SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foaling surprises?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foaling surprises? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard and read a lot about signs that foaling is imminent. I just wonder if the restlessness, tail raising or swishing, looking at, biting at or kicking side, and so on, are ever absent and the horse just has it?? Mine has the consitently full bag and a few other things, but just wonder if they always do some of the restlessness and so on that I mentioned?

Also, how long can they delay labor if they feel threatened? And at what stage?

Tim Popovitz
Yearling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every year we have a couple of "suprises". It drives Jonathan nuts. Very rarely do they get the foal all the way out before they are found though. If they manage to push one out between our checks, they didn't need (or want) our help anyway.

It happens.

I don't know how long they can delay, our mares are observed 24/7 and it doesn't seem like they appear threatened. To me anyway. If you are NOT watching them, how do you know?

Which begs the question:

If a mare foals and noone is around to hear it, did she really have a foal?

Sorry, it's late.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're too funny tim!!! CJskip.....many times mares exhibit these signs when they are huge and uncomfortable with the way the foal is positioned. Then they go back to normal when the foal has repositioned. They almost always show SOME sign of discomfort, but it's different in different mares. I have one mare who you'd NEVER catch foaling if you didn't know her well...she shows ZERO outward signs of impending foaling until about 10 minutes before going into labor...then she starts shaking her head and pacing, plops right down and has a foal in like 3 minutes. Another of mine glooms over it for days...drags it out, and paws and paces for several days, doesn't eat, can't be comfortable, and makes everyone around her (particularly me) miserable! As for the "how long can they postpone" question....they don't like to be interrupted. If they feel there is too much going on around them they just wait for a quieter time. I continuously checked on a mare of mine who I KNEW was going to foal that night, and she held onto it till after the morning check. Horses are pretty smart, and they figure out your routine if you're consistent. There have been times when I've looked down at the barn and wondered who's watching who. My smallest mare ALWAYS foals just after check in...as a matter of fact, this year she didn't even wait till I got back to the house! Hang in there....it's worth it to be there in the end. To see the mare doing clean up and loving on her baby, baby's first steps, and MY FAVORITE...the first tiny little nicker that grabs your heart and won't let go! (oh yeah, and puppy breath! I love that foals have puppy breath!!!!!) LOL I didn't stay up all night, so I have no excuse....I'm just goofy 24/7...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 167
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: A bigger question...if a mare foals and there's noone around to witness it...and a week and half later, the foal's father's personality has completely taken over this "cute" baby and you've now barn named him "JJ" for Junior Jack*@#, and mommy mare is now ready to dis-own him and refuses to acknowledge this little turd muffin is related to her, did she really foal?

Echo says the answer is...NO!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, you are such fun! But yea, I get the no sleep! And Bobbi, your foal might not really exist. I mean if Mama doesn't awknowledge him...hum. I'm sure she'll forgive you though once he's weaned. LOL!

Diana, thanks for the info. Man, these mares are something else. Mine just looks at me when I shine the spot light on her at 11:00pm, 1:00; 3:00 and 5:00 and 6:30 am. She looks ready one day, but not the next. Maybe I'll change up my routine. She is butt up to the rails again, but vulva is normal. Eating a lot more though.

I guess I used the term "threatened" kind if loosely in my post. I read that somewhere. But I mean it in the sense that they want to be alone; no one watching. I'm sure it must be instinctual. They have to know we aren't going to hurt them, but I imagine anything that brings attention to them (as they see it) when they foal, could seem like a threat. A mild one perhaps, but a threat.

So on we go, the horse love-sickness people. What else can we do? I keep hanging on to the words I read about how much fun it'll be when they get here. Sometimes it doesn't seem real.

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my mares last year was very restless for about 10 days before she foaled, the day she foaled she stood stock still. She was pretty stalked up, so I took her out to hand walk her for 30 minutes. I put her back in her stall, and an hour later, we had a foal on the ground :]

They just like to keep us guessing, and make us lose sleep over them. lol. All those nights of foal watch did me not a bit of good! Darn mare foaled at 7pm, during feeding time!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Who lied to you and told you they were "fun" once they were on the ground???? Hahaha! (Go read foal's first week...that'll give ya a real eye-opener!)

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 170
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've told this before, but my best "suprise" was the last one I did at home (I now send them off to a foaling barn).
As I have expressed before, I am TOOOOOO ANXIOUS and I had called the vet (for the umpteenth time in a week) and had him come out because the mare had been pacing and sweating a bit and in general was "not happy".
I think maybe he (the vet) was somewhat put out with me, anywho....he did show up for like the 98th time and checked her out and said that she was close and would probably "go" in the next 24 hours or so.

Then the vet gave me a look then like "I don't want to hear from you until she has it!" I think he meant it too!

Anyway, he went off down the drive and I walked back to the tackroom to get a saddle to ride another horse. Walked out of the tack room and noticed the mare had laid down. Dropped the saddle in the aisle and crept over and peeped over the stall side and her water had broke! I mean the vet couldn't have cleared the driveway!

Queen of Panic that I was, I immediately got on the cell phone and called the vet's office and his wife said she would page him and send him right back over (boy, I bet when he got that page to turn around back to my place he didn't say nice things!)

He came back up the drive in about 5 minutes and the foal was HERE! Vet came into the barn with this look on his face like "I am on Candid Camera, right?"

I don't think he could believe she had it that fast and quickly after he had just looked at her!

The mare seemed rather smug about the whole thing and I swear she was grinning!

