SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Okay-when do you "little guys" start foal watch?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Okay-when do you "little guys" start foal watch? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So my mare is due in about three weeks. Should I set the alarm for every two hours from now until foaling, to be sure I catch it? I've been reading the posts for weeks now and see there are so many different signs, or none, to tell us if our mares will deliver soon.

So for those of you who have only a few mares or less, and no one to help watch them, what do you do? When do you start vigilance? Of course, anyone can answer this, but I just thought the big barns would have plenty of people checking often. I just wanted some suggestions from the average breeder. No offense to the big barns!

Hey Tim and Johnathan, what do you do for the rest of the year? Just wondering. Hope you get some nice bonuses and time off!!

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 02:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

I don't have any wisdom to offer. Without the help of those around me (Jon, Joe and many others) I would be lost. I never even considered what it would be like to have only myself to depend on until I joined this discussion group. So, no offense taken. On the contrary, those of you that manage to foal these mares out with little or no help have earned my unending respect.

As for after foaling season. That's when the real work begins.

Jonathan Smith
Nursing Foal
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some of us!

Michelle Richardson
Weanling
Username: Carefreemom

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, I have the same question. My mare is "due" around the first of May. She is showing a few signs of progression but I am worried she will foal without the "proper" signs. I have a foal cam so I have the luxury of watching from my house but when and how soon to start the official foalwatch. As asked before I would love advise on this. I know it will vary but anything is appreciated!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 02:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only a few (4 to 6) foaling mares a year, and I typically start watching closely about 3 weeks prior to "due date". Watching closely meaning, look for bagging, vulva changes, croup and tail to change. I like to watch the mares at least an hour a day on the barn cam (at the same time every day, usually a couple of hours after dark)just to get an idea of their 'usual' routine. I have one mare who never shows any outward "signs" of foaling...never bags up, no changes in vulva or croup...she does it all just prior to foaling...and the only way to catch her foaling is to watch her routine daily. When she refuses dinner and stands in the same corner of the stall for an entire day, I know it's time and don't take my eyes off her. I would suggest waiting until many of the "signs" are showing, because I believe typical mares do bag, and have elongated vulvas, and their hips fall away and go flat. When the bag is full, and the teats are pointing strait down, and everything looks very shiny and tight...I don't take my eyes off them. I don't look for waxing, because It's not a very reliable indicator to me( I've never seen a mare wax on my farm). It's really hard to say when to "watch" vigilantly....it's very dependant on the mare...as you may have one who exhibits all the typical signs , and others who do NOTHING BUT change the corner of the stall they stand in. And even then, they'll stump you! But it's a fun game isn't it?????!!!!!

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle and Cjskip, will either of your mares let you take their tempature? If so, then what I suggest is to start taking it now, morning and night at feeding time. Write it down. After about a week you will be able to get their average morning and evening temps(you should notice that their morning temp will be lower than their evening temp). When their ready to foal their evening temp will be about the same as their morning temp. My mares average morning temp was 99.9, and her average evening temp was 100.2. The night she foaled her evening temp was 99.2. My mare was a maiden and didn't have much of a bag. Her hind end did soften up some, and her tail did have less resistance when I lifted it, and her vulva was very relaxed. I also noticed a couple of days before she foaled that she had some small loose piles of poop. She didn't wax, but had droplets of clearish yellow colostrum on her teats a couple of days before she foaled. Here are some pics that may help. Side view 2 1/2hrs before foaling http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0320082032.jpg Side view 3 weeks before foaling http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0227081736b.jpg Vulva 4 days before foaling http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0316081955.jpg 1 day before foaling http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0319080835a.jpg udder at 325 days http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/100_0089.jpg Day 337 (day before foaling) http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/0319081739b.jpg Hope this helps

Michelle Richardson
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene and Diana- Thanks for the advise and pics. It is great to hear how it went for others, hopefully I will be able to read her signs if any and be abe to be there!
Thanks!
Michelle

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you all. Tim, I think Johnathan is trying to tell you something! LOL!!

Charlene, thanks for the pics. You have a pretty mare. I can see the elongation of the vulva you spoke of. My mare's is a little wobbly, but not elongated. I'm looking for the signs though and wondered about taking a temp. I think I'll try that.

Initially, I'd planned to sleep by her corral. I still may, but it is still cold at night. We'll see though.

Michelle, glad to know I'm not alone! LOL. Isn't this site great???

Thanks to you all, from the bottom of my heart, for taking time to answer novice questions and trying to wade through some long posts. The thanks goes out to all on this site! Perhaps I will live through this after all-even if I'll be a babbling maniac!

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 88
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you all. Tim, I think Johnathan is trying to tell you something! LOL!!

Charlene, thanks for the pics. You have a pretty mare. I can see the elongation of the vulva you spoke of. My mare's is a little wobbly, but not elongated. I'm looking for the signs though and wondered about taking a temp. I think I'll try that.

Initially, I'd planned to sleep by her corral. I still may, but it is still cold at night. We'll see though.

Michelle, glad to know I'm not alone! LOL. Isn't this site great???

Thanks to you all, from the bottom of my heart, for taking time to answer novice questions and trying to wade through some long posts. The thanks goes out to all on this site! Perhaps I will live through this after all-even if I'll be a babbling lunatic by then!

