SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Injured pregnant horse and delivery-please help

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Injured pregnant horse and delivery-please help « Previous Next »

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 65
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 02:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, I've talked about this before. I have a mare due at the end of May who had a severe muscle tear in her hindquarter, near the tail about five weeks ago. I do not know the name of it-never asked, but I need to find out which muscle so I can be more specific.

Anyway-she was doing better, then today, doesn't want to walk much. She drags both hind feet.

I know I have to do something with her, but what?? I've had the vet out twice. He had her on Bute for two weeks, then took her off. She still has a lot of swelling.

I'm worried about her being able to go through all the ups and downs of labor.

And I'm really starting to wonder if she is going to recover enough to live a satisfactory life. She is 18 and is a very well bred QH. I would like to get more foals out of her, but her health and quality of life is the more important thing.

Can anyone advise me on anything that is safe, that might help her in any way? Or has anyone had a similar expereince?? I'm really at a loss here and very, very worried about her. I do have the number of a new vet, as I've moved. I spoke with him briefly last night (she was better) but I'm going to have him come out and see her.

In the meantime, if I can get suggestions, I can run them by him when he comes.

Please-all advise is appreciated.

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never dealt with these particular circumstances, but have worked with several pregnant mares who have suffered catastrophic injuries, laminitis etc. In just about all those cases, pain management was one of the keys to a successful outcome. Of course, "healing" is the main goal, but often with the heavy-in-foal- mare you are battling forces that simply cannot wait for healing process to relieve pain.

I know that I am being very general here, I wish I could offer more specific advice, but without being there, it's hard to do.

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 66
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 01:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand Tim. My vet is coming out on the 21st., so I can get an assessment. He is supposed to be very good. It is reassuring that you have delivered mares that have injuries that sound as bad or worse, though. I've never dealt with anything like this.

Is there any non-script medication I can give her? I do have bute, but not sure about giving it to her again. The vet had me give it for two weeks, then stopped it about two weeks ago. It does make her feel better.

Could the bute hurt at all? If not, I'll give it to her in the meantime (before vet). I've tried to find info. online, but contradictory and not sure of validity. So is it safe for pregnant mare in last two months?

I'd appreciate any feedback or other suggestions. Someone had mentioned physical therapy for an injured horse. Is there such a thing? Is it difficult to find someone who does it? Is it effective?

Tim Popovitz
Weanling
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 31
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 02:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as the Bute is concerned. No, it is not a completely safe drug to give a late pregnancy mare, especially long term. You and your vet need to decide if it's worth the risk. You can gauge the risk by doing routine bloodwork on her to check her liver and kidney function while she is on it for extended periods of time. I also use CARAFATE or the generic SUCRALFATE in conjunction with the bute to help prevent ulcers.

Most of the other NSAID's such as banamine, and Ketofen also carry some risk during pregnancy.

There are some new NSAIDS such as ETOGESIC that we've used on foals with various joint problems. I'm not sure how effective they are with soft tissue though.

I'm not aware of any OTC drugs that are truly effective pain killers in a horse.

We have a local "horse pool" that does some rehab work. They have had quite a bit of success with some upper body injuries and lamenesses.

I've also had some marginal success with electric stimulation.

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 68
Posted on Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank-you Tim for your comments. I will ask my vet if there is anything like that available in this area and see if there is a drug he will prescribe. I do "massage" her some, but I doubt I am able to do much good (not affecting deeply and where it needs to be). But humans get a lot more medical treatment for injuries such as these; why not horses? I even wonder if surgery should have been performed at the time.

As I have said before, I'm new at this and now feeling very challenged with her condition not improving as well as expected and foaling time looming over the horizon.

So thanks again.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US