SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Typical quantity of meconium?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Typical quantity of meconium? « Previous Next »

Beth Valen
Weanling
Username: Divaranch

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the typical range for quantity/volume of meconium?

I'm asking because I think the filly we had today might have set a new record. Previous foals have uaually had the equivalent of 1-1.5 (8 oz) measuring cups worth.... we always do an enema, and watch pretty carefully to make sure they've passed "enough". Well this filly was laying down when we did the enema, and almost immediately passed about 3-4 cups worth. Really a large pile. Then a bit later, some more. A bit later, some more. Then came some projectile turds-- I mean really large too. It was just shocking quantity. This is a very large, very strong filly-- she literally looked 3-5 day sold as soon as she dried off. She had some pretty significant discomfort, which 20/20 hindsight suggests she was impacted.

I'm just wondering about others' experience... isn't 5-6 cups worth a LOT? Would there be a correlation between more quantity, and impaction?

She has progressed to rust/coppery "sludge", and is on her way to mustard colored sludge. I will be glad when she gets to the stage where her butt stays dry and clean....

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 802
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 05:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Beth!!! I didn't see your birth announcement on the Birth Announcement thread. 5-6 cups worth does sound like alot, but she should feel better now I hope. Do you any pics to post yet? What time was she born?

Beth Valen
Weanling

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 06:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Charlene. She was born Saturday 4/5 at 1 am. I have pictures but do not know how to post them here. She is a sorrel filly, with a blazed face and one short sock behind. Very dished face, and weighed about 125# at birth. Her mother is by An Awesome Mister, and her daddy is leading sire Zips Chocolate Chip. Her barn name, is Princess Poops-a-Lot, for obvious reasons.

I am just glad that my practice is to go ahead and give the enema early on-- we gave it when she was only 45 minutes old. Based on the quantity of meconium we ultimately saw, and the discomfort she exhibited, we could have had a very serious situation. I have never been so happy to see the normal messy icky sludgey foal poop!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 01:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Beth, her sire is Zips Chocolate Chip? Wow!!! I bet that cost you a pretty penny. Mabey you should call her Zips Pretty Penny. I bet she is Mighty Awesome. I know what you mean about being relieved to see that normal sticky foal poop, the kind that sticks to your boots. To post your pics go to photobucket.com and open an account. Once you get your photos on there, then click on the direct link below the photo and then hit ctrl+v in your post here. If you need further help posting your photos, let me know.

Beth Valen
Weanling

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 04:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got that right, I really stepped up and paid the big breed fees in 2007! I figured on a few less steaks, a lot more peanut butter...and just hope these babies are the kind that made their daddy's famous. My other mare is bred to Radical Rodder, so both are having foals by leading sires-- legends.

Watching this filly lope, I'd say Chip sure did his job.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 810
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats again Beth. I can't wait to see some pics of her. Did you open a photobucket account? When is your other mare due?

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Beth. I guess your experience ought to tell us all that giving an early enema as part of a routine post foaling protocol is very important. I have mine ready and waiting to go! So thanks for sharing. Sorry about not being able to answer your question though. No experience there.

Beth Valen
Weanling

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet said she was born impacted, and of course things would have been MUCH worse, if we had not given the enema so promptly. From what I know, there is NO downside to doing the enema very quicky, and in this case, it was a very good thing. I usually do the enema and first shots in the first 30-45 min. I won't do it before the cord breaks, but usually before they ever get up.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US