SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When Things Go Wrong

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » When Things Go Wrong « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 02:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggested starting a new thread for the foalings that go bad. Some people liked the idea, so here it is. It's so hard to think about. Every time I read about someone losing a foal or mare, I feel great sadness for them; then of course think about my own mare and pending foal. I don't know how I would cope.

So it might be a good place for people to share stories, get support, and maybe we all can learn some things from the experiences.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 67
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When things go wrong I think it is important to remember a few things:

-Time slows WAY down. The 30 minutes it takes for the vet to arrive seems like HOURS. Therefore, it is important to keep track of time in order to give your vet the most accurate information.

-It becomes very difficult to communicate, especially on the phone to the vet or anyone else you have on your call list. Depending on your level of experience, communicating with the vet is the single most important thing you can do to get the necessary help ASAP. Chances are, they were asleep when you called, so they need to become coherent before you start unloading on them.

-You will blame yourself. Just about every good horseperson does this to some degree, it's part of the process, but wait until the crisis is over. When things are going wrong, you need to be thinking forward, not backward.

(Message edited by dystocia on April 18, 2008)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1259
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim excellent advice, I'm posting this at the barn. Thank you!

Cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 555
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very important to realize when you are over your head and need help. Keep everyone in the vicinity of the foaling calm so you in turn can keep the mare calm, calm is a necessity.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 249
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on how far away your vet is, being prepared to become involved is not a bad idea. Have a foaling kit ready, even if you never need it. Sometimes emergencies are not as bad as they seem, and can be fixed easily to save a foal. Minis are notorious for having dystocias, and the most popular being one front foot over the head, or displaced backwards. In this case, by the time you call the vet, and he gets there, you're asking him to fix a train wreck. Whereas, if you'd just reached in and pulled the leg into position, you'd have a foal on the ground by now, not sitting there praying for the foal to make it. Granted, emergencies are not always that simple....but there are times when you should be able/prepared to be the do-it-yourselfer! Read books on dystocias and how to deal with them....if nothing else, you'll be familiar with what the vet is talking about when he's on the phone, and you'll not be so confused. It's HARD to think clearly when something has gone wrong, Tim is soooo right about that. Read books, keep your head, and remember what you've learned. Dont' second guess yourself....and like Yoda said, "There is no try.....there is only DO". Heaven forbid you lose a foal, you're GOING TO BLAME YOURSELF...but it won't be nearly as bad if you know in your heart you did everything you could do...

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 237
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second what Tim said.

I always have a pre-printed sheet with every foaling mare on a clip board that has a time line. If nothing else keeping track of the times things are or are not happening gives you something to "do" while you are waiting.

I also feel it is important to have someone close by "on call" in case help is needed in a hurry. It can be very hard to get a mare in hard labor up and moving all alone - but I am here to say that it CAN be done alone by a woman.

And again, like Tim said, your vet was most likely asleep when you called - tell him/her what is going on in as CALM and SLOW a voice as you can muster, listen, and then don't freak out if they ask to call you back in a minute (which will seem like an hour).

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm right in the middle of "things going wrong".

One of the mares that foaled last night hemorrhaged this afternoon. Right now she is somewhat stable, her vitals are OK, still a little shocky though. We have been running fluids since 2:00pm and still have more to go this evening.

Every hour from this point on creates optimism.

Joie Roddy
Neonate
Username: Joie

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm saying a prayer for your mare, Tim.Keep us posted...

(Message edited by Joie on April 18, 2008)

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 174
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Tim. That's so scary. All of us are praying for her!

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 579
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Tim!! I hope all will be okay. Sending my thoughts and prayers.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We stopped running fluids on her at midnight, she started to become a bit uncomfortable, so we figured she had enough.

Right now she is standing, and munching on a bit of hay, she is heavily tranqued, and full of banamine too.

Her heart rate is steady and her temperature is starting to rise closer to normal (she was 96.7 at 8pm, now she is 98.5)

Her membrane color is still VERY pale and her last hematocrit was a little scary.

She is fighting hard, and so are we, but we've got a long way to go.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, that's scary stuff the mare is going through right now! I hope she continues to get stronger.

