SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Maybelline

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Maybelline « Previous Next »

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think in view of the 8 and a half month wait Maybelline really deserves a thread of her own!
Clever girl gave birth to a stunning coloured filly at 6am this morning....labour from her going down took about 8 minutes!! We just got out in time to see her back legs delivered.

Thank you to everyone who has been there for us over the long long wait, she has made it all so worthwhile (and I can't stop crying at the thought that they both should've been someone's dinner)
Sorry the pics aren't good....camera is having a bad off day!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal010.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal026.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal042.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal048.jpg[/IMG]

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YEAH MAYBELLINE!! I knew she could do it...Jane, what a nice surprise.....beautiful miracles!! Kim

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, that's wonderful!!!! What a beautiful filly, I knew whatever was in there was going to make it worth your wait. Good for you for saving the mare from certain disaster, now she's paying you back!

Jonathan Smith
Weanling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 50
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congradulations!

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 596
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybeline looks sooooo happy!!!

I sent her story and a picture to my horse friends here in the USA!!! She is famous!!!!

Erica (with Sandy) will just flip out!!!!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, what a beautiful filly you have there and her coloring is so perfect! Congratulations on your special gift. Now you can enjoy and not worry about Maybelline.

Yipppeeee!!!!!

HAPPY DAYS!!!!!

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 577
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Jane!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!!!!! Congrats on a gorgeous filly!!!!!!!!

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 239
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jane, what a gift and that she had an easy healthy delivery!

it is so nice to know, good things happen to good people. What will you name her...she certainly is special..

terry

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 191
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Jane. She is a pretty little girl and a BIG one too, given the size of her mama.

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 62
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Jane, She was worth the wait, and a cutie.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 217
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all, no decisions on her name yet but we all seem to like Roxie/Roxy except my Mum!

Maybelline is being very nasty with us in the stable, threatening to bite or kick. Does anyone have experience of this ie will it continue? How should we handle her?
I was trying to get the dirtiest, wettest straw out and my hubby was holding her when she went for me with her teeth as her baby was near me (the foal is so friendly and curious and wants to be over by us all the time!)Hubby grrrr at her and she flew at him.
I haven't seen this side of her before and I am quite worried as it will make caring for them very awkward.
Help!! I knew it couldn't be that easy!!}

Tawnya, Giddyup-horserescue
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh wow, congrads jane! What a beautiful perfect girl!! I almost said yesterday when mine was born that yours would be today. Arent they just adorable? I cant get enough of mine.
as far as maybelline being naughty, id say give her a day or so. she is just doing what is natural and protecting that baby. my mare, maiden, didnt know me well so i got on my knees at the babies level and just talked to it and mom for awhile. still give mom all the same attention you gave her before if you can and hopefully she will start giving in. maiden still protects but lets me near him to love on him. im the only one tho.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 208
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I want to congratulate you on such a lovely filly! I'm glad you were able to witness it!

Please tell your story one more time, about how you came to have her. I missed it, somehow.

I'm sorry the mare is being persnickity. I'm sure someone will respond with helpful information or suggestions. I don't have any. Sorry.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I just got tears in my eyes! I'm soooooo happy for you that this finally happened and you got a gorgeous filly on top of it! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

On Maybelline being aggressive, she's just being a good mama. Most do calm down after a few days when she realizes you are not going to send them back to France! If it gets bad you could try giving her a little bit of tranquilizer to take the edge off. Congrats again Jane!

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all, you are so great to know!
CJ, I put a long detailed explanation re Mayb's on another thread, it was the one where I said you had forgotten me?
I am sure Mayb's is worried she might go back to France or maybe someone took her baby before she was ready before. Who knows. I hope we get our sweet mare back soon as the baby seems to be a complete dolly.
Marilyn, she was ok when they were both on the ground, I wouldn't dare go down to the foal now, I am sure she would kick me in the head!

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 347
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAN,CONGRATS,WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FILLY,I THINK AFTER A FEW DAYS SHE WILL RELAX AND NOT BE SO WORRIED.MAN THE FOAL LOOKS SO BIG,DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA WHO THE DADDY IS??

