SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Changes in mares urine prior to foaling

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Changes in mares urine prior to foaling « Previous Next »

kimberly male
Neonate
Username: Pawprints

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Need some info from you all, Im awaiting a foal, I believe the mare is due within the next 3 weeks at the most and now yesterday and today her urine is no longer is clear yellow, it has changed to very thick light yellowish white. There is no odor to it and she has no problems I know of. Is this normal? And my hubby says its because she is real close to foaling is why this is happening. Well she has dropped, her teats have been full for several weeks now. What does everyone here think about the color and consistency of her urine???

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 244
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kimberly,good question,i would like to know the answer to that to, my mare is due in about 3 weeks and i noticed that same thing today.

kimberly male
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hoefully someone can inform us about this! When I saw it,I about flipped!

Cyndy Wiser
Weanling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 02:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in too guys. Right before she actually goes, sometimes there is a little bit of "white" liquid by itself.

Bobbi Govro
Weanling
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can tell you that both my maiden mares have had the same urine you have explained. In fact, I've noticed its "thicker" than normal and will stand on the ground longer than normal urine. I would believe that its all part of the natural hormonal changes they are going through as they near their due dates. (I thought my mare had a urinary/uterus infection because of this and my vet said its normal for their urine to change color/consistency).

Cyndy Wiser
Weanling
Username: Cyndy

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is interesting Bobbi. Do you remember how close it was to their foal date it began? And did it go away before they foaled or did it continue up until foaling?

kimberly male
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 05:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats what I would also like to know, how long after they have this thicker and whitish urine will they foal

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't really noticed the urine color but I have noticed a distinctive smell and texture to their manure before they foal.

KLEE
Nursing Foal
Username: Klee

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have just noticed this urine thing you describe with glen this morning and was going to mention it to the vet anyway, now when she pees she doesnt have a lot because she is urinating frequently now but it is kind of a yellowy white, thicker and not see through like normal urine - like opaque.

So this is normal? does anyone know how long before foaling this occurs, I dont know the due date of course!

KLEE
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul what does it small like (if indeed it is describable!) and what is the texture like, my mares is like a cow pat but not as runny, kind of just off normal.

judy cervantes/chenoa born 3/30/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE, I DID NOTICE THAT BEFORE MY MARE FOAL THE URINE DID CHANGE TO A THICKER YELLOWISH COLOR,AND SHE HAD COW PIE THE DAY SHE FOALED.JUST THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE MY EXPERIENCE I HAD,HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

KLEE
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EEEEEK!!!

omg!i have spent so many nights at the yard thinking she was going into labour, about 3 nights ago she was kicking at her tum and nipping it, leaning her back end against the stable wall, thrashing her tail and walking round in circles but then it all calmed down, fetal movements have been noted since and someone said it was probably the foal turning to get into position for birth that was causing her the discomfort, her udders are starting to bag but someone said they had a long way to go whereas others have said their mares have foaled with little or no bag. All seems very variable.

She seems to be gettgin more rotund daily though, thatnks for sharing, i dont think i could possibly be any more vigilant than i am being but i will keep an even closer eye on her now!

LaylaX

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 451
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kimberly, Judy, Cyndy and Klee, my mare's urine also turned the color you described. I can't say about the smell. She foaled about three days later. HOWEVER, I believe she had done it once before-maybe a week before foaling as well. Just can't remember for certain.

I'm geting old. I really need to write this stuff down! LOL

Sounds like your mares are in very good hands. We'll all be waiting to hear about your new foals! It is such a wonder to see that little creature on the ground!

Laurie A Beltran
Breeding Stock
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Morning,
I believe that's one of the signs that foaling is emminent! Spring had that thick yellow urine the day she foaled! Hope this helps...
Sending foaling vibes your way...
Take care,
L

KLEE
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2008 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks all!

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2008 - 12:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KLEE, above and beyond all else (vulva, urine, etc.) Do you check her milk? If her bag is filling, what color is it? When it gets sticky like mad you're within a day or two.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US