That was the last one I did at home. I cant take it. I send them off now.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine: That IS HYSTERICAL! Do you not do it at home due to the sound of a dial-tone following, of course the "Hello" from your veterinarian and you replying, "Hi...this is Catherine" when you call now?!?!?!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 171
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,
Nah, my nerves just get SO shot! I have been around horses all my life and have seen the foaling process, good and bad outcomes, for years. I honestly can NOT take it. I get beside myself with worry and anguish and imagine all possible horrible things that could go wrong. I fret at every tail lift, every groan, EVERYTHING!

I honestly get the mares to the point of I think they wish someone would just shoot me!

I honestly just get to be a basketcase weeks beforehand and my poor husband threatened to leave me on the last one :-)

I know I am on better terms with my vet now that I send them off to the breeding farm to foal.

I said this in an earlier post, I just send them off and then keep my tequila stocked and sit by the phone. We even have this down to a sience where I'm allowed one phone call a day to check and then I leave them alone. They call me when the delivery occurs, doesn't matter if its 2 am.

This has worked out a lot better for all concerned and I think my mares actually appreciate it. I still have my husband and my vet still speaks to me :-)

I'm good to go once the little guys get on the ground.
I "jus' don't do no good birthin babies Miss Scarlett".

Jonathan Smith
Weanling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate suprises!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are too funny!! Humor is exactly what all us crazed, sleep deprived foal watchers need! Thanks for the laughs!!

I figure my mare has decided to have the foal right after dark, or right after my last check near day break! She'll not show any signs. Just wait till I leave and boom-baby will be here.

Well I won't have it, I tell you, I just won't have it!!

The camera idea looks better and better all the time!! But how can it cover the whole stall? I think she would figure it out and stand in the corner that isn;t viewed. At about $100.00 a pop, I'd need at least two of them. Huh. Guess I'll keep on losing sleep!

She's not gonna beat me-she's not-she's not!!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ,
Just plan a nice evening out. Make reservations at a really nice restaurant (one you can't cancel or they will charge you).
I guarantee she will go into labor as you are checking on her for the last time before you get ready to go out!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 04:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: I think Cj hates surprises too!

Catherine: YOU ARE RIGHT! My "suprise" came when I had a tax appointment that I COULDN'T cancel! Freaking 3 weeks, day and night, a family member kept vigilence over her...oh no...she waited in the depths of "leave me alone" attitude...clinching...not walking for fear it would fall out due to gravity...tucking the tail between her legs as an extra preventative tactic...then, the moment she was alone for 5 minutes...BAM!...spit that baby out! She had him on a pretty steep hilly incline. I think she was heading for high ground and she just couldn't hold it any longer.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 05:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj

Just a word of caution about trying to get "inside" a pregnant mares head. It's a nice place to visit, but you don't want to stay there too long. You are already beginning to show classic signs of Dysfunctional Un-foaled Horse Handlers syndrome or DUHH!!!!

It may be time for an intervention.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh lord! You guys really do have me rolling in laughter tonight!

Catherine, great idea about the appt. I'll call from her stall so she knows I'm planning (hehe) to be gone.

Bobbi, I can just see her heading uphill and the baby just starts falling out! What a sight that would be! And no, I do not want any surprises! I would rather keep on doing foal watch for another whole month, than miss it.

Yup, Tim, it could be time for an intervention, but they'd have to drag me out feet first, while I held onto her stall for dear life yelling, "no, no, she's gonna foal, she's gonna, she is..."

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, I can just picture it. Holding on to the stall door screaming "Nooooooooooo"

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know if coffee will damage an LCD monitor?

Well played Cj....

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you have an "Opps," Tim?

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's just not safe to read through these posts after midnight while drinking anything.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, Tim, Tracy, Catherine, & Jonathan: Could we all be just a bit more funnier?!?!?!

Cj: You're gonna be soooooo ticked off when you go in for a bathroom run only to come out and find you missed the big event!!!

Tim: I shouldn't have said that to Cj...she is soooo suffering from DUHH that she's liable to designate her "potty" spot in the stall now so she'll never have to leave!!! When she starts eating out of the same grain bucket as her mare for a survival tactic, it is seriously time to intervene!

Cj: That's why your mare is yawning so much...she's picking up the habit from you! Hahahaha!

Tim: Do not drink coffee over computer screens when reading funny stuff late at night. I wouldn't worry about the screen near as much as I would worry about your sinus cavity getting "honed out" when coffee is ejected through your nose!

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My surprise this season was provided by Kudu...a maiden with a small bag. At 333 days she looked like she was crawling towards foaling and I let her out for the night...thinking tomorrow I will start keeping her in a paddock....lo and behold I looked out into a misty pasture and saw Kudu with a little something beside her...a colt. There were no signs of discomfort, she was not very large and carrying well within her body and I really thought she would go over her due date...a complete surprise....NEXT YEAR I WILL WATCH HER MORE CLOSELY FOR LONGER...she probably will go 360 days...ha ha

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cjskip....the camera I have covers the entire stall...it pans and tilts fully, and is great! Here's a link! I have purchased from this buyer several times, and they're reliable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Color-2-5-LCD-wireless-Baby-Monitor-Pan-Tilt-601KLD_W0QQitem Z170210463937QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 563
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief!!!! You all are to funny!!!!

