SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

NURSEMARE NEEDED FOR HEATHER IN HOUSTON TX AREA

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » NURSEMARE NEEDED FOR HEATHER IN HOUSTON TX AREA « Previous Next »

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1155
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather Kutyba has lost her mare Grace, and lil Roux is needing a new mommy, if anyone has or knows of a suitable mare within a couple hours of Houston area please contact me at kekenina@frontiernet.net
with your phone number or the number of who to contact ...
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH NO! Poor Heather....My heart breaks for her she has had such a tough tough time between Buddy's health issues and Grace's problems. Please pass on to her that she and little Roux is in my prayers.

Jan O

Paul Liberty
Weanling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, I emailed you some phone #'s. I hope that will help and please let Heather know I'm trying to find her a mare.
Paul

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you Paul!!! I got your email

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 685
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's so sad, Grace was such a beautiful mare. How is Roux doing now? In Heather's last post she said the sugery at the Texas A&M was a sucess, what happened? Does that Texas A&M have any resourses for nursemares? I would think so. Let us know if the info Paul gave you doesn't pan out. There are so many breeders near Houston, I would think their would be plenty of nursemares available. Please tell Heather how sorry I am to hear about Grace, and that I'm thinking of her and will be praying for baby Roux. Hugs, charlene

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 953
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tell Heather she is in our prayers. My heart breaks for her :-(

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 02:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, I was just wondering why Heather couldn't just bottle feed Roux? Isn't there always a chance that a nuremare could reject the foal? I'm new at all this breeding stuff, and was just curious. Thanks

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1158
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 03:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather is trying to bottle feed, syringe and bucket feed Roux... she isnt liking the milk right now, she is eating a bit of grain and hay this afternoon and playing in her water bucket... so hopefully she will catch on...
she was sooo sad and lonely this morning, now Heather had "borrowed" a cutting bred mare thats supposed to be real quiet to be in stall next door, it seems to have made a big difference, Roux seems a bit happier... if her and this mare bond they may start her on hormone therapy to bring her into milk since she has a small bag yet from a previous foal, so prayeres that Roux and her new "friend" will become close and the borrowed mare will be her new mommy if not for food but for lifes lessons! It would be best if she would learn to bucket feed... so prayers!
When Heathers life calms I am sure she will fill everyone in, but the "generic" version is that after her surgery she was doing well till yesterday, she went down and that was it, it was not violent like her last time, she was calm, after taking her back to the university it wasnt long and she had turned really cirtical and a decision had to be made, perforn "salvage" type surgery and no guarantee that she would even come out of suregery let alone recover... or if she did she may be a repeat colicer... or let her go pain free... Heather sat and thought about it and looked at Grace and talked to her and she felt that is wasnt fair to Grace to prolong her (Graces)suffering for her (heathers) happiness... so the choice was made to let her go, so Heather stayed with her and talked to her and told her she was a good girl and thanked her, and said goodbye...she is having her cremated so she can go home and live again....
it such a sad sad deal.... but Heather is a tuff gal and is handling it well right now... she is just trying to get Roux taken care of.....
Thank you to all who have given info, we have lots of calls out and others making calls.... with some luck we may find a milking mommy for the baby! :-) prayers~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 689
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 04:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Kris. I'll be praying that the borrowed mare works out.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh no! Bawling my eyes out after reading this...what a terrible tragedy. You are in my thoughts Heather and I pray that little Roux makes it through unscathed.
So sorry.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 959
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Kris, that made me cry picturing Heather and Grace! My heart is absolutely breaking right now over this :-(

judy cervantes
Breeding Stock
Username: Judy1

Post Number: 208
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 05:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ITS REALY HARD KNOWING THAT WE CANT DO ANYTHING TO HELP,I CANT EVEN AMAGINE HAVING TO SAY GOOD BYE,MY HEART HURTS FOE YOU HEATHER,I'AM SOOOOO SORRY.MANY PRAYERS FOR YOU AND ROUX.TYPING AND CRYING.....

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1138
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm I posted earlier but I guess I didn't do it right, because it's not here.

