SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

How useful is the calcium test?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » How useful is the calcium test? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 212
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wondering about the prediction of pending labor using test strip. Can the results change in say, an hour? And where do you get them?

Do any of you use the temperature charts? What other tech. stuff do you use?

Tim and Johnathan, do you use anything like this for your operation? If you do, how much do you rely on them?

Can you tell, I'm reversing my earlier thinking about staying up so I won't miss her foal, to, how much sleep can get and still not miss her foal?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 256
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, gets hard the longer you go without sleep, doesn't it?! haha! I use the test strips, an they work quite well. I got mine online at www.coleparmer.com they are called EMQuant Total Hardness Test strips. Runs about $50 for 100 strips. I also take temps...establish a baseline now, and temp usually drops 2-3 degrees before foaling. The easiest cheapest thing you can get is a device that straps on the halter, and notifies you when he mare lays prone...something like"foal buzzer". If you put a $10 baby monitor down in her pen, you can then hear it buzzing on there from the house, but apparantly the mare cannot hear it. I have neverused that particular product, but know people who do and say it works well. All of these things are ONLY reliable when used in conjunction with all the other signs. For example, every evening, I check udders and vulvas and hips....if nothing's changed significantly, i don't worry about that mare that night. However, ifher vulva is long, and udder has changed significantly, and she refuses dinner, I'll do a milk test strip to find out if I need to put the halter monitor on her and listen for the beep all night. When the beep goes off,get up check the camera, if she's laying there sleeping, off to bed I go agai. That is the easiest way to get any sleep during all this in my opinion.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and might I add...if you have a mare who lays down every night with her head down to sleep, ths halter buzzer becomes a huge pain in the rump....as your mare will TRY to lay down CONSTANTLY and be uncomfortable and pick her head back up...only to get sleepy again, and put her head back down....over and over again...it gets old in the middle of the night.! LOL

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 578
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,
I use pool/water hardness test strips from Walmart. I have only used them with the last two but I was there for both births. The advantage to them as opposed to other strips is they test the pH levels. I believe that the pH gives a better idea of when the baby is coming especially in maidens. My mare who just foaled tested from 6.8-6.0 pH within the last 16 hours before she foaled. But only 200 calcium. People say that if the calcium tested 300 then you should have a foal within 48 hours.
Hope this helps. I would encourage you to try test strips. I know I'll always use them!! :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 214
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana and Emily, thanks for that info. It puts it all into perspective, and I needed that!!

Phyllis Schroder
Yearling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
I am very curious at to what the Normal ph level is in the mare and how much you feel it rises when they get closer to foaling (what type of ph level change are you looking for). I work at a chemical plant and our main products are all caustics so I can get all the ph test strips i want at work and use them. We actually get ours in a small plastic container which you just pull it out as you need it (kinda like a tape dispenser)and it has the color chart on the front for the ph and acidity levels.
Do you think these would work well?
If so I'm going to stock up on some to take home for future use. Please let me know, Thanks

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 232
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used the pool strips right at the end, hardness was hard to measure but the pH dropped from over 7 to 6.2 from 24 hours before she foaled.
As someone else said it is another check in conjunction with any other signs....not that Maybelline had any other signs LOL!}

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Emily! Or anyone else who does the test strips. I can't seem to remember how long it takes to progress thru these things....but I do recall it didn't take my last mare long. I have a mare with 2 pads turned and the edges of the third pad turned. How long is it typically until they all 4 turn? I have a trip planned for the weekend, and wasn't sure whether to go or not?! Do you happen to remember?

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just depends on the mare; they can change from 2 to 4 in a matter of hours - or it can take days. It is important to use the other signs they have as well - is she relaxed in the hip, vulva elongated, red inside, etc.... Good luck - not sure I'd go out of town this weekend were it me though.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US