Cj,
Diana suggested the same camera to me and that is the one I bought. I really do like it. I was inside watching tv and Gracie at the same time when she went down. I knew it was probably going to be that night but it saved me from sleeping outside in the cold spell we were in the middle of that week. :-)

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 64
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj I also purchased this same camera. I highly recommend it. It is a wide angle lens plus you can move it (remotely) sideways, up and down to monitor anywhere you want. The reception is very good...up to roughly 300 ft. If your barn is metal you may have to play around with moving the camera & the receiver a little to avoid interference. The clarity of the picture is very good. I keep mine plugged into a TV sitting beside the TV I'm watching. Then, the receiver is battery powered with a 2.5" LCD screen so you can walk around the house and still keep an eye on your mare. Oh yeah, and it has sound...this way your entire family can sit in the house and watch you when you give the mare those little "okay...this holding out on me has gone on far too long" speeches & laugh at you and your "horse-love-sickness!!!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bobbi when have DUHH and are on foalwatch and it is 20 degrees outside the corner spot in the stall starts looking pretty good!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 172
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Cyndy, but I'm not admitting to anything!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm checking out that camera Diana. Thank-you very much for the link. It's has been too windy at night to sleep out.

This morning she is standing still, swishing tail, swish, swish; sigh. DUHH is taking over my life-but I don't care. At least I'm not in denial-that's a good thing, right?

Terry, well I guess Kudo could teach us all something, huh? Like all the veteran people on this board have been saying, the signs are just that. She'll foal when she foals.

But maybe I'll get more scientific and do the test strips and the opaque milk on black surface test that Jos posted. Oh, and maybe the temp. too. But she'll hate me before I'm done, so maybe I'll just get the camera and keep it by my bed.

There's a thought. She'll think I've given up-no more spot light shined on her in the middle of the night. Hummm.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine, I've been meaning to ask. When do you send them to the foaling farm? Is it at 340 days and they stay until delivered?

Can anyone tell me what the average cost of such a place is? Not that I'd ever use one of course...hehe

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 201
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUHHing does make us do things that otherwise would be unbecoming to our comfort zone! Hahahaha! Remember...while I'm "making fun" with you...it was I, who is only in the beginning throngs of building our house-basement's dug-supposed to be in by December 08-yea, right, I'm bettin' this won't go by deadline-who stayed in the one room cabin a/k/a the future chicken coop (chickens will be in paradise); Trekking across the maternity field at 2:00AM with nothin but a flashlight, my snug sky blue jammie bottoms, my cloppin' big ole mud boots, a gray thick down knee-length coat, and my purple "grannie" knitted hat & scarf combo, (I know...I was stylin' wasn't I???Quite the attractive picture!) was not amused one bit when I'd get halfway to finding a horse, any horse would do, and the cold, artic blast would hit me...the shiver would escalate and all of a sudden, the entire 40 acres looked like a giant bathroom to me!

By week three...that in itself created a human health hazard as my mares (at 2:00AM) seemed to amble down to the back 3 acre corner, across 2 creeks during this watch time, and began to get quite accustomed to seeing my little light bobbin down the hill to find them. So, much to their amusement, they soon found that once I got to the bottom of the hill, prior to crossing the creek, the cold air and the sound of the bubbling (or at times, raging) water from the creek was the final straw for human "containment."

There's nothing worse than being in a compromising "situation" and hearing the sound of thundering hoofs and then the crashing of mud and water. You KNOW they are coming right for you...you can't see them...and you start praying to God that you'll "finish" in time. I fully expected to read in the local paper: "Local Irondale Women Is Killed By Stampeding Pregnant Mares While Using The Great Outdoors As A Public Rest Stop"

Is self-humiliation a sign of severe mental distress I wonder????

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: I took my mare to hospital to foal out in CA this past summer.
Humphrey Giacopuzzi Equine Hospital
4774 Donlon Rd. Somis, CA

I took her the first of July. Her 340th day would have been July 23rd..she delivered on July 20th...picked them both up on July 23rd.

Here is a break down on the charges

Foaling $250
Foal Alert $ 70
Neonatal Exam $ 35
Post Exam $ 35
IGG Test $ 35
Stall per day $ 30 x 22 = $660

Total cost was $1,085 My healthy dream filly-priceless.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi hahahha...no, it's just DUHH!!! And, your mares probably thought u were just one of the herd!!! teheee

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: We have adopted your new "word"...I think that should be the title to your new book you're going to write someday. "DUHH" A Must For Every Mare Owner!

Wow...you must have Jonathan and the other guy that we don't know his real name busy today. It's been toooo quiet!

How many foalings do you have left and when is the last one due?

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

We've been fairly busy. We had 2 last night, today we've got 7 mares waxed-up and 1 dripping milk. I have a feeling after tonight I will be wishing for a good case of DUHH.

Only 34 left though.!!!!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Tim, after the last foal hits the ground. What the heck do you, Jonathan and the staff do for the rest of the year???? Drink??? Sit around barn alley's spittin tobacco juice at the buzzing flies while barn swallows divebomb your heads????? Foot propped up on the end of a whiskey barrel telling tall tales about how you once delivered an elephant on the banks of Africa's last watering hole???? Sitting in Tahiti recanting the long hours of insanity you've read on this very board????