Anyway, Heather I'm very sorry to hear about you losing your mare. That is so so sad and hard to imagine going through something like that. Please know your in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope you'll be able to find a nursemare for Roux very soon.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if anyone wants to look in on Roux and her buddy Ruby here is the link....
http://www.marestare.com/txgallery.php

Kristin Buchanan
Nursing Foal
Username: Josiesfriend

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 10:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Heather trying a goat? She could continue to bucket feed the foal formula next to the cutting mare, and put a goat in there. The foals usually like goats. The foals start to get very lonely without an animal they can feel, sleep, breathe, hear next to. My friend's great broodmare died with a severe intestinal twist two years ago after foaling out a gorgeous stud colt. The colt was "adopted" by their 30 year old gelding. The tried to put him with a mare who lost her foal, but the mare was extremely aggressive toward the colt. The gelding/colt relationship really worked out. The colt followed him around like he was his dam, even when we needed to vet him or for branding, he needed to have the gelding right by him, it was amazing! What a good grandpa! The grandpa taught him to be a horse...I'd try a goat or a nursemare. The Houston area must have a good network of breeders who have good ideas also!

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 942
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im so sorry to hear of your loss Heather thoughts and prayers for you and your little guy

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris: this post was on the pleasure horse journal form this am....I've contacted the lady...I know she's far away, but it could be a nice match....she has asked where to find Heather's ranch...I've directed her here and to the MareStare site.....

here is her post from today...so sad:

I am done as far as trying to get my mare to have another foal at least for a couple of years. She is by Last Detail and lost a full term Art I Sweet last spring, and lost a full term Coats N Tails yesterday morning. I can't hardly believe it has happened again. Anyway, I am going to sell the Coats N Tails breeding, if anyone is interested and if Richland Ranch will allow me to do this. This has never been an issue before. I have never not decided to breed. I just don't think I can put myself through this again. I have an Art I Sweet due April 6th from one of my other mares, and after that, I am going to concentrate on showing some of what I have without breeding anymore. I had been so lucky up until the past three years never having lost a single foal, and now I can't seem to get any healthy ones on the ground. I know it is late to be deciding to breed to Coats N Tails, but this was going to be my "dream team" so to speak. I had everything riding on this foal...even paying to keep the mare at an equine clinic to make sure nothing went wrong. Julia has plenty of milk, so if anyone needs a mare for a motherless foal, I might be able to help if you live close to Atlanta or Birmingham. Feeling low right now. Don't understand.

Options Reply

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather is in the houston area.
she had not tried a goat, however she is on her way to get some goats milk right now.

Phyllis Schroder
Weanling
Username: Shadowbend

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so terribly sorry to hear about this tragedy.
Please let me know if the current mare doesn't make a suitable friend for the foal. I am close by and run to Houston often and have a wonderful 28 yr old gelding that has raised many youngsters after weaning and am sure he would take to a new foal like it was his.
Meantime, I will touch base with some friends in the Houston area and see if there's any mares available that will accept a second foal or lost one. Best Wishes

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 02:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is so awful.

Its so sad watching poor Roux walk around that stall alone :*(

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 07:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, I saw Roux on marestare and it broke my heart. I hope some company shows up soon.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 675
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To all.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am sorry to not have posted. Kris & Raven have been practically angels in helping to communicate and find resources for me. When things settle down a little, I will get back on and explain all that happened.
But, right now all efforts are placed on helping Roux...and it is a job that is taking all hours of the day between caring for her and making phone calls.

Graces arrangements have been finalized. While I could not bring her home the way I wanted, she is still coming home. She is being cremated and will be buried in her pasture underneath the large oak trees.

I wish you all could have known Grace the way I did...
I miss her terribly and this all seems so sureal.
[URL=http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f298/HeatherCK11/Grace/?action=view&current=21 4d1ab8.pbw][IMG]

Rest well my Gracie. You are dearly loved and will be greatly missed.

Blessings to all, and we will talk soon
Heather

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 03:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

update from Heather>>>

Ok, things have kinda changed a bit.

Roux's behavior/demeanor has taken a lackluster tone. I have contacted my vets and the university. I do not like how she is doing. The longer she goes w/out a mommy...we are going to get into big problems.
Last night, she had an aggressive episode that was very serious and that tells me her stress level is too high.

Ruby has been extremely helpful to Roux, but I fear that it is not enough. The time that it may take to get Ruby going to accept Roux may be too long.

