND THE WILD STALLION-CAN IT BE DONE?"
This seminar is a hands-on experience for testing of theories on the best way to deal with the non-halter broke stallion. Answers to this great experiment may include: "How Long Do The Ropes & Collection Pole Need To Be To Avoid Human Plastic Surgery Consultation?" or "Does It Hurt When The Human Jaw Is Relocated To The Back Of The Head" or "How Fast Was That Front Leg Going When The Strike Occurred?"

Medical facilities are conveniently located within 15 minutes.

Bonus prizes will be given out to the individual(s)who actually can collect anything.

RECREATIONAL ACTIVIIES:

8 SECOND SOW RIDE-This event will be a timed event in which no riding devices will be allowed, such as bull riding ropes or hand holds. All areas of the sow are available for any type of grip you can muster-including the ears. The jackpot event will add $1 to the winnings if you can outlast our demonstrator & reigning champion, Jonathan.

LARGEST WHELP FROM AN INSECT:
Missouri, known for its heat & humidity, offers up some of the largest, most annoying blood-sucking insects in Northern America. On the final day of the convention, all participants can exhibit their largest and most lyme diseased/west nile bite for an extra tank of gas to get the heck out of this forsaken state! Sponsored by DEET...don't go to Missouri without it!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 341
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 01:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana-too, too funny!!! If we had a contest on funny posts, your's would definietely be in the top ten! Bobbi, you'd be in there too!

Diana, the only solution to your computer problem is to do what Catherine does and send your mares to the foaling farms! Chuckle. But since your computer is all but frozen, that won't work for you. So you are going to have to ride out the error messages and remain in DUHH mode until it resolves itself, possibly without human intervention!!

Bobbi, Love the seminar on returning the camera that one put up to see foaling but slept thru. Ha! That could be me!!

Add on seminar: How to identify the following:

Dummy Foal
Moose
Giraffe
And every variation there of!

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this is seriously off topic but thought that those people who live in MO (and you know who you are) could answer me a question or two.

What is Columbia like? What do you know about the vet school? How do you like MO in general as well as any location specific advice. TIA!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#18 bay filly by A.P. Indy out of a multiple graded stakes winning Touch Gold mare. Goober did this one Sunday night.

4/27 c. wax am w. wax pm Coombs:all neg. Signs:walked again a couple days on/off
hard couple hours before heating up,veining out,loose stool,etc. Normal presentation,foaling.
Mare received 1.5cc rompun,12cc banamine at 21:55 for cramping. P.S.=4
***colostrum collected***

#17 Bay filly by Street Cry out of a listed stakes winning mare by El Gran Senor. She tried to sneak up on them out in the field this morning. They found her with water broke and one leg out.

COOMB'S ALL NEG-Brought in from field, had just broke water. Normal presentation, took mare a while to get going. Fairly tight foaling after shoulders were out. Mare given 12 cc Banamine and 2 vials Naloxone at 9:57am. P.S=5. Foal given 2nd enema @ 3pm and soapy enema @ 3:45pm.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like 2 for us tonight. Two dripping and they normally do it for 12 hrs or less.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 636
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee,
We are in Missouri and were looking to move closer to Columbia at one point. I really don't know much about the vet school but I do know that there are supposedly some good vets in the area which is what I was hoping for. Are you thinking of going to school there??

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 338
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 04:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee: Columbia is AWESOME! (The vets I worked for, one graduated from MU-Columbia & one from K-State). I was just up there this fall visiting the veterinary school. They are absolutely incredible and are always on the leading edge. They were instrumental 20 years ago when I had a devastating farm issue that took out 1/2 my breeding herd. Drove carcasses and one live horse through the night...they met me at 1:00AM with a full staff ready to go. I think they are outstanding. It is very, very difficult to gain entrance into their program. One of the vet techs I worked with had farm experience, vet experience and was a straight A student...didn't get admitted the first time...she went to MU Grad School and got a Masters in Forestry & Wildlife...applied again...didn't get in again...got a Masters in Biology...applied again and finally got acceptance. She has 3 Masters now and believe it or not works in a research and development company. She never had a private practice. We used to tease her that her "job" was to go to school. She raises some incredible Poco Bueno horses now!

You'd love the school but Jonathan will tell you...you'll hate the heat & humidity here!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 104
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Shes from South Alabama and Baton Rouge. She likes that type of weather! Me, not so much!!!!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 339
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: You are equally as funny! I like the convention topic...hehehehe! He actually galloped yesterday across the field...what a stride...bless his little gimooseraffe heart...he had his ears flat back against his head like he was racing the wind. Cute, cute, cute! He's not so hot on the stopping part though...it was more of a crash landing kind of stop...his front legs stopped but the back, well lets just say they didn't work simultaneously with the front half of his body.

Jon: Bay must be the color for you right now. Tell Goober he did a nice job and the almost missed the sneaky one...hehehhe

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: Haha! Yes, she would fit right in at MU, bet she wouldn't even break a sweat! Kentucky boys just need to toughen up! Hehehehe! I'll have to have Aimee whip you into shape.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just like the DDD(Da%# Daylight Dwellers)to almost miss one. How can anyone stand to get up that early?

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for that info. Jon's right (crazily enough). I am from what I call LA or Lower Alabama. He was fortunate that I came to KY for college (Equine Management) and gave him a chance. lol

Emily--Yep, considering all my options. Vet school is my goal although a few years away since I need more prerequisites and with 2 children at home (plus Jon), I will have to go slow.

Bobbi-- I know it isn't easy (anywhere anymore) but I have to try. I have been kicking it around for soooo long. Thankfully, Jon is extremely supportive (we will see what he says when I am IN vet school.) I have been involved with horses on some level since I was 8YO. Working in several emergency animal clinics as well as general practices. We also foster (dogs) and have for some time.

So you see, if I plan to do the things I need to then I MUST go. It's probably what I should have done all along...but then I wouldn't have met Jon and well...
My confidence lacks from time to time but Jon is the cheerleader, skirt, sweater and pompoms.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 343
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee: I think its awesome that you and Jon share a commonality that keeps you connected. Go for it! We'd love to have you in Missouri...although Jon would probably be shoving you through your schooling here just to get out of this forsaken state! (hehehe) You sound like me with your life experiences...my biggest downfall is I am attracted to the underdogs of the animal world. Gets me into trouble and for some reason increases my feed bills!

Jon: We want to see you in a skirt! Hehehe!

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I have been very fortunate (sshhh, don't tell Jon I said that or he will get too big for his britches. lol). I too feel a strong connection to the underdogs. I have always thought that we are here to protect these animals. They have been entrusted to us. Of course, this is also why I become infuriated when I hear/see abuse. I believe there should be stiffer laws for animal abusers. One thing I would definitely like to work on!
If we had space then we would have horses too. Lack of land saves us there but not by much since we have friends with property. Having my own horse would be the crescendo for me. I have always wanted one but it hasn't been the right time. Once you are in our family then you are there for the rest of your life so we wait until the timing is better.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee: Timing??? What's that??? Let me know if in the future you're interested in any gimooseraffes...they melt your heart or in any "JJ's"...they steal your heart as well with their little muscle-bound bodies of attitude!

For all the stress these guys give me and the insanity that usually goes hand-in-hand, they give me back something when the world turns upside down and life has kicked me in the pants. It doesn't take much more than a soft nuzzle from a sweet mare or a quick ride bareback with nothing but a halter & lead or the satisfying lip pursing from a foal getting a good backscratch to put me in a state of peace and joy that only they can take me to.

Aimee Smith
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I know. Growing up, I was lucky to have a very good friend whose family had a trail riding stable. I had lots of opportunities to ride different horses. Very educational! I would love a JJ. Jon and I are trying to figure out a trip to MO. Depending on gas prices and time.

Yea!!! Just got my acceptance letter to EKU for completion of vet school prerequisites. I am so relieved!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!!!! You're on your way to getting to your dream job. Hey...will you be my vet??? I'll bet the trip charge would be outrageous from KY to MO!?!

We'd love to have you visit. If the gas prices get too high...you'll HAVE to get a horse...it may be the only way any of us can afford to get around in the future!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 04:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many hilarious people on this board. I don't know what I'd do without you. Brings out the humor in me as I'm not so funny in person. But the humor has been great. Lots of comedians online and you know who you are! And then there are the ones that just slip in some unexpected quip that brings a laugh just when I need one!

Well, might as well get some sleep. My girl is just standing in her usual spot. Nothing new with her. That's okay though. Gives her more time to get her immunity up from moving to this place and for the vaccinations to become more effective for the foal once she delivers.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geeze, Jon just won't update the countdown.

we've had 4 (2 colts, 2 fillies)since the last update leaving us with 12 to go. All pretty normal foalings, the filly we just had about an hour ago was a little tight though, took a bit of pulling to get her out (#13 of course). The colt we had at about 9 pm (wed night) was an NI positive, so we are having to muzzle and bottle feed him until about 10pm tomorrow (thurs), he is doing fine otherwise.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 353
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jon: You're on the downhill slope now. Only 12 to go...must seem like post-foaling DUHHdom hitting. Glad to hear that all four newbies are doing well! Give us colors...were they bays?

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 173
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim
Did the mare have a history of NI positive foals or was it just this stallion/mare combination that produced this NI positive foal ? Do you check all your foals for this problem before allowing them to nurse?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#12 Bay Filly by E. Dubai out of a Theatrical mare.
She almost snuck this one by me. Of course I am bottle feeding the NI positive foal and we had another mare hemorrhage on the other side of the barn.

5-1 C.wax am, w.wax pm, 16:30 collecting. Few signs- walked off and on, layed down and broke water, did not heat up or vein out. Normal presentation and fast foaling. P.S.=4.
****Colostrum Collected****

Sorry I missed a few it's been kind of hectic.

Heather

The mare was COOMBS positive last year. We do a simple blood test that cross matches the mares colostrum against the foals blood. This years we did a NI screen on the mares blood to check for antibodies.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 390
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 01:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeeeezzzzz Tim! Something more for me to think about! I can't take it! Okay, that's it-no more-no more-LOL Oh, wait a minute, that's the reason I came to this board originally-to get edumacated about foaling. So-sigh-what is NI? I presume it is passed to the foal in the colostrum?

How is the hemmorhagic (sp?) mare doing? You guys have been sooooo busy! I wishing the rest are easy delivers and uneventful!

Is there any chance someone might bring another one in though? HeHe.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 04:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So-sigh-what is NI?

Ask and you shall receive: http://academic-server.cvm.umn.edu/NCN/isoerythrolysis.htm

There are plenty of resources online. We have probably 3-5% of our mares that are NI positive each year. The incidence is higher for thoroughbreds for some reason.

How is the hemmorhagic (sp?) mare doing?

She is doing very well actually. Vitals are normal, heart rate is just a tick high though, but that should begin to come down as her body negins to repair itself. We ran 5 liters of fluids over a span of 8 hrs. A bit of banamine to keep her comfortable and some Naxcel to help prevent an infection. She is having normal stools and drinking plenty of water. she has improved steadily during my shift.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 373
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Questions regarding NI. In the article, it says that there are two ways for this to occur in the mare that is NI positive...through the result of a blood transfusion or a previous foaling. I, as a human, have an rh factor so having 4 kids...I certainly understand this concept. First, I'm not sure what they mean by "previous foaling"...is this like humans in that the first born is usually ok regardless of the antibody issue but it is successive foals that are at risk? Secondly, with humans, they give us shots to prevent this antibody reaction...is there nothing on the market for equines that would protect both mare & foal and prevent this antibody reaction? Thirdly, should I as a TB owner test for this since this foaling was her first, I'm guessing I wouldn't have seen a reaction this time around but could present itself with next year's foal?

Let me know if I'm on the right track with this topic.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, this is a very busy thread...Hi how is everyone doing? I'm still hanging around the June foal watch, probably July LOL...anyway, I thought I'd give a 1st hand experience of a foaling farm I had last night. My mom and I were camping out at a TB foaling facility waiting for her mare (who was due 4/26) to foal. She is a maiden. She is in the "holding" pen with her little foaling alert sewn into her vulva with two other mares. When we got there last night, she was laying down and moaning, then would lay out flat, raise her tail and moan...we thought, well, maybe tonight. We went to the back of her suburban to rest and about 11:00, I thought, I need to get up and look around some. She was laying down, and one other mare who is not due for a few weeks was laying down. THe other was eating hay and wandering around. Next thing I knew, she was slowly pacing, smelling the ground and acting like she wanted to lay down, but then not.....I realized she was fixing to deliver that baby.....sure enough, she layed down, the alarm went off...boy that was something...beep beep beep, red flashing light very loud....and here came the calvary, lights went on in the house near the paddock, lights went on the gator and people running through the night...what excitement...all three mares jumped up and looked like they thought...where the heck is the fire? They gathered her up, the sack was already out and put her in the foaling stall.....within 10 minutes a beautiful bay filly was born....textbook....it was really neat to see these three pro's at work...they all had a part to do and the follow the same procedure every time....a new little filly into the world....my hats off to you all that do this for a living, what an adrenaline rush and you can tell you live for the job...they did such a wonderful job with this mare...we then went to check on mom's mare, she was happily eating and basically doing nothing...so we went home, happy to have seen someone's horse give birth.....kim

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

It sounds like you are on track. Maidens are not at risk of producing the antibodies. The only way a maiden would be an NI risk is if they had a blood transfusion prior to foaling. All other mare are at risk (although a small one) of producing the antibodies thier second foaling.

Unfortunately, there is no treatmant to prevent the antibody reaction. The only way to avoid it is to deny foal the mares colostrum.

The chances are very slim you will see this problem, but the consequences can be fatal. An NI screen can be done prior to foaling and I believe it costs less than $100 to have one done. We do a coombs test which crossmatches the foals blood with the colostrum to test for antibodies. We do this for ALL mares except maidens. It is fairly accurate but you need some basic lab equipment such as a centerfuge, a micropipette and a bit of practice to get consistant results. For us, the lab equipment has paid for itself MANY time over. The NI screen is a simple blood test which is preformed by a Vet lab. It is VERY accurate and relatively cost effective considering the consequences. We do this for all mares who have had a positive coombs result in the past.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Almost forgot.

#11 bay filly by A.P. Indy out of a multiple graded stakes winner by Quiet American. Around 2am 5/2/08.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 401
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim, that was a great bird's eye view of he action. Thank you for sharing. It's great the farm lets you hang out there, waiting for your mare. How is she doing?

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ: Well tonight, she's acting like she's not even pregnant.....we are still waiting...maybe we'll get a storm in next day or two and that will do it...at this rate, Sweetie may go before here LOL and she's not due until 7/3.....I'll keep you posted Kim

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#10 bay colt by Selkirk out of a multiple winner by Darshaan at 12:30am.

5/2 c.wax to w.wax to dripping just prior. Signs:walking stall hard by back door
several hours,emptied out,heated up,veined out,etc. Normal presentation,easy foaling. Mare received 12cc banamine @ 12:33a.m. Also 2cc ace i.v. and i.m. for being stupid when foal wanted to nurse. P.S.=4

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#9 bay filly by Singspiel out of a multiple grade 2 winning Spinning World mare.

NO Wax. Signs- no water intake, nothing else. Broke water on old side. Upside down on initial palp, mare corrected, normal foaling. Placenta came out as umbilical broke. Mare received 2cc Rompun IV @ 22:42 and 12cc Banamine IV @ 23:06 for cramping. Umbilical tape applied to navel @ 00:15. Foal bottle fed 9oz of mares colostrum @ 00:10. P.S.=5.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, Jon Anyone,
I just came on from checking my mare who was due -4/17-04/29 and their is a slight brownish crust on the edges of her vulva? I did look inside and everything is ok, except up on the top edges their is slight blood. none in her urine except for the drips that run off her vulva, kinda the color of a tinge of blood, brownish hue to it no smell??

Please tell me that this is the plug??? Its been so long since her last foal I'v forgotten???
I'm really concerned right now since she is 22

Thanks for any input!

I do have a call into the Vet

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, it is uncanny how you can spot a mare that is ready-as in right now ready-to foal, even when they try to fool you.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually the plug is white or white with a pink tinge. Is it the consistancy of melted peanut butter? It could be Nocardioform. We see it a few times a year. All of ours survive, but if you see it in the placenta call your vet.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/2002/March/16/Nocardioform-mystery -solved.aspx

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 393
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Thanks for the info. So...since I don't have a centrifuge handy at my farm at foaling...hahaha...should I or can I blood test my mare and (maiden)foal now to see if there is an issue? How would I know?

I don't have a problem with an NI test prior to foaling the next time around (less than $100??? pfftttt...that's nothing compared to what I spend on these critters a year)but I'm sure that I'll have to find out if my vet offers that. I have a relatively large veterinary service I use but this may be something that is more specialized (??? I don't know...I'm asking you Tim/Jon...hehehe) that I may have to have our Equine Specialties hospital perform (they are located 60+ miles away..ugghhh)???

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kim: Hysterical commentary! I had a visual!! Congrats on seeing the pros in force and the healthy foal that resulted!

And...you will not be alone in June (or possibly into July for that matter..hahaha)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 395
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: So...are we down to 8 to go??? Am I still counting correctly???

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 125
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I am a little behind.

#8 5/5/08 ch. colt by Pivotal out of a Grade 3 winning Theatrical mare.

N.I. pos. 4/18 at Hagyards. 5/4 late p.m. c. wax 5/5 w. wax just prior. Signs: walking stall all night, loose stool, pawing, heated up,veined out. Normal presentation,foaling. Bottle feed and strip mare for 24 hours.
Bottle fed 08 Land of Dreams colostrum 9oz. starting at 6:10a.m.

#7 5/5/08 ch. filly by A.P. Indy out of a mutliple Grade 1 winning Rich Mans Gold mare.

She foaled during the daytime. They don't take quite as many notes as we do at night.

broke water in watch paddock .normal presentation and foaling . p.s .=4

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: So now we're down to six more...and them...boom...post partum depression sets in?!?!?!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

I don't think so. I go to a 4 day work week after 6 more mares!!! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will need the rest of the year to recover.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 404
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: More time for you to train JJ for Aimee...oops....I mean...good for you! Hahahahaha!

Tim: Hey, I know we discussed my "Echo" on another thread regarding her horrible laterally tearing on this foaling. But...vet says she's good to go as far as breeding and she didn't get much scarring in the urethra area so there shouldn't be any urinary issues.

Geeeezzzzz...I'm scared poopless to re-breed her and live cover is my only option with my stallion waiting around just begging to breed something. My poor gelding has gone to clinching with all these mares in foal heat all over the place.

Vet says she's fine to live cover. Do I just do it and put my hands over my ears and shut my eyes really tight and when its all over go have a six pack?!?! She's been through her foal heat and a regular cycle now...she should be ready again in what...14 to 21 days...?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 441
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, sure someone won't slip another in on you before the end? LOL

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

I am pretty sure I have the homefront protected.
I have taught my dog Faru to watch for any horses on the property. He may be scared of Aimee, but he doesn't listen to her very well! My boy won't let me down. Beside the more I am home the more attention he gets and he loves getting in the recliner with me(all 95 lbs).

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: Hahahaha...you are pretty darn funny! Just remember "Estrus" has priority...thus women have power...thus proven with your OWN JOB!!!!

A man and his dog doesn't have doo-doo over a female & hormones!!!!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

He's neutered and not real bright. He doesn't know about the "estrus" rules.

Aimee Smith
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but he DOES know about the "Aimee" rules. So if I say it is allowed then he will go hide in the corner.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahahahaha!!!! Jon/Aimee: You crack me up! The two of you could be my husband and I. Way too funny!

So...with Aimee rules does that mean that perhaps Jon is "neutered" as well?!?!?! (Nothing like starting and stirring the pot for a little friendly bantering!)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Maybe a little like you and husband. Just a lot younger.

(Message edited by kynwatch on May 08, 2008)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#6 bay colt by Unbridle's Song textbook.

#5 bay filly by Street Cry, hip lock, 4 people pulling with straps!!