The place you work for is extremely lucky to have such intellegent, kind, dedicated and hard working people like you and Johnathon. Good luck with this mare and keep us posted on her progress.

Marilyn

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TIM,
I will pray that the mare pulls out of it! She is bless to have you close to her.

Good Luck,
L

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, how is she doing? Can she be transfused? I'm sure she is very weak if that hemoglobin is so low. Poor mare. I'm rooting for her! We know she is in good hands.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sending good thoughts your way Tim. Keep us posted.

A quick question, if she pulls thru all of this, will she be bred again? I'm curious how the big farms do these type of things. :-)

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm on my way to the barn now.

She had a couple more liters of plasma today.

No, she will not be bred this year.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 125
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A girl on another forum had a foal 2-3 months ago and the foal did not do well in the beginnings and was back and forth to the hospital till they finally got her going good and all has been well with that foal and mare.
Then guess what, she posted the other day to say they went out to feed that AM and found the mare Cast in her stall and dead, now the foal is a orphan.
I felt so sorry for her, especially after she thought she finally had it all undercontrol.
I guess it goes to show, not many things are really under our control, we just have good out comes and bad ones I guess you could say.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure hope your mare pulled through, Tim.

When things settle down for you, would you mind answering yet another set of questions?

You said she hemorrhaged several hours after the birth. Do you know what caused it and is it rare?

How long after the birth is it reasonably safe to leave mare and foal alone for several hours?

I plan to be close at hand for a week at least, but wonder how to guage that.

Jo, that is so odd! I mean to have trouble with the foal, who gets healthy, only to have the mare drop dead 2-3 months later? Wow. Scary stuff.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 55
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Latest Update:

She is quiet right now. Her bloodwork is still pretty scary though. We can't get her total proteins to rebound although her hematocrit is improving.

She went into shock earlier today and was brought around with some Solu-delta and fluids.

Still heavily tranqued.

The foal is bottle feeding and doing fairly well all things considered.

Cj

#1 The cause was likely from delivering a MONSTER foal for a mare her size. It really wasn't that difficult of a foaling though, almost textbook. I've seen them hemorrhage after seemingly effortless foalings, as well as after the though ones.

Who knows

#2 After all the "events" are complete ie. meconium, placenta, standing and nursing etc. I like to keep a close watch for several hours, them gradually "back away" from them. If there is nothing significant going on them they are usually OK on thier own for a few hours.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoops

Forgot to log out of Jon's username.

Tim

sharon anderson
Neonate
Username: Sharonsmule

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just discovered this site, and I really need any help that's available. Last May, I bred my 2 Haflinger mares to a jack, for mule colts. At 5 month gestation, our vet came out and palpated both. His diagnosis...1 bred, 1 not. We went on his advice and did everything textbook with the bred mare...off fescue 60 days...she delivered with no problem on April 10th, a beautiful sorrel filly, Cha-Cha. On April 14th, about noon, our son went to the barn and returned screaming that the 2nd mare was in delivery. We ran down and she had delivered and beautiful sorrel stud colt, Tango. I called the vet to get him to come out that afternoon to check the mare and foal out, since it was so unexpected. He arrived about 3:30 and she had not dropped her afterbirth. He decided to pull it and had to drug her pretty heavy. He flushed her, worked on getting the placenta out for about 45 minutes. After he finished and checked the placenta, there was a piece still missing. After meds 2 x day, she passed that on Tues. night. We had to restrain her to let Tango eat and then on Wed. he was so weak, we took him to another vet to test his colostrum levels. They were almost non-existent. We lost him as the vet was trying to tube feed him. Now, the mare is so sore, that she can hardly get around. Her temp has been normal every day, she's eating and drinking, her discharge has lessened considerably and has NO odor. She's alert, there's no heat in her hooves, but she's still having trouble moving around. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?? It's been the longest week of our lives and we never plan to breed again. To much heartache. Thanks for any input. Sharon

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon, I'm completely inexperienced. I just want to offer you my deepest sympathy. I am so sorry for all the suffering. I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice on this site.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and Jonathan, hope the mare soon picks up. Poor lass.
Jo Angela, what a sad story, you would think they had had enough heartbreak wouldn't you.