I was able to find a mare this morning that is milking. She is going to be delivered here sometime this afternoon. The vets are going to meet up here at the same time to assist in trying to introduce the two. We are going to give it a huge effort to make this work for Roux.
If this does not show promise, I may be hauling Roux to a nursemare farm later today where a team of professionals can take over. I really feel that time is of the essence for Roux. Mostly emotionally/behaviorally.
If we can't bond her to a mare soon, her behavior is going to worsen...and that is a bad thing.
She needs the comfort of a mare more than the nutritional aspect.

When the mare does arrive, we will be shutting the cam down. I don't know how long it will stay down, as we will be playing it by ear.

I am trying to stay out of Roux's stall unless needed. She is overly sensitive to stimulus right now, so I keep it to a minimum so as not to upset her and prompt negative behavior.
She is confused, frustrated and upset.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather what a beautiful photo tribute to an outstanding friend. She will be waiting at the rainbow bridge. All of our prayers are for Roux right now and for her sweet young life. May you find the perfect match and may she have some peace. Special blessings to you Kris and Raven and all the other angels helping in a time of need.

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 406
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 04:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, that was a beautiful tribute to Grace. I am sorry for your loss and pray that all goes well with Roux and the nursemare.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 956
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awsome tribute im so srry for your loss I still miss the friend i lost I only hope you can find some good out of it and that Roux pulls through she looks a lot like momma.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 716
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Heather, I'm so sorry to hear about Grace. I love the slide show you posted of Grace, she is so beautiful,( I put it in my favorites) Don't worry about posting to us, there will be plenty of time for that later. Right now I know you need to put all your focus on Roux. I hope that mare that Kris mentioned works out. I be praying for you and little Roux. Hugs Charlene

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I could think of words that would make everything all right, but I can't. I pray the Roux will find a nursemare that can care for her. It's such an emotional time for you Heather, I'm so sorry. But you are a strong woman and you and Roux will get through this together. I'm praying for both of you.

God bless you Heather.
Marilyn

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 978
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 08:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, again I'm so sorry for your loss :-( Beautiful tribute to your girl. I'll continue praying for Roux and you.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE!!!!
ROUX IS NURSING ON THE NEW MARE ,,,, PRAYERS THAT ALL CONTINUES TO DO WELL!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 719
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YIPPEEE!!!!!! That is great news Kris. I'm so happy. Do mare and foal seem to like each other, or did someone have to restrain the mare? I'll pray that everything continues to go smoothly. Please keep us updated.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 720
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris, when will the foal cam be back on?

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we are not sure of the details, just a text from heather to raven saying shes nursing... soooo
we are waiting to hear more and for the cam to come on....
i will be heading to bed soon, but any other updates i will post them tonight or in the am unless raven or heater beats me to it :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES! YES! YES! That is FANTASTIC news! We will continue with the prayers and positive vibes. Thanks Kris, you made all of our nights!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 438
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Heather, my heart is breaking for you.

I will send up prayers that Roux and the nursemare will bond and things will look up for the little one.

(((hugs)))

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 979
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good news!!! Continue to keep my fingers crossed

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 174
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 04:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful mare and what a tragedy.
My prayers are with Roux and I hope she continues to do well with the foster mare.
((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))) for Heather, I can't imagine how you are feeling.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so excited that Roux is nursing!!!!!! Yea Roux!!!! My husband is very happy too! I can't wait to hear an update and hopefully the cam will come back on.

Thank you Kris for keeping us updated. You are a doll. :-)

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

message from heather off marestare baord
The outpouring of hope and prayers you have all provided brings tears to my eyes. Thank you to everyone for caring the way you do.

Trying to figure out where to start is hard. Since early morning Wednesday when I lost Grace, the number of hours I've slept could probably be counted on one hand. Watching over Roux and working for a solution has been a 24/7 effort by not only myself, but so many others. Needless to say, I am a bit fumbly...but it is what has to be done.

Yes, God bless Ruby! Ruby has provided a window of opportunity to find a mare for Roux. Her role in all of this is significant. Goodness knows, if Ruby had milk letting down I don't think I could keep Roux off of her (she has been in love). The meet/greet session we had with them was eventful...as Roux was so eager she was "coming on too strong"! The little darling had to have a little cocktail to take the edge off. She has been desperate to be loved again. That desperation, however, was wearing on Roux...and the lack of contact created a huge frustration. It became evident early in the morning that waiting for Ruby was no longer an option.

As soon as the sun rose, I made some desperate calls again and talking to the veterinarians explaining what I was seeing in Roux. They too agreed that something had to give, and soon...before Roux started to give up. Some orphan foals are content to have only a companion if a nurse mare cannot be found, but Roux wasn't going to be one of those foals.

