SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Who is seeing "the signs" that there mare is about to foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Who is seeing "the signs" that there mare is about to foal? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thought I'd start a new thread so when people see the evidence that their mare might foal soon, they can put it here if they want.

As a quick recap: my mare had yellowish fluid from her udder a few days ago. Yesterday it was white. Her udder is full and firm.

Her tail head is prominent with sinking in at the croup. Her belly has dropped way low. Her flanks have a little bit of a sunken in appearance. He vulva is deep pink, not pale, but I first checked that two or three days ago, so have no comparison. Her vulva is loose and a little more elongated than it was.

Night before last she kept raising her tail and shifting her weight from right to left hindleg. Sometimes she'd raise her whole rear up a bit, as though she were standing on her toes. She also leaned her butt against the fence a lot and pooped a lot.

She bit her side at least once. She has been more hungry than usual for the past three or four days.

I can't think of anything else. No discharge or protrusion of anything from the vagina; no sweating; no serious pushing, but it seemed she was strainng some to me. I did not see any evidence of baby parts visible anywhere.

Last night I checked every two hours. Nothing at all, that I saw.

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 539
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea!!!

For the last few days lots of lying down and sleeping, tail raising, butt rubbing, one quick buck, and looking at her tummy.
Yesterday I noticed her udder was getting fuller and now dropping down with teats pointing down and filling out. Her body felt warm to the touch and she was sweating a little at one point. No milk at all. Rump very jello like.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yahoo Emily! Maybe both of us will be horse mama's soon?

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 204
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 05:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybelline has had a very full hard udder for over a week now but fluid which is hard to express, is still clear.
She is coming in on a night and we are watching on CCTV, for the first hour or more she is peeing and straining, kicking her belly, pawing at the floor and in the straw then she settles down to spend the night munching while we get very little sleep!
Her belly is mahoosive but has been for nmonths, hard to say if it has dropped. Her vulva was really long a week ago but is tighter again, her bum has been like jello for over 5 weeks (as commented by my vet when he checked her then)
Sigh.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane...it's got to be soon!

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock
Username: Horserescuer42

Post Number: 171
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi all.. well maiden, one of the rescued mares is letting me brush her and get very close. she is so sweet. Her utter is filled up and has wax not just on it but all over the udder in dots. i expressed some milk and its whitish clear. she was biting at her belly and let me stand there for 30 min with my hand on her belly. i talked to baby and he kicked and moved alot. I cant wait!! I'm moving here up here to the stall i made tonight. its very cold, rainy and has been hailing off and on so have to get her up here. the other rescues are looking alot better!! will post photo of maiden later tonight.

Jonathan Smith
Weanling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One mare the last 3 nights showning them all. Joe "The Goober" even called out the managers last night at 4am still no foal, just more gray hairs for foalwatch. Tim doesn't have enough hair to tell, so he is not included.

Signs- dripping milk, throwing head, pawing, loose stool(Tim noticed it first), heated up, veined out, walking, weaving(frontend and then backend), moonwalking, holding tail out....etc. That's all she is doing at the moment. She had a few more last night, but I think she is getting tired.

Oh, just added biting the bars!

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 11, 2008)

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 104
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right before they foal, does milk or wax always come out from the udder, or does it just depend on the horse? My mare's udder has really developed over the past few days, and her belly has dropped quite a bit, so I'm just wondering if she could be getting close! I hope so! I've been sleeping out in the barn, but I just got really sick so I can't sleep out there tonight. It's also supposed to snow tonight, so I really want to keep a close eye on her.

(Message edited by cowgrl88 on April 11, 2008)

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily

It's different from mare to mare. If they wax up it is usually a few days or less. Usually, not always there is always exceptions. Some will not wax up at all. One thing to watch for is if her bag stays the same from morning to night. This is most useful if the spend the night in a stall or small pen at night and goes out to graze during the day. They tend to hold their bag if they are getting close

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnathan, I guess Tim has to hang out with the rest of us foal watchers, huh?? That's okay Tim, we luv ya. You can join us anytime.

Hey, I was wondering, how many of your mares foal in the daytime? I read that most foal between 11PM and 3AM.

Sounds like we should have at least five deliver soon!!

I'm camping out myself tonight. I'm sleeping (I use the term lightly) in the bed of a pick-up truck. Forgot the beer though! Darn. Oh well, Apricot brandy will do just fine-or screwdriver; I could have a screwdriver. Maybe I'll share with Jewel. Might help her foaling go a little easier.

Sorry you are sick, Emily. Gotta take care of ourselves though. Maybe she will decide to wait until you are better. I'll send, "no snow tonight," wishes your way! I can understand your worry though.

Tawnya, I hope all goes well with the rescue maiden. How long have you had her?

Jane, I understand your frustration. Seems if her bum has been like jello that long, it can't be much longer? My vet said mine is still a little tight. She seems pretty loose to me though.

Tried to find a new battery for my old cam recorder-no luck. So spent more money than I oughta and bought a new one. Maybe I can figure out how to e-mail the video of my mare foaling, to this site?? I'll do my best.

Oaky, we're all in for a long night, huh?

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

We have 4 out of 99 that has been during daylight hours. It has been pretty even between before and after midnight. The only trend is that it tends to be dark outside year in and year out. Some will shut down at first light and foal later in the day just after dark. I guess it is just one of their natural instincts. We just foaled the one that Joe called out for this morning about an hour after dark. See above post.

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi cjskip, thank you. I just got these 6 sunday. they are all thin and maiden got here just in time! they look alot better just in 5 days. Had to get her a stall up here by the house fast. She is out here neighing alot, pacing, drinking alot of water and very hungry. holding her tail up(i wrapped it), runny stool. i dont think it will be tonight as she does seem calm overall. i feel better tho as shes not out in pasture. its cold here and rainy. Im excited tho as this is my first! Chloe was supposed to foal in jan and never did so im guessing a false pregnancy. the stud was a gruella and she is a foundation horse.(im told).
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/horserescuer42/

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Yearling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 99
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'm right there with everyone. Tosha has been dripping some milk today, holding her tail out most of the day, had one cow pie poo that was there this morning, all other poops were normal, a lot of tail swishing. Waiting, waiting, waiting

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya, thanks for the pics. Poor things. How coulc anyone do that to them?. Glad they are all in your care. Good luck with the momma. Will be interesting to see what color the baby is, huh? Are you going to breed Chloe again? My mare is foundation stock too.

Johnathan that is a very high percentage to be born at night, but not between 11pm and 3am. I have read that they can stop it if disturbed, but for how long ?I don't have a clue!

Lorna, welcome to our baby watching club! Hope that at least one of us has some good news in the morning!

Mine is doing a little tail raising, but quiet overall. I'm going to turn my laptop off so there is less light.

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm waiting and watching the last 2 mares to foal here. Paint recip mare is due on the 27th and last night she was breathing hard,stretching, sweating, swishing tail alot and up and down all night. Tonight she's just standing and eating! The other mare (my mare) due on the 13th was doing the same exact thing as the paint mare! Tonight she is standing in a diffent spot in her stall. Tested milk last night and both only changed 1 square, both had almost white milk.

http://www.foalcam.com/index.php?L=cam.cam&id=SPECIAL

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 205
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 05:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another loooooong night with maybelline and no foal.
Her bag has been constant for over a week, definitely not going down through the day BUT still no blinking foal.
Someone shoot me if I ever say I'm going to rescue another pregnant horse!

Good foaling vibes to all.

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh jane..seems like its been forever huh? i got 3 resuce pregnant horses here due one after another. I've dediced on advice from another rescue to pursue becoming a 501. They have grants and feed companies help if you are. Not that they are going without now, but sure would help.
Cjskip, chloe was accidentally bred to a 9 month old, or so we thought, where she was board before i moved here. she got bigger and bigger and was confirmed pregnant but jan came and went and nothing. she then thinned out. I think ill break her instead as she was the first horse i bought a few years back so shes not a rescue. none of my horses are really broke, except johnny, and he was starved when i got him and has a sway back now so i dont ride him. Bubba is too but hes lame. Guess i should get some test strips today. I wormed the horses when they got here sunday and i noticed her poo is filled with worms. they arent moving. should i worm her again this close?

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawyna,
i would worm them again but i would use the panacur power pak. its the 5 day wormer. 1 tube per day for 5 days.

(Message edited by sptxthrill on April 12, 2008)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all. No foal here either. I laid in a pick=up by her stall. I think I might have more luck if I had a camera on her. She'd feel alone and maybe foal then. I could come out just in time for the drama that way, but since I don't...

She didn't move around much, but swished her tail and held it up and kind of strained-just like the other night, but less restless. This morning she is walking real slow though. Not eating her grain, but it is a new kind. I did not check her bag. Looks pretty full, but might be a little smaller??? I'm going to get some real sleep in a real bed-just watch, she'll be one of those rare ones that foal in the day time!

Tawnya, that's great that you rescued so many horses. Sounds like you and Jane are in the same boat! Hope all goes well. As for worming, my vet just told me to use the paste, Ivermectin (sp?). She hasn't pooped out any. But for those questions there are a lot more experienced people on the site than me, to advise you.

Okay everyone, guess night duty is over for today. I wonder if anyone else will join us?

Paul, glad you joined the foal watch club!

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 541
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, all!!! New sign. Finally getting a little milk from her. It is a little cloudy. Also her calcium tested low but her pH is 6.2-6.4!!!!!! Almost there!!!!!!!!!!!

Jane,
Hang on!! I know you can do it. I admire your perseverance!!! One day she will have it and the long wait will be forgotten. Well maybe not forgotten but it won't seem so bad anymore!! :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today, she hardly walked. Moving very slow. Seems very uncomfortable. Raising tail and hindquarters side to side. Teats are engorged. I couldn't get any liquid out at all. I think she's very close-probably tonight?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 214
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cjskip, the "hardly walked" thing strikes home. I have a mare who'll stand in the same corner for an entire day without moving before foaling....it's how I know it's time...maybe you're close.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana. How long before your mare foaled after you noticed her standing in one place?

I also noticed she yawned about six times in a row. I think I hd heard that was a sign.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I hope one of you was lucky last night cos it wasn't us!
Maybelline came in last night and yawned for about an hour then slept with her head over the door for the rest of the night.
I have been waiting so long for this foal that I think I am truly going out of my mind now.

Fingers crossed Emily if her milk is changing.
Good luck Tawnya, hopefully nurturing your rescues will make up for the sadness with Chloe.

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate
Username: Rdestiny

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 06:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I feel for you. The waiting seems endless. But when It comes you will have the adrenalin kick in...Mine is being very patient as well, does not seem to bother her

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks jane.. if i have whitish milk already, shouldnt it be anyday? shes acting pretty calm but shes had babies before no problems. im glad even tho they are rescues i have a little info on them. it helps. i woke up this morning and couldnt find my glasses and i am blind without them. couldnt see out there to see if any baby. had to run out in pjs.. finally found them..unfortunately, the new puppy got up on nightstand and got them. they are chewed up some. they will have to do till i can get into the dr.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya, sorry about your glasses! I need mine for reading mostly, but feel lost without them.

My mare might have "waxed up." I can see a little blob of something at the end of her teat. Didn't want to mess with it. She is still walking soooooo slowly. Not eating a lot. Poop looks normal. Body temp. seemed up last night, but I haven't taken it.

Guess I'll just keep on watching.

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Nursing Foal
Username: Mustangjumper

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Room for one more sleep deprived owner here! LOL
Her bag and teats are full. No waxing or leaking though! Her rump is like jello on either side of her tail bone, and her tail is loose! While braiding it yesterday I noticed that she wasn't trying to pull it out of my hand so I started moving it around and was able to pick it straight up! She polished off her dinner last night like the poor starving pony she's been trying to convince everyone she is! But didn't hardly touch her hay last night! Wiped out her lick-it stall treat though. Poo was very cow like yesterday, but back to normal this morning.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 04:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, I hope both our mares foal before tomorrow morning. How does anyone do this for more than one mare? I'm telling you, if I ever have two mares bred, it'll be as close together as I can get it!

Your mare sounds like she is getting there, from everything I've read on this board. I'm going to try lifting the tail on mine and see how lose it is. I haven't tried the lifting thing you talked about.

Have you foaled before, or is it your first? Mine is a first for me, but not for my mare.

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 04:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare's 3rd my first! Best of luck with your mare tonight!

(Message edited by mustangjumper on April 13, 2008)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You too Michelle, and everyone else as well. I have a feeling this is the night, but who knows? I'mgetting so tired, I'm afraid I'll sleep right through it! I'm sleeping on straw bales tonight next to her corral. This horse love sickness is quite a disease, to cause me to lose sleep for five nights in a row!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Cjskip! I know how you feel!

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 184
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all.. no news here. her poo is back to firm. i cant tell on her if her behind is soft as her backbone is showing alot and her backside is different because of lack of food. shes still eating alot. not drinking as much. that baby sure kicks hard and alot! i put my hand on the belly and boy it kicks it off. i tried the nail thing and it went in circles on one side and when i tried standing on other side it went back and forth.. hmm
the nail was crooked tho. one i found out in barn. i think i still have a few days now.
question: her udder is still full but real hard. couldnt express anything as it seemed like solid milk or something in it. is this normal?