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate
Username: Rdestiny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 06:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I guess it is time to introduce myself, my name is Gina and I have been watching the very informative posts for about 2 months. My first colt this year was born on 4/2/08, mom showed no signs, except having a full bag and some drop in the croup. 9pm no foal, 10:30pm foal up and nursing. Mares are tricky creatures.
I need your advice, I have already consulted my vet, My mare has been bagged for some time now, due date 4/1/08, she is a 12 year old arab and this is her 2nd foal, her last was 6 years ago, evidently the previous owner said she waxed dripped milk and delivered uneventfully(all within 24 hrs). Now, she has had light wax on and off since the 2nd ( vet saw her on the 3rd) the vet felt she would go in the next 12-24 hrs..nope..heavy wax the past 2 days and milk droplets on the legs, now a thicker whitish as opposed to yellow wax has formed and there appears to be a more opaque milk. I have been checking her every 1-2 hrs and am exhausted, her croup is jello like but does not appear sunken, vaginal wall is darker pink, vulva has been relaxed for a month, she has been biting on her flank for 4 days, rubbing her butt and appears very uncomfortable, turn her out on grass and she moseys along, put her in a stall or dry lot and she doesn't move.She also has some ventral edema extending into the udders.. any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Board Gina...Congrats on your first colt of the year! (Post some pics please :-)) Your other mare sounds ready ready. Probably tonight or within the next 24 hours. Mares do not always repeat themselves. She is a little bit older than she was her first time around. As far as the ventral edema walking my mare helped reduce it along with some cold hosing. Fingers crossed and Positive Foaling Vibes your way!

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how do you add the pic, i only have jpeg and cannot figure hiw to attach the photo.. thank you for the support and the vibes Jan

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hope I did this right
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/Gandi4308029.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/Gandi4308006.jpg

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 523
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Gina!!!! What a lovely colt!!!

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've given a bit of serious thought about how I would approach foaling my own mares, without the full barn staff.

Several years ago, our repo vet started using the FOALERT (www.foalert.com) on his own mares he had on his farm. Of course, being the hands on, sleep-deprived, gotta-see-it-for-myself guy I am, I started poking a bit of fun at him for "cheating", that is until he told me how well they had been working for him. He hadn't missed a foaling all year!!!!

None of us feels good about being replaced by technology (us being the hands-on, sleep-deprived, yadda, yadda, yadda) But, in the absence of constant observation, I would likely give this system a try or at least do a bit of serious research.

I have no experience with the foalert, but the endorsement from this particular gentleman is all I would need to try these things out. Not only is he a FANTASIC reproduction vet, he is also a great horseman.

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gina, welcome and congrats. What a cutie!! Good luck with the second one. I'm sending good vibes too.

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 93
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, sounds interesting, but what the heck is it? I could go online and find out, but it is more fun to ask you and besides, I'm becoming sleep deprived already.

By the way, for those who have seen previous posts of mine; My pipe corral is up. I'm adding three foot boards tomorrow to make it more like a box stall. Thanks to one of our members here, I thought about the possibiltiy of a baby slipping through the bottom and momma not being able to reach it-gave me goosebumps-so boards are going up.

I got the wheat straw. My mare likes eating it better than alfalfa! What am I going to do with her???

Also, isn't the straw a little slippery? Should I put shavings on top of the straw?

I got a flood light, tail wrap, generic colostrum, betadine, towels and rags, a wool blanket, bounce back, fresh water, and other stuff that I don't even remember right now.

Okay, I gotta call it a night. I'm going to be up again in three hours. I'm looking for a good camping cot tomorrow to sleep on, by her corral. I wonder what she'll think of that?

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Isn't there some kind of sensor we can just put to their behinds that we can wire up to a buzzer and when it's time, we get the buzz and go out and catch the little buggers as they drop to the ground?

Of course, that might put Tim's little lurkers out of work-hehe"

That's basically what the foalert is, only it's wireless. I'd like to invent something similar, but incorporate "bluetooth" technology, that way, you could receive text messages from your mares vulva...... and instead of "blue tooth" we could call it........geeze, nevermind, it's late and I'm getting stupid.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1128
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Gina! I agree that your mare sounds like she is close! Gorgeous colt too :-) Do you have pictures of your pregnant mare and the stallion you bred to? We LOVE pics here :-)

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 95
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I did look it up, briefly. Text messaging-hummnn-wonder what they would say? LOL And to name the thing could be tricky! LOL.

By the way, congrats on only losing one foal. That is quite a record. You all must ve doing something right!

I'm watrching my mare push aginxst the bars of her "stall." I wonder if she is going to hold off until I give up and go inside??? HA! Never!! But it looks like a long night. Oh well, let the games begin!

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 175
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJSkip and others - I haven't posted much this year because I don't have any pregnant mares, but I have foaled out about a dozen foals on my ranch. The one thing that has been the most reliable to me - is milking my mares a couple times a day and checking the color. When those few drops turn to a skim milk color, I am on high alert. Of course I watch all the other signs, too. Last year I had 2 maiden mares. I was home for both births, although I missed the second one by minutes. (I normally am at work during the day). Anyway - the best indication for me has always been the color of milk. Not all mares will let you milk them, but I prepare them for that way ahead of time by constantly touching their udder. Good luck to all who are still waiting - keep those pictures coming.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 113
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim: You are hysterical! Some day I'll tell you the "invention" my medical doctor & my ob/gn are working on in conjunction with certain discoveries made during my pig farming. Anyway...

