SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Overdue Mares

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Overdue Mares « Previous Next »

Melissa Brown
Neonate
Username: Mbrown

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am located in Northern Indiana and we have had a crazy winter of up and down extreme temperatures. I have 11 mares foaling this year and I have only one foal on the ground! One mare is now 5 weeks overdue, and I have two mares a week overdue. I have four more mares due within the next week and a half. And the worst part is, they all have about the same bag development. The bags are growing each day, but pain-saking slow and not even close to being full. Tail heads are soft but vulvas are not long. None of my mares are maiden mares and they are on the same pasture and eating hay from the same fields they have been for years. We have done nothing new or unusual this year but no one is foaling! I have worn a path in front of my foaling stalls and my vet is about to stop answering my calls. Is anyone else waiting impatiently for overdue mares???

Mary Greer
Weanling
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 04:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 1 mare due.. This is her 1st but the other mare bred at the same time to the same stud foaled 2-3weeks ago.. So I am having the same problem.. She is at day 370 today.. This is frustrating!

Tim Popovitz
Neonate
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our overdue mares are starting to add up too and we've experienced the same wild weather patterns. I think we've got around 14 overdue right now.

Through January and February we never had more than 4 or 5 overdue at any given time, we foaled-out 65 mares in a span of about 6 weeks. Then came March and mother nature put the brakes on. .......Actually, it has been a nice break, but I have a feeling that nice break will come at the expense of some VERY busy nights.

(Message edited by dystocia on March 14, 2008)

Leesa Jonn Telford
Weanling
Username: Leesa

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary I feel for you my mare is at 380 days gestation and started bagging up 24 days ago..

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 175
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 04:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been waiting for Maybelline since last August! it has to be the longest foalwatch in history LOL!
I am still worried though because massive as she is she still hasn't made any bag.
Thinking of you all out there round the world....

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 07:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, I think you're right, you have to have the record on foalwatch. lol!

But all kidding aside, I hope she'll deliver soon, she has to be exhausted carrying such a heavy load. She is a sweetheart mare.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 983
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane, you must be crazy by now! I can't remember, how far along did the vet think she was when he checked her?

Diana Gilger
Breeding Stock
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 02:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freckles. my leopard appy mare is now "officially" overdue. Every night we go thru the nonesense of setting off the foaling monitor constantly, and every night, nothing.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 180
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you all....it is only through this board that I stay kind of sane!!
Tracy, vet wasn't sure, he could feel 2 feet but thought they were still upside down and said foal wasn't hard against the cervix.....that was almost 2 weeks ago. I don't know what she's cooking in there!

Regina Farias
Neonate
Username: Bucktoby_cowgirl

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is at 373 days today, maybe it is a yr for mares to carry longer. I don't know but my mare is driving me nuttzo to waiting on this foal. I know the foal is in there and alive cause every morning I can see it kicking.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1294
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina~I know how you feel. My very first foal my mare carried for 379 days! It makes you ready to join the funny farm.. Hang in there. It has to come out eventually. Is your mare all bagged up and ready to go?

Regina Farias
Neonate

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 01:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's bagged up but still only clear yellow fluid comming out. I am hoping she will have it soon. This is my first foaling and it is also the studs first foal.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure that you are on the home stretch and it will any day now!

Saleste Clark, Jessie due 03/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should join this board too, since Jessie is overdue by 16 days. Today is day 356, not as overdue as some of you guys so I really feel for how crazy you must be right now!!

Jessie has very little udder development, the biggest thing is that she's not holding her bag up close to her body. Her nipples are pointing downwards, no filling though. She has an unbelievably huge barrel, so maybe she's just hiding that baby in there somewhere? She's bred to a much smaller stallion this year...

I'm not seeing movement everyday, but sometimes it just jumps around everywhere in there.

*sigh*

Saleste Clark, Jessie due 03/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Saleste

Post Number: 142
Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 12:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, and same thing with our weather! One day it will snow, the next day it's 65 degrees!! I'm seeing a trend in all this...