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations, Jane! Gorgeous filly!!! She looks so sweet!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane! I told she was cooking up something special! And WOW! What an amazing filly. You have made my month! All these months of worrying and waiting and now just enjoy enjoy. Momma being protective is totally normal. She will calm down and her stomach will take over and she will be hungry really hungry when you feed is a good time to go in and let the baby come up and you can mess with her. :-) Congratulations!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 232
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane: She's wonderful! Many, many congrats!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 845
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane congratulations!!! As they say, "Good things come to those who wait", and boy was she worth the wait!!!! She is georgous, and I love her markings. It's hard to tell in the pic, but is she a bay & white, or a black & white? I was going to suggest the same thing that Jan mentioned. If Mabelline will let you groom her while she is eating, then when your filly comes to investigate, then mabey you can get in a scratch or two. If she was sweet before the baby came, then I'll bet she will relax after a few days when she realizes your not going to hurt her baby. When my mare Baby(maiden) had her filly, she tried to kick and strike at her a couple of times, and I got after her for it. I've owned Baby since she was a year old, and she knows when I get mad, I mean business. She didn't try any more kicking or stricking after that. It's weird, cause I was the one in the begininng that had to be protective of her filly. She is a good mom now, and totally trusts me with her filly. I think she did what she did cause she was a maiden and her filly scared her.

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 243
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mentor that is an old hand at foaling taught me to associate the mare's behavior the first week or so to the huge hormone changes that are occurring in the mare. with the foaling itself, the uterus shrinking back down,milk coming in and foal heat...it affects the mare significantly. By the time the foal heat is over, any where from 5-12 days, your sweet mare should be back. Meanwhile be careful and let the mare's attitude be your guide with the baby.

Erica, Sandy, due 4/4/08
Breeding Stock
Username: America

Post Number: 424
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane i found it. I thought we were going to be able to watch Maybelline has she got closer and closer. THen i read the next paragraph. My mouth droped!

WHAt a gourges filly! Maybelline is soo wonderful with her! You got a healthy filly! YEA! and she looks awesome! You had to wait long enough for this girl and im soo glad you got her!
I bet when you got her you werent expecting to wait 8 months for this amazing filly!

And i will be expecting more photos. After all 8 months of waiting to see what this girl looks like is a long time lol! what a relief it most be to know she foaled safley and sooo fast!
Give us the details on how the filly acts!

Oh!! and when Maybelline foaled did you get your sheep back!?!?!? lol how many did she eat?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So at least one of us is getting sleep now!!! That's okay. You've earned it, Jane!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane,
What a precious gift you have recieved! All the worry and hard work has paid off! Now can some rest! Good luck

L

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I typed a long reply this morning and it vanished....my computer is having problems and then my keyboard gave up completely!
I'm going to try typing it on a word document and pasting it!

I want to thank everyone of you that has been with me on this long journey. I donít know what I would have done without all the support and friendship I have received here.

Jan, thank you. You were so right, she really was cooking up something special. The filly is really gorgeous and very inquisitive.

Charlene thank you for telling me about Baby, I think Maybelline probably has good reason to be so protective, judging by the milk she had when he arrived I think she must have recently had a foal taken from her. My other mare that foaled last year is part human anyway so was nothing like this. Iím not sure anything prepares you for the aggression anyway. Especially in a mare that has always been so nice to deal with.

Terry, I really hope you are right and she calms down when her hormones settle. I thought she seemed a bit better today after taking a chumk out of my husband last night but she went for me again this afternoon over the door. I darenít let them out in the field yet as I am afraid we wonít catch her again and I havenít beena ble to try a headcollar on her yet as I canít get that close!
I know Maybís really wants to get out but sheís going to have to improve her attitude a bit first!

Erica, sweetheart, you are always gauranteed to bring a smile to my face. How did you get such a way at such a young age?
Baby (Roxie?....tell me what you think of that name please) is very sweet she sleeps a lot but is feeding well and skipping round the stable as well as gumming on Mumís hay!!
More photos asap.
And do you know what.....we had 5 sheep safely back in the field this morning!

Everyone still waiting, my thoughts are with you all. Keep posting about your babies too everyone.