Inquiring minds want to know.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 220
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi! Self humiliation IS in fact a sign of severe mental distress.....BUT EVEN MORE SO, is the fact that you would tell that hilarious story to the world!!!!!LOL (not that it happened, but that you would tell it!!!)
AND, I want you to know,...I too own the "flashlight, my snug sky blue jammie bottoms (mine have spongebob squarepants on them, my cloppin' big ole mud boots (camo), a gray thick down knee-length coat, and my purple "grannie" knitted hat & scarf combo" .....and it is ONLY self humiliation when you end up at the vet's office wearing them.....TWICE!!! yep, two mares in a row, I was down at the barn checking in the middle of the night with jammies and all that junk, when there was a "throw em in the trailer emergency" and I was at the vet's at 2 am in jammies!!! It wasn't really that bad until I went in a few days later to pay the bill and the vet said to me..."OH, I DIDN'T RECOGNIZE YOU WITH CLOTHES ON" LOL!!! embarassing!!!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

My post-season to-do list is not nearly as cosmopolitan as as that. Actually, we remain pretty busy all year long. We've got to wean 138 little ones. There are the little viruses that work thier way through the herd too. Not to mention the fact that these little buggers all seem to think thier sole purpose in life is to dream up new ways to destroy themselves.

I try to take a good vacation after the last one foals out though. I try to reconnect with my wife and kids and spend as much quality time with them as I can before the foaling machine gets up and running again.

BTW, the title's a keeper.

However, I can't imagine reading anything more entertaining and useful than some of the posts on this board. A good web-community can offer more than any book I've ever read, and one of those things is a SENSE of community. Ya'll rock!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aww.....

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 569
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, how nice!!!! I think it is just great that you and Jonathan have joined our little community and added all your wisdom!!!!!!

Donna Daily
Neonate
Username: Missy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diane, How many cameras can you put on your system? I am upgrading my system but will need 5-6 cameras at least. I think the camera you are using plugs into power and then a receiver transmits it to the house monitor? I am keeping it wireless...any suggestions would be appreciated.
I love all the wonderful information you all share on this site!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This system supports up to 3 cameras, but yes, they have to be plugged in at the barn. It's wireless to the receiver at the house, which is battery operated handheld with a screen, or you can plug it into the wall. You can also hook it up with av cables to your tv or dvd recorder and record your mare's births. Depending on your setup, you can use one camera for multiple stalls with the pan and tilt features...It rotates, if you put it between 2 stalls, you can view both easily. it also has 16meters night vision. So no supplemental light is necessary.

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi,

I am a little offended by the stereotyping.

Just kidding! I get to spend the rest of the year working off the foaling barn weight. Unlike any normal farm we have to walk through the fields at night and check the horse, reset wraps, replace hoof packs...etc.

I also work for a lady that has a small boarding farm/training center for eventing horses. She seems to work me more from July thru October than Tim ever has. She will call and the first thing I hear is "I have some man's work for you." She uses this anytime it involves getting dirty, heavy lifting, or she just doesn't want to do it. I have to add it is nice to be around all of those nice looking ladies after looking at Tim and Goober's ugly mugs for 5.5 months. They will probally say the same thing about me, but I know i'm the best looking of the bunch!

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I didn't trudge around the pasture in my PJs but I did sit up all night in my car listening to XM radio, the Escape channel....with my baby monitor by my side watching my stalled mare circling,pooping,peeing, sleeping,farting etc for hours on end. Every now and then I would pull on my tennies and creep out to look at Kate pacing in the paddock up the driveway. Sometimes I would meet Debbie flashlight to flashlight as she responded to her every two hour alarm. We did this for at least two weeks. Yes she did have on powder pink pajamas and rubber boots...must be the fashion

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many cameras does it take to monitor a mare who refuses to go into labor? Okay, so it's lame, but I'm really tired and I'm calling it a night-well, at least on the board for now. Quick nap before the checks continue. I'm buying a camera for the stall. I really am.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ you can always run to the local walmart and buy a baby monitor with vision for like $99 It's cheap and easy to install. Matter of fact, email me your address and I'll send you my old one if you want it. It has a 5 inch tv screen to stare at,night vision. This is not the pan tilt model I spoke of earlier, but would work great for you if you need one and are on a budget...(free) Let me know. kdgilger@att.net

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Offended by my stereotype???? Awwww...we forget that Bobbi was once a "pinhead"...lived the life, done the time...you know, comedy is only really funny when its true!

Tim: See...you can still be most helpful with weaning advice. And you are so right; self destruction with these little snots seems to be the number one item on their agenda! Little JJ had "issues" last night...evidently he had an itch in the middle of his back, couldn't reach it and because I was in the general vacinity, he thought I was the cause of his irritation so he proceeded to want to walk over the top of my head to display his dissatisfaction. I'm keeping a journal of who's naughty and who's nice...boy, self-destruction might look pretty good to him after I work his cute little tush over.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HIGH FIVE to all my "classy" well-dressed foal watching buddies! Really funny stories and good grief, we should start a clothing line for DUHH-ers! Mandatory dress is required and it MUST be the tackiest things you own!

Diana: How funny! My vet would LOVE you! You load them up and take them to him in the middle of the night??? Here's my conversation last week for the IGg testing: Vet: "Can you bring Blossom & Moose here this afternoon?" Bobbi: "Ummm...nope...remember this is my mare that thinks a 2-Horse Trailer is a starting gate and the minute she hears a shift in metal-she's jumping throught the front of the trailer." Vet: "Ohhh...I forgot...can you just bring Moose over without mom." Bobbi: "Sure...I hope you don't have any other plans for this evening because when I cart off baby, mommy will completely stress out and barbed wire/equine will have a parting of the ways. If you don't mind performing emergency surgery tonight, I can sure load him up and bring him." Vet: "I'll be there in about an hour on my way home." Bobbi: "That'll work!" Hehehe!

Terry: That's hysterical. Hey...you and Debbie should have tag-teamed! Sent Morse Code by flashlight!