My "other half" says that no one should need a foal cam as long as there is at least one person in the family who has "equine love sickness disease." He says..."My wife would spend a fortune getting one and when it came down to it, she wouldn't trust it anyway, she'd have to go physically check it out so it would be a waste of time and money." Is he talking about lil ole me???

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, by the way..."Why hasn't Bobbi gone away" you may ask. Well, Bobbi is still on "foal watch" but the next one is just a bit further down the pike...June 24th due date.

So, I'll hang around and pester all my friends as their new babies arrive.

My "maternity ward" is now complete for a few weeks. My other first time heifer had a beauty of a mouse grey bull calf at 5:30PM last night and my fav cow, "Spook" gave birth at 8:12PM last night as well to a nice, big black angus bull calf. (I'm 3 for 3 without having to pull one this year yet...Yippee!)

Next round: Last weekend in April, I have 2 sows and 8 gilts all due. Ha! And you thought foaling was stressful! Last April, EVERYBODY had them at the same time. One laid down and started and it was like a domino effect. Our average litter is 10-13...yep, count 'em folks, multiply moms and do the math...OMG! Piglets were nursing from other moms, moms couldn't tell piglets apart so everybody nursed everybody and it was a farming/logistics nightmare to tag piglets to their genetic heritage. I had yellow, orange, blue, and green marking crayons in hand and it was like a really bad game show!

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 527
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I wish I could have seen that. You have a great talent of making everything sound so funny. I meant that in a good way. :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: It was beyond funny...it teetered on that very edge of ultimate redneck. When pigs birth they take on a melodic grunt and it is hysterical when they're all going at the same time accompanied by little "puppy whimpers" from the piglets. I wonder if I recorded it, and I got my daughter to sing a melody, if it would be a big hit on the country charts?!?! Anyway, the funny part is marking them and getting everyone nicked or tagged before labor is through because there ain't nothin' like a protective sow. When they come out of their maternity coma, humans have a sign on their backs that say-LUNCH IS SERVED!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tim/Jonathan: Bet you can't say that you've delivered 130 in ONE day! (10 X 13 average = 130 rounds of bacon!)

Bobbi's feeling a bit taller now that she has ONE thing over Tim & Jonathan!

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 08:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, thats sounds like quite a time you had with those pigs. We don't have any pigs but today we sheared our two alpacas. This year we had the help of our wonderful vet and a few sedatives! When our vet got a emerg call and had to leave (after a very successful go out our first one) we thought we had it all under control!!!! Thats what we thought but this little guy had other plans. He dragged my husand and I up and down the aisle of our barn, jumping and swinging his neck like crazy (usually they are very nice but today he saw an opportunity) I am SO sore!!! But if someone had a video camera we would be on TV. So I feel your pain on the whole redneck thing!!! Note that this was all after 10 sets of teeth floating!!

Anyway.............. Goldie bag has gotten much bigger and has alot more clear fluid. Her vulva is more elongated so we are making progress.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. Love this place and reading these posts!!!

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I'm glad you're sticking around with the rest of us, "waiters." You tell great stories.

I almost don't want to go check my mare; afraid of a repeat of last night. But I must-I must...

Bobbie, I think I have that "equine love sickness disease," too. Don't we all? Otherwise, what would we be doing at 9:30 at night, "chatting," instead of getting some much needed sleep?? LOL

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Bobbi, 130 piglets in one day!!!, That sounds like you had your hams full. I'd also never heard how protective they could be, only that they would seem a little disGRUNTled.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll stop now.

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Yearling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Job Tim, you didn't talk about poop! Is foaling kinda quiet right now?

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 04:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, we haven't had a foal for 2 nights, If I make it until 7am, that will be 3 night IN A ROW without a foal.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michelle: HAHA! Maybe we'll see each other on America's Funniest Home Videos! I was raised on a sheep farm...I can relate to "shear"ing chaos! (See Tim...I too can be witty!) Floating teeth X 10...goodness. We do everyone's annual "stuff" at one time too. Makes for one hearty vet bill but it sure is nice to get everyone out of the way. In fact, Lena, the June-due mare has an abcessed tooth that's causing her a great deal of pain. So, weighing out the two evils, we are going to go ahead and make her sleepy and pull the tooth.

Tim, Tim, Tim...you have had just WAY too much sleep lately. You're little witty brain is far too alert! Protective? DisGRUNTLED? Oh no...they'll bust your CHOPS and not even give you the moment to s"WHINE" about it!

cj: It's a TERRIBLE disease! The outcome of the disease...we accumulate more of them just to make our lives even more complicated and stressed. But on a good day, (can't remember when that was, but...)they are all worth it.

And yes...you will check again, and again, and again. As much as you may think I'm gonna let it go tonight, that churning gut feeling will keep you up until you satisfy that need to go check just "one more time."

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi- That was just the second half on Thurs. We did the other 10 horses, all of our goats (21 to be exact), 3 donkeys and the llama on Tuesday! It has been a long week!! Yet the vet bill is something I do not look forward to!! But in regards to the disease you mentioned I fall hard into that catagory. But with all the love I give them they give it all back to us and our kids! Wouldn't change it for the world.

