SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Leading with a butt rope?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Leading with a butt rope? « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 168
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooo, I'm a little confused with the butt rope thing? It says when you start teaching them to lead, you start with a butt rope. What exactly is this and how does this work?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are more exp. than I, of course, but as I understand it, you pull the lead rope around behind the butt and then pull on it to make them walk forward. You'd be pulling on both the lead end that is attached to the halter, and the tail end of it, at the same time.

Emily, do you have another one due?

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 170
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, gotcha, thanks. You mean, another foal due?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. Can't remember how many each has due. So you have one more to go?

And hey, you're an old hat at it now!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, this is my very first foal ever. Lol. I don't have any more coming, either, which is probably good since I really don't know what i'm doing! Lol. How many do you have again?

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 598
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi guys, I posted this once before, so maybe you saw it. My daughter and I controlled our baby by holding him in "the hold" for about a month. You all know...hand on butt and hand on chest. My trainer came at that time and showed us how to start leading...and control his bouncy self. My daughter was in danger of getting her nose bopped while holding him while I did foot work or worked on his various birth boo boos. Here in this picture, you can see how his head in pulled toward her. She has the rope at the halter in her left hand. It is wrapped around his butt. She can take the end of the rope in her right hand and just pull him in when he gets jumping around etc. She has control. We practiced this while Mom was eating...and gradually started giving him his own grain at this time too.

Then to lead, you would do a quick hand switch...whatever works. If they dont come with a pull on the rope at the halter, give them a start at the butt.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r250/shotsnurse1/P1270006_edited-1.jpg

Hope it helped.

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have found starting voice commands to be very helpful. In the past, I used WALK ON, STOP, BACK, AND MOVE OVER. My equipment was a halter, lead rope, butt rope, and dressage whip which I used to tap the baby sometimes or lay against their side, chest, butt etc. When I started I would stand at shoulder, give the command WALK ON and use the pressure of the butt rope...even a step forward gets a GOOD BOY or GOOD GIRL. Eventually, steps forward come with just the command. For backing,again at side of foal, pressure on the chest with fingers or tap with butt end of whip and voice command BACK work. For stop, I use the command and place the whip parallel to the ground across his chest. I start all this in the pen when Mom is eating and ask for only a few steps at a time. Before long the foal is moving left, right, forward, back, turning on forehand etc with little more than a voice command. It becomes fairly easy to take the "game" into a bigger space. I found I could load some older foals into the trailer with a simple WALK ON and laying the whip parallel to the ground against their hocks and wiggling it. PLEASE UNDERSTAND I NEVER USE THE WHIP EXCEPT AS AN EXTENSION OF MY ARM. My purpose is to never pull or put pressure on the halter.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane and Terry, those are great tips for all us novices. I know there is work ahead! It will help.

Jane, what an adorable picture! Your foal and daughter are lovely. Looks like a very nice set up.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 348
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TERRY,AT WHAT AGE DO YOU START LEADING USEING THE BUTT ROPE??AND WHAT DO YOU DO IF THEY GET OUT OF CONTROLL YOU CANT PULL ON THE HALTER AND YOU CANT JUST LET GO.

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 244
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it depends on the mare and foal...I start when the mare and foal are comfortable with me in the stall at feeding time. When I can touch the foal and rub its back and I don't have to catch him, I may start with attaching a lead rope (in the stall) and use the butt rope around the rump. Maybe that is all I do, until the foal is comfortable with the rope. Of course, Mom has to not care what I am doing. Next time I ask him to step one or two steps saying WALK ON. putting pressure on the back of his legs with the butt rope. Sometimes, I press his chest with my fingers and say BACK while standing in front of him. If he steps back one step, I reward him. I just play with him a little for a few days and increase the number of steps and different requests...WALK ON, BACK, STOP. Pretty soon we can do the same excercises in a paddock or anywhere the mare is quietly grazing or standing. I stay near the mare and only work for about 10 minutes...it all grows into longer lessons as the foal is more independent of mom. take your time, many small successful lessons really pay off.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 351
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THANK YOU TERRY,I WILL TRY THAT!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is it that we are never supposed to put pressure on the lead rope, as in, not pulling? I'm sure there is a simple answer, I just haven't been able to figure that one out, for it seems that sooner or later, the little one would give in and follow.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, I think because it can possibly injure their necks and backs if we pull them, but I'm not sure... I've been reading that book by Robert M. Miller and I thought I read something like that today...I could be wrong though! Most likely I am. Lol

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, can a regular lead rope be used as a butt rope or should it be longer?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, I know you are right about injury. Tying young horses cause them to break their necks if they try to pull away. Horrible thought!