Cj: Unfortunately, the number of cameras will not ease your foal-watching pain.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 134
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI TO ALL:
I spent 175.00 at radio shack for 1 camera with wireless receiver that needs to be hooked up to a vcr type thing?? I exchanged it for a ebay survilence (SP) type camera came with DVR software 4 camera's everything you need and they work really good for 194.00 And it was easy to

install!!!!!!!! Now I just have to figure out how to look at my mare in the internet??ww.security4udirect.net

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

I forgot to mention that I prefer moonshine. It has a little more bang for the buck and I can't afford good bourbon! Also whiskey barrels are in Tennessee. We have Bourbon barrels and they do make nice furniture.

I have no interest in foaling elephants, but I would consider doing some kangaroos in Australia. Maybe a couple of llamas in Peru. I have heard that both places have some nice hiking.

Can anyone create a message board with spell check? I could post a lot quicker if I didn't have to reach for the dictionary so often.

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan- thats one of the good things about posting at night we are all so sleep deprived that we wont even notice grammer or spelling!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 191
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, thanks so much for the offer, but I need an outdoor type. Never made it to the store today. Stuff came up. So perhaps tomorrow.

You women make me feel better with your stories of the worst dressed list! I wanted to wear something that I could easily add to when going out to do my checks. My bedroom is pretty warm, and I have to have an electric blanket for my little dog, so out comes the sleeveless nightgown. Nothin much, pretty basic, just in case anyone is wondering, tehe.

By the door, I leave my long flannel nightgown, two pair of those fuzzy slipper socks, a pair of easy slip on stretch pants and a jacket. Then, I wear these rubber slip on sandals to the porch. If I feel I need a closer look, I add my work boots.

The first time I wore it, I hoped no one would see it. But after a time or two, hey, who cares! This time of year, I think a lot of horse people are doing the same thing.

Maybe we could all do other DUHH people a favor, by wearing our "true attire" to the vet and feed store. Probably skip the grocery store; might get hauled away in a paddy wagon, but a drive thru place would be fine. What do you think Starbucks employees would think?

However, I would never, ever give in to the call of nature in a pasture-hehe.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbie, that is not what I wanted to hear! I want a camera on her to alleviate all my DUHH symptoms!

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time to make everyone jealous. We just had 3 foals in 16 minutes!

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 166
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am jealous!!!! Congratulations!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 248
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

way to go jonathan......you're a foaling GOD!

And CJ, fair warning.....a foaling camera doesn't make DUHH better, it makes it WORSE!!! (you've gotta trust me on this one)....instead of the inconvenience of hourly checks, walks to the barn, etc....You'll be staring at your cam CONSTANTLY...CONSTANTLY!!!!! There are times, that I've gotten to the bathroom in a rush, and thought, "oh crap!!! where's the camera???"...had to pull em up, and go find it! LOL There'll not be a moment when you won't have the stinkin thing in your hand (if it's remote) and if it's not, you'll never leave the room it's in. You'll realize your mare does alot of things you didn't know about, and everytime you see something "new" you'll think, "this is it...she's gonna have her baby"...My husband got so sick of me staring at that camera, that I had to go out and purchase the Equipage system to fix my DUHH, (it pages me on a pager everytime the mare lays prone)....needless to say, it didn't fix it, cause now everytime it beeps it wakes he and I, and I have to get up in the middle of the night to stare at the camera...WARNING! Adding technology to the regular foal watch only makes DUHH WORSE!!!! And then you'll develop snide little nicknames from your friends and loved ones...my husband lovingly refers to me as the "James Bond of Foaling" since I now have all these monitoring devices....and then I added milk test strips to the mix....I thought he was going to lose it!hahaha!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana you are so right. Adding electronic conveniences does not alleviate any of the prevalent DUHH symptoms we all suffer from! I think prior to installing the wireless camera I actually got more sleep by setting my alarm for routine barn checks. Now, not only do I lie in bed staring at the monitor - watching every move she makes (or doesn't make sometimes!), I wonder each time she circles if this is gonna be it...or lays down (can't a girl just take a nap?) I immediately sit bolt upright and start shaking hubby saying...THIS IS IT!! WAKE UP! HOW CAN YOU SLEEP NOW??? DON'T YOU WANT TO SEE THIS? ...I'm lucky he hasn't relocated me to the barn...well, that's another story too!

Anyways, if you do manage to fall asleep you wake up at least once an hour to just "glance" at the monitor...thankful that you don't have to don all the "fashionable jammies" on and trek outside in the dark with the flashlight. No, I can't say the camera system/monitor has made it easier..it's really just another sign of my DUHH sickness taking over!

Andrea Cobler
Neonate
Username: Ixii182

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think my mare KNOWS that I put a camera in the barn. Last night she stood at the front of her stall just staring in the direction of the camera!!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea, these mares are psychic, I've decided, for all the stories I've heard! And I know now, alas, there is no cure for DUHH until they foal. It is a curse that can only be undone by one event. But if we miss it, then perhaps it just goes into remission until the next time.

I have to laugh at all the comments I've read about technology and the effect on DUHH; actually making it worse! Diana and Cyndy, really got a laugh out of your posts.

Johnathan, that is so unfair. You said yesterday that your mares were waxing or dripping milk. Then you have three delivered in 16 minutes! Well my mare has been doing that for days! So how come your's foaled? Huh? Huh?

Okay, now that I got that off my chest, CONGRATULATIONS! I'll bet you were a relieved bunch when all went well, considering the short time span you had to respond if there were emergencies! I must say, I woould not want three foaling at the same time!