Also I hope everything goes ok for your mare with the tooth pain. (even thought I think that was on another post)

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, Tim, Cjskip, ya'll are cQUACKING me up!!!! I think I'll go to the feed store and see if they have any left over dyed easter ducklings!!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: Hahaha!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, you got a full three nights of sleep!!! Must be why that mare is keeping you guessing! I'm referring to Johnathan's post on the new thread, "what signs are your mares showing that makes you think she is in labor now?" Or something like that. I started it; you'd think I'd remember the subject title! Anyway did she foal yet? Also, what did the one foal you lost die from, if you don't mind telling us.

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

She foaled at 9:10pm. Bay colt. Tim will tell you about the foals we lost. We just realized that there was a second foal we lost.

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

**Warning, this post will raise your anxiety level if you are not familiar with some of the more severe complications during foaling.**

Cjskip

The one we lost during foaling was due to a HIP LOCK. As you may know, this is the worst place for the foal to get hung-up during the foaling process because they can't take a breath, and the umbilical cord get's pinched so they are not receiving and oxygen from the blood, so they essentially sufficate. We finally got this foal out using several different techniques:

Rotating the foals body to dislodge the hips. This can be risky because you can easily crack and displace a foals ribs twisting them like this. But sometimes, the risk of not doing it is greater.

Inserting an arm inside in an attempt to dislodge the hips. this can be tough and risky too, to both mare and foal.

A whole lot of pulling.

We finally got the foal out, but he wasn't breathing, and had no heart beat. We desperately tried to revive him using chest compressions, a shot of epinepherine directly into the heart, mouth-to nose breathing and Oxygen.

We lost him.

That was 7 years ago. That mare has had several healty foals scince then, but this year she had another hip-lock. We worked to get this little guy out for 30 min using the above techniques. Finally, we forced her stand-up and 4 of us just grabbed this little guy and hung on him and he finally came out. He was unresponsive, not breathing, but had a very faint heart-beat. We gave him 2cc of DOPRAM (a respiratory stimulant) under his tongue and started mouth-to-nose. We continued this for about 5 minutes, nothing. We gave another 2cc dopram in the vein, and really started pushing his lungs with deeper breaths. FINALLY, 20 minutes after foaling, his little nose twitched. More mouth-to-nose, 5 more minutes HE TOOK A BREATH!!!!!

He slowly started to become more responsive, his breathing became deeper and more regular. I couldn't freakin' believe it!!!!!!!

He spent a few days at the hospital, the lack of oxygen had compromised some of his reflexes and motor function. he could stand-up, but once he stood, it was like his brain overloaded and it couldn't handle any more functions. He shipped back to us several days later, a perfectly healthy foal. He is, of course, one of my favorites.

That night was perhaps the most memorable night of foaling I've ever had. It's difficult to explain the effect it had on us. We are not an emotional group, but I don't think anyone left the barn that morning without being touched in some way.

The most important lesson I learned is to NEVER give up. The will to live these animals posess is tremendous.

(Message edited by dystocia on April 12, 2008)

(Message edited by dystocia on April 12, 2008)

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is important to point out that the numbers Jon is referring to is the number of foals we've lost during the foaling process and doesn't include abortions in the last trimester. We aggressivly try to preserve all pregnancies, but sometimes we lose the battle.

Yearling

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 02:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tim, I was not going to read that post because the warning sign alone gave me anxiety. I went to the other threads and then came back to this one. I sorta peeked at the last part of the post and when I read "NEVER give up" I had to keep reading. I read the whole thing from the bottom up. That actually helped keep the anxiety level down for some reason. Great post!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 113
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Tim, so much for that story. Wow. I don't even know what to say. It is great to know the second little guy made it, after your (all of your) intensive efforts.

I, of course, do not have the meds or knowledge to do what you all did, but I have a vet that lives close by. I can see why you have that "five minute" protocol.

My hats off to you all. Foaling several dozen, to over a hundred foals, did not dampen your enthusiasm to keep on going with both colts, even if you did lose the battle with the first. You all have my respect. I thought it interesting that it was the same mare, that had both colts with the "Hip Lock." By the way, was that med. tech. who you," are all afraid of," in on the efforts too?

If I may ask, Tim, are you a DVM? Or is there other trainning you have? I am just so intrigued by all the horse people out there, many doing this for years, that I was curious. I know you can only give us so much info., so I respect that.

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

The Mare: She has actually had several hip-locks throughout her career as a broodmare. I guess it is because of her conformation, perhaps her pelvis just will not let these guys through easily. Wonderful mare though, when she was racing, she beat the boys on more than one occaision.

The lab tech is usually not involved in the foalings. She tried foalwatching several years ago, before she became a lab tech, and while she was VERY good at, I don't think she enjoyed the watching part too much.

The reason we are afraid of her is because she runs all the numbers on these newborns in the morning. If thier red-count is low because an umbilical broke too early, or if the IgG is low because we didn't get the foal on the bag soon enough, there is hell to pay.

No, I am not a DVM, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

All of my foaling experience has been hands on and under the instruction of some very experienced people, including vets.

I did take a year away from this place and went to work for a local vet, managing his clinic. THAT was an experience. He is one of those people who can work for days without sleeping, and he is a GENIUS. I gained loads of experience there and try to continue to draw inspiration from his tireless work-ethic.