I was just wondering about gentle pressure (pulling). Perhaps it sets up a pattern of the foal resisting and us pulling harder-I don't know. In my colt training class we always walked toward the colt if they tried to back away. Once the pressure was released, they usually would stop going backward. So maybe that is it.

I am going to train with voice commands to. I bought a crop yesterday, but will use it only to gently tap, if necessary. When my mare doesn't want to walk somewhere I want her to go, I can usually get her to go simply by going to her side and with the end of the leadrope near-not even touching- her rear, she will go forward. But of course, she had training.

Anyway, I'm already trying to think ahead. I'm sure I'll teach the yung 'un some bad behavior, but want to do what I can to prevent it. I tried to order books online but for some reason they won't take my credit card. Couldn't be that I am over my limit??? HaHaHa!! My horse is keeping me broke, but I don't care. Love her to death. Wish to hell I could ride her, but alas, it's not to be. She must have been somethin' in her glory days, though! She's a wonderful horse. Oaky, I'm rambling. sorry. No excuse; not even lack of sleep.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol that's kinda funny about your credit card, Cj. I can tell you that I am completely broke cuz I've bought so many things for Berra and the baby! Lol. But there's nothing else I would rather spend my money on! By the way, I think I'm gonna use voice commands with my foal, too. It's very important, from what I've heard!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 272
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Emily. My horse knows some commands, like Move Over. I only have to put my hand on her front or back body part that I want her to move and she does it.

I was teaching the colts I worked with to back-up and whoa, and they were getting it, eventhough I only had about three hours a week for each one, for fifteen weeks.

I have to admit, I'm getting pretty excited about this baby. I had a bay once, that was supposed to have come off a rodeo ring and quit bucking. Ha! I was fifteen years old. Did I ask to ride her before I bought her? Nooooo. So of course she threw me first day. But I got her broke to walk and trot. She was a very pretty bay. This foal will be a bay.

Okay Emily and all us DUHH folks-lots of good foalng vibes tonight! We've had some tragedies, but now, it's just good healthy foals ahead! Bobbi, put the foal "mojo" thoughts on and let them foal!

Janet George
Neonate
Username: Janetgeorge

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I start foals leading at one day of age with an arm in front and an arm behind. But being Irish Draught foals, they VERY quickly get a bit big and strong for that. So I use a tea-towel around the neck and a bum rope until they're about two weeks old - then a headcollar and lead rope, PLUS a lead rope around the neck (when a stronger pull is necessary) and the bum rope. Gradually, I rely a bit more on the headcollar. Voice is part of the equation from day 1.

This is how we use a bum rope. http://www.irish-draught.net/bum-rope.jpg

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 06:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janet, are you in the UK ? Tea-towel, bum and headcollar sounds like my cousin in England. I love it!
I have a section B welsh colt that I started leading when he was 3 or 4 days old, a whole lot smaller than a Irish Draught. He leads very well until he doesn't, bum rope (rump rope) is not going to make him move, it is like he has taken root. It is like trying to move a tree stump, I have to dig my finger nails into his bum to get him moving. Thank God he is little, will probably be 13 hands when grown.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1880
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use what we call a "suitcase rope", which sort of combines Janet's tea-towel and bum rope into one, and may prove more wieldy.

Using a soft cotton rope of adequate length (which will be dependent upon the size of the foal), and standing at the left side of the foal (as normal), have one end of the rope in your right hand - with the end of the rope pointed to the front, so the length of the rope is going towards the back of the horse - and your hand approximately over the horses withers or very slightly behind. Take the rope along the offside of the foal around the rump of the foal, and back along the nearside to your hand. Then take the continuation of the rope along the nearside, around the chest of the foal, and back up to your hand on the offside. In essence, you have created a "figure 8" around the foal, with your hand at the center of the "8".

This allows a single-handed control of the forward/restraining motion of the foal, while also allowing the other hand to hold onto the lead-line which is attached to the halter. By doing this, when the foal is leading OK, you don't need to use the "figure-8 rope", but can give the foal the impression that it's being led with the lead-line as control, so it furthers the training at a more rapid rate than just trying to lead Dr. Dolittle's PushMePullYou! :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US