SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Pre-foaling question

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Pre-foaling question « Previous Next »

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I feel kinda stupid asking this, but does a mare's water break before going into labor, or is this just in humans? Lol

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 08:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emily,
A questioned not asked is stupid! Yes her water breaks, I would have to assume that's what happens to any mammal, I may be wrong?
L

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,when the water breaks its the end of stage 1 labor.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 108
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily: In most cases with my mares, I got a few dribbles first, almost like the "pee in heat" effect. Then the water broke and it is obvious. Judy is right, stage delivery should be rapid, good gauge on how delivery is going...baby on the ground in about 20 minutes. Both my maidens did it in less than 20 minutes like they were pros.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 305
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes emily,the bubble came out a little ,then the water broke and within 20 min,the foal was here.dice was a maiden to.

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't there some kind of sensor we can just put to their behinds that we can wire up to a buzzer and when it's time, we get the buzz and go out and catch the little buggers as they drop to the ground?

Of course, that might put Tim's little lurkers out of work-hehe

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, it's great that people are treated with respect here. I've been on sites where it is a whole different story. So please feel free to ask anything, 'cause I do and I love company! LOL As a novice, I learn something everyday, whether it is basic or more technical. Is this your "first," foal? Have you posted on the 2008 foal watch?

Jonathan Smith
Nursing Foal
Username: Kynwatch

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip

You're a troublemaker aren't you? I think you have too much free time in your retirement.

(Message edited by kynwatch on April 09, 2008)

Emily S
Yearling
Username: Cowgrl88

Post Number: 99
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 07:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol thanks Cjskip! Yeah, this is my first foal, so i'm very nervous! My mare should be due any day now, so I'm trying to keep as close an eye on her as I can. It's hard though because we can't really afford to have a barn camera and stuff so I just have to go out a lot in the middle of the night to look at her..Lol. No I haven't posted on the 2008 foal watch but i'll take a look. Thanks guys :-)

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok EVERYONE AND ANYONE!
I have a question and I'm at work! So I'm really nervous right now!
Spring started pacing today and she didn't really want to eat?? DO you think its going to happen today??

She's due 04/17/2008-To date she hasnt bagged up nor does she have any wax?? ANY SUGGESTIONS???

This isnt my first foal you would think it is!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1385
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Laurie....You know this late in her pregnancy they just feel yuk. Perhaps she had a tummy ache? or the foal is getting into a different position? When you say she is not bagged up do you mean no milk? Surely she has started some kind of bag?

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 122
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi JAN,
YUP! No milk no wax no nuttin....She does have one side of one of her bags, lookin kinda puffy but not full, I going to get some pool strips!

Thanks Jan!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 01:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hang in there Laurie...when you get home she will still be pregnant and with that look like "who me?" did I do something to upset you? :-)

I know you will not be able to relax until your mare has a safe delivery and foal is on the ground, healthy and mare is up and mothering...I will keep you in my prayers...

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,
You are correct!!!!!! This foal is my future star!
I had a friend go out to my place and check my mares and she told me it looks like Spring is coming into heat??? My stallion is house within 300 feet. Is this wierd or what??? My friend also said she had a clear to milky discharge???

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well sometimes their urine gets "milky" looking towards the end of pregnancy too. and some do show heat...my friend swears that her mares act like that when they are carrying...guess...yep fillies :-) Dont' know if it is true? but we can hope.

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 11:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yipee Jan,
A Filly! Well whatever it is I just want it to be healthy! You were right I got home in 45min.flying in at around 75mph, it takes me about 55 minutes if I go speed limit! I swear she did look at me and say whats the problem???

L

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I wonder if your mare talks to my mare. Maybe they have cell phones and say something like, "hey, do you want to stir up a little trouble tonight? Yeah, let's lift our tales and bite at our sides, just for fun. That gets them everytime!"

Johnathan, how did you know?

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: *Smile* My TB mare acts like she's in heat her whole pregnancy. She did especially during her last week...guess what...I got a colt! Hahaha!

(Sorry Laurie...hahaha)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi..Is that Moose? The Old Wife's Tales help to pass the time....My mare is so even keel that her personality never wavers and she had one colt, 2 fillies....

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan: Hahaha..yes, that would be Moose. My grandma told me that they used to breed their livestock east-to-west or north-to-south in order to determine sex. I had 2 girls and wanted a boy (my children), so we changed the position of the bed in the bedroom, and I got 2 boys after that. Who knows...wife's tales sometimes work!

Blossom's In Heat Behavior: We just chalk up Moose's mommy to being the local floosey!

Cyndy Wiser
Yearling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 54
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbi I've heard that too. I had a few people ask me what direction Chasse was facing when she was AI'd...which would have been head-East and tail-West.

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 153
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cyndy: That would be a girl (*smile*)

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats all fine and dandy but what if just had a big open area for live cover and they were kindof facing what everway they felt like at the time?? i think the first day was more of a east west but the second day was more of north south?? will i get a girl colt or a manly filly??

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 71
Posted on Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Corina, i just fell off my chair laughing when i got to the end of your post!!!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US