That, to me, is what seperates the good horsepeople from the GREATS, the work ethic. You can have talent, knowledge and experience, but without that burning desire to use it all, you will never realize your full potential.

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 07:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all, just got in from the barn and back out again its been looong days and nites. I got some pics this morning of my mare, she has had milk opaque for the past 3 days, dripping, I see streams once in a while when she walks, last night she was standing in the Isle making a puddle, this am wax again and milk, all day and tonight milk, swishes tail, bites sides, ??v'd , I think so hard to tell with the edema, so here are some pics any guesses? i think shes getting tired. oh, had the vet out 2 days ago because the wax, milk drips have been going on since the 3rd, stated the baby was about to enter the pelvis 3 days ago thought another 24 hrs would do.....it has been 48.....Thanks for your input
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/amora/amora41208008.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/amora/amora41208005.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/amora/amora41208004.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm247/GRivezzi/amora/amora41208003.jpg

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 08:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess the foaling time game on Gina's mare.

Sunday morning 1:47am

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 08:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jonathan that would be great for me up and out...just went to check eating hay and looked at me, vulva long, has been deep pink, goes from cow pies to moose pies..still dripping milk, white
Sorry all I am alittle bit punchy due to lack of sleep and that equine love sickness disease everyone seems to have

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 30
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 08:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew I should of guessed earlier!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnathan, I'm up for it (I actually got four hours of sleep this morning)! So, let's say Gina's mare will foal at 10:30 PM tonight. But you will probably be way ahead of us with your experience, but that's okay. I don't mind. You wanna guess on my mare? You can see the "signs" below. :-)

My mare is dripping milk too, Gina; down her leg. But then, I got a few drops from the teat this afternoon and it was yellowish. I tried Jos's milk test, but my aim isn't very good and didn't really get any on my black surface. But her udder is full, full, full, all day today. She seems tired too, just like you said about your mare. And she isn't eating much all of a sudden. Was eating her head off last four days or so. Hang in there-hope you get some sleep.

How's everyone else? No babies yet?????? Or did you deliver and are too excited and exhausted to share? I hope all is going well for eveyone's dear mares.

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 211
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gina, I'm gonna have to go with 6 am sunday....
can't believe it hasn't happened YET..

CJskip......i am both excited and exhausted, but not for having babies.....still I wait....your mare sounds close. How's your stall coming? You still doin the head light thing?

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

I don't have much experience with those liberal California mares. Sorry I couldn't resist. I am going to guess about 4am pacific time. It's hard to guess over the internet! Sorry for the slow response I had one sneak up on me. One down 1 to 3 to go tonight.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see, I'll go with 4:am Sunday morning for Gina's mare.

Oh that's just great Jonathan, I wasn't aware I have a liberal Calfornia mare!!!

I've had milk drips,(not streaming though) today as well as yesterday. The only thing is, the horse that is boarded across from her went on a long trail ride today and my mare was not happy about that. I spent most of the day trying to redirect her focus. I'm thinking if she was close, she probably delayed it today. We'll see what happens tonight!!

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I am trying to keep myself awake for this 12 hour shift!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 02:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnathan, your comment about the "liberal California mare" actually seems to fit. She is sure taking "liberal" time getting ready to do this thing!!

There is a lot of cross over between this thread and the mares' signs. I sometimes get mixed up which I'm on (blame it on lack of sleep) but I do that kind of thing often anyway. Hope I haven't confused anyone, other than myself!

Anyway, if she has it tonight, I'll be dancing on the ceiling!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to add, my mare was yawning up a storm-about six times,one right after another. I thought I had read that was a sign as well??

Oh, and I bought a video cam recorder that is supposed to record in low light-I can't get it to even show anything on the view finder screen,or whatever it's called! Darn, new fangled thing!!

And Tim, thanks for answering my nosy question. i think you are right about the really good horse people going the extra mile.

I don't really put myself in that category, with one mare to watch, but as tempted as I am to just go to bed and sleep for 8hrs., I know I can't take that chance. If there was a problem and I slept through it, I'd be kicking myself forever. Besides, I jsut have to see that little bugger make it into the world.

But Tim, if I had lots of mares due, I think I'd look into foal alert myself with a camera too, so I could have more of a "hands on," approach.

Okay, it's off to another long night. Good luck to all of us!

Jonathan Smith
Weanling

Post Number: 33
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 02:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

You may need to check the menu on your recorder. There is probally something you will need to turn on to get it to amplify the available light. It took me two weeks to get mine to work correctly.

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 06:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody get any babies????/
I'm still waiting she groaned, yawned numerous times just to make me look. some pacing, then she laid down and took a nap until 5:30 am, did not eat her hay she has had a voracious appetite, ate all her grain for dinner though.hope she does it soon or I may just sleep thru it right next to her stall. I am actually finding hay bales comfy...I've been in the barn too long.
Cjskip, Lorna, hope you had a more productive night.
Jonathan, 1 of 3, is great, anymore last night?

Gina Rivezzi
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 08:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok guys still no foal, eating grain, dripping milk...when vet was out 3 days ago she was dripping on and off and waxing up. has dripped the past 3 days white milk, I think I'll put in a call to the vet again. how long can they drip like this before foaling. I've had at least 10 foalings and none of them dripped this long, usually delivery occured within 12 hrs?

Lee
Weanling
Username: Leejon

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare *OLD Glory* (20 yrs now) (foaled 15+) dripped white milk 14 days April 2006 before she delivered a healthy COLT... no harm done! He is NOW 10 days shy of being 2 years OLD...
although I did not handle those 14 days well!!! I finally fell asleep watching her and when I awoke there was 8 legs....DANG mares!!!
This year I have a maiden and she has full bag for weeks BUT only clear fluid... so I hope I dont FALL asleep AGAIN!!! She 354 days and I think she is carrying COLT too... but I been watching her for 6 weeks already... I was originally terrified she would go early...OOPS...OOPS...OOPS Dang MARES...

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 147
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gina: My guess...Monday, 6:30AM

cj: My guess for you...today, Sunday 3:30PM

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so I had to post again to this topic, even though its somewhat irrelevant! Who says that "foal watch" ends at birth?!?!?!

Baby #2 "Moose" learned the hard way that barbed wire fencing is NOT your friend! Geeeezzzzz...I wish I could afford pipe fencing for the whole property. Unfortunately, our cattle would wreck havoc on the place without the barbed wire. We have one cow ("Vanishing Vera") who takes a fence down with her EVERY year when she calves. Seems she likes the 352 acres next to ours better.

That's 2 out of 2 foals that have been introduced to the barbed wire! Thank goodness it was with minimal damage. I don't know how you EVER get them used to it. Even if I kept them in a barn for a few weeks, they would eventually have an encounter I suppose. Makes me want to "foal watch" for the first 6 months of their lives!! Little stinkers don't have alot of knowledge in their little brains to draw on...I liked it better when they were save and sound inside mommy's belly!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I have been having the same kind of thinking as you! I don't have barbed wire, except for a string that runs along one side of the pasture. I figured out last night, that I can cut pvc pipe and cover the section over the corral, where the baby will stay for a few days. But yes, they need to venture out eventually. I just hope my mare is good at keeping it out of trouble!

But I'm glad your little ones weren't hurt badly. You have one more due in June, right? Can't believe I remembered, with the little sleep I've been getting since Wed. night. I hope you are right about her foaling this afternoon. I swear, it kills me to see her walk soooooo slowly! And being able to sleep tonight wouldn't hurt either, although I'll probably be so worried about the foal, that I'll stay up all night with it too!

Someone asked about my using the car headlights; I'm sorry, I forgot who and can't find it again. I've been sleeping in different places different times. But I'm keeping light off her, except for when I do my visual checks.

Thought she might go last night, but have a feeling it'll be tonight. Early I hope! I think her teats are waxed now. Dripped milk yesterday morn. Easting some alfalfa this morn, but still not much of an appetite. She doesn't like the Omelene 300 I got her, even when I mix it with other grains she likes, but her bag is full and I imagine when she starts nursing she'll eat everything in site!

Johnathan, I finally figured out I had the camera on zoom, so it made everything look hazy!

Okay, got to check the announcement board and then catch a nap. That mare better not have that baby in the pasture with the goats, while I sleep! I have to keep her out of the stall, because the goats get in there and make a mess. I rent a room here, so have to give priority to the goats and don;t want mamma horse locked in her stall 24/7. So she gets out to pasture some each day. Eventually though, the horse will be completely sectioned off. The landlady here is wonderful!!! I was very lucky to find this place!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 01:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, is there anyway you can put hot tape up in front of the barbed wire? Barbed wire is not meant for horses, especially foals, and I think it's just a matter of time before you have a serious injury. I have a mare that almost took her hoof completely off when she got into some barbed wire. It's just not worth the risk IMO. You can get hot tape for fairly cheap if you don't want to replace your fencing (which I completely understand :-) ) and just run it thru some T-posts. It is really easy to install, I've done it alot all by myself :-)

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I think I know what is going on with my mare. She knows she has to watch the little bugger until its weaned, so she's just keeping it in the oven as along as she can! She's no dummy! :-)

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: That is EXACTLY it! She's cursing you right now for committing the next 6 months of her life to disciplining a little stinker!

Tracy: We're working with that idea. You are correct that barbed wire is not a horse's friend but the problem with that is we have other animals on our farm that hot wire won't work with. I don't know how successful the hot tape will be because both foals "learned about barb wire" at a dead run. They took off and WHAM found the fence. I'm not sure that the hot tape would have been useful under those conditions as they would have already impacted the fence before figuring out that deterent.

I will say this...both foals know what it is now!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 202
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, have you tied cloth or plastic strips to the wire to tag it? I've done that in the past and it helps, but I know that foals have no idea what a fence is, flags or no flags.