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any baby's last night? None here!

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cjskip, michelle...did you get a baby???? Still no foal here dripping milk still..good ting they have liters of colostrum, mom is uncomfortable, scratching with hind hooves against wall stretching neck, yyawning, vulva is back to pink not deep pink anymore, paws on and off not much, mostly standing in two spots. It got down to 22 degrees here last night. It is supposed to be that cold again tonight. another sleepless cold night..I don't know how many more I can do...but we all say that and suck it up for our precious mares, and then do it again the following year...good thing we have each other to vent to huh?
Tawnya, what do her teats look like are they full or still pinched?

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 02:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi. her teats are pinched. her bag is pretty full, not all the way, but still real hard and seems to hurt her. not like it was the other day at all. i could express milk then no problem. its like it turned hard in there. baby moving alot! her belly rumbling alot. did nail test and said a colt.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Babies yet??? Awwww...hang in there guys!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, no baby yet. I am going to post a new thread on this, just to open it up, because I am concerned about her now. She has shown less "signs" than before. The vulva seems to have shortened. Her bag is hard, as though she is engorged. She started eating a lot again last night and this morning.

Main thing is, she doesn't want to walk much at all. Moves very slowly. She stands in one spot, pretty much all day. I felt sure she would go last night. She was so uncomfortable and lots of tail raising again. Her not wanting to walk started the day after the vet vaccinated her. I'm glad she's eating, but I wonder if it is pregnancy/foaling related or not? Any experience with this?

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cj... my mares bag is very hard.. more like solid hard. im thinking mastitis from what ive read. im going to try what i read to rub with castor oil

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No foal here, either :-(.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a foal either. What I DO have is an indecisive mare! She's been very uncomfortable for the last 24 hrs or so, pawing and pacing...she didn't eat dinner tonight, and doesn't lay down to rest as she normally has. So i look under the tail and she is completely long and loose in the vulva....tail sticks up, but not much of an udder. I did the milk test strip, and she only got 2 of 4 pads...so I put the equipage monitor on her and am going to bed! Goodnight all, and happy foal watching!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, you might be the smartest of the bunch here! LOL

Tawnya, I think if she has mastitis, her bag would feel very hot to the touch. Mine has a big bag and it has been very hard the past two or three days, but today it even filled in front of the teats! It is soft in that part. She has a lot of milk, that's for sure. Just wish she'd decide to give birth.

I can't sleep out tonight, as it is too windy and cold. I was very cold last night and tonight is worse. I may sleep in the car, but I don't know; she isn't showing anything new that makes me think she'll foal tonight, but darn it, if I don't sit out there, I know she'll have that baby and I want to be there, darn it!!!!! After all I do for her you'd think she could do this one little thing for me. HaHaHaHaHa......Ha!

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 209
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No foal for Maybelline

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Jane!! I feel your pain!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 03:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But the night is not over Jane, right?

Do mares often show lots of symptoms and then their behavior goes back to normal? How long can they do this????????? Augggggghhhh!!!

Hopefully one of us will have good news to share soon.

Gina Rivezzi
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cj skip mine did it for 13 days....We have a beeautiful bay colt. pics under new foals

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 210
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'tis in the UK Cjskip....she's out in the field grazing happily without a care in the world.....and I am propping my eyes open again!

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 211
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Emily......

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No baby here! Last night everytime I checked she was standing in a different corner of the stall. I never saw her laying down, but this morning she had her bedding all along her neck and face. Her stall was a mess this morning (very unlike her). Rump was even more soft last night at feeding! She has never let me near her udder in the time that I have owned her so I can't check the milk.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to make you expectant mothers feel better...my mares had hard bags also. I wouldn't sweat that too much. My mares also NEVER lost their appetites. Some mares do, some mares don't. And...Oh My...would you want to walk alot? Hahaha...I think not! When that baby comes out, just take a good visual and ask yourself..."How did that creature fit in there?" That will answer your questions about restlessness, not wanting to walk much, constant shifting of weight, etc. It truly is amazing these babies can fit inside their moms!

Happy foaling vibes for all of you...they are coming...I promise. And sleep will be a wonderful thing! (Of course, you won't sleep for that first week after foaling because you will want to make sure baby is ok...hehe!) I feel your pain!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 09:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goodluck tonight, everyone!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, thanks for that thought! :-)

Same here, Emily and everyone who is not sleeping tonight!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say, my mare is yawning again. Stayed near her stall/ corral today. Eating okay. Biting at her sides, but lower than I've seen her do before. She is so pendulous! i don;t know how the baby could drop much more! Between that and the croup relaxing, she looks almost swayback all of a sudden. Her sides are not as prominant from the front view as they were, but still very visible. She is a bit pudgy though. Her bag stays full, even in front of the teats.

But, her vulva has not elongated. I didn't check color tonight. Can it change within a matter of hours? In other words, could she have it tonight even if the vulva seemed its normal shape at 7:00 tonight?

She's probably having it right now, since I checked a half hour ago! LOL. Anyway, was wondering what you folks think about it?

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 140
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not experienced in this at all so I can't help you unfortunately, Cjskip! For your sake, I hope it's tonight!!

amanda chapman
Neonate
Username: Champ

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2 mares one due on 14th april{had 1 foal before} and one on the 22nd of april {maiden}.
1st mare has shown signs for the last 2 weeks, constantly rubs tail, bites sides, stands in different corners of the stable, has a quick burn round in a circle, last 2 days she has been up and down alot, very paranoid at slightest noise,still eating all food, very low in her belly but still quite wide also, last night i didnt think her vulva could relax anymore but it was twice the size almost bulging out and inside was very purple, which it hasnt been before, she has no wax and wont let me test milk, but udder is full but not hard, so dont know when she will foal !!
2nd mare paws the floor alot, weaves and box walks likes to have a good couple of hours slepp laid flat evey day, bits sides, kicks belly, vulva has been relaxed for ages about 2 weeks, she has a full bag and nipples and has waxed slightly on and off for last week.
I am really needing a good nights sleep now, but everyone on here seems to be in the same boat !
lets hope one of them goes soon.

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She looked so misserable last night! Lots of stall pacing, tail swishing, and little hay eating. Her vulva is really enlongated, and we have a V is the abdomon. So hopefully not many more cold nights, and I can come home and get a good night sleep in a WARM bed.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, you have 2 to watch! Now I do feel for you! Yes, a good night's sleep would be great. I keep meeting people at feed stores and the like that have been doing the same thing. Guess it's that time of year!

Michelle, I know what you mean. They make us feel miserable for them, huh? But then...ALL THEY HAVE TO DO IS HAVE THAT FOAL! HaHa. But it sounds to me like she is close. But what do I know? Obviously, not much! LOL!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJSKIP, when is your mares actual "due date"? Do you have pics on here of vulva/udder/belly?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 11:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone,
Thought I would join the April foal watch group! My mare is due ...Well my Vet said the 17th of April. When I used the foal calculator it said the 23rd but even with that information she will probably still have it on a different day! I have been watching her for the last 2 weeks and nothing. last week 1/2 she dropped got that V shape belly, yet NO MILK NO BAGS! These past few days I couldn't think she coulf get bigger yet she is dropping more! TONITE YIPPEE I saw her FINALLY starting to bag up no wax yet! But its the start I really cut it close with my Cams I set everything up on Monday :-) Its fun to watch SPRING move around... This could get addictive, do you think we might need intervention>>>>

OK everyone Who will be the first???

}

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie, glad you're foalwatching with everyone. Do you have pics of your mare?
OF COURSE WE NEED INTERVENTION....we wouldnt' be posting on here about horse vulvas and what not at midnight if we didn't!!LOL

Tawnya Reber
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no news here.. i think she is still gonna go a bit.. i released her out into the upper pasture here so i can keep an eye. thought it would help her hard bag, but its still hard. i lost her earlier.. walked whole pasture looking for her and thought, how can i not find a very pregnant horse? well, funny, she was standing in pasture on edge of fenceline against neighbors white shed. she blended in. haha
im at day 331 now, this i think they said would be her 3rd. not sure but she isnt maiden.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, Jewel's due date is the 26th of April. Originally, I thought she was not due until May 26th., so about ten days ago, when I found out, I kind of panicked. But got over that as soon as I got a few more things together.

My imagination and lack of experience may have run away with me. But honestly, I don;t know how she can go much longer. She has a nice big, quarter horse butt, but from the rear now, looks more like a standard bred or something. When I am close to her behind, I cannot see her sides at all. The flanks are hollow. There is no pronounced V by her tail head, but it is all soft there and has been for several days. And she is pendulous on the belly. The foal dropped again about three days ago.

She has maintained her bag for about five days now. She waxed over a few days ago. Don't know the status now. She had leaked milk down her legs before waxing.

She has often held up tail and shifted side to side-looks uncomfortable. Eating a lot. Hangs out in one area of the pasture when she is out. Not walking around much, although she can.

Her vulva is not really elongated, although it looks a little bit more so tonight than the last night or two. It is easy to open and there is some purple, med. pink and light pink.

No, I don;t have pictures. Wish I did. I have a digital cam. If she doesn't go tonight, I'll try to get pics up tomorrow. How are things progressing for your mare?

I have to be very selfish and say I hope my mare is the first to foal! HaHa. Just kidding. I feel for us all and I'm sure there are others lurking out there. Come on, you know who you are. All lurkers are welcome, you know!

Someone is keeping track of the foalings. I have to go to the search to find it, but it is under foal watch for April 2008, I think.

Well, I'm already tired. Perpetually tired now, but once again we all have to grit out teeth and get through it. I wish I'd bought a monitering camera!!!

Giddy Up Horse Rescue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all, this is tawnya. my new name here is giddy up horse rescue.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 233
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, my mare is NEVER going to foal, and I have no idea why I watch her so much! LOL she looks ready, hips have fallen away, no muscle in tail whatsoever, long and loose vulva, has been passing on dinner for 2 nights now, stands head to the ground in the same spot all day and night for 2 days now, milk test strips still read only 2 of 4 pads, and still I believe my stallion has a better chance at foaling then her. I am unsure of her due date, as I have 2 breed dates on her, and am unsure if she is late for one or early for the other.... I am tired to say the least. My other mare was pasture bred from May 10th of last year to July 7th when I bought her....she's huger than the rest, got a big full udder, and close too....but doesn't "act" the part as far as sitting on the stall wall, pacing, pawing, restlessness. She doesn't do any of that, but is so huge she can hardly fit thru the stall door. So I have no clue who's doing what when, I just watch and go with the flow. I have a guy who's coming to give me a quote on closed circuit for my barn tomorrow (if it's not raining again) and If I get that put in before your mare foals, I'll send you my pan tilt camera. Although it sounds to me like it might be too late in the game for that....do you have electricity at your pen/stall? And is it covered to keep rain out?
Charlene is the one who keeps up with all the mares and foals....and there is a page on here called Birth Announcements only.

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still no baby! I do believe that she'll make me sleep out there till christmas! LOL Well no new news today, she seemed a little more confortable last night, but still didn't eat much hay. She's as big as a house! I hope she gives up that foal before she explodes! Best of luck to everyone!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, I am in the same boat as you....the waiting game is brutal!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DIANA,
Do you think we might need to go to meetings to kick the habit??? WOW! ADDICTIVE horse meetings???? Yes I have pictures I just took these on Monday the 14th, My mare is 22 years young! She took on the first cover, and has had no huge pregnancy problems...:-)

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=SPRING04 1208.jpg
http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=041208SP RINGSUDDERS.jpg

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 214
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FULL MOON is coming!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Bobbi...and I'm crossing my fingers!!!! She still hasn't bagged up yet but much to her total disgust (oh yes, she let me know it) I brought her in from the pasture to begin her foalwatch confinement!!!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 242
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Laurie, she looks great for 22!
Bobbi, I'm all over it....I"m gonna head down to the barn right now, and inform the girls about the full moon coming up...and tell them it's only proper that they foal during it. (it wouldn't shock me....when I used to work as a paramedic, women foaled more often under a full moon than ever)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: Hahaha...foalwatch confinement = prison time for equines!

Diana: Go buy a Farmer's Almanac..turn to the full moon page..rip it out and plaster it on her forehead! (Ohhh...I believe you...I take care of the mentally insane for a living...I HATE full moons! Hahahaha!)

TR, foal due 05/14/08
Weanling
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is at day 314. I noticed her bite at her side yesterday. I thought she was just scratching, but when I went out to have a look at her she had marks all over her sides that she obviously had been bitting at it(still has a bit of a winter coat so it makes it easy to notice). I also saw her lift her leg and kick at her belly twice. I am guessing that baby was in a bad position as she seemed normal last night and again today. Just wondering when everyone has started to notice the bitting and the kicking is it right before foaling or have you had them do this a couple weeks from foaling?

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've also have t-storms coming in this weekend plus the full moon. So maybe we'll get a baby this weekend!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TR: And so the excitement begins! Sorry...my mares did this for several weeks prior to foaling. (I'm sure everyone else here can experience this as well.) I'm going to just guess and say baby was uncomfortable and mom is crabby. But, it may be a good sign that baby is flipping around in there getting ready to get in position!