Sharon, I am praying for your mare too, all you can do is what you are which is keep her under close observation for any signs of change.
I am with you, I don't think we will be breeding anymore, even when it goes relatively ok it is still so stressful and when it goes wrong the heartache is unimaginable.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 05:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We lost her this afternoon.

She just couldn't overcome the continued blood loss. No matter what we tried today, we couldn't get her stabilized and comfortable. She wasn't in pain for very long as the decision was made to end the suffering before it became too much to ask.

She fought hard to the end.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, they really do mean alot.
I'm getting drunk.

Tim

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Tim, Johnathan and all the others who battled to save this mare, my heart goes out to you. How tragic! I'm so, so sorry. How heartsick you all must be.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more post before the alcohol kicks in.

Don't let this series of events intimidate you from being involved in the foaling process. A broodmare can be a strange creature, can force you to loose sleep, keep you guessing and push you until your nerves are shattered. But, in the end, most of them will gladly make the ultimate sacrifice to reproduce. It can be heartbreaking and tragic to witnesses, but I still count myself as one of the lucky ones to be able to appreciate what these creature do and who they are.

Give them an extra carrot or a scratch on the withers. They deserve it.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 597
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, guys. :-( I am so sorry. Tim, drink one for me too. :-(

sharon anderson
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I hate this hurt of losing something so wanted and loved. You're in my prayers.

Donna Daily
Neonate
Username: Missy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon,
Very sorry for your loss! I had a mare lose a foal due to the foal being to large for the mare to deliver. The vet worked long and hard with his 3 assistants at the hospital to extract the dead foal. Of course, she retained the placentia as your mare and we were unable to get it all out. We started treatment right away knowing she would founder. She did founder and we kept the stall bedded and soft, Bute twice a day as well as drugs to increase the circulation to her hooves. My mare is fine now but we had to stay on top of it. Your mare will improve and my fingers are crossed for you.

Tim, It's people like you and Jon that care so much about these valiant creatures that make it all worth while.

Tawnya, Giddyup-horserescue
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry to hear tim.. well said. i couldnt of put it better!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim and Sharon, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. It's heartbreaking just to read these posts, I couldn't imagine actually going through it. My deepest sympathy to both of you.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I'm so sorry to hear that you guys lost the battle. You all fought so hard and that mare was extremely lucky to have such caring people by her side to the very end. My prayers are with you, God Bless.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim thank-you for that encouragement, inspite of your own disappointment and grief. You can bet that my girl will get extra goodies and scratches and I'll throw in an extra from you too.

How is the foal and is he being fostered or does it have to be bottle fed?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

She is drinking out of a bucket tonight and a nursemare will arrive in the morning.

Beth Sanford
Nursing Foal
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim & Jonathan,
I am so sorry to hear about this mare. I was really rooting for her. All my mares will get scratches and a treat just for being them.
Beth

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 03:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really sad to read this news this morning, RIP poor mare, hope the nursemare and the foal take to each other.
Sharon, how is your mare?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon Tim,
First of all let me say I'm deeply sadden by your unfortunate turn of events! Tim, Thank for reassuring all of us waiting for our mares to give birth. This site of generous giving people is what allows me to comstantly get on the board at 5:27 am (right now!) right before I go to feed my critters then get my butt to work! I have no other choice (I'm ADDICTED) but to log on at work also!!!!!! It's a great thing my boss sits in another area! :-)

I still manage to get all my work and more accomplished reading and replying to the different threads! I want to thank everyone that has ever written, Be it a loss or a wonderful birth, we all learn from here, not to mention the great stories and jokes, TIM! CJ and anyone else I forgot to mention!

Thanks for sharing!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 237
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim & Jonathan: I am sorry for your terrible loss. This is certainly when the frustration kicks in. There is so much to be learned in the tragedies we suffer; not because there is some sort of "miracle" cure out there, but because we learn about ourselves and the tenacity that these horses and humans have to strive to achieve the possible in sometimes an impossible set of circumstances. We tend to think of these magnificant and large powerful creatures as hearty when in fact, they are one of the most delicate of nature's four legged animals. They are so "handicapped" in the world with their delicate digestive systems, their massive weight supported on leg bones that defy even logic on how this possible, their "flight" reaction that only escalates during stress and turmoil that usually results in further injury or distress, and their inability to withstand the shock of injury itself, makes for heartache that is bound to occur the more years you experience horsedom.

