SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

When its all over but the shouting

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » When its all over but the shouting « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 167
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After our foals are foaled, what will we do? I will feel lost without this bulletin board. I'll be so lonely, so, so lonely.

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahaha, me too! I still plan on getting on here though, and I will still have plenty of questions to ask!!! Lol

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely!! Like Bobbi says...we'll talk about how to put the "sweet little foals turned Turds back in" !!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 203
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We'll still be for awhile. There's so much other "stuff" to get through other than just the birth.

Once we get past "Foals First Week"...then we can start the stress over things like, Do I Breed My Mare Again This Year, or "Will My Mare Ever Heal" or "I Want My Sweet Maiden Mare Back" or "How Do I Catch Them Lil Buggers Now That They Are Three Days Old and I'm Now Viewed As Big Footee Humanoid"

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Bobbi! Very true!!!

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that I all ready feel out of place. I mean there is no reason not to be here and wait with others on their foals. But somehow you still feel like you don't belong anymore. :-(
The other thing that makes me sad is that I won't be on foalwatch in 2009 with everybody. I do hope to be back in 2010. Who knows though. I just might have to buy a mare bred for a 2009 foal. :-) Or I could catch up on sleep so I am back at the top of my game by 2010!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Emily.....YOU BELONG, YOU BELONG!!!! We love having you! NOW YOU REALLY KNOW YOU HAVE DUHH!!!!!! YOU'RE CRAZY FOR EVEN TALKING ABOUT "BUYING A PREGO MARE JUST TO FEEL LIKE YOU 'BELONG' ON THIS BOARD!?!?" Apparantly DUHH doesn't just go away after foaling.....I believe you should stay with us at the board until you're fully healed. You may not be safe elsewhere, and others without DUHH would not understand. Emily, we're you're friends, we love you....if you can't get help here, get help SOMEWHERE. LOL!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and CJSKIP, don't worry, after she foals you'll have plenty to do!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 570
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, You sure know how to make a person feel welcome!!! By telling them they are mentally ill and need to stay.

Really, I love this place. The people on here are all so great!!! So I know that I will try to be around even if I am not on foalwatch. :-) But wanting to buy a bred mare isn't just to be a part here. I have been thinking of purchasing another mare for somtime. However, I need to sell some of our previous foals first and move. Then I will think more about it!!! :-)
I know I am crazy!!! The few days before Gracie went I was thinking do I EVER want to do this again. And then probably after my first good nights sleep in awhile I decided yes!!!! Although there is some speculation that one nights sleep isn't enough to make a rational decision and it could be the lack of sleep that was actually talking and not the again well rested me. :-) :-)
Seriously though, I have learned so much with my first three foals that I am finally getting to a place where I can better predict when they are going to foal. Again that last sentence might have to do with my lack of sleep!! :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and I should say that two of those three foals were out of maiden mares. I think you learn faster with them because they don't go by the book. So you watch them even closer therefore you learn more!!! :-) My theory anyway!!!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least you have experience, Emily! Lol. I am totally out of my element here! I don't know what the heck I am doing!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

None of us really do, I think. The mares are apparently in charge! LOL!

I think it's true though; we'll just transfer our DUHH to obsession with the foal and mare post delivery. Are you there Tim? Got an annacronym (sp?) for that one???

Tim Popovitz
Yearling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 62
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm here, sort of. We've got 7 mares waxed and 2 dripping milk and they're all just looking at us at the moment. I'M HAVING A FREAKING DUHH MELTDOWN!!!!!!!!! ACUTE DUHHNESS, MULTIPLE DUHHGASMS, whatever you want to call it.

(Message edited by dystocia on April 17, 2008)

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 157
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hahah, nice, Tim! Good luck!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 234
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Multiple Duhhgasms....now that's a GOOD one!!!

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you guys are so sharp and funny at 1 oclock in the morning. Im just staring on and off at my mare in her stall and trying to fit a little sleep in too.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 572
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,
True, but I didn't with our first foal. I even missed the best sign she gave me. WHITE MILK. I was such an idiot. After it being kind of creamier in color and thick and syrupy I thought that watery and white was a step backwards. I didn't know ANYTHING with that first foal. We missed the birth but only by about 30 minutes. So we were there for everything else. After each new baby though and with talking to people here and on other forums I am a lot more prepared!! But I really got to stop going for these maidens. :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww...but maidens are so FUN! They are the element that has but us all in DUHH-Ville. If we all had old pro mares that can tie off their own babies' umbilical cords with the art of a surgeon then we wouldn't be sitting here on the brink of insanity in the first place!