Michelle: When is it supposed to clear up? That's the day I would watch her closely...the time after the storm. That's when I got my 2...within 12 hours after the storm passed. (Crossing my fingers for you!)

TR, foal due 05/14/08
Weanling
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you I was a little worried there for a bit yesterday. I figured that the foal must have been doing something, but everything I have read says that is what they do right before they foal, so I was hoping that someone had seen this couple weeks before foaling. A little relief as 314 is a little early to me (even though I know they can be born healthy)

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby,
I'm going to do the full moon dance for all of ya'll. Hoping this works for my Mare also!

Thanks Diana, I've been blessed my Vet told me whatever I'm doing for this mare don't stop! She is in excellent health!

MICHELLE, TR-May the rain gods help us and especially the MOON god!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far at 5:00 am no change, I'm at work so in between my workload I email everyone and try to look in at my mare on the cam, I really need to get in touch with that company that I bought my stuff from, its in CANADA, I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WAS A SMART IDEA!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OPPS, Maybe I better clarify not that CANADA is bad just long distance trying to get in contact over the phone!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, wasn't sure if you were addressing me about the camera, but your offer is so thoughtful!! I'm actualy going out today to buy one. My corral/stall is outside, so I realized I need a weather proof one. I saw something at radio shack that might work. I need to take a closer look.

I hope the system you want works out. That sounds great!

My Jewel is walking better today. No new "signs," though, but I'm getting better at reading her. I slept more last night, but still up at least every two and a half hours to check. Poor dear. I'm going to try to get pics done today and try to post them.

No new babies? I haven't checked the announcements yet. Thanks Diana for the info. on the board for 2008 foals. I did go back and check and saw Charlene is keeping track. That's a long list she has up there!

Giddy Up Horse Rescue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all.. WE HAD A COLT!! yay.. beautiful lil healthy guy.. i missed it but got out there about an hour after and he was standing up by her side. hes healthy, eating and oh so cute!! we think going to be the gruella. mom is doing good after being cleaned up. here are photos. oh, there were no signs this morning. she was eating and nothing else. so surprise!!
http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee162/horserescuer42/

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 215
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww, Tawnya, he is fabulous! Fantastic news, so pleased for you.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya: Nice baby! Nice dorsal stripe!!! Cute, cute, cute! Congratulations!

I'm feeling foaling vibes coming down the pike for lots of people this weekend!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya~I am so happy for you that she foaled okay since you have not had her very long to try and repair the neglect. She is one lucky mare to have landed in your life. The little guy has no idea what he excaped...May he grow healthy and strong..looks real good. Very cute and nice size too! Congrats!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya~I am so happy for you that she foaled okay since you have not had her very long to try and repair the neglect. She is one lucky mare to have landed in your life. The little guy has no idea what he ecscaped...May he grow healthy and strong..looks real good. Very cute and nice size too! Congrats!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Adorable colt!!! Mare and foal look like sweethearts!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Tawyna! You finally have a foal :-)

Giddy Up Horse Rescue
Breeding Stock

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i put more photos on there. thank you all!! he is a blessing that he is healthy and everything. i made the mistake of letting her back in pasture until signs and there werent any. shes a good mom. lets me love on him tho. he has a nice stripe that you can really see in the new photos. he did his first poo and all is well! still picking names!!thank you jan!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TAWYNA,
Congrats!!!!!!! On having such a healthy colt! He found a great human mom....

LB

Giddy Up Horse Rescue
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahh thank you very much laurie

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya, so happy for you. What a handsome little guy! Glad everything went well for mare and baby (and you)! Congrats. Keep us updated on others you find in the "motherly way," okay?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope you are right Bobbi!! I think so too. How could there not be more foals this weekend after all this fuss???

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try and post pics. /Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA71102.JPG/Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA71100.J PG/Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA71101.JPG/Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA71092 .JPG/Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA71091.JPG/Users/cheryljohnson/Desktop/STA710 90.JPG

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying again!

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll241/Feministeye/

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 76
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ- how far alog is she? I could probably go find it somewhere but thought I would ask anyway. She looks good, pretty girl. Hope it will be soon for you.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 200
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, she's "due," the 26th. What do you think? Her vulva is short, but the rest of her looks ready to me. She's not a maiden. And thanks for the complement too. I think she's a, "pretty girl," also.

Tawnya, Giddyup-horserescue
Breeding Stock

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cj.. thanks! I think she will go the 20th at 3 am.. just a guess.. her udder looks ready!
we all look for signs for all these months then when its time, it just happens. maiden didnt show any signs before. she just had it. she is so tired and laying down but baby is up and about. poor girl. he seems like a timid little guy, so sweet and lets me love all over him. in a week ill probably regret saying timid..haha

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 205
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 02:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tawnya. I hope it's soon!

As for your little guy; yeah, he'll probably be biting and kicking and acting like a little "Turd," as Bobbie likes to call them. LOL. Enjoy him while he's still sweet and cuddly!

amanda chapman
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well last night sindy my mare who was due on the 14th was waxed up and still is this morning, her teats have gone like ice cream cones ! dont think i have much longer to wait. she also kept nuzzling into the straw then turning her lip up ? she did this most of the night.

Jane Olney
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 597
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda-Can't wait for pictures and the whole story!!!! I will be checking back multiple times....

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tawnya - Congrats on your new colt. He's a cutie! Glad to hear that mamma and baby are doing well.

Still no baby here! She looks so miserable at night. I kind of feel bad for her, but I keep remindering her that if she would just have the baby she wouldn't be so miserable! You'll see in the pictures she has quite an edema going along her belly. T-Storms are out of the forcast so I guess I'm relying on the moon gods!

Here's some pictures from this morning!
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Ayasha/04-18-08_0705.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Ayasha/04-18-08_0706.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Ayasha/04-18-08_0716.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry there not the greatest I took them with my phone.

Breeding Stock

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all, baby and mom are doing good this morning. he is a little turd! but only when im not around, i look out the window and see him out there kicking and running around the stall. Poor mom was so tired last night, she was laying down and bobbing her head and he was running around. he took a few bites of her hay this morning and didnt quite know what to think of it. one of her nipples are still hard and sore im guessing as everytime he tries to nurse on that side, she pushes him away. i hope it gets better. i have decided on naming him "NIKE." just fits him. I found out some about mare and sire. her name is sonny steel maiden and he had wimpy and skipper w on his papers. thats all i know. but then again, who cares? hes healthy!
looking out my window and grass is soooo green today after all that rain.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great Cute name Tawnya. Hope your new momma gains her strength back soon. Sounds like she'll need it with that little monkey!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted some pics yesterday. Would love to know opinions about her progress. What do you think? Is she foaling soon, or am I losing sleep over nothing?

Of course, I know these are only opinions. I won't hold anyone to them!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj, she doesn't look quite there to me...vulva is not long and her udder looks good, but teats maybe not so ready. Didn't you say she'd been dripping milk? Doesn't look quite ready for that to me. Just my opinion

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 213
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right. Vulva is short, although today it is longer! She looks a little hollower in the flank than yesterdeay. She was dripping milk several days ago. Then waxed up. Didn't get anything out when I tried a few days ago. Bag does appear to be consistently full.

Anyway, I appreciate your comments. As I see her change, I am beginning to see what others are referring to and that makes me think sometime this week, but maybe not the next two days. But in the end, I guess it is her call!! LOL

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 173
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare's udder still isn't full yet... The guy who I got her from and has had several foals from her said right before she foals, her bag gets huge, but I think I'm gonna give her the rest of the Dom, and hopefully that will do the trick!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is Dom? I hope for your sake she bags up soon!This is your last one, isn't it?

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's Domperidone (sp). It's a paste that you give to mares if they got into fescue, because fescue limits their milk production, I believe. So it should help her bag to get where it should be! I hope! No, this is my first foal. Never had one before. Lol. Kinda scary!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya, Emily, I know the feeling!

amanda chapman
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Sindy foaled last night a chestnut and white filly hope the pics work.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/ucs_photos/dfoal.jpg

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/ucs_photos/dfoal2.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a pretty baby!! Congratulations! Yeah!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Amanda! Did you see the birth?

Breeding Stock

Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awww. thats what chloes baby would look like!!! congrads!

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 220
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorgeous! Congratulations...similar colour to ours.

amanda chapman
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was watching her on the cam, then went in when her waters were breaking she was very good and all went well, the other mare is due next tuesday, good luck to everyone else.

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 582
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats!!!! She is lovely!!!!!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 846
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Amanda! She is beautiful. I have a dun tobiano filly born on 3/20/08. I noticed she has a pretty blaze. I thought tobianos are supposed to have very little white on their face. Does this mean your filly is actually a tovero?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 847
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 03:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Amanda! She is beautiful. I have a dun tobiano filly born on 3/20/08. I noticed she has a pretty blaze. I thought tobianos are supposed to have very little white on their face. Does this mean your filly is actually a tovero?

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 350
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

charlene,if i understand in right thats only if the white crosses over the eyes.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 848
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Judy. I was under the impression that tobianos didn't have much white on their face. I guess I was misinformed.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 260
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey charlene, hadn't seen you around in a while....worried that something might be wrong. Everything ok with you and your daughter?
I often go back and look at the pics of your baby, and still I am blown away by her! What a great looking filly! I'd snatch her up in a heartbeat! Awesome!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda, what a gorgeous filly!!! Looks so much like her mom! Congratulations!!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 140
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda Congrats on your cutie pie filly!

amanda chapman
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, i think she is Tobiano i do have a tovero filly and her markings are very different.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 850
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana. Thanks for asking about Ashley. She is doing great! I had to work 40hrs. this week, and haven't had much time to post. Thanks also for the nice compliment on Jetta. She is getting so big. Here are some recent pics... http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0414081928.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0418081921a-1.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0411080843a.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0411080844a.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0411080844.jpg Have you had anymore babies born yet?

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok I really think she's going to make me wait til christmas! I left her alone last night and spend the evening home. Got there this morning STILL NO BABY!! Anyone have better luck than me?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, I just can't get over how adorable Jetta is!!! I love the one with bended legs in the feed bucket!! I still have not had anymore babies, but we're waiting ....and hoping. I could have sworn I was gonna get one during the day today, but no go. It'll be soon....hopefully it'll be colorful! Glad to hear all is well with you.

wanda detrow
Neonate
Username: Wanda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello All,

I am new to the site so if I post in the wrong place, sorry... Here is my ?, I will try to keep this as short as possible..We used to foster horses for a local rescue and we took in a 10yr old percheron mare that already had a filly & was pregant..when it was time to wean the filly the rescue took the Mare back to their farm..we later found out she miscarried...or did she..we decided to adopt her after her miscarriage and the filly was adopted out..when we got her back she had lost a ton of weight appr. 300lbs..and looked awful..they said the vet said it was from the miscarriage..I have spent the winter putting her weight back on her..she looks great, when we had her and she was pregnant & nursing she had milk veins. but when she came back she did not have any..now today when I went out and was feeding and turning out to pasture I noticed that she has milk veins..could she be pregnant?? do mares have these veins any other time besides when they are pregnant? She does have a large belly but I thought it was a grass belly. I did look at her teats today..I did not see any waxing or leaking..any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! ;0) would be my first foaling..this is my first horse as an adult was around horses all my life up until early teenager but none that foaled..Thanks for reading!! ;0)

wanda detrow
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a couple other things I forgot to add to the above posting..

She would have been due in March/April from what they said originally...she was a rescue from a farm that was going to take them all to slaughter.. The rescue said that they saw the fetus in the pasture one day but they also have about 14 other horses out in the pasture..I wonder if it was from another horse..they just reported to me that her half sister whom they also rescued and was due this month had a still born ;0(

she use to sweat all the time anyway..when we had her the first time she was alway sweaty when out side or inside, besides the heat she was nursing and pregnant is what I figured made her sweat.. she has been sweating on her neck area but I thought that was just because of her heavy mane...she was always a brood mare.

thanks again jsut thought I should add this too!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amanda: Pretty filly! Many congrats!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, the pics are adorable. I love the little snip of white on her nose!

Michelle, still no baby, but I think I am just too inexperienced to tell when she is about to foal. So short of living in the pasture or corral with her for 50 days or so, I decided to back off a bit. I actually only checked on her once (that's right-once) last night. I believe she is close, but I'm looking for more definitive "signs" before I go back to full foal watch.

How about you? Is this your first? I can't remember if I saw your post on the short list of who is still waiting, on another thread.

But we will eventually all be "announcing." That will be so much fun! Hope your mare foals soon.

Wanda, perhaps there is a surprise foal awaiting you. I would suggest you get the vet out. He/she might have to do an ultra-sound or sonogram or whatever they call it on a horse.

I think it would be best to know, so you can get the nutrition up to speed, have her wormed and vaccinated if need be.

I want to welcome you to the board. I too have my first horse as an adult (well, I did have a mare for about six months in my 20's-that was a few, uhumm, years ago). It is my first foal. It's making me nuts. But if your's is in foal, you can join all us other foal watchers. Heck, join us either way. You'll probably get the bug just by having a mare!

If none fo this makes sense, it will after you read a few more threads!

Please keep us posted Wanda!

Okay, I feel really stupid asking this but I'm just too lazy to figure this out so if someone has a quick formula, could you please share? I need to figure out how many days my horse is pregnant. Her LBD was May 26th, 2007. Thanks. Once I have that, I will feel more "on board," with you experienced folks. Not that it'll change anything! HaHa.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ if you mare was last bred on May 26th, 2007 then her due date (using 342 days as average) would be May 3, 2008.

My mare was bred May 29th, 2007 and we are looking at May 6th. You and I will be hanging out in the May foalwatch thread!

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks CJSKIP for the nice welcome!!

Oh I already have the bug..that's why I keep questioning myself....I have the vet scheduled for Wednesday...I have been worming her every 6 wks and I have her on a high protein/high fat grain with hay and lots of water..she is a big drinker/eater..but I have her on that because when I got her she was very underweight when I got her back from the rescue.. she looks great but the milk veins, biting at her belly, and I think I have seen movement(???) I am so excited either way...I Love her to death..she is just my big girl..the nice thing is, if she is I already know that she is a great mother..
Should I keep her in the stall more than out to pasture..can a mare have milk veins for any other reason...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy, thank-you, but what I'm trying to find is the number of actual days she is in her pregnancy. Is she 340 and so on. I'm sure it is an easy formula, but I just don't know it. Perhaps I'll google it. That might be an easy way for my lazy self this morning!

Wanda, you are welcome.

I let my mare out in the daytime, since few foal then. But I do keep a close eye on her, which is easy since she is only on about 2 1/2 acres of pasture. I put her in when I give her the evening feeding, just before dark. I feed her in the morning and don't let her out for a couple of hours after that. I can monitor poop and food intake that way.

Sounds like she could be pregnant all right. I don't know about veins on a horse's utter, but is there any evidence of milk? Is her bag hard? Can you express milk? If there is anything coming out when you squeeze her teat, then I would say that is pretty conclusive. But the vet will be able to confirm for sure, I hope.

Keep us posted.

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops CJ...sorry..didn't realize you meant the number off days in foal..I guess if I had read closer I would have noticed that. She should be 331 days in foal at this point. Here is the link to a foaling calculator that I've used, although I'm sure there are others out there I just saved this one in my favs.

http://duncity.net/horses/foalingcalc.htm

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another one that gives you a range with three dates. The first being early, average and the last being what they call full term at 350 days.

http://www.dreamhorse.com/foal_calc.php

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 262
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: "I let my mare out in the daytime since few foal then." hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry my very dear friend, but I just HAVE to give you a hard time. I'm no Tim or Jonathan, but in my years of foaling, I've only had one, yes ONE, foal at night. All of mine have been when the sun has risen over the flat end of the earth! In fact, during Foal Watch, I've often asked myself what I was doing out in the middle of the night every few hours with as little as I've experienced in night births!

I look forward to your tale about how you checked her at 5:30am and went in to take a shower, only to come out at 7:00am to find that there are now 8 instead of 4 legs in the paddock/pasture. Hehehehe! You crack me up!

jennifer adamy
Neonate
Username: Jadamy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...maybe stupid question but here goes. What does a milk vein look like?! Can someone point me to a picture or give me some other type of explanation?

Thanks!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 264
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 06:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer: NOT a stupid question...there is no such thing as a stupid question on here silly goose! Let me see if I can find a pic that would show that well. If not, hopefully someone on here will have one.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 856
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana. I hope you get a colorful baby soon!

Thank you also CJ. Jetta is my little cutie pie, that's for sure

Michelle Richardson
Yearling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer I will see if I can pics of Goldies milk veins. Her run along her belly and back to her udders. I am sure someone else has pics but I will try to get some for you.

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Jennifer...

Here are some pics of my big girl..she still has a lot of her winter coat on so it might be hard for you to see her milk veins but if you look close it is the long line(vein) running under her belly here back towards her utter! she is a mess because she always lays down to sleep and she loves to roll..she just had a bath last week but you can't tell it now...;0) but she is my girl!!

I have never posted pics on here I hope this works..

What do you all think..does she look pregnant ( I know who can tell)...picture #2 is from last week
and the others were all from yesterday!

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/annie016.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/annie005.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/annie015.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/annie017.jpg

jennifer adamy
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Question on PH and hardness test. I have been trying to do a milk test but have found getting enough for a sample is quite a struggle. She is making me nervous being so close and still not much of a bag but I know "maiden mares" !! Anyways, I used a pool sample strip. The hardness was very high (1000) and the ph was high as well (8.4). Someone earlier said 6 something was a good indication of impending foaling so I can see we are off there. What is the range for hardness? Her due date is tomorrow ( I don't know why we even say due date, it should be due MONTH) From what I can see it does not look like I will be having a foal anytime soon.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, what a pretty girl! To me she looks like she could be pregnant. Was she more round before, then dropped like she is now? If so, it is a good indication. But if she didn't have the barrel belly, but just went to this, I don't know. Then againl, you're pumping the food to her-let's see what others say.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 02:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, what a pretty girl! To me she looks like she could be pregnant. Was she more round before, then dropped like she is now? If so, it is a good indication. But if she didn't have the barrel belly, but just went to this, I don't know. Then againl, you're pumping the food to her-let's see what others say.

Jennifer, I know it can be very confusing! Certainly has been for me! Hang in there!

Well, no foal yet for me, but I've backed off and decided she wasn't ready. Actually got to sleep!! Checked her once last two nights. Went to get the PH strips yesterday-but it was on of those days-running around wasting time and gas and nothing much accomplished. I plan to go today.

Anyway, today she is acting differnt. Didn't eat much last night compared to the bales she's been wolfing down lately. Drinking more water. Grouchy!!! But let me luv on a her a little bit. I was petting her face and she kind of leaned it into me like, "I'm so miserable!" And she looks and acts miserable. Vulva not any different though. But I don;t see how she can go much longer. Teats are like "ice cream cones," as someone posted here had described their own mare's. Sorry, I forget who. But now I can see that description fits my mare's too.

So, I may go back on full alert tonight. I have my "ready bag" with flashlight, extra clothes, some snacks, and then her "ready bag," with all the foaling stuff in it. So I'm ready. The question is, is she?????

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 859
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer here is a couple of pics of my mares milk veins. http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0422080909a.jpg http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0422080910.jpg

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 265
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi-I had to chuckle too. But actually, I mean I let her out well after daylight-about 11-noon, then bring her in just before dark. I read that most mares foal between 11pm and 3am. But I'm sure plenty foal at sunrise too. That is probably what will happen to me-since I usually "go to bed" about then!

SO NOW I HAVE TO STAY UP UNTIL FULL DAYLIGHT! Thanks for the tip!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 275
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj is now back to DUHH-dom...hehehe...don't forget them jammie bottoms and your granny hat...its a foal stylin' must! We'll all wipe your drool from your mouth when you obtain the 72 straight awake state!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 266
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! I'm counting on you Bobbi!!! I was gonna say you are just jealous because I got some sleep, but then remembered your next foal isn't due until June.

My stylin' foaling outfit awaits!

I finally figured out my mare is 331 days pregnant (going by the last bred date). I'm so proud of myself!

I cleaned her "stall' to the ground and am letting it completely dry out, while she is out in the pasture, but I'm watching her closely. I don't think she wants to foal with the goats hanging over her!

She is dripping some white milk again, for the first time in over a week. Mean anything to anyone? The 'ole question. Do I lose sleep or not? Like Emily said, if she goes the full 50 days, "I can't stand it!!!!!"

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 05:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK all I think my mare might be getting closer!! (of course she is..they don't go backwards do they )
Today she was biting at everything in her stall and yawning a lot. Now that I have seen the milk veins (thank you charlene) hers are very pronounced. This evening small piles of poo in her stall. I tried the ph test again and the color and consistency has changed and the ph was in the 6ish range according to the strips I have. (which are ones we have for testing spas so it is a range not an exact number) Her "due date" the vet gave me is the 23rd to the 8th, she was an AI. Vulva is a darker pink color then it has been.

Fingers crossed!! One more thing...what does DUHH stand for??!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Dats why I be your friend...teehee! Dripping again??? Hmmm...I would be suspicious and I would start loosing some sleep. Is it warmer now in the front seat of the car?

Explain to poor Jennifer what DUHH is...poor thing needs to get inducted into the DUHH Hall of Fame with the rest of us!

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 07:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Guys!!!

Well I have to agree with you I think she is beautifull but don't all mpom's thing their babies are the prettiest! LOL

Well the farrier was out today...she was having no part of that...we got one hoof done in 45 minutes..That was my first experience with a farrier..so we are gonna try tomorrow when the vet comes to check her...he said he could give her a little sedation...do you all think that would be ok if she is pregnant???
She was not quite as low as she is now... she had definitley grown in the last 2-3 weeks and I wasn't watching her belly per say because I didn't think she was pregnant...but I think she is much lower..I kept her in today just because I had the farrier out and then I had to work...but I found her laying in the stall which she never does during the day,...she was rubbing her butt against the stall which I have not seen her do that before today..she has been yawning all day...and very loving too..she just keeps putting her head into my chest too and wanting loved on...she is still eating good and drinking..I have noticed she is peeing a lot more..or maybe it is just because now I have been living in the barn since I noticed her milk veins..she is not bagging up yet though...my husband keeps telling my I am crazy for thinking that she is...so I told him if the vet says she is not then I will quit with my crazed behavior after that! LOL (probably not) but we will let him think that! :0)
Thanks everyone for your responses...hope some of you get some sleep tongight and I will be watching for the good news of any births overnight!

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merry had a beautiful little filly last night. She sorrel with countershading, blaze, and 1 hind sock. For some reason I'm having issues posting here today so I'll get pictures posted later.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ONE DAY LATE?!?!?! THAT'S ALL YOU HAD TO ENDURE????? JUST ONE DAY???? Well good for Merry, I am happy she is one of the few mares on here with her sh*t together! Can't wait to see photos....Go Merry go! (Good girl)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 267
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my, we're all getting a little frazzled, aren't we? LOL

Michelle, congratulations. And a filly! Well, that's what I prefer-doesn't mean everyone does. What time? Tell us the details; we want details!

Seems there have been more fillies lately. Charlene. are you still keeping track?

Bobbi, I truly hope you are wrong about my mare tonight-it is going to rain and she has no cover! It is CA. It ain't supposed to rain now! Although it does occassionally. Keeping my fingers crossed. It is cold and windy, but I can protect her foal from that!

Jennifer: DUHH is a term invented by Tim and adopted by all of us on this board. It stands for: Dysfunctional Undelivered Horse Handlers' Syndrome. If you have time, read some of the past posts. Will make you laugh while you are waiting for that baby.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 268
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.S. Bobbi, I kind of enjoyed the sleep these past two nights, so do you really think it means something? Seeing milk on her bag and leg for the first time in over a week?

She is acting different today. Not sure how to describe it. Lots more biting sides though. Lots and lots of tail swishing; but just the backend. No flies-windy day. She is 331 days along.

The car is warm as long as I let it run all night!! HAHA!

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well she was born sometime between 10pm and 7am. I fell asleep grrrr. I swear Merry waited for me to let my guard down. When I got up this morning she was looking out the front of the stall at me. She's nursing very well, getting her LONG legs figured out. Mamma and baby are doing great. Without further ado introducing Kaya.
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Kaya/IMG_0527.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Kaya/IMG_0528.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s246/mustangjumper/Kaya/IMG_0521.jpg[/IMG]

Regena B
Neonate
Username: Callawayssuzy

Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep thinking that its too early, or I'm just wishing for it-- but I think Suzy's very close to delivering her foal. She started to develop a bag early this month, her udders are quite large now(no milk that I can see, but those back legs start flying when I try to milk her at all), and I noticed two days ago that her thigh muscles are have gotten very, very lax. Tonight when I went to throw late-night hay, I noticed that her vulva has elongated a large amount just since this AM. She also seemed quite fidgety-- lost of switching her weight back and forth on her back legs, and intermittently holding her tail in a higher-than-normal position. She's only at day 228 though... I'm just hoping this doesn't turn out to be a false alarm.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 01:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, it is safe to sedate a pregnant mare so don't worry if you need to do it.

Michelle, congratulations!

Regena, if she is only 228 days you actually better hope it IS a false alarm, that is WAY too early and your foal will not survive. Are you sure on your breeding dates?

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 279
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, she is very pretty. What color would you call her? I love the wide blaze. Congratualtions once again!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina, did you mean 328 days? If not, I'd call the vet ASAP. I don't know if they can do anything to stall labor, but perhaps if it is done early enough? I'm wishing you a very healthy foal. Hang in there.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 281
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 03:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay ya all. I decided to go to Wal-Mart to buy a survellance camera. Not nuts about shopping at Wal-Mart, but they are about the only action in town, and the only place at 10:00 pm.

Anyway, they had no wireless ones. Boo Hoo! So I can't watch her tonight on camera, from my cozy bed. But her vulva is not elongated and is still pink.

I bought some test strips that test PH. Couldn't find any that test calcium. But I couldn't squeeze one drop out of either teat! So what can I do about that? Her bag seems pretty full. It is hard. Are we supposed to take the "wax" off if there? It doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Help-help-please.

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 07:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no baby...

Thanks for the explanation of DUHH...I love it.

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle, What a doll baby! Glad everything went well! Congrats!!

I will find out today if we are expecting or not! I cannot wait until 3:00 for the vet to get here!

Thanks TRacy! I thought so because after I ask that I later thought...that was a stupid question because the vets office even said he might have to sedate her to palpate her..

I went out to feed this morning and I found her out of her stall..she had pushed/kicked? her stall door open..she has never done that...but I could tell she was on the floor last night she had her bedding all pushed to the corners and next to none in the middle where she had been laying...she has always laid down to sleep so laying down at night is not uncommon for her..

If she is not she is putting on a good show and showing unusual behavior!
I will let you all know this afternoon! ;0)
I really like this site..it is nice talking to other horse people!!
Have agreat day everyone!!

Michelle, Merry Due 4/21
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CjSkip - She is Sorrel with countershading like her mother. She will more than likely shed out to be the exact same color as Merry.

Regena B
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooops, sorry---Typo!! I mean 328!
When she foaled in '05, she went right on her 340 day due date... and I definitely think she'll go by day 340 this time.

No baby last night though.

Regena B
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

About how long after you start seeing vulvar elongation will foaling begin? I remember reading somewhere that it will most likely be within 24-48 hours after it starts... Suzy has elongated at least an inch in the past 24 hours, so I was just curious.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle: She's a nice baby! (Of course you know me...I like those long-legged running babies!) Congratulations! Sorry you missed the event but its not near as important as having a great healthy foal!

Wanda: I'm having my mare that is due in June sedated in a few weeks to pull an abcessed tooth. My vet's rule of thumb is we do as minimal as possible with drugs and other intervention during pregancy. But we must always weight out the worse of two evils...the mare must be able to eat and chew in order to sustain herself and her pregancy, so sedation and removing the tooth is far more important and worth the small risk of the sedation. My vet clinic has a "less is always better" attitude when dealing with nature's progress.

Cj: Yes...I do think it means something. I think you may have some activity within the week.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1445
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle~Congrats on a beautiful filly! Wow she is big and well muscled..she looks like a 2 week old! Very cute face...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh good Regena, I was worried about your foal!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina, so glad it was a typo! How is she doing now?

Okay-I'm still confused about all this waxing business. My mare did wax (hard little droplets at end of teats after she had dripped milk for a day or so).

Now, I do not see any wax, but noticed a whitish substance on her bag and inside flank day before yesterday. Now, I see nothing at all but full teats. I cannot express any milk out at all, so cannot use my test strips that I went to buy at 10:00 last night! LOL

So what does it mean? I do believe she will foal this week, but the waxing has me perplexed.

Her vulva is same. Tail pretty loose. Belly still needs to drop some I think. She is still very grumpy! Was pushing butt against stall again. Don;t think she'll foal tonight, but I think within days she will.

Emily, got foal?

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I may have another form of the DUHH Syndrome....its the other extreme...after my Easter weekend of three foal births I have slide into a deep case of denial regarding the upcoming foaling of Viuda due May 23....HELP....

The symptoms are thinking that belly isn't THAT big, Hasn't her bay always looked like that....she eats so much no wonder she waddles....etc. etc.

In case she really is in foal (LOL) I have put her in the pre natal paddock, given her the 10mo shots, and started a list of baby names...but then again if I just ignore the signs and keep sleeping through the night.............

Don't worry ladies, I KNOW she is in foal and I have to give it the old college try one more time...maybe I will finally get a filly!!!

Viuda doesn't seem to mind the extra hay and special paddock and is quietly going on her way, baking a baby....what a good girl....

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000605.jpg[/IMG]

YUP I had better give up denial!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 04:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry~I am really wishing hard for a filly for you~ you have enough colts for 2008!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 05:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry: Give up denial...the timer is at its final ticking hour...hahaha!

CJ: I don't think I'm wrong...I think your at the end of your baby baking days too! Wax??? What's that??? Oh, that's right, my mares forgot to read the manual on that one. One mare waxed for a day about a week before PRESTO. The other never waxed.

Elongated??? Oh, that's right...one mare was elongated for the last 3 months of her pregnancy, the other mare, oh, that's right, she CLINCHED!

Does anyone here see Bill Engvall standing around saying....."HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 609
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone here see Bill Engvall standing around saying....."HERE'S YOUR SIGN"

Bobbi,
You know you're a redneck when..... LOL Seriously I didn't know who he or Jeff Foxworthy were until I moved down here. Then of course I started watching CMT.
No offense to any Rednecks out there.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No offense to any Rednecks out there

None taken.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: None taken here either...hehehe And by the way, DUHH inducts you into redneckism...I guess you are one now!

Tim: }

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 289
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi got a moose instead of a foal and now...it gallops like a giraffe

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 290
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim/Jonathan: If it LOOKS like a Moose and it RUNS like a giraffe...does that still make it a foal?????

Sorry all you foal watchers out there...I just must laugh at my poor babe and I'm just trying to keep you all smiling through these loooonnnnggg days!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 610
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I guess if I am one now it was a good thing I got my dad the redneck dictionary for Christmas. Better go study. Man, I thought I was done with school.

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it is official...we are in foal...yipppeeee!!

The vet said he could not tell exactly so he said it could be anywhere from tomorrow up to 60 days... if I have my guess I think it will be sooner than later....time to start getting prepared...she has been doing everything that you have all been mentioning..holding her tail up, shifting weight from side to side, grouchy, pulling her hay down out of her bin and spreading it all over the stall, rubbing her butt up against the stall..

I guess all we have now is time...or do we..??

We had to completely put her out for the farrier...that concerned me but being that she has not had them done in a very long time she had to have them done...her new feet look great!!! The vet and farrier were wonderful...

Alright everyone...what do I need to have on hand...what are the ph test strips you have been talking about..are you checking the milk?? any advice will be welcomed..this is my first...

Well I guess my husband will be buying be Red Lobster now...we made a bet..if I was right I got to pick where we eat dinner if he was right he got to!!! The bad thing is...who has time to go out and eat..I have a mare to watch!! LOL

Thanks in advance....

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda ...BRING ON THE CHEDDAR BAY BISCUITS!!!! Good for you! Congratulations on your mare....Just for the fact that you were on this board even before KNOWING your mare was prego means that you've DEFINITELY got the DUHH!! (probably worse than most of us) (except Bobbi, who I'd bet lives in it, even outside foaling season.....btw...what's it like in your world Bobbi..???? I'd LOVE TO LIVE THERE ...you're too funny) And "all we have now is time?" haha! You've got a lot more than that on your hands Wanda! (you'll see)hehehehe

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I have a giraffe too! Let's compare....here is mine...two weeks old and just getting more giraffe like...not covering his ribs with fat, just getting taller and more up hill.....43" at the withers which by the way are still tucked between his very high shoulder blades...seems like his knees an hocks match mom(16.2)...hope he starts to grow round and out pretty soon....

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x58/terryberry_bucket/P1000573.jpg[/IMG]

Regena B
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 11:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Suzy is about the same tonight as last night... very loose in the butt area, full udder (still no milk-- did try to "milk" her this afternoon, finally got several sprays of clearish yellow liquid), and somewhat cranky. So I'm afraid I'll have to wait awhile longer

Sorry I scared you guys!! I hate this darn laptop with its tiny keys!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok! Yipee We have some bags going on in here with my 22 year young Spring! (California lingo) I came home tonight to some nice bags with some brownish wax on the end of one nipple.The bags are very hard to touch (ouch!)
Poor momma she pinned her ears at me pushed me with her head as I was bending over!
I couldn't beleive she did that! I started laughing so hard I almost wet my pants OK! so i'm getting older....I will post some pictures in the early am, I have to charge the batteries.
I think she will foal Saturday???

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regena - my mare seems to be the same as yours, everything but the wax/milk yet! I hope its not too much longer, i hate the suspense

Terry - that foal is absolutely massive!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, but he's a cute giraffe! LOL

Well, I bought one of those night vision, weatherproof survellence cameras. Then had to buy a TV to use with it. Wasn't sure if I could use a computer monitor. Well, the house has no cable, so I need to have anntannea ears or something before I can get the TV to work. I can play DVD's. That's all. The lady of the hourse had already gone to bed by the time I got it set-up, so will have to wait until tomorrow to ask her. She is the tech. person in the house.

So I'm enjoying my DVD, thinking I can just check mare a couple times tonight. Get a midnight call from tenants who live above the garage that my horse is, "running around her corral and making weird sounds.

So I run down and she is ALL upset! Verging on panic. Kept looking out at the pasture like she was scared. So I got a light on her and the goats came up, so she calmed down. She gets a bit spooked with wind and it is windy tonight. So I'm like thinking she's going to wig out on me, but as I said calmed down when the goats came up.

Well, you know what I'm doing? Yup. Sitting in my car with my little dog, with headlights on her. She is still pretty calm at this point. I thought she was gonna try to climb out of her corral! But she is an older girl and has arthritis, so think she wouldn't try it.

But of coourse my car was almost out of gas, so as soon as she calmed down, I drove t the nearest station and got gas. Now I'm back with lights on her.

She is pacing. Wind? Labor? Who knows! I'm just glad I've got this wireless laptop to "chat" with all my horsey friends on. I don't think she'll foal tongiht, but will see. Her belly is so low! And her flanks look pretty hollow to me. But that vulva doesn't look like it wants to stretch out. Still pushing butt, licking and yawning. Also biting at sides. Do they often get wild eyed during labor? I'm going to ask this on a new thread.

So my $124.00 spy camera sits in pieces and I'm in my car again. Didn 't I start out here??

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi:

Gimooseraffe is perfectly acceptable, however if he begins to show camelephant tendancies, you may be in trouble.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone,
I have some changes happening with my mare, FINALLY! not huge but acceptable please foal over the weekend I really would like her to have it Friday Night so I can be with her the weekend! HAH!Sure....What does anyone think about her Vulva area? I totally screwed up the boobie Pictures, I'm attempting to do this at the am feeding in about 2 minutes! ANYBODY???

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=Spring04 2308.jpg

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=SPRING04 232008.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1451
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~Very exciting she looks good...Hopefully this weekend, maybe if she progresses quickly. Remind me her previous foaling habits?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAN,
Yes, I'm very excited! All of her others were born between 4:00am-6:00am both times I miss her by minutes! Jan truthfully its been over 10 years and I'm older so my minds wonders! :-)
I really don't remember her giving me good foaling signs! although this time I am constantly monitoring her, it bites because I spend almost 200.00 bucks and as of yesterday my camera's weren't working! (it might be cause it was windy??) Spring isn't leaking yet so who knows?? I did see 1 drop of this brownish wax on the end of 1 nipple and this morning it was gone?
Here's another view, sorry about not cleaning her rupp! (sp)

Jan, I havent seen Marilyn much on the board is she ok? or do you know?
Have a grand day Jan~

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm290/equinewmn/?action=view&current=SPRING04 232008.jpg

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 292
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: A Gimooseraffe is ok? Whew! Glad to know that! As long as the track vet signs off on it in about 2 years we'll be alright! I wonder...do they tatoo gimooseraffes or do they put on a florescent orange tracking collar instead???

Terry: HIGH FIVE BABY! We'll just have gimooseraffes together! Moose is doing the same thing...still has that ribby look and getting taller and taller. Poor thing hasn't figured out that he has to SPREAD out those long front legs in order to reach the grass! Your baby is really grand! I love it! Echo's baby, on the other hand, is just filled out and muscled up and is really body beautiful! What a sharp contrast that the combinations made out of my different breed mares! I will get some updated photos and post them. (Noone can tell Moose that we laughed at him though, poor thing will grow up with a complex!)

Cj: I am dying here! Poor girl...by the time you ever get that whole camera thing figured out you will have a baby on the ground. Keep your receipt so you can take it back! Hahahaha! My mares, who are normally very unintimidated by the weather or other factors, got real "spooky" during the end of their gestation. Just do what you're doing and be the good "mom" and comfort them.

Wanda: Congrats on your "for sure" pregnancy and in the success of getting her feet taken care of! We'll be anxious to see your baby!

Regena: Keep on hangin' in there!

Laurie: Has her backend looked like that for awhile or is it just starting? You're getting close (but of course you are..hehehe)

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie - I hope she'll go this weekend for you; but her vulva isn't very long....time will tell I guess right?

Iana made the 320 day mark yesterday. She is getting huge. She has a huge bag and her vulva is getting long; she is pointy and loose in the back. Last year she held that baby for almost a whole year; I'm thinking that she is going to kick this one out early. I'm hoping that means it is a filly as she has only had colts in the past and progressed much more slowly with them.
Pics from Day 314:
Side view -
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana%202007-2008/Day3144-17-0 81.jpg
Rear View -
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana%202007-2008/?action=view &current=Day3144-17-083.jpg
Udder -
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana%202007-2008/Day3144-17-0 82.jpg

And from Day 320 (from phone sorry for quality):
Side -
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana%202007-2008/ianaday320si de.jpg
Rear -
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o318/lisalynn98/Iana%202007-2008/ianaday320.j pg

What do ya'll think??

