SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare in labor?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare in labor? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, so much for sleeping tonight. I think my girl is in labor. She raises her tail and seems to be straining. She bites at her side now and then and is restless.

Of course the brand new spot light I bought doesn't work. I finally turned on the car lights and shined them into the corral.

But mare is still eating! I came out at about ten thirty. She seemed normal. Decided one more check before bed at about 11:30. That's when I noticed the tail up sevceral times. So I wrapped it and am sitting here in the cold with my lap top. Got wireless through verizon. It's great! But I can't see real well-so pleae forgive typos and so on.

Anyway, I'll let you know!

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ, let us know, please

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sending good foaling vibes your way!

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 266
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anything???

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj....anxiously awaiting a report of whatever happened :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 112
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Did you freeze out there last night? I'm with Jan...whatzzzz up??? Baby???

Oh, by the way, my mares NEVER stopped eating. They ate right up to the moment. I guess I have greedy little girls, they will not do without their food for nothin' or nohow!

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No baby yet. Yes, I froze! Finallyu figured out I could join my dog in the warm car and shine the headlights on the corral. Unfortunatelyl, I don't have a barn, but am making a semi-box stall today.

I was too tired last night to go through the chats (got to write this stuff down). But I did find a quick cheat sheet online.

I guess it is first stages. According to site, can last from 2-24 hours? She seemed to slow down with the car lights on her, but I had no choice.

Anyway, she let me touch her teat! Yeah-and it is clear. I don't have the test strips. She has been pooping a lot and peeing normally, I think. I wonder if she isn't just in the first stage? I imagine that shouldn't last much longer, as she is not a maiden.

Her disposition is not much different; perhaps a little more standoffish than normal. But loves those treats! LOL

The past few days she has been extra hungry. The tail head is prominent. She kept raising her tail and shifting her weight from one rear leg to the other during that time. She never laid down. She also pushed her butt against the rails.

I finally came in around 6:30 am. I knew my roommate would be going out to feed her lamb and would let me know if anything looked unusual. I slept till 11:00.

Right now she isn't showing signs much at all. I'm putting a call into the vet as soon as they get off lunch break. Thanks for all your support.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Aww...you're close. You know what the vet's gonna say...(hehe..experience talking here)...you may be ready, mom may be ready but until baby's ready everyone will just have to wait. You are getting close. Warmth is a good thing. I spent the last 2 weeks braving rain, ice, snow and wind only to be completely surprised by both my births. They had them when they acted their most normal.

Don't feel bad, I have a really nice 8 stall horse barn (complete with 2 state of the art foaling stalls) that was supposed to have been done by January 23rd. It sure is pretty in my field lacking the last 3 center trusses and metal. My poor babies had to birth in the fields this year and yes, they are now currently standing out there in the rain as well. Now, when my last mare foals in June...she will have the whole new barn to herself. Of course, it'll be 130 degrees and 130 percent humidity and she won't need it, but so much for timing!

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I shouldn't complain too much about the cold. I do live in CA. No snow. Hasn't rained for awhile. I do feel for all you who have to be out in it. I have lived in cold places and it ain't no fun breaking ice in order to give the horses water!! Burrrrrrrrrh!

Bobbi, it is encouraging to know you think she is getting close. I'd hate to have to do this for three+ weeks!

The vet said it is "normal" pre-foaling stuff. LOL! Just like you said. he'd say. "Maybe she will and maybe she won''t." But he will come out tomorrow morn and if she hasn't foaled he might be able to shed some light on it.

I'M DETERMINED TO BE THERE FOR THE FOALING! I gave her fair warning. Now I'll see if she heeds it! HaHa

She's been quiet today. Was very interested in the stall I'm making out of a pole corral. I hired a guy to help put three foot high boards all around the inside, except for one side that has the hog wire on it. Drilled holes and fastened it with plastic fastners. It turned out okay. Will keep the foal and the bedding in, and the goats out! But I have no cover for it.

Anyway Bobbi, as they say, it is the thought that counts. You tried to get your mares four star foaling quarters. Just think of how they will all appreciate it next year!

Tracy, please keep sending those good foaling thoughts my way. And thank-you all for the support. I will keep you posted.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I mention that when I squeezed her teat there was milk colored fluid coming out? I wanted to squeeze out more to be sure, but she politely pulled one foot forward. I thought, "warning, warning," let it go. But the one drop I got was white. Yup, I expect it will be another long night-but then again, she has to be at least as tired as I am, so perhaps she'll have it soon to get me to leave her alone. But ha! She has no idea what this (my) first baby is in for! Poor mare will never get any rest for at least the first two weeks! I'd bring the baby into my house if I could!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cj: I will bet that before the weekend is up, you will be rewarded for your efforts. I have yet to ever "milk" my mares prior to foaling. I spend a great deal of touching them in case after foaling I need to save colostrum. I milk them after the foal drinks the first time just to make sure there is something in there. I've just had mares that drip prior to foaling and like my two maidens this year, have had nothing until they foaled. I know alot of people on the board do this to judge when the foal comes but I still stand by only mother nature knows when that foal is ready. And you know what they say, its not nice to fool mother nature.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that the foal will probably be here before the weekend is up :-) I do check my mare's milk in the am and pm when she's getting close. Just a drop or two. It has been extremely accurate for me. I find that it will go from skim milk to a little darker then finally thick white whole milk. Once it turns to that whole milk the mare will usually foal within 24 hours.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US