Andrea Cobler
Neonate
Username: Ixii182

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I guess I'll jump in since I seem to be in the same "boat" as all of you. My mare is due on May 24th (as far as mares being "due" goes) On Monday I noticed that she was dripping a clear-yellowish fluid from her udder and had some mucousy (is mucousy a word?) blood smeared on her behind. Being the neurotic worrier that I am I called the vet and she did and ultrasound and vag exam. Everyone at the vet clinic had a good laugh because I am a seasoned paramedic and here I was panicking about my mare losing her mucous plug!!!!!! The vet did say, and I quote, "Her cervix is really soft, be ready." So I have been sleeping on the couch all week, watching the horse cam that is connected to our T.V. On 2 occaisions I have to take my son to sports events and my older daughter and niece were left at home to watch for signs of foaling. On both occasions they called me and said "you're horse is having her baby!" I rushed home only to find her standing in the stall eating. They swear that she was down and looking like she was contracting!!! Yesterday my son had a baseball game; I told them don't call me unless you see body parts sticking out of her!!!! I also decided yesterday that I would take a couple of hours and go to the grocery store-this prompted by the sight of my kids the night before sitting on the couch and eating dry Ramen noodles as a snack; ah, yes, the cupboards are bare!!! So now she is once again eating and no signs of active labor. I normally work 2 24 hour shifts a week and I took 3 weeks off to hopefully be home when she delivers. I was looking forward to the rest but I am more tired now that when I pull an all-nighter at work! I'm also disturbed by the fact that I've been a paramedic for 20 years now and in that time have handled some REALLY stressful situations- so why am I so damned nervous about this mare foaling!!???!!!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the crazy farm Andrea! If it makes you feel any better, I'm an OB/GYN nurse and I still lose it with every foal!

I have found checking the milk is the best indicator of when she will foal. The milk will go from clear, amber, skim milk, 2% milk and then thick whole milk. Once it goes to whole milk the mare will usually foal within 24 hours. The trick is some mares take days to change, others take hours! I usually check am and pm, just a drop or two.

What kind of mare do you have and what stallion is she bred to? We want pictures! We LOVE pictures :-)

Andrea Cobler
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In kind of a wickedly funny way, I am glad to hear that you are an OB/GYN nurse and still get nuts with the foaling thing too!!!! Thought I was just going crazy. (my husband thinks I am)I have been checking her milk. It's still an amber colored, sticky liquid. My mare is a Quarter Horse mare. We compete in reining and I bred her to a reining stallion- a grandson of Hollywood Dunit. I have loved Hollywood Dunit since I was a teenager so this is kind of my breeding of a lifetime!!!! I think that is why I am so nervous. I really love my little mare and I want this to go good! I will try to post some pictures.

Andrea Cobler
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few pictures of Treasure and Vito. Hope this works!!!http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/_4205440.jp g
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/_4205443.jp g
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/Vitoheadsho t-401x550.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/Vito_slide4 -422x336.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/Vito_slide4 -422x336.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/P3220003.jp g
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/ixii182/Treasure%20and%20Vito/P3220018.jp g

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm anxious to see your baby Andrea. Do you expect a bay?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 234
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Yes, all of our fences are tied in orange tape, flappin in the breeze but doggone it...it just seems that they have to learn it the hard way!

Welcome Andrea! (I foaled 2 several weeks ago and am just hangin around until June when #3 goes!) I share your love for those reining horses! We have a stallion about a mile away that is out of Hollywood.

Andrea Cobler
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping for a buckskin or a bay. I guess I can get palomino or chestnut, too. I love buckskins, though, so that is what I am hoping for.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gorgeous horse and stallion! I can't wait to see that baby :-)

Laurel
Nursing Foal
Username: Laurel

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, April 18, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andrea, you could also get a black or a smokey black. I had the same color combination this year. My baby is bay.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 226
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi, I figured you did have your fences marked for the horses to see, but was just hopeing not. See, now I have to think about my little bundle (when it is born) doing the same thing. I don;t have barbed wire, except a top strand that I'm trying to figure out how to cap off, but there is a lot of fencing and T-Posts that I worry about.

Reminds me, I saw a picture that someone posted of a T-Post being capped with something white. Is there anything manufactured that does that?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They make t-post caps specifically for this :-) You should be able to buy them anywhere they sell the t-posts and hot wire.

Andrea Cobler
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm still waiting. We had out of town company this weekend (perfect timing); they had little kids and now I am sick. I wanted to be well rested when my mare foaled but I guess that is a pipe-dream!!!! I dont think I will get a smokey black out of this particular breeding because the stud is homozygous for the Agouti gene- so if he throws black it should go to the points if I'm understanding that right!?!
It is nice to know that I am not the only one who is neurotic about the fences and stalls and everything tha my horses might get hurt on. We just put up a New Zeland fence. It's my first experience with hot-wire!!! I have turned my 30 year old gelding and his pasture companion out in it and they have done really well! Hope the rest of the horses get used to it as easily!!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 234
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 01:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh, no baby yet, but doesn't matter. I'm feeling a little sentimental.

I was just going through these old posts and reading all the questions and responses. Wow! this is amazing. The trouble people have gone to, in order to answer questions. Some have posted links.

Pictures have been posted to give us visuals, inc. those long awaited "baby pics."

It has been only a month or so since I've been on this board and I am just blown away by the cohesiveness of the group.

And I have learned more this month, here, than from all I've read. So thanks for all the tedious details; they help us novices out tremendously! In addition, we get treated with dignity and respect.

As an example, Charlene, you posted some pics of your mare a few weeks, a few days and just 2 1/2 hrs. from delivering. At the time, I didn't really get it, but now I do, as my mare is getting very hollow in the flank.

I am also struck by the sense of humbleness you all have. From the smallest operation to the largest, people all seem to recognize that there are no "absolutes."

And of course, I cannot tell you how much the humor has helped me through those long, lonely nights of waiting.

