SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Color Advice

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Color Advice « Previous Next »

Pamela Witt
Neonate
Username: Jdalwitt

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 08:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We finally have our new little colt. He was born on April 12. I am not sure what color to call him and the silver on his legs is not like I have seen before. What color do you think he will be as he gets older? I started a blog so that everyone can see how he is growing. He literally gets bigger everyday! He is a bit stubborn and is already trying to assert his independence, much to his Momís dismay! You can see his coloring here!

http://twistersjourney.blogspot.com/

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww Twister is soooo cute!!!! I see the silver on his legs, but I've never seen a color like that either...That's pretty cool! How is the imprint training going??

Pamela Witt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,

The imprint training is going well. We were not there at the birth (in spite of many restless nights) we think that we caught him at about 2 hours old. He still does not like any stimulus on his ears but offers a shorter period of resistance (only a few seconds now) and he seems to be ok with stimulus everywhere else. This is our first baby so we are learning along with him. I see now why you do it as soon as you can...he gets stronger by the second! I can't imagine trying to hold him now without having to pull on him too much. He comes right up to us with no fear. He is such an independent little boy though...he is driving Mom crazy. He just walks off by himself and yesterday she made the mistake of teaching him to run. Now she will be lucky to keep up!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamela: Hahaha! I have one of those little feisty fellows too! Give him a week...my daughter found out the hard way that he learned to kick. She has a beautiful blue/purple/black bruise on her upper thigh...I tried to tell her that they are discovering new things and they WILL try them out on humans!

One of my mares has given up on disciplining her foal. She's determined that he's a little pain in her behind and she doesn't even go after him now when he wonders off. I think she's annoyed with me for putting her in the position of raising this pest!

We were there with both foals and had hands-on with them from birth. Just a piece of advice with regards to imprint training with some of the experience I've had (and I'm no expert)...but sometimes they get a little too imprinted and they don't learn "respect" for your space. Keep in mind that they may "play" with you by rearing and striking or backing up to you and kicking. Even though they are little they can still hurt you. Just keep your horse sense about you. Unfortunately, these little guys don't come out with manners and now is the time to start teaching them. (But they are so much fun aren't they?!?!)

Pamela Witt
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I saw him kick at mama today! I am sure that he will have no problem kicking at me as well! I can see where that could be the case. We have a 2 year old that will still occassionally try to play horse games with me....just to see if I am going to be a leader or not!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamela: You are right! I have a 5 year-old stallion that plays that card once in awhile and we have to take him down several notches...which works for awhile and then we escalate back up.

Is this all worth it?!?!?!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don;t know what color he is but he's so cute! Congrats!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 183
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pamela: I would call that chestnut...one of mine is "chestnut" and one is "sorrel"...can't tell a whole lot of difference sometimes between the two from afar until you get right up close. I'm sticking with color=chestnut.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 594
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My yearling gelding who has NEVER tried to bite me tried yesterday. He was getting his daily curry in the paddock.......standing there lovin' it. He was not tied. I was at his tummy...and I was watching him...he came around with his mouth open and I got a good poke in
I am so happy....I doubt he will ever try it again.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 195
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane: Hahaha...they ALL can be stinkers at any time or any age!

My 5 year-old mare bit me last year (Echo, who's my sweetheart!) while I was leading her in from the pasture and she had never done that type of behavior before. Came out of nowhere and shocked the bugger out of me...and it hurt...she knew she was in trouble because the minute it happened she was walking on air trying to get away from me!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US