SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Foaling sounds?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Foaling sounds? « Previous Next »

Emily S
Breeding Stock
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I'm sleeping in the stall next to my mare, who's due any day now. When they're in labor, do they usually make noise? Like grunting or moaning?

Jonathan Smith
Weanling
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

grunting, groaning, moaning, whinnying, even some do some roaring.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if none of that wakes you, you'll probably hear the water break

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 222
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which sounds like a river....

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry, that is too funny! I guess we should have our high wadders on, huh?

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some other sounds you may hear: stumbling, you usually hear this as the foal begins to poke through the cervix and the mare tucks her hind end up under her, it can be violent at times and causes them to stumble a bit.

Thier poop goes from a thump thump when it hits the stall floor, to a splat, splat. This means they are beginning to empty-out inpreparation of foaling.

I just realized that 90% of my posts have something to do with poop....I realy should get out more.

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 533
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim you are just to funny!! LOL :-)

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 63
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've also had mares 'talk'(as is whinny) to the foals before or while they are foaling.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't help myself, I must post. Once again, I find myself on the floor laughing! In my case, not only was their grunting and as Paul mentions...my mare whinnied to her baby has she was foaling...but you may hear your 24 year-old daughter saying, "Push Blossom, push!" "Breath Blossom, breath." I'm sending her and the mare to Lamaz class next year!

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 536
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good grief!! Between Tim and you, Bobbi, who needs tv!! I'll just come here and read if I want a good laugh!!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Breeding Stock
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi that sounds about right! as Swan was foaling and I was puling that baby I found myself falling into my breathing exersises from my Lamaz classes. That was 4yrs ago! I didn't know I was doing it tell I heard this strange noise. It was me and Swan keeped looking at me like I was crazy. Next time I think I will just let the mare do the laber thing and try to stay out of it!! I to kept telling her to push!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tahra: That is SOOOOOO funny!

Terry Waechter 5 march foals
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 226
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a sound, but a sight...when Europa was in labor she had such strong contractions she would drop her hind end into a crouch position...it happened several times and I realized this was IT. She only laid down once, water broke and baby was there immediately. She looked like a reining horse coming full tilt into a sliding stop.

Jo Angela Stirewalt
Breeding Stock
Username: Raknrydr

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare was breathing VERY hard.

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 116
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol wow. I had no idea that you can actually hear the water break... Crazy!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 128
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the laughs you all. Glad we have a few comedians on board! How would we manage if we didn't have humor? I'd be a nut case for sure!

Sorry to hear that cow pies happen before foaling. No cow pies from my mare. Can't we make them drink caster oil or something? By the way, they stuff tastes horrid!! I probably wouldn't wish that on her even if I could get her to drink it!

For those who might not know, caster oil used to be said to induce labor for those who were at full term. Many years ago I tried it. It only made me throw up! I still had to wait two more weeks before I had a baby. They also used to give it to sick children for whatever ailed them. Yuck!!

Emily S
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yuck!!!!! LOL!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US