SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Who determines sex of the foal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Who determines sex of the foal? « Previous Next »

kimberly male
Neonate
Username: Pawprints

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 07:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if this is the correct subject matter for this thread, if not please accept my error. Here is my question, Is it the mare or the stallion that determines the sex of the foal??

Mr. Wright
Neonate
Username: Dogpony_show

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stallions produce X and Y sperm. If an egg is fertilised by an X sperm, the offspring will be female(XX) If the egg is fertilised by a Y sperm, the offspring will be male(XY). In mammals it is the male that determines the sex of offspring.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The stallion just like humans. Females have an egg and the sperm from the male contains x or y which determines the sex.

Michele
Breeding Stock
Username: Mich

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do some stallions seem to produce a majority of either colts or fillies?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same reason some human males seem to have only male of female offspring (or a higher preponderance of one or the other) - they are producing more X or Y bearing sperm.

kimberly male
Neonate
Username: Pawprints

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you all so much. I guess my little mini stallion shall prove his worth in the next couple months with 3 foals on the way. Obviously Im keeping my fingers crossed for fillys!!!!!!

corina gabel
Weanling
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 05:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was taught that male or Y spem travel faster or are more active then Female or X. Male are fast and die out faster and Female live a little longer but go lots slower. So in turn a "larger or longer" person ( I was taught this in reguards to people) Will get the Sperm closer to the egg and so the fast little Y will get then before the slow X. and the oppisiste would be true. This is how people try for a girl or boy with differnt possitions to get closer or futher away from the egg.

I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. SO DONT JUMP ME IF ITS NOT ! I am hoping for a filly and fingers crossed cuz my poor stallion aint packn at 3 compared to a few older ones ive seen

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about with stallions but with people that is true. So, if you have sex a couple days BEFORE ovulation there is a greater chance of conceiving a girl. Ph balance in the vagina also plays a factor, more acidic is favorable to girl sperm and more alkaline is favorable to male. I have no idea if any of this is true for horses :-)

corina gabel
Weanling

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be something awsome to look into. I would love to get a filly every time!!!! these boys are just to much of handfulls :-) at 6 months our colt started mounting his momma and would have got the job done but he was just to short, the sad thing was she was letting him do it!!!!
crazy mares!

I havent found the right thread to post BUT WE ARE FINALLY CONFIRMED IN FOAL!!!!!! I called my hubby to tell him at work and he started jumping up and down yelling we are pregnant. all his bodys thought it was me !!!! I took her to a different vet and he had no problem finding a baby! Ive been wondering for 8 1/2 months now.... it must be nice to have a good vet handy. ours as missed 4 pregs. that i know of in the last few years not all mine thankgod but still out of the maybe 6 or 8 that hes checked thats not good odds. we all have started to travel 60 or more miles for anything!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 01:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corina, congratulations! So when is she due and do you have pictures? :-)

corina gabel
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, April 14, 2008 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

she is due june 10th. Umm not anything recent but she doent look that big. She allways fat coming out of winter she is a littler biger then normal. I think the baby might be small. Im just happy to know for sure!!

Sora
Neonate
Username: Sora

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vet who has done a lot of repro. has the theory of the closer to ovulation you get the sperm in, the more likely a boy. That goes along with the male sperm are faster theory.

Has anyone heard of tendacies in mares? Mine's had three colts, and I want a filly. Unfortunately, we were RIGHT on the timing for ovulation getting the sperm in, which seems to head for a boy. I think three boys, it's about time for a girl. Please.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 11:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So seeing as one has to use frozen semen close to ovulation, that means that one would get just about only colts when using frozen semen? :-)

Unfortunately, your vet's theory - which is a commonly held one - doesn't hold up under scrutiny and with large numbers!

Sora
Neonate
Username: Sora

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm. So that means I get a girl? Since she's had 3 boys, she should go girl this time.

I'll have to ask her about that one. I forgot exactly what the theory was, but it was something like that. I used cooled.

Maybe the frozen semen makes the boy semen slower and evens it out? Hmmm.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1857
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The hypothesis is that the X-bearing sperm (female) swim slower but last longer; while the Y-bearing sperm (male) swim faster but don't last as long.

As I say, although it's a commonly offered theorem, it doesn't stand up when large numbers of animals are critically evaluated.

corina gabel
Yearling

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 07:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about the size, tilt and of the uterus as well. just like people the uterus should be different on each mare??!?? this could have alot to do with how long it take to get to egg and where the egg is at on its travels as well?!? right?!? so it really dosnt help much. TO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT.

lets stick to crossing our fingers and praying

Terry Waechter maravilla and her posse
Breeding Stock
Username: Watchman

Post Number: 254
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got a surprise this year....The stallion I owned last year was bred to seven mares....and guess what...6 have foaled colts so far...what are the chances of that....

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Terry, I have heard of stallions sometimes throwing one sex more than another...Is that who you bred too also? Colts are nice but it is nice to get a few filly's in there :-)

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US