It is in the joy of the successes that keeps us going! And we remember those who have touched our lives with the commitment and bravery that only we know that made them one of the greats! And...there IS a horse heaven!

sharon anderson
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all, my mare is much better this morning. I'll continue the Bute through Wed. (1 tab twice daily), but she's off of the other meds. She's had NO heat in any of her feet and her temp's been normal. She's still eating, drinking...She's still stiff walking around, but I hope that will improve also. Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and good wishes.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon: I'm glad to hear your mare is doing much better. My thoughts and well wishes are with you!

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon hope your mare continued good health, sorry for the loss, I know its hard.

Tim OMG I hate to hear you lost that mare, even though you all were on top of the situation from the get go, makes me more assured that all we can do is all we can do and sometimes the out come is still not what we hope for. Keep up the good work !

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim & Jonathan, god bless both of you for what you have chosen to do in life, the many foals you've brought into the world that might not have made it otherwise, and no doubt the many mares you've been able to save during and after foaling. Likely this mare will be added to the list you told us you keep on the refrigerator that motivates you to strive so hard. It is wonderful that you were able to keep this mare from suffering at the end of her valiant fight. Bobbi is right, it is in the successes with these horses that keep us going. While gone, those lost are never forgotten and always manage to touch our lives in a positive way.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon, again, I'm sorry for your loss of the foal. How sad. I am very glad to hear the mare is doing well. I hope you have continued
success with whatever you do. Glad you came to the board.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to report that tragedy struck again last night. We had a mare present us with a breach birth last night and unfortunately the foal didn't make it. We did everything by the book, but the foal was just to big to foal out successfully.

I am glad this is the start of a new week. Because the last one stunk! Losing 2 lives in 12 hours can really take a toll on the foaling barns morale.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 21, 2008)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: I hang my head and am wishing you all at the foaling barn a better night and a better week. My hat is off to you all for your efforts!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 600
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan,
I am sorry for the loss of the foal. These posts always make me so sad. But I know that you guys do everything possible to save the lives of the mares and foals.

Here's to a better week for you and Tim.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan and Tim~What a brutal week you guys had. Squeeze and a hug and hopefully the last of your foalings will go on with out a problem. Fight on!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense all, but I am going to boycott this particular thread. Ever since I've been talking about "when things go wrong", they have gone wrong.

Not that I'm superstitious or anything.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This has been a bad foaling year :-( I now know of 3 mares that have died and about 6 foals. Come on everyone, we need to change this to good foaling stories!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I started this thread. No offense taken at all. I too was thinking about how many horses have died or had serious complications in the past couple of weeks. I don't blame you at all.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. When I started this thread, I thought it would be for all the people who have lost a mare or foal to have a place to talk about it. Not that the posts have not been very worthwhile and I certainly don't mean to dominate the board, althlough I have started several threads.

Maybe I should have named it something different. I was hoping people who are grieving could share with others-a support group.

Perhaps someone who has lost a horse through foailng can start a threat and find a better name than the one I gave here.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe I should have named it something different. I was hoping people who are grieving could share with others-a support group.

You're right Cj. This thread certainly did that, I personally appreciate all the thoughts and well-wishes we've gotten over the past few days.

End Boycott.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim & Jonathan: I am sorry for your terrible loss. This is certainly when the frustration kicks in. There is so much to be learned in the tragedies we suffer; not because there is some sort of "miracle" cure out there, but because we learn about ourselves and the tenacity that these horses and humans have to strive to achieve the possible in sometimes an impossible set of circumstances. We tend to think of these magnificant and large powerful creatures as hearty when in fact, they are one of the most delicate of nature's four legged animals. They are so "handicapped" in the world with their delicate digestive systems, their massive weight supported on leg bones that defy even logic on how this possible, their "flight" reaction that only escalates during stress and turmoil that usually results in further injury or distress, and their inability to withstand the shock of injury itself, makes for heartache that is bound to occur the more years you experience horsedom.