Before noon, I received a call from my vet that there was a mare offered for Roux. It was actually the perfect scenario. She was in the process of being weaned from her foal. She was also not far away and would be able to come here.
The vets coordinated most of it, and even picked up & delivered the mare for me. They have come together to help Roux in so many ways that I don't even know how to tell them thank you.

So, "Lucy" was brought to the barn this afternoon. She is a lovely older TB girl of 21 years.
The doctors stayed to assist with the introduction and make sure Lucy and Roux were safe. While Lucy has had multiple foals, getting new mares/new foals to bond can sometimes be a long process and one done with caution. Therefore, we are being very careful right now.
So far, Lucy is allowing Roux to nurse. We have built a makeshift barrier with hay bales in case Lucy gets fussy. Each attempt requires supervision and at least 1 handler for the mare and one for Roux. The vets stayed until after 10 pm for the first few introductions. All went very well and Roux had multiple times nursing.
You could practically feel the weight lift off everyone in the barn when Roux made "contact"! It was a touching moment to know we had hope and all would not be lost.
Little Roux finally had the full belly she needed....as soon as she latched onto Lucy, Roux relaxed and the change in her was immediate. No longer was she irritable and worried..no kicking out. Roux's whole demeanor softened and the tension was gone from what was once a very sad foal. She then layed down and slept for almost 2 hours!

As of now, it is a round-the-clock effort to bring mare/foal together every 2-3 hours until both girls bond to one another. Roux, without mistake...she thinks Lucy takes the cake, but Lucy needs more time to get bonded. This is normal. As Lucy starts to make a direct bond with Roux, we will give them more and more direct contact. We are all optimistic. Lucy has been good as gold and required no restraint other than a halter/lead rope. The bales of hay are mostly to protect Roux in the event that Lucy protests for some reason.

At least one of the vets will be returning tomorrow to monitor how things are going and provide assistance.
For now, I am heading off to catch a little sleep.
Good nite/morning everyone
Heather

still no cam...
buts thats ok, if all goes well maybe later?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, that is such great news. I'm so happy and excited all at the same time. I hope things continue to go well for both of them. I'm so glad you have so many wonderful people to help you out with all this. Try and get some sleep. I hope the cam will be on soon, so I can see the new momma and Roux. Take care of yourself! Charlene

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 982
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, every time I read a post about Roux I end up crying! She is such a strong little girl and will end up being your best horse, I just know it! I'm so glad to hear things are going better for her. I can't even to begin to imagine what you are going thru between grieving for Grace and worrying about Grace's baby that she left behind. Just know that there are so many people out there pulling for you and your little girl. God Bless You.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 05:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

another update from Heather....
Things are going as well as can be expected. The frequent nursing with Lucy and Roux are going well. Thus far, there have been no real problems and Lucy is patient.
They are starting to bond (ok, well, lucy is starting to bond...Roux bonded immediately!).
Lucy was quite unhappy this afternoon when Roux was taken away from her after a nursing session! This is really great because that means that Lucy is starting to think of Roux as "hers".

This afternoon, the vet is coming over to assist in the next step, which is going for a walk in the pasture. We will be practicing having Roux led behind Lucy....and then let Roux get some exercise. All of this requires a number of hands to be available to help out...and keep things in check as much as we can.

Lucy is a wonderful mare! Bless her heart, having to take on another foal when she was suppossed to go into retirement probably was not in the plans. But, I am grateful that she's willing to give it a go :-). The past foal has pulled her down a bit, and with her age she's a little wispy looking. She is beautiful in my eyes.
In time, we will have her back in top condition. Just going to take a little time since she is once again having to nurse a foal.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 727
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is great news Kris. Give Lucy a hug for me. How old is she?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather and Kris....God's angels come in all sizes and shapes and today Lucy is an angel sent to watch over Roux~Hugs~Jan

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1161
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, thank God for Lucy! I'm so anxious to see pictures of the two of them. But I know that in due time, we'll be able to see them. Right now it's more important to get Roux and Lucy together. I'm so happy things are progressing along and soon you'll be able to enjoy watching instead of participating. It sounds like that won't be too much longer. Keep up the good work Heather.

Kris, you are a dear friend of hers to keep us posted and to be there for Heather. I'm sure she appreciates it. Bless your heart!