Do you smoke a cigarette after having a DUHH-gasm? Do you ask your DUHH-ing partners if it was as good for them as it was for you?

Emily: HI!!! You can keep me company on here until June/July :-)

Diana: I think DUHH-ness is an incurable disease, don't you????

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Tim, I can't wait to hear...did you have 7 DUHHGASMS last night??

Emily - hahaha You can get all the sleep you want now...but it's still the DUHH!! working on ya!!! I can say that 'cause I'm caught up on my sleep now & sad that I won't be having foals in 2009 either & completely understand the crazy-silly-insane thought of spending more money on a bred mare! It's the disease all right!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, it is only from my own experience that I say this.....but really anything that results in multiples, keeps you up all night, and would make you spend more money even though you don't need another next year, is absolutely uncurable!!!! LOL

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 573
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Bobbi!!!! I'll hang with you. :-)

Cyndy,
It is insane!!!!! But I want to, WANT TO,WANT TO!!!!!!!
Oops, somebody better call the DUHHctor.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily is showing Obsessive Compulsive behavior and is in severe need of oxygen! NICE...good play on words...keep Tim on his toes!

Speaking of which...I might be getting my oinkers a LITTLE early...my gilts were making "nests" last night and I'm freaking out. I need to get some of them moved out and into pens before they farrow and I don't have the time until Saturday...that derned ole full moon...need some clouds about now! I know Tim..."CHOP, CHOP...get to makin' bacon Bobbi!"

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy, it's not too late-you can join us all for 2009! I know I'm going for it. If my mare can handle it, I'll breed her again. If not-then I'll buy another bred mare or buy and breed. There is a gorgeous, 5 year old chocolate brown QH mare for sale at the local university. They want $5,000. She is very nice, but I'm unfamiliar with pedigrees. Just learning. I imagine she is well bred though.

BUT-, I'd have a maiden then. Oh my-I don't know if I could handle that DUHHgasm!

Tim and Johnathan-I thought you only had three more to go? Did someone else need sleep, and in an attempt to save their marriages, sent more your way?

I agree-DUHH is incurable. But we need to get it into the psychiatric diagnostic handbook, so we can all have a real excuse for being insane!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi you are a REAL Woman!! Not only can you bring in the Bacon, but CHOP,CHOP you slice it up, put it in a pan 'n fry it up!!! Hey buddy I think you've got this pork thing all SOWED up!

Does anybody besides me remember that "woman" commercial where she works (brings in the bacon), fries it up, etc.??? I know...I'm aging myself here...

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy

I only had one, then drifted off too sleep.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwww, well, off to sleep huh?

No, now seriously, so you could have a very busy night tonight then!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah. It could be VERY busy. I think we now have 8 waxed and 2 dripping milk.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: You crack me up!!!! I hope I don't BOAR you all with my pignernity ward! Oh, wait, that's how I got into this predicament...someone got BOARed!

"And never let him forget that he's a man...for she's a wooooommmaaaannn" Does that answer your question about my age as well??? Jeeezzz, I grew up watching Speed Racer and Johnny Quest Saturday mornings on a black & white console TV. Hey, we used to worm our horses back then with chewing tobacco. Now there's an old-timer's method of equine veterinary medicine! That and "udder ointment"...another cure all from the good ole days!

Tim: WAKE UP!!! Take your feet off that whiskey barrel and "glove up"...get this weekend foaling ball rolling!

Cj: They have pills for what ails you...hahaha! Someone needs to yank the checkbook out of your hands before you become dangerous!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzzzz.......snort.........extra cheese, hold the hippomane.....zzzzzzzzz.......snort.....snort.....zzzzzzzzzzz

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Cyndy, I remember the commercial. "She can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan and never, never let him forget he's a man!" Then add Bobbi's, "For she's a woooommmaaannnn!" I had forgotten that last part!

And Bobbi, what checkbook? I have to go straight to the plastic now!!! HaHa!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's all have foals tonight, okay? Tim and Johnathan, you can have all 30+ that are due and get it over with too. You might be babbling incoherently for a week or so afterward, but it'd worth it, wouldn't it?