You guys keep very precise records, don't you? That'll help when you write your collabrative book!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, if you miss it and there are more to come this season, it only gets worse...if you miss it and don't have more to foal, it can cause you to go out and buy another prego mare like Emily was saying! Haha! (it's bad, I tell you)

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 254
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was actually one point last night where I thought to myself, "Ya know what? Screw 'em! Mares have been having babies all by themselves for years...they'll be alright." And I turned the beeper off and went back to sleep. I woke up later in a panic, realizing I was asleep and not rational when I did that.....praying that noone had gone into labor during that 2 1/2 hrs! LOL it's that bad....there is no cure, you don't get over it, it doesn't get better....even when not on foal watch, you spend the rest of the year fretting over who to breed to who, and then ultrasounds, and problems, and before you know it you're on foal watch again....it's a vicious cycle....LOL

Andrea Cobler
Neonate
Username: Ixii182

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About this DUHH condition? It's not terminal, is it? Because I am sure that I have it!!!! A few nights ago I had the wierdest nightmare... Even though my mare has been ultrasounded and checked and re-ultrasounded and re-checked and even God Almighty can't possibly know any more about what's going on inside her, I dreamt that she had twins and she was running around the stall with one still coming out and I had to bulldog it to get it out. Then she wouldn't let them nurse and kept going after them. Of course when I finally did get them to nurse, my mare had teats like a dog!!!!! I haven't had wierd pregnancy dreams like this since I was pregnant! I think I am having sympathetic hormone fluctuations. I sure hope this DUHH is not terminal; then again, maybe it would put me out of my misery!!!!!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Andrea...it's too late. And yes, it is terminal, as it is a love-sickness that if it WERE curable, once our mares foaled we would be right again. BUT NOOOO, we start talking about breeding back in foal heat or waiting till later in the season....or next year's breeding season planning is begun...hmmmm yep, once you catch it it is all OVER BUT THE CRYING!!!!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana I just noticed you and I are neighbors!!! I'm down in Forreston. Did you guys get any of that baseball sized hail last night? Thankfully we only got high wind, rain & pea sized hail.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Cyndy! I guess we WERE neighbors about a month ago...I have moved to Oklahoma city, and need to change my profile! Nice to know ya anyway, an I guess we're still not all that far away considering some on here are in the UK!~!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 233
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are hysterical. See...cameras...escalates the DUHH factor. If you have to manually go out in the cold & the rain & the flood & the lightening...your "check times" become less severe because at about 4:00AM, you say...they ain't havin the silly thing tonight and I'm going to bed! Then you wake up at 6:30AM and think...If I've missed this I'm gonna be sooooo mad! Hahahaha! If I had it accessibly by remote, I'd be a maniac!

Jonathan: Bourbon??? OK...that'll work! Drank a pint of Yukon Jack the first time I had to go out of the gates! Took the edge off...when I finally opened my eyes I believe I was only 10 yards from the finish line...I think they pried my fingers out of the mane, I'm not sure. When I could breath again, I hopped off like I was hot stuff only to find my legs were spaghetti and plopped my little behind right there in the middle of the track while everyone had a great laugh at my expense! Geeezzzz, I could only imagine what I would have been like sober!

Does anyone remember waaaayyyy back when (uh, like 2 weeks ago) when I told Emily that we had braved the ice storm, the snow blizzard, the raging floods and the freezing temperatures...all we needed was an earthquake now and we would get our foals????? Just tell me the next time to shut my big ole mouth...I guess everyone's heard by now that the midwest had 5.2 earthquake today!!!! Its my understanding that you could feel it even from Louisville, KY....Jonathan....maybe THAT'S why you had 3 in 16 minutes!!! Just shook them babies right on outta there!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi did a great synopsis on this week's crazyness! Glad foals are dropping. I know we'll all be done soon with that stage.

Hey, maybe we ought to divide out lives with foals into stages, like we do with their labor.

Stage one: Decide to breed mare. Stage two: Pick Stallion. Stage three: Get her bred, one way or another. Stage four: Wait until you can confirm pregnancy Stage five: Begin the looonnngggg wait. Stage six: Enter into full fledged DUHH. Stage seven: Foal is born. Time to announce the precious bundle. Stage eight: You accept the transformation of the sweet little darling into a little a little shit. Stage nine??

Okay, this is up for revision, addition and subtraction. I'm sure I left out a lot. LOL

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

We just might have to make a trip over to Missouri after reading some of your stories.

We could bring a quart of Moonshine, built a fire, and laugh our butts off listening to you tell these stories in person. I would be willing to bet that there are a few more you haven't shared. Maybe we could bring a bottle of Yukon Jack and get you to share them.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: COME ON OVER! Oh...you bet there are some stories I can tell. Did you know that if you want to jack with the minds of the arrogant male pinheads...ride without a bra...it REALLY messes with their heads! AND...you can sometimes secure a pretty good ride in a good race by using the same method to walk the aisles and talking to trainers! Who says women are the weaker sex???? Hahahaha!

Cj: By the way, whew...to make your hopes lift some...my lil rascals have come back around and after two weeks of being just out-right snots...they have decided that humans give a good back scratch and maybe we're not so bad after all! It's really funny though because Moose was letting me spray his wounds every day with no reaction and then, boom, one day out of the blue, he decides he is scared to death of that spraying noise. How quickly these babies change!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have enjoyed reading all the stories so much. It brings back so many memories. I think we defiantly need to come up with a clothing line. Also on a serious note how about some maternity clothing for the mares and nursing blankets for them as well. That way they can stay pampered after delivery.

