Lat night my mare foaled and retained the placenta for several hours. She foaled at about 10:30 pm and finally released it between 3:30 am and 6:30 am. I called all 5 of the local vets and got one to answer on a sunday early morning. He was not going to come out and do anything with the mare until after daylight and buy that time she'd released the placenta. He said to put her on antibiotics but didn't say what kind. He's not my regular vet and I can't get a hold of my regular vet. However I do have some left over Tucoprim(Trimethaprim Sulfa) from another recent incident with another horse. I can't get a hold of my regular vet until tomorrow and the one I got a hold of this morning is pretty lax in some aspects of medical treatments. So Would it be ok to use the Tucoprim until I can get a hold of my regular vet?
Mare seems fine at the moment, foal is doing well only problem is the retained placenta for 5 plus hours. Thanks
I really don't know Anna, I hope someone else can help you. I just didn't want to ignore your post
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: