SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

C'MON CALCIUM STRIP USERS!!!!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » C'MON CALCIUM STRIP USERS!!!!! « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use the EM Quant Total Harness test, and have a mare who has 2 full squares and part of the third...
Does anyone know about how long it typically takes to get from part of 3 to 4 squares? Can this change instantly? Days? Weeks?
I have planned a trip for out of town but dont' know whether to go or not...? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

corina gabel
Yearling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey i used the hard water testers!! we got 24 to 48 hoursrs thats the 3rd color 2 days in a row then she really started to show signs on the 3rd night i tested early and it was still on the 3rd then 3 hours later (9:30pm) when i normally test it had went to the 4th!! she foaled at 3:30am!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina, Thanks so much for the info!!! Guess I better not make plans for the weekend!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any remembrance on how long it was after seeing 2 pads turn, and the 3rd one fringe around the edges? ( have a mare in that condition too.

Joyce
Breeding Stock
Username: Luv2ridesaddleseat

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Diana! I'm glad to finally hear your mares are getting closer to foaling!! Cookie, my mini's latest weefoal test came up negative. :-( I hate to believe this is all FAT! I wish she didnt't LOOK so darn pregnant!! I look forward to hearing the news when your babies are born!!

Joyce

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey joyce good to hear from you again. I'd have bet on your mare being prego....guess she was rubbing her butt for shedding then?! LOL
I'll have a baby soon! This morning we had cowpies at the barn....yay!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana~(((((GOOD FOALING VIBES))))) FOR YOU!

corina gabel
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UMM it went from 3 to 4 when i decided to test again later that night all the tests were instant but i was told dip fast and wait a min. our mare had no appitie loss no belly nipping nothing. her tail was sunken alot and milk dripping for a few days then poof there was a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW I AM CONFUSED.....WILL SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT THIS MEANS?!?! It is difficult to see, but it is exactly as it appears....the calcium skipped the 3rd altogether and colored half of the 4th???? HELP!!!
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii281/kdgilger/DSC01287.jpg

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana
I'd test again, maybe the strip was defected, but I have never used that brand of strip. I always do 2 strips with the same sample (mixture of distilled water and milk) and if they are not consistant I try a third strip. But then I never rely on the calcium strips without testing the ph. The ph has always been right on for me. The pool strips have ph and hardness on one strip and most hardware stores sell them. It would be interesting to do a side by side test of your calcium strips and the pool hardness & ph strips and see how they compare and which gives you best results. I'd bet on the ph test, when it drops to 6.2 you will have a foal within 12 hours, usually with in 8 hours.

One thing you have to be careful when testing is to rise all the syringes and the containers you collect the milk in with the distilled water. Most tap & bottled water has some calcium in it and will give you a false reading. And of course measure accuratly.

I have 3 foals due in May, when I start testing I'll post the progress.

Keep testing and write down the results so after the foal is born and you caught up on your sleep you can go back and see if there is a pattern to the madness. Good luck and keep us up dated.

(Message edited by hcvideo on April 23, 2008)

(Message edited by hcvideo on April 23, 2008)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 09:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no way to test again, as she tried to kill me when I tested this time...I consider myself lucky, not stupid! LOL...I do the distilled water, and rinse very well all syringes and containers. Good luck with your 3 due in May, and thanks for the info!!!

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, I'm getting excited for you!! I think you will have a foal soon!! I can't wait to hear!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I retested (and got to keep all my body parts) Here's my question....if I didn't get a full cc from the mare, but still mixed it 1 part milk to 6 parts distilled water....will it still work? Even with very? If so, it's a go...all 4 turned within a matter of seconds....if not, I'll still be on foal watch tonight, because I cannot get more from her, and I have no idea if it worked correctly!! LOL Thank goodness I napped well today!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, crud, forgot to turn on the foaling monitor...gotta go back to the barn! DUHH is REALLY BAD TODAY!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, AND i meant to say "even with very little?"..
DUHH!

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any news Diana???

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None yet. It is raining like mad here with much thunder and lightning and she's just standing out in her pen in the same spot for 3 days now. She's got a dry stall which I keep emaculately clean...but I have the feeling she's gonna foal out in the mud. I guess the test strips don't function well on "just a little"....I'll retest her tonight, and see what I get. (if she makes it that far)

Joyce
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Horses! SHEEESH!!!!!!!!!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 08:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana
If you can not get a full ml of milk you can use 1/2 ml of milk but use only 3 ml of distilled water.

corina gabel
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ohh you had a thunder storm and no baby . thats a classic sign!!!

anyways im sorry i didnt get back to you last night! my changed instantly. i tested at like 6 or 6:30 cuz i thought she was going to have it. i wanted to be ready and it was 3 squares. So still convinced i tested at 9:30 my usuall time and it was at 4 squares. She foaled at 3:30 am. A note to anyone who is doing this start messing with the utters 2 months early so she doesnt try to kill you ! I would take warm water out and give her grain. The temp test and a wash job then a good brush down by then the utters are dry and i would get my milk, then the nightly poke the belly and make the baby move.

Yes diana as long as its still the same percentage of parts milk to water.

Ive got a mustang pregs this year who waits for me to touch her belly so she can squeal and try to bite me! we are working on it thank god ive got 3 months to go.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, all 4 turned because I'm an idiot, and in my sleep deprived state, was not thinking clearly. The kids were screaming scared b/c of the storm, dogs were barking, horse tried to kill me (but missed)...and the second time I tested, I put the same amount of milk as water! I realized it about 7 this morning, and thought "what the hell was I thinking? I've only done this a million times!" So, sorry for the false alarm....I'll still test her this evening and see what we get. She has always let me touch her udder, and hasn't seemed to mind the milking until recently..

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US