Well, maybe lack of sleep is getting me all mushy. I may look back at this post later and think, Sheesh! What a sappy post!!!
But I'm posting it anyway. THANK-YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!

Emily West, Filly April 12th
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 592
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sappy at all!!! I feel the same way. I learn so much from everyone here and the support is great!!!!

Laurel
Weanling
Username: Laurel

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 02:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right...no smokey black or black with homzygous agouti. Hope it comes soon so you can see what you get!

Andrea Cobler
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too!!

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 10:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: Thanks so much for your well thoughts! And, yes, they do have caps you can put on your t-posts. I don't know, maybe I'm from the old school of hard knocks. Don't want anyone hurt at all but other than putting them in a padded stall (which certainly doesn't mean that injury still can't occur) I suppose that always means there are risks. Although my new barn will have some beautiful stalls, my object is to always provide them with a lifestyle that includes the weather, and the elements, and the freedom of movement. The saddest thing I ever experienced was to take my 5 year-old (Blossom) to the field and "teach" her what grass was. She had never been exposed to it her life (dry lot to stall was all she ever knew). She was a horrible cribber when I got her and now, she doesn't crib at all!

Still no baby????? OK...I'm going to really concentrate now and get my foaling mojo on for you!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. I'll check on the t-post toppers. I had no idea! We've come a long way, I guess, in understanding the needs of horses.

Bobbi and others too, I know fencing is a priority. It is so hard to always know what a horse will do. Run now, think later. is their motto, afer all.

Bobbi, your story about Blossom touched me. I too had a horse that had little experience outside a box stall. Perhaps not as bad as your's, but the "owners," paid board for most of his first two years of life, but he lived in that stall 24/7! He could not even see other horses!

When I looked at him to buy him for my daughter (but really for me-yo know) they let him out into a round pen and boy did he have a good time! They couldn't get him back into his stall for some time. The next day he was so sore.

We bought him and gelded him. He was a beautiful QH/Morgan cross and had a fabulous disposition. Amazing what these horses can go through and come out treating us with anything but disdain. They have such hearts. His name was Drifter.

I'm thinking of getting involved with a resuce group, but oh my! That could become yet another obsession. Anyone had experience volunteering with such groups?

Bobbi, yes, I could use some foaling mojo! Thanks! I think I just didn't (don;t) know how to read the signs of labor. I think all the stuff she did before was just getting ready. I think she has a little time left yet, but I expect it this week. Will see. But ya, put the "mojo," on, okay?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 05:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj: That's why they find OUR heart's. We don't necessarily take on the easy ones. Blossom, thank goodness, was never abused but was unfortunately sometimes, born into a life that requires them to put aside being a "horse" until retirement. It brings me great joy, and I believe that I have a great deal of respect from the "race world", when I take these athletes and give them a life beyond their career. Blossom was a real treat, I had to feed her HAY in knee-deep grass for three days until she "accidently got some grass" and went..."Heyyyy, this isn't half bad!"

My stallion...oh...a much different story. Now there's a rescue story in and of itself. He's got bloodlines that would be ALL of his ancestors to shame (a ton of Grand National Champions) knowing that this 5 year-old was NEVER halter broke or worked with! Bought him for nothing off of an 80 year-old couple that he almost killed. He's a hand-ful and I'm telling you, not for the weak of heart. Is he untrainable...no...will he ever be trustworthy...NO...will he ever be productive outside of producing...NO. Will he hurt me...Probably. But, he's getting a chance. Unfortunately, gelding him will not change his behaviors that were developed for five years so that is not the answer either. Don't know what will become of him in the long run, but for now, we're just working with him bit by bit...we'll see. He was cribber also and had never seen grass before. When I first bought him and had his teeth floated on the next day, my vet was amazed that here was a 5 year-old without a front tooth in his head. He "lips" the grass to eat...that and alot of good grain keeps him healthy!

So, there's my extent of working with rescue animals. I usually don't work with groups as it is impossible for me to provide a place for these animals with a stallion on the premises. Most rescue groups do not allow for you to breed those animals you adopt.

He sure does throw some "built" babies though!

I'm MOJOin for ya!!!! Just a word to the wise...its when you think there is some time left that they surprise you!

Michelle Richardson
Yearling

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 08:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cj- I don't work for a rescue group but we have rescued around 10+. I will tell you that it is a wonderful thing to do but it will test your love of people. I still to this day can't believe some of things I've seen... But when you begin to rebuild the horses trust there is nothing like it. They will find their way into your heart and never let go. I guess I'm lucky because I have unusual circumstances with where I am to be able to keep the ones we rescue.(this is thru the non-profit I work for) I'm not sure I could do the whole foster care side because I trust NO ONE with my horses after seeing what I have seen. So when we get them they are here to stay. I have 3 in their upper 30's.

Well I know that I have rambled but this subject is close to my heart, these animals are so amazing. We can bring horses into our lives whenever we want but it is a special thing when a horse lets you into their heart. That is something you can not buy.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 275
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbie, Michelle, thank-you. I'm glad there are people like you who can take certain horses and give them meaningful lives. We have such a responsibilty to these wonderful creatures, when they come into our lives, however that may be. I know so many are abused, ignored and neglected. It's good to know there are people who care about their equine friends. This board validates that belief.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US