4 more to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How's the bay filly doing now? And mama? Okay I presume? Poor mama. Can't be any fun. Thank-goodness she had all you guys pulling for her; pun intended! LOL

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: Yikes...4 people pulling...now that IS hip locked! Makes me clinch my legs together...sympathy pain. I would bet you're close to being done now. Since #6 & #5 were on Thursday. Wow...I sure wish you could show pics...I would love to see the colt #6!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 478
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Tim and Jonathan, you guys haven't posted anything since TH? So you got to rest? Time to get those mares down to business! LOL

What will we do without you when this is all over? I feel like I'm losing friends. I hope many of us will continue to converse. Will you still be around to share foaling stories?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#4 5-11-08 B.COLT BY Street Cry out of a unraced Nureyev mare. She tried to sneak this one by us. It was 4 minutes from when she broke water until the foal was out. Now that fast. I try and get a few pictures in the next couple of days.

4-28 Clear wax to white wax AM, dripping PM, poor quality. Few signs-walked for couple of days, some veins, up and down. Normal presentation and easy fast foaling. Mare received 2 vials Naloxone and 12cc Banamine @ 22:49. Foal bottle fed ****** *****'s '08 NI Negative donor colostrum @ 23:50(6oz), 00:25(10oz). P.S.=4.
Mare given 1.5cc Ace IV and 2cc Ace IM at 3:40am for calming effects.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 430
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow...you are almost done Jon/Tim!

Tell Aimee "JJ" has a boo-boo on his butt now...poor baby, my family thinks he is such a turd and trouble maker...I like him...makes me stay on my toes and he LOVES me....hehehe!

Aimee Smith
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry for JJ's boo boo. I would say to kiss it and make it better but well.......lol

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Monday, May 12, 2008 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some photos I had laying around. You will see some younger people in some of them. We have student interns that spend some time with us during foaling season.

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/kynwatch/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 482
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! Great pictures. What a Class A barn! Those floors look so polished it seems like the horse would slip on them, unless that was a trick of the eye.

Nice to see what you look like Tim. And is the other one pulling on a leg in another pic. Jon? Are the students veterinary interns?

Thanks again for sharing these great photos.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 03:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had number 3 tonight! that leaves 2!!!!!!!!

I'll let Jon post the report.

Everything is going pretty good at the moment. We've had a few sick babies, but nothing we haven't been able to get going on the right track.

CJ: The bay filly and mare that we struggled with are doing GREAT at the moment. Mom had a couple tough days, she kept cramping, so we did our best to keep her comfortable.

The other guy in the picture is another manager here.

I'm not really that bald, it's just the lighting.

Bobbi:

Tough call on Echo. I'm sure you will make a good decision.

RE: the NI screen. To be honest, I'm not sure how specialized it is. There are 2 world-class equine hospitals within 30 min. of here so I guess I sort of take things like that for granted. Your local vets are probably going to say it's overkill, and it may be, but I wouldn't foal-out a thoroughbred without knowing for sure either by the NI screen or the Coombs test. I've seen too many positive NI's in my foaling career.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#3 bay Filly by Dynaformer out of a Grade 2 winning Caerleon mare.

5-11 c.wax. 5-12 w.wax am, dripping 6pm. Signs- walking stall, loose stool, small veins, heated up few minutes prior. Normal presentation and very good foaling. P.S.=4 ***colostrum collected . first igg. 487 tubed 1.5 pts mares collected colostrum at noon.

2 more to go!!!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!!!

Tims post
I'm not really that bald, it's just the lighting.}

(Message edited by kynwatch on May 13, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: I LOVE the pics! I already had the visual in my head and its just like I imagined!

Tim: Everyone our age is bald...well, except for me...I don't even notice it anymore. I notice the people our age who HAVE hair! Hehehe!

The Echo thing....I don't know...she's so much better (and happier) when she is in foal. The AI option...I don't know about that either...seems somewhat of a waste to have a perfectly good stallion standing around who's only going to breed one mare this year. The embryo transplant thing...I don't know...don't know much about that option at all, although I assume its some type of contractual agreement, but it seems really risky to me (since she had such a difficult time with tearing in delivery) to loose a mare to someone else's foal if it would happen to "go bad" next year and possibly loose the foal as well. I've got a few weeks...I'm still sitting here simmering my thoughts in my head. She's just amazing with the healing but unfortunately, I can't see what's beyond the surface. You know, when you live in "Good Ole Boy" country, I look like the worry wart. The philosophy out here (not with my vet of course) is "If They Ain't Dead Yet, Its Good To Go"

And by the way...YOU GUYS MAKE IT LOOK EASY with all those foals/mares in that green field! What's up with that?!?!?! I can't even get two buddy mares to keep from killing each others foals??? So what's the big secret that you need to share with us? Huh? Huh? Tell me, tell me!