Erica, Sandy, due 4/4/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 426
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane your welcome and thankyou. Im so glad you got the sheep and your foal!
I love the name Roxie! It and it fits her look!
I can't wait to see more photos of her!
Im going to see if i can find something to help with Maybellins agression. But you are prollably right about the foal being taken away from her. Maybe she just needs time. Lol more time geez.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane your new foal is beautiful and spotted to boot, seems everyone with solid mares really put out the color this year!

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 230
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Erica and Jo Angela. We had no idea what to expect as Maybelline was rescued and the other French rescues that came over with her have all had bay colours.

She's been out to play for a while today which has helped Mummy's mood I think!

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/?action=view&current=Foal068 .flv][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/th_Foal068.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal061.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/Foal063.jpg[/IMG]

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How fun to watch the video. She truely is a lovely filly. You and Maybelline should both be proud

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Jane I thought I was doing really good till I looked at that video clip the animation of it made me realize we will not get to see a foal in our paddock running around with Mira, so now I'm crying, so I'm going to do some housework and get off here.
Beautiful foal.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Jo, I am sorry.
I am so proud and relieved that she is safely here I forgot about those carrying the pain of loss.
My warmblood mare had stillborn twins a year ago so I do have an idea of how you feel. Time and new babies will help.
I'm sorry.

Erica, Sandy, due 4/4/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 431
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ha ha Jane she is soo cute runing around. lol i loved it when she sniffed the fence! I want one! lol

Jo, ya gotta take it one day at a time. THankfully Mira is safe.
Do you have any other mares that you are thinking of breeding?
at least you get to watch the lovely Mira get better every day.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 857
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, how did it go getting a halter on Mabelline for thier first outing? Is she still acting agressive? The video reminded me of Jetta on her first outing, very cute!

Jo, again I am so sorry for your loss. They say it gets better with time. I think mabey if you find a new project to keep your mind off of it, mabey it would help. I've got lots of projects I should be doing. Like cleaning the barn, mowing, fixing fencing, etc. I think it will help a little to keep yourself busy. How is Mira doing?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not get the video to show. I have a mac so maybe that is the problem-compatability that is. But I bet she is adorable in action.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erica Mira is my only mare, I have 2 geldings and I don't think I want anymore.
Yes I am so thankful to still have Mira, we have friends that moved to VA, were down this weekend, there mare foaled, same thing happened to them, hip lock, they lost there foal, then there neighbors mare foaled, again same thing, Hip lock, only worse she lost her mare and her foal, so yes we are counting our blessings !

Charlene my new project is in motion now, my Cattle dog is getting close, I pinned her up yesterday, she is not eating and nesting, but I think she did not want to have them in the dog lot with her mate lurking around like a expecting father, so she acted like she wanted to be in the barn, which is were I raised her, she is in the spare horse stall, so I am moving Mira's camera out of her stall to put it on Star, I set my alarm and got up twice and walked out to the dog lot last night, so getting the camera set up for tonight if she don't go today.

Jane don't mind me I'm fine, just the beauty of that little foal out in the world for the first time just got me, PMSing, big crybaby or big bitch, take your choice, husband prefers the first choice much better, but he usually gets both!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo, we'll miss you. Of course you can visit us anytime!

I think dogs are easier to whelp than mares are to foal. Take care and I'm really glad Mira is okay.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jo, Would love to see pics of your new litter of puppies@!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 860
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a good project to me Jo. Is Star a Blue heeler or Austrilan Sheperd? I can't wait to see some pics of her and her new pups.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought you might like to see how Tigerlily is getting on now she is past 2 weeks old already!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/zzMay2nd002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/day91-1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/day910-1.jpg[/IMG]

Maybelline has calmed down a lot now they are out 24/7, she still doesn't like strangers in but is quite happy for us to go in the field. Tigerlily is not wanting to be caught at the moment though!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 403
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, Tigerlily is gorgeous! What a beautiful color pattern! Bet you enjoy just looking at her! And to think her mama would have been someone's dinner if you hadn't intervened!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1304
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my gosh Jane, Tigerlily is just adorable. What a sweet face!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US