Oh and Terry - I think that you'd better snap out of denial.....hoping we both get fillies!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: LOL...a day in the life, huh? Here's just 2 hours in my life as of yesterday evening!

Arrive at the farm at approximately 6:12PM...uh oh...in the 12 acre field where we have Blossom, Moose & Prego Lena...and where the previous night we had put "Freckles" and "Daisy" (2 of our cows) in with the horses in order to wean off their calves...were...ta duh...the ENTIRE herd of cattle...other than our bull (who is critically needed as we have 3 cows in heat) and one 1st year cow mamma's baby. Obscenities are spilling out of my mouth about now as the rest of the herd was with my stallion and gelding. This means that fence is down somewhere...crapola!

I hastily jog over to fence line and sure enough, a five strand barbed wire fence is now only a 2 strand barbed fence with only the very top and the very bottom remains intact. Breath a sigh of relieve as stallion runs over to see me and I realize that he was too stupid to duck his head and "come on over" with the group. I turn my head and evil eye glare at the little horned devil $@%#& 18 month old bull that is the culprit in this near fiasco as this is now the 5th time I have had to repair fence in the last 5 days. He has learned that if he sticks his head through and takes his horns and just "twists" that he was born to be the official "can opener" I promptly inform him that he is now wearing a sign on his butt that reads, "McDonald's...here I come!"

So, after graining the stallion & gelding to keep them occupied, I then set about getting a massive angus bull and a somewhat horrible new mom back to the other side where EVERYBODY is now. Got that somewhat accomplished without getting killed.

By this point, Blossom, Moose & Lena have figured out that they now have company. And, its there normal feeding time.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God Bobbi! I remember those days at my grandfather's farm. Honestly, you need to consider an electric fence to supplement your current fencing.

Remember me telling you that my grandpa decided to get into Longhorns at one point? Well one of those Rangemaster 100-mile chargers was about the only thing they respected. He set it up with a double strand of poly-braid rope (thick) running around the inside of the normal fence at about their chest height and then one about nose height (they were tall). Once they got zapped a couple of times, they stayed the heck back off the fence.

I know you have cattle and barb-wire is the norm, but I worry about your horses and that barb wire that keeps coming down. Maybe a strand of electric fence tape on the inside would help that too.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie~Marilyn was on and said that all was well. That she would post pictures of Dora soon. and she was gearing up to breed her other two mares. I think you might still have a little time...what will you do about coming up for the fiesta if she holds out on you? I will send foaling thoughts to her!!! and think Friday night at around 7 pm!!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 294
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part Duece:

So, I get them grained, only to be surrounded by 15 head of cattle, who ALSO know that its their time to be fed. It would be a bit crowded now! Understand that there is definate pecking order on the farm. Horses rule...always! Cows will stand and bellow while you are feeding horses and will politely wait their turn. Until...its their turn. This is the tricky part. By the time its their turn...slobber, slime and other nasty things are drooling from their mouths and when you walk out with the grain, all it takes is for one little, itty bitty step by a cow and the whole herd goes into stampede mode. So...you learn to dump grain fast and run for your life!

So, here we are, 2 crabby mares & 15 cattle all eating within a 12 foot proximity of each other. All is well until several things occur.

1st: Moose, completely baffled by what these creatures are, gets a tad curious about the "miniature" versions of these loud, ghastly beasts. My newest calf, who is all of 2 weeks old, is quite bold and is equally curious about Moose. So they timidly step towards each other with their little heads stretching out to the other in order to get a good whiff, (Moms are calmly eating)and then, it happens. Two inches from the nose of Moose decides to "bleet" (I don't know how else to describe it) which sends Moose to the Moon, around Jupiter, and slamming back onto Earth. This in turn, sends the calf to Pluto, into the next galaxy, and right in the middle of the two horses...by me! This reaction in turn, sends mommy Blossom into orbit as well, and mommy "Spook" cow into a frantic attack. Spook moves towards me and calf, Blossom thinks she's after her grain, Blossom takes out after cow, cow takes out after me, I take out for the safety (which is nowhere close by), Moose takes off for Lena, Lena takes off for me, cows take off towards the pigs, pigs now think this is a fun game and they start squalling, other new calves now notice these odd new creatures, 2 other new calf babies now go to the Moon, pigs take off running and grunting, Echo & Rhetti (in the field next to this cluster mess) freak out because the pigs are freaking out (they're all friends with each other), cows then re-freak and it was nothing short of ugly.

I am all of 92 pounds...I am but a wee object that poses no deterant to either cow or horse.

I stand there and when the dust settled and everyone was back in their places, I said...I'm moving to KY and getting a job in a foaling barn!

Hahahaha!

PS...fence is repaired and we will await this evening to see what new adventure holds!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 295
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: LOL...a day in the life, huh? Here's just 2 hours in my life as of yesterday evening!

Arrive at the farm at approximately 6:12PM...uh oh...in the 12 acre field where we have Blossom, Moose & Prego Lena...and where the previous night we had put "Freckles" and "Daisy" (2 of our cows) in with the horses in order to wean off their calves...were...ta duh...the ENTIRE herd of cattle...other than our bull (who is critically needed as we have 3 cows in heat) and one 1st year cow mamma's baby. Obscenities are spilling out of my mouth about now as the rest of the herd was with my stallion and gelding. This means that fence is down somewhere...crapola!

I hastily jog over to fence line and sure enough, a five strand barbed wire fence is now only a 2 strand barbed fence with only the very top and the very bottom remains intact. Breath a sigh of relieve as stallion runs over to see me and I realize that he was too stupid to duck his head and "come on over" with the group. I turn my head and evil eye glare at the little horned devil $@%#& 18 month old bull that is the culprit in this near fiasco as this is now the 5th time I have had to repair fence in the last 5 days. He has learned that if he sticks his head through and takes his horns and just "twists" that he was born to be the official "can opener" I promptly inform him that he is now wearing a sign on his butt that reads, "McDonald's...here I come!"

So, after graining the stallion & gelding to keep them occupied, I then set about getting a massive angus bull and a somewhat horrible new mom back to the other side where EVERYBODY is now. Got that somewhat accomplished without getting killed.

By this point, Blossom, Moose & Lena have figured out that they now have company. And, its there normal feeding time.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry. Part 2 posted before Part 1.

Entertaining reading while we're waiting for babies! Hope everyone's foal watch is going along well.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 297
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catherine: We've got electric fencing but geeezzz, they won't lay off long enough for us to get the dern stuff up! We're going this weekend to get a round pen. Its for my horses but it is now crucial that we get it because the dude with the horns is going on down the road. We've been trying to take him from the herd for a month now...that's when he learned that those things on his head are quite useful in getting back to where he wants to be. Its going to take a round pen now to keep him seperated out...we'll never get him loaded in a trailer without it.

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question for all. Stella still has not delivered and now seems to be showing no real changes or signs. (Due date 4/23)Suprise Suprise. I have her in a paddock with her original paddock mates, my younger Oldenburg mare and a yearling from last year. About 60 days ago I partitioned this paddock off to make a small paddock off the barn so Stella was "by herself" but still able to be with her friends. I was going to wait until the baby was delivered to move the two; figuring Stella would be fine with just her and baby. Well grass in that paddock was getting a little thin for my two and I decided to let them out into the nice big spring pasture. Stella can still see them ...sometimes. She has been pacing and running the fence now for about two hours and is pretty sweaty being as it is 80 degress. Would you all let her do this and just settle down on her own or would you not rock the boat and move the others back till after the little one arrives? My other fear is after the little one arrives and I move the two then she will be running like this with the baby and exhausting him! Which is the lesser of two evils. With my luck she will go into labor today and be to darned tired from running the fence and then I will have a bigger problem. HELP

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 301
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer: I would move them back. This is such a stressful period and you are right...this could create a real nightmare for you when the baby gets here if she is still stressing. I personally let my mares run together until they foaled. I would have had all my horses together (as they normally all run together) but I wanted to keep the stallion out of the mix for obvious reasons so I left my gelding with him but still gave everyone access fence to fence with each other. This seemed to keep everyone calm and quiet.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I have to say I envy and admire you. I guess because I spent most of my childhood (from about 12)working horses for a guy at the local quarter horse track, and always wanted to race. I got to know all of the jockeys pretty well, and they let me practice with them...but racing was out of the question as it was (and I quote them)"much too dangerous for a girl!". By 15, I was training other people's horses, and a little better accepted as "not just a girl, but a girl with some talent"...I began working 4 barns and 12 horses for other people...and always had my own horse there (I rode him to work haha!) It was my DREAM to be able to race one day...and finally when I turned 18 the owner at the original barn got other barn owners to agree to let me ride...."one time". I was in hog heaven!!! He wanted me to ride his horse, but I wanted to ride my own, which had been on the track on numerous occaisions, but only practice and playing around....well, low and behold, first time out of the gate "officially"...and we whipped the pants off everyone else (by 3 lengths)! And all of the sudden, I had the respect of everyone there! They were quick to reiterate that it was "only one time"...but for some reason, owners wanted to buy my horse, jockeys wanted to ride my horse, and more trainers wanted to put me to work! And all of the sudden I began to think maybe there was a little something more to why they didn't want me on the track than "it's too dangerous" haha!But, I went off to college, did my school thing, came home and had to put my horse to sleep, and never pursued it further. Wish I had. Now I have sold all my big horses and raise these tiny pathetic excuses for horses that are more like puppies (minis). But I keep telling myself that "one day" I'll have a few riding horses again.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 01:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana: Don't beat yourself up about the jockey thing. Its not all glory. Don't get me wrong, I love the sport and the people and the atmosphere but...it has really stinky hours, the pay is crapola unless you've earned the reputation to be on the "winners" and they actually win, the dangers are overwhelming, there isn't any insurance company who's wanting you business, and pension/retirement...hahahha... and as with any sport...there are the "bad guys" out there too. I did my work in the racing quarter horse world as well. I got "lent out" to a TB barn for a short time and got a bad taste in my mouth for the silly equines...now I own the things...go figure! After I stopped racing (watched one my best buddies who took me under his jockey wing and taught me everything I needed to know get killed in the race right before mine!) I was so sick of horses I could scream. In fact, during my tenure in the profession, I had sold all my own horses because working 24/7 in all kinds of weather let me to when was I going to have time to ride my own...and riding for enjoyment??? Well, when you do it for a living it isn't enjoyable anymore. I was horseless for two years. I got thrust back into horses when 3 of the horses that I had raced in the barn were up for sale. So, I bought em. And that's the story on how and why I'm here today...getting those "retired" horses from the track. They're really quite marvelous creatures...can't get a horse that has been exposed to EVERYTHING any better than one off the track. You have to get a real understanding for some of their neurotic behavior but my goodness, you could blow an airhorn right next to their ear and they'd just look at you like...what??? You talkin' to me????

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi that is such a neat story on how you got your horses. Is that Echo & Lena?

jennifer adamy
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi-

Well I took your advice and put the other horses back. Not sure if I have caused a problem, this mare is stressing me out! She was bagged up and the fluid had changed from clear to yellow to milk color.Her teats looked like ice cream cones this morning and had that glossy look. After running the fence she now has nothing!! Her bag is completely gone. Thoughts?

amanda chapman
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My maiden mare foaled last night, checked her 1.00am she was just walking round like she has done for the past 4 nights, then i just had a feeling to look at her again at 1.30am and there was a very wet foal in the stable, another filly !!! she never waxed but has now got plenty of milk.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r319/ucs_photos/sarosa.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Amanda on another beautifully marked filly foal! Very pretty!

Emily West, Zita born 4/12
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats on a nicely colored filly!!!!!!!

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rita is 337 days and is starting to show more signs. She was very active last night up and down, rolling biting at her sides. At 3 am she was hollowed in the flank, but at 6am her flank was full again, but I could see baby moving and she looked uncomfortable, but her tail head is more prominent and her vulva is more relaxed. Her milk is still a slight amber color though. Evening Temp is dropping some. She was very attentive this morning, following me around. This is unusual for her. Hope it happens this weekend

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww. What a beautiful baby!

Now I definitely want to breed to color next time!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 311
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer: You're OK...trust me...you're OK. It is not unusual at all for bags to go "up and down" especially when they've exercised them off. My maidens did that to me this year really bad! They were there in the morning, then they'd be gone, they'd reappear and then they'd be gone. I'm glad you re-grouped everyone. Less stress the better. You know these prego mares don't deal with change well. As I'm sure Tim or Jonathan can attest to, sometimes just bringing them out of the field and stalling them up can induce stress. My motto...don't fix it if it ain't broke or don't upset the apple cart if everything is cool where its parked. You know what I mean? She'll quite back down now and the bag will be there when that baby is born!

Cyndy: No, Lena & Echo are different stories. Blossom (Moose's mom) is the only one off the track that I still have at the moment. But, all the horses I have owned for the past 26 years have come off the track.

Echo is similar...bought her for next to nothing 3 years ago because the barrel racer (all of 14 years old) told her daddy that she wasn't fast enough for her. I can attest to you that she is! Hahaha! My training base motto...if they enjoy it, they will excel, if not, then perhaps that isn't where their talents lie and a good trainer will find where they can excel. (That's for us old people who have the time to fiddle with them, not for the REAL trainers who out there to make a living). But their loss, my gain! She is an exceptional reining horse and is occassionally run on barrels, we just never practice her on them. It gives her a change of pace and considering her horrible experience being trained on barrels, it would not take her long to mentally stress break again. So we do lots of reining and cutting and just throw barrels in there once in awhile for extra flavor!