The NI thing...I think I'll check with my vet. I don't know that they could run it there but with MU Vet School being in Columbia...maybe we could ship some blood there for testing...I'm sure they have it. I would think that somewhere here in St Louis area there would be that testing with Fairmont Park being just across the river in Illinois...my goodness...its not like there aren't any thoroughbreds around here. I just might have to get a bit more out of my circle to find it. I'm sure I could call the track vet at Fairmont and I'll bet she could tell me. Sorry...just thinking out loud.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aimee: Hehehe...I HAVE kissed little JJ's butt...more to piss off my hubby who stomps and pouts that I'll kiss the horse's butt but I won't kiss his. Of which I smartly reply, I'm into horses...not jackasses. Hehehe! Its pretty funny though because little JJ doesn't care for the "rinse" cycle of his betadine scrub wash. I have now resorted to using my son's Super Soaker with the Reserve Backpack to power hose him around in circles within the confines of a round pen. Video would be a comical addition to the DUHH Convention highlights! He tolerates the scrub and the antibiotic gel but that middle rinse thing...nopeee...will not have anything to do with that! You ought to see him...he gets so mad at me...flickin' that tail up and down real fast and stomping his feet at me...swear that he glares at me! Pretty funny! He is going to be a real winner. I see two years of temper tantrums on the horizon...hahaha...but when we get through all of that...he's going to be one of those attachment horses. You know, the one's that will lay over and die for their primary care giver but put someone else on his back and he'll give them heck!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2008 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi's #3: Bay Mare, Foundation Quarter Horse (I swear there's a Clydesdale in the woodpile somewhere), Incredibly Fat, Tank Shaped, Big Eater, Doesn't Look Much Different Pregnant Than What She Is Open, Foal Is Appearing To Be Equally Tankey Within The Confines Of Mom's Belly, Quite Active-Feet Protruding From Both Sides Of Belly, Likes Laying Laterally, No Bag Development Yet, Mare's 5th Foal, June 24th Seems Like Forever And A Day From Now, Only Sign-Mom Is Hoovering Pasture And Sucking Up Lots Of Groceries!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a pig "foaling" tragedy X 3 last night. Let's just say...it was not a good night with the three "maiden" pigs and their piglets. Three gilts and there is now nothing to show for these four months.

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathon, I wish you could post pictures of that Dynaformer! He's always been a favorite of mine :-)

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Sorry about the pig catastrophe.

Samantha

I will try and bring the camera tomorrow night.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 08:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Sorry about the bad pig day. :-(

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 505
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Bobbi. That really stinks. How odd three went into labor at once.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 506
Posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, that was funny about you kissing JJ's butt. I just want to sqeeze my Poco's littl buns so many times. They are just too cute!

And I looked at your picture of your gimooseraff and by gosh, my Poco does have that "look!" HaHaHa. Their too cute!

Bobbi and Catherine those were amazing stories. Wow. Bobbi you sound like me at that age, except I wasn't that brazen and had little idea about performing. Good for you and your determination!

And Catherine, holy s... I've never seen a horse that mean!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1618
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbie~So sorry you had a piglet tragedy :-(

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 447
Posted on Thursday, May 15, 2008 - 05:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the tragedy thoughts from everyone. I just wanted to say that isn't unusual for them to labor at the same time...these three were breed on the same 2 days. Our sows almost always labor together. Its odd but when one starts, the other one starts in. We had two litters last fall that way and it was a good thing because Betty had 16 piglets while Trouble only had 6. Betty could not have nursed all of hers so here's the bonus side...as they are being born, the piglets will wander around until they find a teat...they don't care whose. So about a 1/3 of Betty's litter made their way to Trouble...moms couldn't ever tell them apart (obviously we could...Trouble is white/grey, as are her babies, and Betty is black, as are her babies)...so they co-nursed these two litters. Its an amazing thing.

I know this isn't a "pig forum" but just a note that pigs do not handle stress well. Add the fact that they are both vegies and meaties, lets just say that the really bad severe storm that went through here shook everyone up, stressed everyone out and subsequently became part of their mother's diet. It was not good and I am just extremely upset about the whole ordeal. By the time I got home, there was only one left. He hadn't been touched and looked developmentally normal. So, I'm not sure if he was still born (which is not unusual to get a still born in a litter) or if he got stepped on or what.

I know its not a foal, but loosing any member of the farm family, regardless of its a pig or calf, is upsetting. I'm not sure what I have learned from this experience or what I would have done differently. They were all in their seperate pens, in a pig barn under cover, don't know what else could have been done to prevent this. Just have to except it as a very unfortunate circumstance. Loosing around 30 in one day is a bad day on the farm.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 509
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds awful Bobbi. It doesn't compare, but I used to raise rabbits and occassinally one would consume their young. There is a sense of loss. All the weeks of the pregnancy lost. Granted they have short gestations, but even so, you lose that time and expense, not to mention the babies. I wish you better luck next time.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, May 16, 2008 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

#2 Bay filly by Seeking The Gold out of a multiple Grade 2 winning Equalize mare. Faol has a domed forehead which can be a sign of Dysmaturity. We don't know for sure at the moment, but I will post more later.

5-16 3AM w.wax, 6AM collecting. Signs- walking stall, very few small veins, up and down some. Normal presentation and easy foaling. Foal has a Domed Forehead. Mare received 2 vials Naloxone and 12cc Banamine @ 18:23. Foal bottle fed mares collected colostrum 6ozs @ 19:05 and 10ozs @ 19:45. P.S.=4, some folds in placenta.
****Colostrum collected-fed back to foal****

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 513
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you always milk the mare at birth and feed the foal a baby bottle, or is it just when they don't nurse right away?

Beth Sanford
Yearling

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and/or Jon: I have a medication question for ya! I know you said a while ago on this thread that nobody really knows if/why Naloxone prevents hemorrhage in the mare....just wondered if you've ever given Methergine to a mare to prevent hemorrhage? In the people L&D world, it's given quite a bit to prevent hemorrhage....just wondered if it worked on horses? Also, how do yall choose between the banamine and rompun for cramps? And, finally, does the naloxone tend to reverse the rompun or banamine at all?

You sound like you're winding up for this season....what a relief it must be! Yall are great......not just for what you do, but also for the willingness to share information with all of us!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 152
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

We had been collecting her for 12 hours prior to foaling. It would have been a borderline quality and we already have 31 good pints already frozen. So we decided to bottle fed it back to the foal.

Beth

I will leave that question for Tim!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 517
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, thanks. Of course it begs the next question-how did you know it was probably poor quality?

And I want to add that I agree with Beth. You guys are great and have given us an incredible amount of quality information. I value you all very much and will miss the interaction-BUT you'll be back next foaling season I hope-right?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 153
Posted on Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj we use a colostrum refractomemter to do the intial testing. The lab tech has a more accurate test that she does after the foals IgG have been confirmed as being in a acceptable range. This mares was around a 21.5 on the refractometer and that is usually good enough to freeze. It is on the lower end of the scale though. When you get down around the 20 mark it's not as effective when it is bottle fed to a foal that is only going to get that colostrum. It works ok for tubing, but usually if we are tubing one we don't want to take a chance! Of course you can be picky when you have 138 to try and collect off of. We have collected and froze 41.2% of the mares this year.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had no idea that poor colostrum was that prevalent, if I am understanding you correctly. I mean, there seems to be plenty of good colostrum to collect, but it seems that you also have plenty of foals that need the collected stuff.

I know that next time around I will be collecting my mare's if there is even a hint of trouble, like I had with my little gimooseraff! Thank goodness he is okay though, so far. Not even two weeks old and seems like a month ago.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 154
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pictures of #2 at about 1 hour old and some shots of the foaling barn. There are some pictures of the Dynaformer filly for Samantha. Warning there is also 2 eye injury photos for someone not on the list. Don't worry her eye lip was fine and after a month you couldn't tell. Enjoy.

http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll176/kynwatch/5-18-08/

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 161
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a cutie!!!! Thanks so much Jonathon!

What a gorgeous facility that is, wow. You and Tim are just so lucky to be around such fabulous horses all the time.

Are you still waiting for the last one to arrive?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 04:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes we are. We are off tonight, but I think she will go tonight on Goober. She wasn't right last night so everyone keep your fingers crossed!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 526
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan and Tim, I'm hoping this last one is easy-easy-easy! Sounds like you are okay with not delivering the last one, but if you do end up delivering it, I think you deserve to have the season end with a great, normal delivery and strong foal!

The facility is just outstanding! My gosh. I suppose like any job, there are times when you want to be somewhere else, but OMG, that has got to be like the best (well okay, one if the best) jobs in the world. Except for lack of sleep! LOL!

On another note, I ended giving my foal an enema tonight. He was really constipated. Didn't do much with the pediatric saline one, but the mineral oil one got him going good! Poor baby. Thank gosh my daughter came and we were messing with him and noticed the straining. I am going to have to watch that closely with him in this heat.

Is there something I can give him on a regular basis that won't give him the runs?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last ONE!!! Bay filly by Street Cry out of a winning Rahy mare. Tim and I are both glad we missed this one. Our backs hurt bad enough as it is.

5/2 u.a. pos. at H.D.M. muzzle foal 24 hrs. 5/17 c. wax 5/18 w. wax to dripping just prior to foaling. Normal presentation, very tight foaling, 6 people with straps to get foal out. Mare quit pushing after shoulders were out.Gave 3 minutes oxygen as a precaution. Mare received 2cc rompun 3:32a.m. Also got 12cc banamine at 4a.m. for cramping. Bottle fed 08 Ya Tarra colostrum starting at 4:25a.m. 8oz. 10oz. 5:30a.m. 6:15a.m. 5oz. P.S.=5

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

Yeah, it's very nice. My favorite part is the 3 furnaces that keep it 60 degrees on the foaling side all winter long. The only time I want to be anywhere else is when everything is going wrong or after about april 15th. I tend to start getting a little cabin fever by then. Aimee says I also start getting a little grouchy, but I don't believe her.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 692
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan,
Hurray!!!!!!! I am so happy that foaling season is done!!!

I don't believe you get grouchy either.

Aimee Smith
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's grouchy by mid-March. YEAAAAAA! He's done! I am sooooo glad it is done. Time for fun summer stuff now.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, May 19, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're glad now! Wait until saturday after I have been home for 5 days!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you missed the last one, since it was so difficult! You deserve a break! Course, the other crew probably think the same thing! LOL! Where were they, anyway, during all the DHUUlightfulness?

By the way, I believe you Aimee! HeHeHe!

Jonathan and Aimee, all kidding aside, it must be great working in the same discipline together. And Tim, Jonathan, thanks for all your advice in the long tired days and nights of DUHHdom. For lots of laughs too.