And where is the other "lurker," by the way. He introduced himself once, but then I don't think we've heard from him again; unless it is Paul? You know, the more the merrier! Anyway, we don;t want to leave anyone out; especially since misery loves company!! LOL!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 235
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: Geeezzzz, does it take an earthquake now to wake you up and get you on the ball?!??!?!

Cj: Plastic???? Lines of Credit are some real temptors too!!! Hahahaha!

I'm going to go to a neighboring town tomorrow to pick up 75 bales of alfalfa...my husband is preparing the divorce papers as this gentleman has 2 (yes, 1, 2) thoroughbred mares he is getting rid of. (cheap, cheap, cheap) I've just made myself sick now because I know I've got to figure out a way to sneak them into the pasture without my husband noticing...if I can just figure out how to tape the set of cattle horns on their heads, I'd be alright...

Jonathan Smith
Yearling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 51
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

We are still recovering from the 3 in 16 minutes. Besides it still a little cold out in the middle of the night and I like my nice heated barn.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan, you are so lucky you have a heated barn!! That is too awesome!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, it's just that my checkbook balance is zero. Spent over a thousand this month getting my girl all fixed up to foal in semi-style.

I know some goats that had some horns put on them at Christmas last year. If it worked for them...? Anyway, you get enough horses out in the pasture, how could he notice a few more? Right? That's the problem; you just don't have enough horses (especially pregnant mares).

Yes Johnathan, I can imagine the three in 16 minutes was a wee bit taxing, even for you pros. But wouldn't it be nice to be done? but then you'll miss it, right? All the sleepless nights? All the waiting?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

The bad part of 3 in 16 minutes is that it's not even the record. Chris our lab tech had 3 in 9 minutes when she foal watched 10 years ago. She ended up having 5 that night(also still a record). I remember stopping in and checking on her and she didn't look to good. Blond hair sticking out in every direction and a bit of shaking. That was her only year on foal watch. Too much stress and back then we only had 60 to 70 to foal out.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh. Well, are you wanting to beat the old record?

That was some way to break in a new foal watcher. Sounds like she handled it pretty well. I'd be on the ground needing assistance myself. 3 in 9 minutes and 5 in one night!! WOW! I suppose that does take some of the, "awww...look..." comments out of the equation.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

Luckily for us she ran the foaling barn during the day for several years prior to that night. She can keep the record for all I care, but it might fall tonight. We have 8 waxed and 1 dripping.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 dripping

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand!!!!!!! How come when your's are "waxed" or "dripping," it means foaling could happen tongiht????

Mine dripped like a faucet (two of them) and then waxed and that was a week ago?? She's still undelivered. I decided tonght, that since she doesn't have an elongated vulva, I need NOT foal watch. But then I read your post and.....

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We read the foaling protocol to them and they know better than to make any changes. Below is a portion of our quick reference list. This is why I think I will have some tonight. It is a pain to keep current but worth the work.

???????- DUE 4-27
01- 5 DAYS EARLY, C.WAX TO DRIPPING 2 DAYS
02- 3 DAYS EARLY, C. TO W. TO DRIPPING 12 HRS
03- 4 DAYS EARLY, W.WAX 2 DAYS
04- 2 DAYS OVER, C. TO W. TO DRIPPING 12 HRS
05- ON, C. TO W.WAX HRS, DRIPPING JUST PRIOR
07- 1 DAY OVER, WAXED

????????????- DUE 4-20
92- 6 DAYS OVER, WAX HRS
93- 2 DAYS OVER, WAX 4 DAYS
95- 2 DAYS OVER, WAX HRS
96- ON, C.WAX 10 DAYS, W.WAX 1 DAY
97- 8 DAYS OVER, W.WAX HRS
98- 7 DAYS OVER, WAX 40 MINUTES
99- 1 DAY OVER, C. TO W. TO DRIPPING 1 DAY
00- 8 DAYS OVER, C. TO W.WAX 1 DAY
01- 4 DAYS OVER, C.WAX 4 DAYS, W.WAX 1 HR
03- 1 DAY EARLY, C.WAX 4 DAYS, DRIPPING HRS
04- 4 DAYS OVER, C.WAX 1 DAY
05- 1 DAY, EARLY, C. TO W.WAX 1 DAY, DRIPPING 1 DAY, FEW SIGNS
06- ON, NO WAX

???????- DUE 4-23
02- 3 DAYS OVER
03- 6 DAYS OVER
04- 4 DAYS OVER
06- 25 DAYS EARLY, RED BAG
07- 3 DAYS EARLY, W.WAX TO DRIPPING HRS, FEW SIGNS, LOT OF PEANUT BUTTER

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut Butter??????