Lena was bought from our farrier when my daughter decided to make her own investment into the horse world. Farrier got her from a client who couldn't pay her bill so they bartered. Lena is also an outstanding reining/cutting mare. She has almost every foundation quarter horse in her genes and it shows because she is the "tank" of the crew.

If anyone ever is interested in the thoroughbred second career-after racing horses, there is a great organization out there called CANTER. Pretty awesome. Just be careful you don't get more than your hands full. Some of these horses don't have a synopsis left in their brains and you can certainly get hurt on them.

I can say that I've never gone through them to obtain any horses. I guess when you've been involved in that world for so long, people just sort of seek you out to ensure that the "good ones" go to a home that will be a nice forever, get-to-be-a-horse home. My husband no longer allows me to answer the phone.

My stallion has a similar sad story as well. What makes him superbly nice for me is that his paint pedigree has both TB and QH...so, having the QH and TB mares...I get the best of both worlds and...I get a chance at color.

I just realized...I don't think I have purposely gone out and looked to buy a horse since I was 19! Wow...they've always found me. Now that's an interesting revelation.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 312
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lena's baby has turned. She's lost that really wide fat appearance and has actually slimmed down. Starting to get that droopy belly thing...boy June 24th sure seems a long time from now.

Tim Popovitz
Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 07:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder...do they tatoo gimooseraffes or do they put on a florescent orange tracking collar instead???

I think either is just fine, However, I would avoid races when you see the outriders sporting tranquilizer darts and Jack Hanna in the starting gate.

wanda
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it is an honor to be considered a member of DUHH team...and yes I would agree with you that I am definitely there...

she has settled down the last couple days and does not seem to be progressing any...but I watch her closely..

I work from home on my laptop and I have just been taking it out to the barn when she is out there and sit and watch her or I sit on my deck and work while she is in the pasture...it is actually really nice..I feel like I am bonding with her and our other horse that we just rescued (7 yr old quarter horse, almost starved to death) a lot more by just being there with them...

Amanda...your filly is a QT pie...congrats!!

Bobbi...I don't know which one is worse...knowing the due date or not knowing...LOL

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating Bobbi. You've mentioned several times about the state of mind or what's left of their brain cells when they come off the track. What is it that happens to these horses or what is done to them that whacks them out so? I'm not familiar with racing, as you can tell, and (I almost feel silly saying this) have never been to a track in my life. Gee, I'm wondering now what rock I've been living under!
Now, rodeo's, that is a different story....but of course, growing up in Texas gambling on races wasn't legal until not too many years back.

Considering there is Lone Star Park only 30 minutes away, that takes me back to the rock I live under! I have been there for their veterinary hospital though. My Percheron colt had a small intestinal impaction last November at the age of 14 months. He spent a week there and we almost lost him but they were able to pull him through. I can say the doc's there were the best not only in treating him but in treating me!!! I was a basket case. They called me twice a day with updates on his progress or some days it was the lack of. I couldn't go see him for several days as I was convinced I was going to lose him and didn't think I could bear seeing him before...well, you know what. Here is a pic after I finally decided I had to see him again even if it was to say a emotional gut wrenching good-bye.
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj15/PurpleMidnight06/PonyBoy003.jpg
He is currently in training under harness and doing great.

Wanda you are right, it is an honor to be a member of this wonderful group of DUHH'ers!!!!

I'm still catching up on posts here. Terry your colt is GINORMOUS...he is a Giraffe! I love his color..so rich.

CJ - foal yet?? The wireless camera & receiver I bought off Ebay is ruined. When the barn flooded two nights ago I washed it out into the driveway...and yes, it was plugged in and working!!

Laurie sounds like it won't be long!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 306
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy, no baby yet. Thanks for asking. So sorry about your flood! Sometimes I feel insulated here in CA., shielded from very bad weather. It gets windy at times, but that's about it. the heat is the worst thing I have to worry about. That is why I don't have to have a barn-although I want one. Occasional floods happen in this area, but the damage is minimal in most cases. In other parts of CA. that is not the case.

Anyway, she's looking about the same. I was a little excited this morning when her vulva looked a little longer, but I swear, after I peeked under her tail, she sucked it back up!!!!!!!!!
But I know she will eventually foal. I've backed off some, because the DUHHfactor is making me crazy. I only got up in the middle of the night to check on her twice.

I do think about Sunday, she'll foal. Don't know why, just a gut feeling. Like I haven't had those before! LOL

Bobbi, thanks and I want to go work in foaling barn too!

Enjoyed your story. It would be fun to start a new site and call it??? What? Four legged friend stories?

Okay ya' all, I gotta get some other things done, like getting this stupid camera working! Errrrrrrrrrrr! I think it will come in handy even if I don;t get it up before the foaling, as I can use it to keep an eye on the mare and foal!

Okay Tim, I'm asking you to come up with a syndrome for after the foaling, when we don't want to take our eyes off them, and think everything means something, even if we don't know what!!

Who owns Rita? Didn't see a name for the post. Sounds like she is getting very close, huh? Or has she foaled yet?

Wanda, we're glad to have you. Most of us would probably be committed if we couldn't communicate on this board. My gosh, every "sign" seems to me to be the beginning of foaling. Well, yes she is progressing, in her own sweet time. But she is only 335 (?) days I think. So baby is getting some weight on it. More time to mature. So long as she doesn't go past 350, I think I'll be okay with it. After that, I'll worry that it might be too big for her.

In the past, she's foaled without problems, as far as I know. So at least I'm not worried about that so much.

These beautiful creatures capture our hearts and just won't let go!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 317
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wanda: Not knowing the due date is worse...hahaha! Been there with ya baby! Its like a terrible late night game show where you are humiliated every night with the wrong answer! Especially with maidens whose sole purpose in life is to humiliate you and make you stupid with all that wealth of knowledge you are supposed to know.

Cyndy: WOW! Your boy is incredible! And Healthy! And just plain drop dead georgous! You are a lucky soul...played the game and you won it! (We all like it when things go wrong and we win!)

As far as the racing world...omg...it would take all day to go through the multiple factors that make these TBs loose their minds. But, in all fairness, its not just racing, certainly as you know in the rodeo world, there are lots of horses in that type of sport (and I'm sure in jumping and other aggressive sport careers) that just can't deal with the stress in the long run. My vet that I was a vet tech for many years ago used to call it the "vietnam syndrome" in my horses. That is, when placed under stress they go into a different time and a different world...I suppose its like flashbacks or panic attacks. You just learn to work around them by avoiding them. These animals, in my experience, also are real people oriented. I suppose its because they spend so much time being handled from birth (look how big Tim/Jon's foaling staff is versus us lil ole folks) to the end of their career. They're almost lost without people and believe it or not, the ones I have dealt with don't have alot of self confidence off the track. They can run a mile but they can't step over a puddle without breaking into a stress-induced sweat.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK!!! Can it get ANY more frustrating!

Blossom (Moose's mommy) is in heat and yes, she has an entire 14 acres to her green grass eating pleasure but noooooo...she just backed up to the barbed wire fence and my stallion just breed her through the fence!!!!!!

You should see the back of my stallions legs...that will be a week of treating him now!

And that would be why Echo is in a field that has a field in the middle between her and the stallion. I think I better find a solution (embryo transplant or AI soon) quickly or Echo's going to be the next one whether she or I are ready or not.

Got to love a stallion that is driven by testosterone. He will literally kill himself to oblige a floosy mare!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 319
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted this on this topic ONLY because I believe I have just seen "foaling signs" with Blossom...they're just 339 days away.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 322
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know...I would post up my video of Moose's delivery on here (it was filmed by my daughter on her phone and somewhat spliced together...there are some gaps that interesting things occurred and aren't on film) but I'm afraid it would freak all of your DUHH induced stress factors out! It is pretty funny listening to my daughter doing the whole "PUSH" and "GET UP" thing...funny, because I'm at Blossom's backend telling her to lay back and relax...poor confused mare! Its no wonder they want to do this alone!

Valerie Myers
Yearling
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still waiting, 337 days, fully bagged, swollen and tight for about a week and a half, yellowish liquid, loose vulva.. due on 4/28, Monday. Where's the baby? I'm so excited I can hardly stand my own skin!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 324
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: YOU ALWAYS HAVE AN ANSWER FOR EVERYTHING!

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi...LOL..well at least you know it happened and you can mark the calendar...I just sit here and twiddle my thumbs and wander...hmmm I sure do wish I had a date or something to base this off of...I don't know if I should be worried..is she due...is she not due...if I have to go 60 days..I am gonna loose my mind...I don't know how you all have done it this long...11 months +/- that is way too long for me...I go crazy if I have to wait 11 minutes for something...

tick..tock.tick..tock..

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Bobbi!!!
Sounds like you may have just become a Mommy again! More DUHH time!!!

Valerie Myers
Yearling
Username: Libertybelle

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Bobbi, I came home night before last and found one of the neighbors' stallions in my big pasture with my 23 yr old gelding and my 2 yr old filly! We're any minute away from one foal, I hope he didn't breed my 2 yr old or we'll be doing this again next year at this time!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda: Clock=torture! You HAVE lost your mind. Poor dear! But, hey, the good news...its wonderful over here on the demented side!

Cyndy: So...here's the deal...I didn't want to breed her on foal heat because I was worried my stallion would kill the baby and until the barn is finished in the next few weeks, I didn't have a place to put baby all tucked away from harm's way. So...floosy mare is now gonna kill my stallion. Or, at least damage enough that he'll end up being a backlegged double amputee. Can you say....YOU ARE NOT PREPARED BOBBI!!!

Valerie: Welcome to the 2009 Foal Watch. There is only ONE reason neighbor's stallions come to visit...and it AIN'T your gelding!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 329
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda: Hey...no matter what...you'll have company. I'm here until at least June!

Cyndy Wiser
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh heh heh and you'likely be hangin' out in the March and/or April 2009 Foalwatch too!!!!!

Say Bobbi...you don't think Moose was hangin' around while his floosy mama was warming up the oven to bake him a little brother or sister do ya?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 05:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: I KNOW he was...and you know his brain functions on a lower speed than most...he was probably like...what's that smell??? what's that noise??? wow, that big horse hasn't figured out about barbed wire and even I'VE got that figured out...he must be REALLY dumb! OH...he's my dad??? Really??? Wow...he's a few french fries short of a happy meal too huh????

wanda
Neonate

Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe some changes...I wandered if I would know it when I saw it but I think I am right you tell me..she is dropping in the rump.. holding her tail out...she has been stretching out all day and I can see she her kinda like strain as if she has gas or has to go poo..are these good signs???
I took some pics...the one where she is looking at me..you can tell the baby is all lopsided in her and she is making a face...she is really uncomfortable..here are the pics..

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie030.j pg
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie032.j pg
http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll245/detrow2/?action=view&current=annie032.j pg

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2008 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda,
Your mare is gorgeous! The pastures where your horses are looks so awesome! I live in San Diego, but nothing like that!

Cyndi, Your boy is special and I can see it in his eyes as well as yours! I lost my boy of 19years in 2006! I had him for 17 of those years and how I loved him!! Recently i acquired a new addition to my family of 6 his name is Prophecy I got him up in Utah! He is such a gentleman and I just love him to death Ive had him almost a year! His Sire was *Nariandni who I bred with my Muscat grand daughter! WE SHALL SEE...

SPRING IS 22 AND I'M AWAITING THE FOAL's ARRIVAL NOW!PLEASE FOAL!!!

OK everyone take care! Emily any changes??

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 311
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, lovely mare! Nice folage around too.

I am a novice, but to me she looks hollow and elongated. I hope you and a few others of us, get foals tonight! Especially the DUHHers who are working a regular week shedule.

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys!

We were very fortunate to find this place when we got it..and it was already set up for the horses..Can you believe the rescue just gave us this horse...

She is showing a lot of signs in just the latter part of the day...

poor thing is all over her stall, sweating to death, drinking water faster than I can fill her buckets practically, shifting weight back and forth..biting at stomach a lot, rump hollowed, dropped considerably, and I thought she looked elongated too...oh yeah and I checked her teats...she is bagging up and I got a little bit of clearish stuff out...two of my kids decided they would stay up and sit in the barn with me tonight but they both fell asleep within 1/2 hour LOL so I just brought them in and I am heading back out in a few to keep watch..I have the cameras ready...

Bobbi,,maybe I won't be here until June...but I will keep checkin in with ya even if I"m not...;0)

I am hoping for a filly...but will love either..

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 02:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Wanda! I forgot to mention, my mare drank lots more water yesterday and today and she had a "cow pie this evening!" How much before labor does that usually happen? Any progress is good, yes?