It is the end of an era. Well, maybe not an era, but at least a season. For some of us, this has been our first foaling. You have my undying graditude for generously sharing your knowledge. I can't thank you enough.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 454
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jon: Beautiful foal pictures! Nice mare!

Tim/Jon/Aimee: Congratulations on a nice season! Maybe there's a future "Big Brown" in the mix.

Your help, humor, advice and strength has been a blessing to us all and we will be eternally grateful for your acquantances. I feel like I have friends in Kentucky! It is an honor!

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew!!!!!! What a foaling season!!!!!!!!!

We have fought a few tough battles this year. One of those battles in particular will, along with others in the past, continue to haunt me for awhile. I'm referring to the hemorrhage mare we lost. It's not that I'm am second guessing the decisions we made or the quality of care she received. It's the fact that I don't think I've ever witnessed the stubborn will to live that this mare possesed and her burning desire to raise her foal. We fought hard to save her, yes, but that seems insignificant to how hard SHE fought when all the odds were stacked against her. What a true HERO she is!!!!!

The whole foaling staff was OUTSTANDING!!!!!! This year we had a couple new faces, and I bet there were times they wondered what in the hell they had gotten themselves into, but they managed to become part of the team.

Jon had his best year yet!!!! His skills for predicting a foaling have become very highly developed. There are foaling men in this area with 2 or 3 times the amount of experience that Jon has, but they can't touch his ability to read his mares.

This year also marks the end of a long-time working relationship. Joe (aka Goober) is giving-up the nocturnal lifestyle. His discipline, attention to detail and contribution to the chemistry of the foaling staff will be missed for sure. He is a professional in every sense of the word. Thanks for always being there Joe.......

A BIG thank you to everyone in this community. I hope that each one of you feel like part of our success, because you were. There were MANY long nights that this community was about the only thing keeping me sane. It also let me retain my ability to laugh hysterically at times.

I initally joined this community to help others with problems, what I didn't count on was how much help I've gotten and how much I've learned by being here. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samantha
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, Jonathon, and Aimee- I have learned so much from you, and thank you for being here :-) I hope you will be returning next year?!

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 12:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beth:

just wondered if you've ever given Methergine to a mare to prevent hemorrhage?

No, we've never tried it. To be honest, there really hasn't been much advancement in this area for a few years.

Also, how do yall choose between the banamine and rompun for cramps?

It usually just a matter of the severity. If the cramps are mild to moderate but persistant, they get banamine. If they are intense they will get the rompun.

does the naloxone tend to reverse the rompun or banamine at all?

It doesn't seem to. It definately doesn't "reverse" the rompun, but it does seem to moderate and prolong it's effect. The Rompun/Naloxone "cocktail" is wonderful for the older mare that cramps violently post foaling.

The thing I've noticed with Banamine and Naloxone is that we have a higher incidence of retained placentas. Moreso than with just banamine or rompun/naloxone.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ

I had no idea that poor colostrum was that prevalent, if I am understanding you correctly. I mean, there seems to be plenty of good colostrum to collect, but it seems that you also have plenty of foals that need the collected stuff.

Great point of discussion.

I don't really think it's a matter of too much poor colostrum. I think that, these days, it's more important for a foals immune system to be prepared to fight an ever increasing amount of potentially lethal germs. I think as a whole, we've gradually changed our criteria of what is considered poor.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys~Just wanted to pop in and say that I learned lots and always enjoyed reading your threads for info. Congrats on all you successes and a quiet moment for those that went forward to the rainbow bridge. This year has been particularly rough....

Beth Sanford
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, thank you so much for the information! My mares are all older, the youngest is 13 and the oldest is 23, and all but one are multiparous, so those lovely afterbirth cramps are very prevalent around here.

I've learned alot from you and Jon. Thanks for letting us pick your brains about nearly anything!

Don't yall be strangers now that you are getting some (much deserved) time off!

Thanks again,
Beth

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 552
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tim, for your answer to my question, and all questions.

Also, I thank-you for your humble message above. I'm really glad you got something from the discussions as well.

Your love for the mares that give their all, when you have so many to care for; your respect and compassion for them, is inspiring.

I wish all of the staff, a great post foaling season and hope we hear from you next year.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 159
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone! Thought I would pop in and say Hi and let everyone know that I am NOT dead. I have been busy the last few days trying to remember which family member is which and getting some rest. So far I have managed to teach my daughter to ride without her training wheels and cleaned half the garage. Also the most wasteful thing is getting addicted to the Mousehunt application on Facebook. Why couldn't I find this while I was wasting away the hours in the foaling barn!

I would like to thank everyone for all the wonderful post of the last month or so. They really helped on the few slow nights we had towards the end. Everyone has been so nice and it is so nice to see such a sense of community, even if it is online. Everyone still watching I hope everything goes well. To everyone already done, now it's time to have fun with them(even the Gimoosaraffes)! I will try and stop by every few days and catch up with all my new friends!!!

Talk to you later gang! I'm going to bed at a decent hour!!!!!!!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 698
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Jonathan!! It is nice to hear from you. Glad that your life is returning to normal, if there is such a thing as a normal life. :-)
Have a good weekend!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US