SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Hello all you expecting parents :-)

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Hello all you expecting parents :-) « Previous Next »

Tricia Brander
Neonate
Username: Sa_cowgirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am by no means an experienced breeder but do have a good vet I try not to agravate the tar out of with my worry wort habits. :-)

I have a mare due any day that is kind of throwing me off, she is showing all the signs of foaling ie wax (amber), tail head sunk in, elongating, bagged up and today my daughter tells me she is now sweating and rolling. All the stuff that tells me she is going to go anytime. But she is a maiden mare but her fluid is still a very thick sticky and amber colored. What do you think? Do I need to camp out tonight? Of course there is a huge thunderstorm threat tonight in TX.

Thanks,
Cowgirl

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 732
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would if I were you. What is her due date, and do you have any pics you can share? Here is a website that you might find usefulhttp://www.yellowhouseranch.com/

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 03:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi,charlene,dice had wax on one teat last night,i was wondering has baby had any waxing yet???Cindy has cricket had any waxing yet???

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tricia, I just know that it can go from thick sticky to milk in a short period of time. Charlene is right they yellowhorse ranch is an excellent resource. I would be on alert tonight! She sounds very close.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 733
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Judy, no wax yet but I finally was able to get a couple of drops out of her udder last night. I looked pretty clear though. I'll post some more pics in a little while.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Judy, so do you think this is it for Dice. I bet Dice and Cricket has theirs first before Baby does. Sending you and everyone else good foaling vibes

Paul Liberty
Weanling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Tricia,
sounds like you may have a foal tonight even with the bad storms. I find that when the barometer drops or there is a thunderstorm coming the mares always foal! Seeing that your mare is a maiden her milk may not be the 'white' color till after she foals but I sure would keep an eye on her tonight. Where in TX are you? I'm about 30 miles west of Houston and the winds have been blowing about 25-30 miles an hour over here.
good vibes heading your way!

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 06:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you charlene,no i dont shes that close yet,i only saw the wax on one teat 1 time,and that was last night,this morning she didnt have any,so i dont know.I think baby has a fuller udder then dice does,i guess time will tell.GOOD FOALING VIBES TO YOU TO!!!

Tahra Sky 3/14
Yearling
Username: Tahra

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tricia my mare got her milk in about 12hr before delivery and even then it wasn’t what you would call milk. It still was watery and had a yellow ting to it. She never waxed and only had one drop on one side about 2hr before she foaled. After delivery I milked her a little for the baby and then she had her milk and then strong colostrum. She waxed after she foaled!. The only way I new she was going was I just had a feeling as she was eating, manure was solid, and she only kicked at her belly a few times. She was a maiden Good luck.

Rebecca Kate Smith, Rockwell born 3/15
Breeding Stock
Username: Beccasmith

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tricia -- my mare doesn't get milk before foaling, she just goes straight to colostrum. she had just what you're decribing, almost like honey coming out of her udder. she waxed about 12 hours before foaling. I say CAMP OUT!! Good luck!!

Tricia Brander
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay so for the update. :-)
When I got home from work I went out to see her. She had obviously done some sweating and rolling as my daughter said, but she seemed to be pretty content and not fidgety so I left her alone. I went out several times to check on her in the evening and at about 11 I stayed out there and observed her. She seemed pretty calm and relaxed. He fluid was still yellow. So I didn't set the alarm or camp out. This morning at 6 I went out and her bag is pretty tight, was minimal up until then which didn't concern me because she is maiden. Fluid expressed is more on the clear side now so I believe it is changing.

Question. Do you think if I camp out in my tack room about 20' away and left a light on her pen it would make her cross her legs tonight?

Paul I am on the south side of San Antonio. :-) We got no rain last night just lots of wind. We really need the rain! :-(

Thanks everyone,
Cowgirl

Tricia Brander
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wanted to update. :-) Mare foaled April 1st with very little warning. On the 31st of March about 9 I noticed her sweating on one side in the flank area but other than that nothing noticeable different. So I checked on her before bed at 11pm and set the alarm for 2. She is a big mare so I didn't expect any foaling issues but since she was maiden I didn't want to take any chances on how she recieved the foal. At 2 o'clock nothing noticeable different so I reset the alarm for 4am. Well I must have messed up and turned on the 2am alarm again so I over slept. At 6:30 I woke up when I normally get up at 6 for work. I had my daughter run out and check while I started getting ready for work. When I seen her run back to the car I figured she either had foaled or something was wrong so I hurried and put on my shoes while she drove back to the house. She told me she had foaled and it was nursing. I went right out in my PJs checked for all the afterbirth, sex of foal and idodined the umbilical cord. She had already pooped so no enima. I looked at the mare for tears. Mind you I did all this in a matter of 20 minutes or so. So I go off to work and call friends that had been waiting for me. One of our renters said yeah I looked at her at 5 and the foal was just standing. I tried to call you but you didn't answer. I had left my phone in the car at the 2am check. Then asked another friend to stop in and check on mare and foal a couple times through the day. All was okay. I get home and start looking closer at everything and I notice the mare looks like she has torn. So I try to call the vet. No answer they had already went home. I think no since in calling after hours vet. Minimal bleeding and it had already been over 12 hours for stiches. So I wait till the next day and call the vet. He said better be safe than sorry and to bring her in. He said the next day would be fine unless she started acting off. So my husband took her in. All is well. The tears were from where they opened her up to be bred since she was from the track. He went ahead and tested the foal's levels since she appeared small even though nuring fine and mare's milk seemed fine. All came back well, just a small baby. :-) I will try and get a pic up in just a few minutes.

Thanks for everyone's support.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US