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 03:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck Wanda! Laurie-no changes yet! Although one side of my mare's bag is bigger than the other... normal, anyone?? Cj, my mare has been doing that too! Maybe we're close :-)

wanda
Nursing Foal

Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well...no Baby... she was miserable... she definitely bagged up, she was ringing wet with sweat all night.(which she sweats easily anyway) the baby was very active last night..it looked like it was running in her!! LOL she is close..I would have bet money she would have delivered last night but I think it was my presence...she is not used to be hanging out in the barn with her in the middle of the night...my son & I stayed out until 3:30 this morning but she was too curious why we were out there and wouldn't relax so we came in and checked on her in a few hours...
She is drinking lots more water...I filled her water buckets up like 3 times last night and I keep (2) 5 gallon buckets in there at night for her...but she can drink one bucket in one drink...LOL

CJ...sounds like you might be getting close...I think I read somewhere they said the stool would soften... Keep us posted.....

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Yearling

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rita foaled last night around 7pm. Started waxing about 1 hr before she foaled. http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/4-25-08bag.jpg
It went pretty fast after that. I posted in birth announcements
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/rita/4-25-08013.jpg
Linda

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fabulous, congratulations!
Colt or filly?

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is awesome Linda!!! Congrats....sweet picture..looks like mama was taking good care of baby!! ;0)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 316
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, what an awesome picture! Very sweet. Congrats!! Glad one of our group's babies "arrived." Glad it went well. Would love to see more pics later when we can see more of it. Looks like a very nice color.

Question, was that milk or wax? I saw wax on mine-had to be, but was tiny little hard and almost see through, little ball at end of teat. So is that milk or wax on the picture? And thank-you for posting it.

Linda Bauer --Rita foaled 4/25
Yearling

Post Number: 70
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip
That is wax, The hour before she didnt have any, so she waxed quite a bit in that short time.
There are more pics under birth announcements
Oh yea its a COLT

Regena B
Neonate

Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 01:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm still waiting on Suzy... we're at day 332 now. Still showing the same signs - Muscle relaxation, full udders (still expressing amber-colored liquid though, no milk yet), and she now has the "flat sides" and the "V" that everyone speaks of. The sleep deprivation is killing me!! But I'm still excited.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited for you too, Regina. Sounds good! Here's hoping it happens very soon.

I haven't checked the announcements yet. Any new foals?

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am still waiting on my big girl to give it up too!!! she is showing every sign in the world...she is killing me,,,I can't stand it! LOL
I am having trouble trying to think of names...any suggestions anyone??? maybe we should start a new post for that..I have never had to name a horse before...I would like something unique...the baby was a surprise we had no idea she was still pregnant when we adopted her.(the rescue told us she miscarried and was no longer pregnant) So maybe something to symbolize that..we feel like we have been give a huge gift..I would love to hear any ideas...;0)

Thanks...did anybody foal last night???

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda what is your mares name? Do you have a farm name? Sounds like a fun one to try to name! What breed is she? I seem to remember this story about a draft horse,is that her?

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana..No we don't have a farm name...Annie is my mare's name and she is a Percheron...we think and according to the vet also that she is about 11 yrs old. We fostered her for a while before the rescue took her back to their farm so we could wean her then filly...but then they adopted out the filly and shortly after that they told us she miscarried and if we want her that we could have her...so we did...
My daughter was talking about a friend of hers that has a little girl named Ava...I kinda like that..but not sure...just thought someone on here might have some names they haven't got to use and I might like...

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 347
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a thread for names for foals. Don't remember the exact heading, but should be prety easy to find under the major heading of "foaling and post foaling issues," or whatever it is. It is the same link that this thread is under. You might get more ideas there.

By the way, I love draft horses! They are so beautiful.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 304
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 08:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, how about
Annie's Taken By Surprise
or
Unexpectedly Ava

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 305
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 08:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, did you know, Wanda, that AVA is German for "desireable"?

wanda
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Diana...I did not know Ava meant desirable! That is really neat!

I have no idea if my Annie was ever registered..she was a rescue from a farm somewhere in Ohio they were gonna send her and her half sister with their young foals to slaughter auction..the rescue went and took them both..but no information was really exchanged when they took them...so I don't know..but would say probably not... I love her regardless...I would love to have her half sister too but the rescue was holding on to her until she foaled to see what it was..if it was a colt they were gonna keep it if not they were gonna let them both go...they said the foal was still born...they gave me my Annie thinking she was no longer in foal..so now I don't know what to do...if I should tell them or not...but when she came back to me she was not in good condition..lost a ton of weight(2-300lbs) and I have worked since January to get her to look good again not knowing I was feeding 2..she eats grass all day, she gets 6 flakes of hay(more now..that I know) and 10lbs of grain (high protein/fat) now the vet said to increase the grain and keep hay available at all times and let her graze all day...so that is what we are doing..
What would you all do if you had to decide to tell the rescue....I am really torn...I see it from both sides..I don't know what their reaction would be but I am affraid they would want to claim the foal..but I feel that they have given her to us and they don't have any claims on her or the baby..she was pregnant when they rescued her..they didn't have her bred...give me your thoughts...maybe I should put this in another post..

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1479
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda~I actually know that some one sold a mare that a was bred but the vet said that she was open and she was pregnant and had a filly and the new owner got to claim both of them.

I would read you rescue contract. If it does not ask for updates I don't believe you are under any obligation to update unless you are getting rid of the mare.

Let us know what happens

wanda
Weanling

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's just it...this is just a rescue that is kinda backwoods..and they didn't do a contract..they just loaded her and brought her over and said good luck, hope you enjoy her and that was pretty much it...I thought we would have a contract but they said they didn't have any....so I am affraid it would be their word against mine!! I might have emails though...I think I will print them out for record!!

Thanks for letting me know about the ohter case though!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 01:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that you became the proud sole owner of her and the foal when you took posession and would not give a second thought with out a contract.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 04:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wanda, I agree with Jan. With nothing in writing, the foal is your's period. I think it would be anyway, unless they specifically wrote that if in foal, it is their's. Even at that, they'd have to reimburse for your costs.

Enjoy!

wanda
Weanling

Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jan & cj for your thoughts

Yeah..I have but a lot of thought into it and I don't want to over think it .. I think they will just be happy for us and so I have decided to tell them...I am not going to hide it, they are good people..I do ? why she had lost so much weight before we got her back but I have been to their farm and all their horses are very well taken care of and all in good weight...so we will see!! I almost wander if they thought she was the one that miscarried just because she dropped weight all of a sudden and they had found the aborted fetus in their pasture...but they bring in all rescue horses so it could have been any one of the other horses and the horse just didn't show signs of pregnancy before then...

I will keep you all updated once I hear back from them...

Falicia Pitman
Neonate
Username: Dynaco3

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi new to sight! Have a mare that is due anytime now teats are full, she is going from side to side on rear leg, not eating as much she is also staying close to barn. Have had no sleep in 3 days, first time foal for me. This is her 3rd foal. Any suggestions to help!!!

Brandi Thompson
Yearling
Username: Brandit

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drink lots of coffee!

My mares have been driving me crazy and keeping me up all night for almost 2 weeks. Both are at day 348 today. I have no idea when they'll foal, but everynite she does something different that I thinks a sign that keeps me out there all night! You can go to the foal watch 2008-2009 and join the crowd of us mommy's to be. My mares are Dixie and Coco. I feel your pain. Good luck.

Leanne H
Weanling
Username: Cntrygal4life80

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare is closen in on 300 day and is showing signs .. ive caught her a few times biting at her sides.. she would stop eating and walk away and stand for a while.. shes resting her legs back and forth .. she watches her stomach alot.. i seen her stretchen her neck up like shes sniffin the air.. shes a maiden mare and im first timer too lol.. i try to keep eyes on her alot.. dad said she was laying down alot today.. so i dunno if shes going to be closer to her 320 day i dunno.. maybe im just to excited LOL its been a long crazy wait LOL..

DTQH
Neonate
Username: Dtqh

Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 09:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, I'm jumping aboard this thread hoping for some peace of mind!

CONGRATS to all who's wait is over and you have beautiful new babies!

My mare, on the other hand, is taking the "April fools" day thing too far! LOL

She spent another restless night, as did I. She is soft in the back end, had the hollows in her hip bones yesterday. Then she started pacing around, not eating, urinating frequently. Now she has no hollow hip bones. They are full again. Does this mean baby has moved back?

Also, she did not lay down at all yesterday like she normally does, and did not lay down all last night. Any idea why she won't lay down? Has anyone seen this before? She rests standing, but she looks exhausted. Her bag is filling quite rapidly too, but being a maiden, I was advised not to go soley off of her bag.

Any info would be great, and I'm really curious as to the not laying down thing.

Thanks a bunch!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 218
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTQH,

You are going to have a baby very soon. Within 48 hours just by your discription. Good luck and have fun.

Jon

I would guess tonight, but she is a maiden and they don't follow the rules.

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTQH: Where are you in gestation length (days wise). I'm willing to bet you're close like Jonathan says. But he's sooooo right, maiden's don't play by the rules. I had TWO maidens last year, one was two weeks past the standard gestation time, the other one was two weeks early and gave absolutely no "typical" signs. So maidens are a grab bag of guesses and they will exhaust you and your patience level like no other! LOL! Best advice, sleep whenever you get 10 minutes to spare, you're gonna need it.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 219
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 05:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DTQH,

Forgot to mention. When a mare starts urinating frequently it is a sign that the foal is in position. When they are in position to enter the canal they are laying right on top of the bladder. When they enter they will start trying to urinate, but only get a small dribble out and you are really really close!

DTQH
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you so very much! She is back to laying down today, and there are now hollows in front of her hip bones again.

Is that why she didn't lay down? She was close?

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, April 01, 2009 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually it is just the foal in a bad position. Can be close or sometimes just foal has a foot in a bad spot.

DTQH
Neonate

Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi... I honestly have no idea what day we are on. She came to me in foal, so it's a guessing game! I have been sleeping when I can, just like you suggested! Thanks so much!

Jonathan, you have been a huge help, thank you! One more question though... why does the area in from of her hip bones go from being hollow and sunken in, to full and round? It can change a couple times during the day?

Thanks again for easing my mind!!

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, April 02, 2009 - 02:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Foal is moving around and puts pressure. If they fill out and stay the foal is in position.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 881
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 12:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. Well, I was watching a mare assigned to me at the community college I'm at. Let me just say that I tested her milk for calcium. Two days before foaling it was still around 200-250. Her flank was hollow, but her croup was not. Her tail was very loose. Bag had been very full for two weeks.

At 4:00pm last Sunday, we decided to turn her out in the pasture with her broodmare buddies for a bit, as she had been stall bound for almost three weeks, except for coming out everyday for some attention.

I returned at 6:30pm to find I had missed the foaling by literally, 5 minutes! She foaled out in the pasture. There were people present and all was well. It is her third foal.

But my main point is this: At 4:00 pm she had NO sign that she was in labor! I saw nothing. She trotted into the pasture, rolled, went off to eat with her friends, and popped her little filly out after dinner. She was pasture bred and supposed to deliver by March 17th. Go Figure!

So Jonathan, what did I miss?

By the way, I did try the milk on the black surface thing and it was opaque and we could not see through it, the day before and the day she foaled. But they ran out of calcium strips, so she wasn't tested for calcium for two days prior to foaling.

I have one more that I am watching. She will definitely foal in the pasture, so chances of catching that one are especially slim.

To DTQH, I wish you the best. I know that they can make ya nuts! Hope all goes well and she foals within 3 hours from now so you have some hope of getting some sleep tonight! LOL And welcome. This is a great site.

Jonathan Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj,

Some are like that! We have had 2 this week that did almost nothing and I almost missed. One layed down and broke water. I mean that was all she did. She had ran milk for a few days, but nothing else changed. No one will every catch all of them. I have noticed that it usually the tougher mares that don't show a lot.

DTQH
Neonate

Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, thanks so much for your welcome! You are right, this is a great site, and I have learned so much. I have enjoyed reading your posts!

She is more full in the flanks again, did not lay down again last night. She picks at her hay a bit, but is only halfway bagged up. I think I am more worried about her as the foal is not mine. Also, she is an 11.2hh Welsh mare that had a romantic get together with a 15hh Arab stallion. Silly pony!

I'll just have to keep an eye on her. Her Vulva is longer today, and kind of sticks out now. Her butt wiggles like jello when she walks. I know it'll happen when it happens... it's the waiting and hoping all is well that's tough!

Thanks again for everything!

Bobbi Govro
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1295
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi CJ! Nice to see you!

Rusti - Chilli due 4-09
Yearling
Username: Rusti

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, April 03, 2009 - 02:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I think Chilli might be in stage 1 labor! Go check her foal watch thread!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 884
Posted on Saturday, April 04, 2009 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great Rusti!

Jon, that makes me feel a little better. Even the pro almost misses it? Damn these mares are good!!

DTQH: Sounds like you are close! Hang in there!

Bobbi: I've been having major internet connection problems. Think they are fixed now.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 896
Posted on Thursday, April 09, 2009 - 02:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot Jon; there was one more "sign." She had a "cow pie" in her stall before I let her out. I was planning to watch for more when I put her back in, but she foaled 2 hours later in the pasture. Guess I ought to have paid more attention. I don't recall that her sides changed, but I might not have looked close enough. Sooooo I guess maybe she did give me some indication that she was very close, and I just didn't take it as seriously as she did! LOL

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US