Sabrina Wilson
Neonate
Username: Trilpaints

Posted on Monday, March 24, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare at 354 days that normally does not carry over 340. I also see the baby moving around everyday, her nipples are pointed downward and not tucked up close to her but she still has no milk in her udder. I've administered domperidone just in case of fescue exposure although she's been on a dry lot with alfalfa and some bermuda only - still no milk in the udders. I have prepared for the worst case scenario. It's not easy to sit here and wait but at least we are not alone. My vet wonders if it's the weather, drought conditions, or a combination. I don't know but it's enough to make you insane. }

Regina Farias
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 25, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if weather is much of an issue out where I am. I'm in California and it has been in the 70s and 80s the last few weeks. My mare has been shedding for about 2 months now. Still she is at 374 days with no changes for about a week now.

Regina Farias
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it took 386 days but i finally got a heathy palomino colt outta my mare. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1374
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Regina!! Palomino yahoo!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is fantastic news Regina. The wait is over. Yippeee!! Congratulations. I would love to see pictures of that little palomino colt of yours. :-)

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 513
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 07:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats, Regina!! Look forward to seeing the little fellow!! :-)

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina congrats on your new colt!where abouts are you in california!!im im california to,the centeral coast.

Paul Liberty
Yearling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, April 07, 2008 - 11:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Regina, the wait is finally over for you! we have a mare at the breeding farm in Louisiana that is at day 361 today. she always foals early so I'm not sure what her deal is. I can't see what she looks like but I did see her about a month ago and she was HUGE!

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Regina! We're all waiting for pictures! :-)

Bobbi Govro
Yearling
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 97
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina: Congratulations on your new baby boy! Can't wait to see him!

Regina Farias
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 06:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok let's see if this works
[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/bucktoby_cowgirl/foal205sm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/bucktoby_cowgirl/foal130sm.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/bucktoby_cowgirl/Day1sm.jpg[/IMG]

Bobbi Govro
Breeding Stock
Username: Hh_farms

Post Number: 107
Posted on Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina: You did it! Nice white face! Nice palomino! Is that your daughter? She looks like she's the proud new owner. Your mare may have had the foal but I think the foal has your daughter!

mariana cremonte
Breeding Stock
Username: Mariana_cremonte

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Regina!! Your colt is so beautiful!. Enjoy him.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 815
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 01:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations!!! Wow Regina, he is stunning! It kinda looked like he has one blue eye. Was the stallion a overo?

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 91
Posted on Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 04:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regina-congratulations on a healthy, beautiful foal!

Regina Farias
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 03:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well he has 2 blue eyes. daddy was a bay tovero and mamma is a palomino with 1/2 blue eye. Yeah that is my daughter. Mamma is really my daughter's horse so yeah she is the proud owner.

ken young
Neonate
Username: Paintridinfirefighter

Posted on Friday, September 25, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

boy nobody cares about the owner of the stud, HA HA just like humans momma gets all the credit, and nobody remembers dad. well more than a year has passed and the colt is growing big and strong. he has turned out to be a carbon copy of momma, but is going to be taller of course. handled by us from the time he hit the ground, so he is friendly, and self assured. will wear a saddle like no big deal, and never offers a single buck. full sized humans are still a little big for this little boy, but can be led with reginas daughter in the saddle. I`ll get some recent pics posted if anybody is interested in how he is turning out.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Sunday, September 27, 2009 - 09:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm interested!! Bring on the pics!!

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 996
Posted on Monday, October 12, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ken, I just read this. Glad your guy is turning out to be a friendly, well behaved boy. Sounds like you all are doing a great job. Pics are always good!

Lily Radloff
Neonate
Username: Minisrok

Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 03:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi All,
This my first post and also expecting my first foal. Bought my mini-mare in October of this year. The owner didn't really know when she conceived since she ran in the same pasture with the stud for the last couple years. She looks ready to explode and she started bagging up about a month ago. I was so excited when she did, but then ..nothing...About that same time she had started to be stand-offish, and hasn't been all that friendly any more..very skittish also. Of course not having much experience with horses except for a 20 yr. old Appy gelding I got for my kids (and me)about 10 years ago for a couple years, I took it personally and thought she hated me :-( I now realize it's just horsey hormones.. lol ..The last couple days she's starting to be much more aggressive...so I'm thinking it's gotta be close now. I came to this site because I was worried how to be able to handle the foal with her being so crabby, But I've learned a few things from reading previous posts that has been very helpful...This is a great site! I am very grateful I found you folks...My vet is getting alittle tired of all my questions..lol..Merry Christmas!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2723
Posted on Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Lily! Do you have photos of your mare? I too raise miniatures (http://www.mysticrockminis.com) and I started a new site especially for miniature horse owners (http://themysticalmini.com) Feel free to check them out!
I have a couple of questions....
how old is the mare? and has she foaled before? Sometimes maiden mares or young ones will start to bag way in advance, but then do nothing for a while. Both of my very young mares do this , even when they're not due for 4 months. I think you'd do well to check out www.yellowhouseranch.com it gives you alot of great information what to look for in your mare. If you can post pics here, I'm sure many people would love to see them! We can kinda help you figure out how close she may or may not be. What does your vet seem to think as far as how close she is?

Lily Radloff
Neonate

Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 08:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana,

Thanks for the welcome.

Well I thought I posted awhile ago but I guess I didn't press the right buttons. Here goes again.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6872&id=100000245288712#/photo.php?pid=521 82&id=100000245288712

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6872&id=100000245288712#/photo.php?pid=988 55&id=100000245288712

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6872&id=100000245288712#/photo.php?pid=988 56&id=100000245288712

On this last pic her left side seems flatter, so according to the info I've read so far that is a good sign of impending birth, but her vulva isn't that long yet. Haven't tried milking her yet. One other thing...seeing as this is a winter foal I'm worried about keeping it warm. My mini has a shed converted to a stall...it's better then nothing. I was thinking of altering one of my goat blankets to fit the foal...what do you think?

Thanks,
Lily

P.S. I went to your site...very nice...I noticed you live in OK. also, I'm in Tulsa neighbor =oD

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2724
Posted on Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lily, email me your address, and I'll send you a foal blanket! I have plenty, no big deal....you really don't need much as long as they can get out of the wind, they should be ok. I would make every effort to get the foal dry as soon as possible though. Lots and lots of towels. The only blankets I use are just a polar fleece...not waterproof or anything...but they work well. Do you have pics of her udder? Sounds strange, but it doesn't look as if her tail is ready. LOL Usually they start rubbing their butts on everything in site and sitting on the fence, which makes their tail all scrunched up and ruined looking. In my opinion she's really not all that huge. Has she foaled before or is she maiden? Thanks for the compliments! Good to have another Okie on here!
~Diana
kdgilger@att.net

Lily Radloff
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually she's 16 and has had a few foals. I saw her last one, a two year old buckskin filly.The Sire is a beautiful black and white paint. I hope this one is also a paint=)

She has been rubbing on the trees around here, but not just her butt.. all over it seems. That's why her fur is so rumpled...Didn't realize how bad it looked until I downloaded the pic from my camera. Anyway Thank you for the blanket, that would be wonderful I'll pay you for it. I'll send you an email.

Lily

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Lily! Diana is out resident mini expert!
You should check out her forum, its great for us small owners!
I see you also have goats , I do also.
Best Wishes on your foaling and come join us at Dianas site!

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2725
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expert???? LOL hahaha! I never claimed to be an expert....I just obsess over details more than most!

Ann
Breeding Stock
Username: Northernperch

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA Diana...you do a great job obsessing!!!! (And we all benefit from it!)

Merry, Merry to your mini's!

Lily Radloff
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Holly,

Yes Diana is a God-send...She's been so helpful with All my questions and I'm feeling so much less stressed about this whole process of birthing mini-babies=oD
Merry Christmas,
Lily

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2726
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aww, shucks you guys.....i'm blushing! LOL

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2727
Posted on Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lily, just bring her here and I'll foal her out....none of my mares are due until March 1st and I have baby fever so bad i can't stand it! LOL

Lily Radloff
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 04:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Diana..I would love to, but it has Snowed since Thursday ..I know your snowed in...We're almost as bad here..lol...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US