I have a funny vet clothing story to share as well. I had an emergency with a horse going thro a fence. Grabbed the trailer, loaded the horse and of to the vet. This all happened at about 9:20PM so assistants were all gone and since I have some training I helped sedate, and stitches up the horse. After it was all said and done my vet looked at me and says "well so much for your evening" I am confused tell he points to my clothing. I had completely forgotten that I had found the horse as I was driving down the driveway to a black tie fundraiser for a local club. I had kicked of the high heals but was still in a strapless black cocktail dress that now looked like something out of a horror movie. My vet still gives me a hard time about that one. Tells me that he just canít understand why I don't dress as stylish any more.

Now who wants to tell me Iím crazy as I am looking at other stallions to breed another mare too soon. After all the trouble with Swan you would think I learned my lesson but I think I will go with my other maiden mare. Maybe I should by stock in Tequila?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra: Hahaha! That's GREAT! An evening dress...well, you have outclassed us all! Horse brain does some funky stuff to your logic and reasoning abilities doesn't it??
I would have loved to have been there and watched you loading an injured horse in a stapless cocktail dress...

Tequila would be a sure bet! Let me know if you need an investment partner! Hahaha!~

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest Bobbi the loading was the easy part. It was the drive home and wondering how I ever (to be blunt) managed to stay in the thing while bending over to help stitch up legs and chest. I now donít own anything without some sort of a strap for fear that it may happen again and I wont be able to stay so wellÖumÖsuported!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra, how funny. The things we will sacrifice for the equine loves of our lives! I have to ask though-did you stay barefoot, or slip into some riding boots? Either way, that must have been quite a sight and I bet the vet never forgets it. It's bound to be in the best vet stories that circulate around their collegues; as, no doubt, are many others we've read on this board. What a crazy life!

I spoke with a young woman today who had a horse and sold it when she got married. She said she thought she'd never own one again. Too much work; too much expense and so on. But she feeds mine carrots and today said she wishes she had one. She misses her's.

What do you want to bet she and her husband will someday soon, be talking about her buying a horse??? Poor guy has no idea what's down the road!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra: Did your vet give you a "discount" for the free show he got???? Hahahaha...forget the vet tech...he wants the girl in the strapless dress back on his emergency calls! When you call now, does he respond to your "emergency" by asking what you're wearing? Hahahahahaha! I have a VISUAL and its pretty dern funny!

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 75
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra

I too have have ended up getting the nice clothes covered in blood, poop, amnionic fluid etc.

Never a black strapless dress though, I'd need a good back-waxing first.

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

No wonder I always seem to type Boobi in when posting for you.

Now that you have opened up the door. You might open your front door one morning and find 1 blurry eye night watchman, his wife and their 2 kids. We would also have to bring the 4 dogs, 3 cats, and 2 ferrets. If I don't sneek out quietly enough I might also have a hairy backed middle-aged night manager.

See ya in about 2 months get the extra bedroom ready!

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I have been awake for about 37.5 hours now.

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well picture this, one woman in a black strapless cocktail dress that is mid thigh, hair and makeup on with a splash of a small diamond pendent and rounding that all out, tall muck boots on that are 2 sizes to big and high heals in the corner and that was me. I had to borrow the vetís boots! I do get the question "what are you wearing" when I call now, when itís an emergency. Fortunately his wife is very understanding and can dish it out well herself. I have noticed lately that when I need something done they are sending out there partner. Same age as me, single, and willing to listen to me talk horse all the time. Hmmm I wonder if they are trying to set something up?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan: Come on...bring it and the hairy-backed friend...but tell Tim he has to wear a black cocktail dress...hehehe.

You CAN't scare me...I have six (yes, that would be correct SIX) kids ranging from the age of 24 down to 11. That doesn't count the "other halves" of those older kids and it doesn't count my granddaughter, who is two and yes, calls me "Grammy Horsey". I don't get to see her often as she lives in Kansas City, but for whatever reason since she was a wee lil turdette, she has associated "grammy" with the horses. They came down this weekend for a visit and she walked in the front door with her pink cowboy hat and her stylin' white cowboy boots on, took one look at me, lit up and said, "Grammy Horsey, lets go see da babies...an I wanna "wide" da horseys, k????" Gotta love that horse gene...never skips a generation in my family!

As for the critters...not scared of them either...they'll make great company for the 2 dogs, the 2 cats, the 11 pigs, the 5 horses and the 13 cows. Extra bedrooms...well, we've got 'em, hey, and by then, we'll have the barn up so you can spend your evenings out there and feel right at home! Hahahahahahaha!

And your wives, they'll probably enjoy some company as I'm sure at this time of the year, they don't get much from you guys!

We'd have great fun! Hahahahaha! I'll bet with enough "beverage" we could get some great video of Johnathan & Tim riding their first pig. Black Betty is our schooling hog...hahahaha! You ain't lived until you've gone 8 seconds on the back of a sow!

And you don't have to sneak in quietly, my goodness, we sleep through earthquakes here! Actually, it would probably take a few days before we'd all notice you were here...chaos is the norm and not the exception in our household!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi~ I have 6 kids too! from 27 to 19 5 sons and the youngest is a daughter, one granddaughter who is 16 months :-) 4 horses, 4 dogs, 2 cats, 2 hens, 1 parrot, 1 tortoise, and 2 rabbits :-) My kids refer to me as Grandma Horse :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 263
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it! "Grammy Horse," "Grandma Horse!" Funny.

