SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

OMG! How long does it take vaccines to build antibodies?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » OMG! How long does it take vaccines to build antibodies? « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is: How long does it take for the anitbodies to get into the colostrum, after vaccinations? Today, I found out I was somehow a month off on her due date. I think I must have read the previous owner's e-mail about the "breeding" date as the "due" date. Don't know how I could get it so wrong!

Anyway, how 'bout those vaccines? The vet is coming Friday, and I am pretty sure he'll give the vaccines to my mare then.

Is there anything else than can be done if she were to foal before they take effect? Can a foal be vaccinated right away?

Until today, I thought I had at least until May 1st. to get my act together. But no-my girl was bred (last covered) May 26th, so she is due about April 26th., which of course means any time now!

I had a guy coming out tomorrow to give me a bid on getting my corral finished. No time for that! I ordered corral panels and they should be here tomorrow. At least she will have a 24X24' "stall" to foal in. I can also watch her food intake and watch for the proper "poo" from the little one.

I have been madly rushing around today to get more of the supplies. Wish I had someone to make coffee though!!

At the same time. it is exciting! Don't have to wait so long. I did notice her belly dropped about 10 days ago and then today, looks even lower. She is soft around the tail and her flanks are kind of caved in, but not V seen at the tail head. No big bag either, but she won't let me touch it to see if there is any fluid in there; fussy momma.

She has been very hungry the past few days. Her usual picky eater self licks the grain bucket clean! Still not eating enough alfalfa. Once the corral is in, I can monitor that better. She will have to eat, before she gets to graze!

Please wish us well. We (the mare, foal and I) need all the good thoughts we can get!!!

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I make sure my mares have their necessary vaccinations about / at least two weeks prior to foaling. That way she will have built up antibodies and be able to pass them onto the foal via her colostrum. Better to err on the side of 14 days+ than less..
Good Luck

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I wanted to do that too. Planned on about 30 days prior to foaling, but of course, got mixed up there! But two weeks is enough huh? If so, I'm praying for at least two more weeks from Friday, before delivery.

Boy-this worry is really gonna make me crazy!

Thanks for the info!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 116
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 08:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ
You are a worry wart mom!I'm glad to see you covering as many bases as you can! My mare is due the 17th but really any time, My cam just arrived yesterday I hope I make it to this weekend to put up, Spring has always been on or around due date...She is 22 so....I guess she can go at any time...I also gave her last set of vaccines not a great outcome she was very allegic to the vaccines! She is ok now, Saturday was a different story! I thought I should be whiped for giving her vaccines its a call that we all have to make. She is a war horse! I have been blessed in 22 years I have NEVER had the vet over in an emergency! She has NEVER colic'd I am blessed!
Did I mention that she LOVES ME??? LOL

Ok I know most of you won't believe this but she will STOP eating, stop doing whatever when I come into her foaling stall she get real close to my body put her tummy close to mine I pick up my shirt and we put tummy to tummy and I rub her all over doing the T-Touch humming to her she will fall asleep every time....

Take care all,
L

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1825
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It takes 30-45 days for maximal colostral antibody levels to be reached. Discuss with your veterinarian the possibility of supplementation with colostrum from another mare (that had been vaccinated in a timely manner) and/or the use of a colostral supplement such as Seramune. Chances are it won't be an issue, but better safe than sorry!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I also have a mare that will stop whatever she is doing and come up to me for pats and rubs :-) It's Arabians, they are such people horses.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 264
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question--I was told my mare would foal in March so was given her shots in Feb--well its now April and still no foal --should I re vaccinate?? How long do they stay effective?

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 03:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I have heard of other horses being allergic to the vaccines. I had considered doing it myself, but decided I'd better check with vet on it. I'm glad your girl got over it-must have been scary! How long after the shots did she show allergic reaction? Thank-you for your post. Glad your momma to be loves you lots!

Jos, great idea about the substitute colostrum! I will check into getting some and see what the vet says. I have some generic stuff, but don't know that it has the antibodies. Thanks much.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorothy: I just dealt with that issue as I vaccinated 30 days prior to foaling date and my mare went about 20 days longer. My vet said that 30-45 days builds immunity. I'm not sure with the time frame you are talking about. A quick call to your vet would probably be the best advice.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 04:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to reassure people that my vet said, since my horse was up on her vaccinations already, the immunity would pass to the foal in the colostrum.

Thought I'd pass this info. on.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US