It is in the joy of the successes that keeps us going! And we remember those who have touched our lives with the commitment and bravery that only we know that made them one of the greats! And...there IS a horse heaven!

Bobbi, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth Sanford
Nursing Foal
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 18
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very, very well stated, Bobbi.

Again, my deepest condolences to all who have experienced loss. To be so big, they sure are fragile....but are a true blessing to be involved with.

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 93
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome post Bobbi!

I am so sorry to all that have lost these precious animals. It's a nightmare of mine. When my mare aborted (this was even before I owned her), I cryed for days on end. Perfect bay filly with a star. I am breeding her for the first time in my ownership this year, and honestly, I'm terrified. Terrified to experiance that heartache again, but worse this time, because this was to be my foal.

I think that reason that so many people keep going is that when it does end up okay, its amazing. That is the foal that we have created out of our amazing mares, by stallions who take our breath away. I know thats why I continue, there is nothing like seeing your "creation" playing in the pasture, and imagining what they will someday become

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 269
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: No....you ROCK!!!!!!

It is my theory and my gut. If I didn't think it, feel it, live it and understand it, my tragedies would have ended my horse owning ability looonnnnggg ago.

I was extremely lucky several years ago when I was "sought out" by some racing "folks" to become the remaining lifetime owner of one of those "great ones." Now, don't think he was Mr. Triple Crown or anything but let's just say he was one of the local greats and was a hero among all those who ever exercised, groomed, rode, trained or owned him. My time with him was far to short and the people he touched in his life was profound. He gave me the hardest lesson in my life and for the first time, I had to step back and re-evaluate my thoughts on horse ownership. He is the inspiration for my philosophy. I will link up an article that I wrote for an event that included the "folks" who were involved in his career (I'll have to figure out how to delete out the names).

Its rather emotional and quite frankly, I can't get through it myself without a river of tears, so don't read it if you can't take it.

But for anyone who dares, you will know why all of us here are friends and comrads for the same cause. It is my personal tribute to one of my "greats".

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think hearing about the bad out comes is very depressing but it has the ability for such great learning lessons , I hoped people would tell what went wrong, so we can be privey to all the what ifs, I was so sick of everyone telling me they just pop them out, so don't worry, this thread lets us know what to be worried about.

Bobbi I was explaining basically what you said to my sister just the other day, she said OMG if I had a horse I would probably kill it.

I know all the reading and watching videos I did helped alot when the time came, but the actual experience of it is a life lesson that will not be forgotten, I feel SO much more prepared now if I was to ever foal out a mare again.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 261
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great Jo.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you ARE more prepared Jo. You are so right in your thoughts! Keep that with you. I, too, have watched videos and read books and all that good stuff and then, BAM, when the problem is in your OWN backyard, we all find out too soon that the textbook solution doesn't necessarily work. You find out over the years that your first aid kit gets larger and larger and can contain some rather unusual devices.

Tell your sister that she wouldn't kill it...bless her heart!

I watched an experienced horseman once drop his horse instantly dead by dumping ice cold water from a cooler over the top of his horses head after an all day trail ride and was shocked at the result! Left his common sense at home that day I guess.

I have sure made my share of mistakes in my lifetime and my critters have sometimes had to pay the price of that. But, ultimately, only we know our animals best, even beyond the vets. That's why Tim & Jonathan are priceless to any breeding farm, they KNOW these mares and their quirks/habits. Just like you did. You did what you could do because your gut told you to. You can't get any better than that and you didn't find that in any book or any video or from any super trainer, you found that from within you. Trust yourself! You CAN do this again.

So, they just "pop out", hmmmm...I just call those textbook deliveries but I have yet to see one just pop out. I've had many a mare foal without my presense (sneaky lil devils) and have a foal at their side when I discovered them but, wow, how could I ever say they just popped them out. How do I know that they didn't have a struggle or complication and just overcame it themselves, luckily enough, with any human intervention??? Well, of course the answer is I can't say. I just call those my "missed foaling" events. My poor Echo certainly birthed without my presence and the results were quite obvious this wasn't a "just popped it right out" case. I just got lucky this time. It could have, in a heartbeat, gone the other way just as easily.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US