SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Labor tonight???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Labor tonight??? « Previous Next »

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching my mare on the foaling camera noticed some unusual things. breathing heavy, tight and standing in different place in stall. Tail held high which is not like her. went out to see her, veins are slightly raised and belly and hips very tight. baby was moving alot. she is 310 days and still has caslicks in due to contamination issues. I need some advise....

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is eating now. She had rubbed her butt against the stall wall earlier. She has a bag but not 100% full yet. Could not express any milk when I checked on her, she didn't care for that!! If her caslicks were not in I wouldn't be so worried. Sorry to go on and on....

Jonathan Smith
Weanling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the foal had a foot in a spot that she didn't like.

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Goldie is pacing, drinking quite a bit of water, and still eating her hay.Her vulva is longer and much more relaxed than a couple of hours ago and her tail is still loose and high. Stomach is still very tight and very shallow and quick breathing. This is all new tonight. I hope this is just me being paranoid, right now I hope I am a nervous owner. But I just can't stand the thought of her tearing because of my inexperience to recoginize the signs. She now has fluid that can easily be expressed but I am almost sure that it was clear (thats a good sign that i am wrong). She will proably go for another 30 days and I will lok back on this and laugh. I wish I could sleep like my husband.... haha

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, sorry, but for some reason I just read saw this.

Can't you just go ahead and open the caslicks? Or does it have to be at foaling?

I did see a really good picture online of a mare with conformation that required it. The anus was sort of recessed, so the poop would fall onto the vulva. But I don't think that is the reason all mares have them, is it?

What do people do about this? I can see why you are worried. I mean if she tries to deliver with caslicks still intact-yikes. It would make a good thread Michelle. Bet you'd get some responses.

I don't know what to say about the signs. I'm in the same boat as you and Emily and Gina and maybe Tawnya? Don't think I've seen her post since yesterday. Hope I didn't leave anyone out. Johnathan and Tim, are all your mares delivered yet?

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 144
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, it seems everyone is in the same boat! I'm really glad I found this site, and found you guys!! You all really help me feel better!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, I think it's high time our mares gave us all a break-heh? Yes, this is a great site. I've loved it and learned and laughed a lot!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol, I doubt they'll give us a break. They like to watch us worry

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 166
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked mine. She acts different that ever before, or my imagination is just running away with me, 'cause I want her to foal!

She is moving differently; forward and backward, almost a rocking motion. Holding tail up. Eating like crazy the whole time, although not when I first came out. She was just standing. Oh wouldn't it be nice!

Michelle, you have a camera on? How does that work? Does it cover the whole area? Do you only need one? I'm really thinking about getting one.

Has she foaled yet Michelle? Hopefully, you'll post on 2008 announcements when she does-and here too, I hope! Good luck, all.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like you're getting close, Cj!!!! I think everyone's seeing signs in their mares but me :-(. Lol

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,you did leave me out Cjskip....but then I know everyone is bored to tears with me and Maybelline as we have been on foal watch for 8 and a half months now!

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 593
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane-I certainly am not bored with the Maybeline story.....I am on pins and needles. I can't wait to see what she has.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 177
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I truly absolutely admire ALL of you that are on "Mare Watch". Bless your hearts, I did it for years and now can send mine out to capable and wonderful people like Tim and others on this board that do it full time.

NONE of you are "BAD", I was always a total wreck. I mean when your VET tells YOU to go get some VALIUM (FOR YOURSELF), you know you are obnoxious.

As it is, I have kept from becoming an alcoholic, have my husband still and my vet will still take my phone calls!

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ- Yeah the camera is great. It covers the whole stall. It makes life alot easier. But the worry is the same just a few less trips out to the barn. This is my first foal in a LONG time so I wouldn't want to do foaling again without one.

Goldie is hanging in there. She is large and very slow. She is eating well. Ever since the first post on this thread she has been holding her tail high which has not been the case before. Her bag is much larger but no wax. Vulva isn't very elongated so I didnt think she would go early, but she has had a few contractions and gets very tense. Her anus and vuvla are pushed outward which was a dramatic change in a few hours. So I just don't know......

Her caslicks are scheduled to be removed on Friday afternoon. She tends to get very "runny" with any stressor. so our vet wanted to keep them in as long as possible which has made me very nervous. She is only about 313 days.

I must say having this plce to turn to late at night is wonderful. I haven't posted much at night because you guys are so funny all I can do that late is just laugh!!!

Thanks to everyone and talk to u soon!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry I left you out, and that is hysterical! 8 1/2 months? What am I complaining about?

Could you please explain again, why Maybelline's watch is so long?

Catherine, you do seem to have resolved any DUHH issues quite well. I admire that. Maybe we can start a DUHH annonymous and you can be the key note speaker?

All kidding aside, I'm doing this because I don't want to miss the moment and of course, I'd never forgive myself IF I could have been there and wasn't and there was a bad outcome that MIGHT have been preventable IF I was there. Lots of IFs. As it is, today I have to go out and she'll probably foal then !

And Emily, hang on. It's coming, you know it is. Would be cool if all our mares foaled the same night! Like tonight even. Tonight would be good.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 213
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ....it is a blinking nightmare!

We live in Yorkshire in England. Maybelline came from France last August, she was rescued from the butcher in Italy who was already sharpening his knife as she was so fat and we were told "foaling will be soon". As you know the next 8 and a half months she has kept us guessing.
This was her on October 1st...now wouldn't you forgive me for thinking then she was ready to pop her foal out?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/TOctober1st006.jpg[/IMG]

Well we watched and waited and prodded but no foal arrived. Christmas did though and went again. Here she is in January

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/xJan19th014.jpg[/IMG]

And the months rolled on, the snowdrops came and went then one evening she was down and we thought this is it. But I was scared as she had no udder so I called my vet, he did an internal. At least one foal was there, live and wiggling and not ready to be born as that was almost 6 weeks ago!
This is the most recent photo....I've given up taking them now as nothing ever changes.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v401/dizzykizzy19/ZJApr4th019.jpg[/IMG]

She started a bag 4 weeks ago but the last 2 weeks it has been like a cow's udder ( I joke not!) but no wax and no milk only clear fluid.
She has been in at night since her bag got huge, fortunately we have CCTV in the stable but it isn't good for sleep watching the same "movie" every night. Movie is really just a word which doesn't describe Maybelline....moving she does very little of. Scoffs her hay, sleeps hanging over the door all night, scoffs her breakfast then goes back out to scoff grass like she's starved.

OK? You asked for it! That is why we have been on foal watch for 8 and a half months!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 205
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane: OMG! I am rolling on the floor laughing. I would have been insane by now! I would have guessed November as well! What a blimpola she is! You ought to get one really big baby out of that one!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 148
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Jane!!! You're almost there!!! :-). I'm gonna try and get some new pics of Berra on here, and see if you guys think she's getting close!!! Let's hope we have some foals tonight, everyone!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I guess I am reading this for the first time. Poor Maybelline and poor you! I've never seen anything like it! WOW. You've out DUHH'd us all! I know she has foaled now and so glad. Poor dear. What could have been in the stew pot had that lovely foal. Wonderful!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US