Jan, I never got around to thanking you for the post about having your mares go to a foaling barn. Thank-you. The cost does seem very reasonable to have peace of mind and sleep-can't forget sleep! That is what Johnathan and Tim are for, right? TeeHee

Jonathan Smith
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi

Sounds great! One thing though it would be my second sow back ride. I am a country boy. Nothing was better than riding your future breakfast to get them nice and lean.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: That's the interesting fact I've begun to notice about alot of horse people...we don't seem to stop "collecting" critters of all walks of nature. Where you find horses, you abt to find goats, turtles, birds, cats, dogs, and lord knows what else. If we was birthin' all them babies, when did we ever have time to deal with horses??? I can't figure it out. Although, I must say that my kids spent the first years of their lives in a playpen in the barn alley. I had an outstanding gentleman of a stallion when my oldest girls were teeney...thank goodness because I got busy with something in the barn and my darling toddler daughter climbed out of the playpen, opened the stall door, went right in and I found her underneath his two front legs, holding onto his knees and swingin' her feet back and forth yelling, "Weeeeee". That would be the first gray hair I earned on my head! Had a barn full of in-heat mares to breed at the time and his stall door was WIDE OPEN. He was one priceless stallion...wouldn't have moved a muscle to save his life as to hurt a human being.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, my mom lives in Kentucky and I live in Washington so I would always say "your grandma in Kentucky" now both my kids call her Grammie Tucky! I think it's sooooo cute!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy: That is so darling! How funny! And I am just a rotten grammie too...cuz of course, grammie gonna have to buy her baby girl a pony....

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 287
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He sounds like a real Champion Bobbi, in more ways than one.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: He was. His registered name was Friendly Favorite. Suited him well! He was my bud. I had a 16 year-old neighbor who used to show him in 4-H in the open classes. He once took first place in an open halter class because the mare right in front of him went into a full blown heat urination/winking spell...he stood there like a perfect gentleman and never moved a muscle. Judge of the class said that if she had gold medal, he'd have won that as well for his outstanding behavior and self-control.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 304
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what do you think makes a stallion of this calliber? Breeding? Handling? Or both?

Carrie King
Neonate
Username: Kingbuilders

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so shocked. I purchased a 18-year-old mare exactly one year ago today. She was sOOOOOO thin with ribs and tail head showing terribly. within a couple of weeks in my pasture she was nice and plump. When I came to see her Wednesday (three mornings ago) she was unusually affectionate. When I stood back I noticed a FAT nipple! I didn't know what to think! She hadn't been around a stallion since 2 weeks prior to the year ago that I got her. She's been dripping white fluid for 3 days now. She won't stop eating the grass in the pasture. She had a whitish urine spray when the other mare would whinny, and her vulva would contract. I've never experienced a mare pregnancy. I know it's been well over 365 days now. I don't know if something is wrong. She does not have discharge from her rear, but her eyes look miserable, like she is sad.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have a vet out to check her. She's either pregnant and about to deliver or something hormonal could be going on. Do you have any pictures of her? :-)

Carrie King
Neonate

Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 06:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I have pics. Last night I noticed a little swelling in her vulva compared to the other mare.
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/kingbuilders/034.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/kingbuilders/038.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/kingbuilders/039.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/kingbuilders/040.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll87/kingbuilders/043.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 607
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carrie, I'm a bit of a novice, but I'm not so sure she is pregnant-at least not 365 days worth. I'd have vet check. Keep us posted please.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pictures can be deceiving but I agree that she doesn't look like a mare about to deliver. Just for some reference here's some pics of my mare a couple of days before she foaled.

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/004-4.jpg

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee104/tracymsmith/001-4.jpg

I'd have the vet out to check her out :-)

Carrie King
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 07:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pictures. She's been staying close to the barn. Still dripping white milk from her udder. I've phoned two different vets, and explained everything to them. They said it doesn't sound like they need to come out at this point. UGH! I've got a friend coming out this afternoon. Her husband is a vet, but not a horse vet. She's got horses, and works with a horse vet. I'll keep you posted!

susan lewis
Weanling
Username: Luv4mastiffs567

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, June 08, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IN THE FIRST PICTURE OF HER YOU CAN SEE HER MILK VIENS BUT IN THE OTHER PICS SHE DONT LOOK PREGNANT JUST HEALTHY, THEN AGAIN SOME MARES HIDE THERE PREGNANCY VERY WELL FROM WHAT I'VE READ. I'D JUST KEEP AN EYE ON HER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Carrie King
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 13, 2008 - 07:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you everyone for your comments. I had the vet out yesterday. He checked her uterus. Says her uterus is a bit large but he didn't feel anything. He said she must have had a false pregnancy, but should be back to normal in about a week. She hasn't dripped in about 3 days now. He said she must have had the discharge before I saw her last wednesday (6/4). I hadn't been able to see her more than 2 times per week because I live an hour away. Now with summer (I'm a teacher) I'm able to see her more often. I just need to keep an eye out for any additional discharge, and watch her milk bag for infection. My father (63 years old) is sooo disappointed. He was really looking forward to the foal. Although we weren't expecting a foal, when it appeared to be a possibility, he felt like it was meant to be! I'm considering on letting him breed my greystone arabian, progeny of TC Commandant. (my chestnut arabian is the one who went through this) This time, we'll at least be able to make sure she gets what she needs throughout the process. Who knows what will happen. Again, thank you all for your patience with a newbee.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US