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jonathan: I know that you've had a rough weekend but I have a question about DUMMY Foals. (Uh, my dummy foal to be exact.)

He's doing well but I'm a little baffled by some behaviors. He gets confused about who's his mother. He is out in a large field with mom and with Lena (due June 24). He will wake up from sleeping and go running for Lena, who's grazing a ways off from his mom, hang with her and when he's hungry, he'll stand in the middle of the field and whinny, look around (mom's only 10 gallops away) but its like he can't find her. Mom (who's a maiden and quite frankly...not much of a mommy) tolerates him nursing but doesn't seem to care whether he's there or not. Does he just not get who's the mom? Lena is a great surrogate mom but of course, can't provide him with a meal. She enjoys him around as long as he doesn't try to nurse from her (and yes, he does try when he can't seem to see his own mother standing 20 feet away!). Is this a characteristic of dummy foals? Or is this a case of mom is just not very attentive and motherly so he's trying to form a bond with someone? Certainly my other foal (who's just a little rascal and aggravates his mother to death) doesn't have this problem and for all the trouble he causes, mom still makes sure she knows where he's at.

I'm trying to get a better understanding of what's happening before I make any future breeding decisions. If mom's not a good mother, is it just because she was a maiden and doesn't "get" what happened? Will she be better with the next time around? I certainly don't want to consider re-breeding her if this is a behavior that will worsen and take a risk that next year's foal will be completely rejected.

Anyone's thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi is this Moose you are talking about?

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

The peanut butter is a form of fungus called Nocardia. It looks like thin peanut butter in the placenta when we are checking it.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: Yes, this would be my poor Moose. He really is somewhat retarded, poor thing, you just gotta love him all the more for it! Bless his moose-looking heart! (I'll have to get you some updated pics to look at...you will laugh...cuz he does look more like a moose than a horse!)

Jonathan: Shame on you...never noticed anything that looks like food in the placenta, but now, I will be looking for it in the future and OMG...I'll just have to add it to one more thing to look for during foal watch.

I do remember the first foal I ever had though and calling my vet (of course, who I worked for) and saying...ummmm...there's something in the placenta with the baby and I think my mare just delivered her liver! It was pretty funny!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan/Tim: See my topic under Breeding Problem Mares and comment if you can on what your protocol is. Muchos Gracias Senors...that's the Tequila talking! Hehehe!

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi- My two year old was born a dummy foal. He was a sick little guy, but when he was about 10 days old he was turned out with the rest of the mares and foals at his breeding farm (about 15 mares), and he started nursing off another mare. lol. He didnt seem to notice, but his mom was frantically racing around trying to find him. He has always been a bit more independent than the rest of the foals I have known. Haha, maybe it does have to do with him being a "dummy" foal.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 77
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut Butter:

Here is a good article : http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/horse-health/2002/March/16/Nocardioform-mystery -solved.aspx

The Moose:

You are right to be a bit concerned but as long as he is nursing mom, things are going to be OK. I see this type of thing often after we begin to leave our mares and foals out at night. We have one mare that usually tries to kill us when entering the stall (I belive I've mentioned her before). But, when out in the herd, she is the field baby-sitter. It is not uncommon for her to have 8 or so foals around her while thier mothers are off grazing on top of the hill. She won't let them nurse and quickly sets the rules, but she doesn't mind the little one's company.

Some mares are just more attentitive (sp) than others.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, Poor little Moose. I'd love to see new pics of him!

I kind of know what you are talking about though. Malik has begun to move farther away from mom now and she seems more relaxed about him getting further than 10 ft from her. I've watched Malik suddenly look up and realize the distance between what he "thinks" is his mom, but is really Sassye, and he runs to her. Initially she didn't seem to mind, but now she pins her ears back and squeals at him to move away. It's so funny...because he gives this haughty little squeal back to her as he trots off in search of mom who's usually running to rescue him with her ears truly pinned back & teethed barred at the other mare.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your help guys on this one. I just ADORE my little moose (ya gotta love the one that just seemed to be "dropped on his head" from birth); poor chap...he's just a few french fries short of a happy meal.

Tim: He's still nursing but to be honest with you and all joking aside, I really AM concerned with him. Mom is really NOT a very good mommy with him. When he is whinnying for her and he acts like he can't see her anywhere (even when he's 2 feet from her!), she gives no response to him. Doesn't look for him, doesn't respond back to him, and quite frankly, makes him "work" for a meal. (She'll try walking away whenever he first tries to nurse and after several attempts from him to nurse and this reaction from her, she finally gets disgusted enough that she will "let" him nurse but if she's grazing and feels like walking to another spot, she will.

Echo, on the other hand, like Cyndy says gets aggravated with her little handfull of attitude, but when he actually wants to nurse, she will stop all her grazing activity, cock a backleg for her personal comfort and let him nurse until he's had enough, then she goes back to eating.

So, I have quite a little dilemma on my hands, my maiden mare who delivered very successfully with no tearing or personal trauma is a crappy mom and my mare that tore to east africa and is a probably risk to breed again is super mom. This really stinks!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnathan, I appreciate the trouble you went to post the foaling protocol you "read to your mares," but not certain I understand.
Have these mares foaled at your barn before? So you have records to go by? If so, I understand. If not, I'm just lost!

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

All the mares on the quick reference list are the ones that have foaled here or foaled on one of our other farms. All of the horses on the farm are owned by us, no boarders. So we see them year in and year out. I have foaled out a few mares that I helped deliver as foals a few years ago. We have a computer program that allows us to get their foaling records no matter which farm they foal at. It is pretty sweet.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 22, 2008)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, you convinced me. I'm starting records on my mare right now, 'cause next year, I won't remember! Hey! Did I say next year? Yes I did. That just slipped out there!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Moose (my sweet little dummy foal) galloped across the open field last night. Have you ever seen a National Geographic episode on giraffe's??? And you know how they just sort of lumber and it almost looks like they are running in slow motion??? Poor Moose-Man...he now resembles a giraffe! I will take some video...it will make you all laugh! The grace and finese gene was recessive.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 605
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
I can picture it!! LOL They do have a lot of legs to deal with though. :-)

Well, today they got to go out for the first time. I finally got an area set up for them. My goal is within the next couple of weeks to introduce the baby to electric fencing and then get them out on pasture.
Anyway, I took tons of pictures!!! So I just have to share a few.
Oh, and thanks to Tawnya who pointed me out to a naming website my filly now has a name!!!! The website had a Spanish section which was great because I was looking for a Spanish name!!! So, meet Zita,( see-tah). Or as I will sometimes call her Z. Zita means little hope. So I think of her as my little hope because of the five years of waiting and wondering if Gracie would ever have a baby. Although some places said that Zita means little girl, rose, or little rose. I just decided for me it would mean little hope. Oh, and in Persian it means reaper and in Arabic it means mistress. So I am sticking to the Spanish meaning. LOL

Uncle Jake on the right and Honey our other mare seeing Zita for the first time.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita8.jpg

Just being cute. Plus you can really see her blue eye in this picture.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita.jpg

Watch out hormonal mare!! Actually just a happy to be out mare. lol
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita1.jpg

Zita explores her first puddle.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita2.jpg

Taking a scratch and being adorable.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita3.jpg

Not the best picture but just funny with Gracie running in the background.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita7.jpg

I can fly, I can fly, I can fly!!!
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita6.jpg

Just a good run.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/Zita5.jpg

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1211
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures Emily! They both look so happy! :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 04:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Emily! These mares just come alive after they foal. I think its because they were so fat and miserable for so long that a good run, buck & kick is a definate item on the agenda! They are adorable!

Beth Sanford
Nursing Foal
Username: Speedymoose

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, what a beautiful pair!!! Congratulations! IMO the I Can Fly picture you posted should be in a calander! I'd at least blow that up and hang it up somewhere.....SO CUTE!!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 608
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Everyone!!!! They certainly were happy to go out but Gracie got really upset when I brought her back in and she could no longer see the other horses. Good grief!!! If it is not one thing it is another. lol

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 284
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pics Emily....now give up the name of the website you found it on! ?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily-great photos! Wow. Love the "I can fly..." one too. Mama sure loves to kick up her heels too, doesn't she? Pretty baby too!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 613
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj and Diana, Thanks!! Yes, Gracie has always been a little on the wild side. Plus she has spent the good part of the last four months in a stall because all my fields have fescue. So her turnouts were few and far between. :-(

The website Tawnya gave me washttp://www.funhorsenames.com/

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US