Bonny
Neonate
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 07:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is such a heart warming thread. Heather, Sorry for your loss, Grace was a beautiful mare. I loved her tribute. How are things going for Roux and Lucy now? Hope all is well.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread has been one of heartaches and tears not only did it remind me of my loss almost 2 years ago when my loved one passed on, mostly the heartaches and determination of one strong women. My hat is off to you I know how hard it was to lose something you love ever so much!to have to continue and not mourne like we should because there's a bigger picture! I'm so happy you found a nursemate may they both bond! Thank the owner of the mare for me she was GOD sent! Good luck with your baby you have done an excellent job! Dont worry about us, get back to us and update when you can!

L

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UPDATE: long post copied from Mare stare:

Dear all,

First, I want to thank each and everyone of you for the patience, kindness, prayers and thoughts provided for Roux and I. You are a special group of people that have shared in the loss of Grace and subsequent concern for her baby Roux.

Hopes were high when the mare Lucy came to us. Initially, the process of bonding went very well and she appeared on all aspects to accept her new charge. The moment she came in, the two hit it off and the first nursing attempt was a success. By Saturday night, with observation and a person at hand, Lucy had progress to allowing Roux to nurse at will, resting her head on Roux, and the two were munching alfalfa together.
Early Sunday, for whatever reason Lucy began to show disconnection with the foal. Despite all efforts, by Monday morning Lucy had completely rejected Roux. She had made her decision and it was one we honored.
Lucy is a wonderful mare and I hold no ill will towards her. What we asked of her is a lot. She is an older girl, and has done her part in life. While she may have appeared willing initially, it became apparent that continuing on was not only not in Roux's best interest...we felt it was not acceptable to put this lovely older mare in a position she was not ready for. No matter what, she will hold a special place in my heart....because even if it was only temporary, she found a place for Roux...and that is worth something.

It was a huge blow and hopes were dashed. Efforts to locate a suitable companion or mare within the area fell through. Without at least a companion, keeping Roux safe and happy would be difficult. The last thing I want or need was for Roux to be injured.
After weeks of caring for Grace post-surgically, and then spending almost every moment taking care of Roux in the wake of Grace's death...I was fatigued and spent to the point of exhaustion. Conceeding that the level of my fatigue presented a problem in itself, was not something I had anticipated.
All I wanted was for Roux to be ok, and secure her health...and at this point that meant allowing someone else to take over.
Therefore, arrangements were made for Roux to be transported several hours away to a friends farm where she could be matched with a companion in a safe environment. It was a hard decision...one made with a great deal of tears, but still a necessity. Little Roux walked straight into the trailer like a champ. With the assistance of a family member I started the long haul towards what was best for Roux. When we arrived, she stepped off the trailer and settled into a stall that was bedded and ready.
While others vowed to watch over her, I slept for the first time in 7 days. Woke in the morning to a new day. Granted, it was rainy as ever . When the storms slowed, I was able to visit with Roux for a while before heading back. She looked good and rather pleased with her new accomadations and lush alfalfa (there's loyalty for ya!). Plans were to pull one of the donkeys in to keep her company. Saying "see you later" was a choker, but I knew that she was ok...and that was all that mattered.
On the way home, I received an unexpected call from the owner of the stallion Roux is by. She had been keeping up with the situation with Roux and wanted to help. In a sad twist of fate, one of her mares had lost a foal. She felt that this mare needed a new baby and said that she was willing to haul her to Roux....and that perhaps, just maybe, the loss we both had experienced didn't have to be in vain.
Today, Roux and the mare were introduced to one another and are being worked with in a facility that is experienced in bonding mares with foals. So far, everything is going ok...but we are all taking this one day and one step at a time. I hesitate to get my hopes up, but it is hard not to . Everyone involved needs a success story.

I get reports daily and will be letting you all know how it goes. I will also be returning this weekend and will be sure to take pictures. In the mean time, think good thoughts, ok?

Blessings to all,
Heather

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the update Kris, just when you think things are finely looking up...Everything happens for a reason they say. I hope this new mare bonds well with Roux and vice versa.

Heather, Roux is so lucky to have such a loving and dedicated owner such as yourself. I'm sure everything will work out in the end and Roux will be home with you in the near future. I will continue to keep you and Roux in my prayers.

Heather, please take care of yourself and may God bless you.

Marilyn

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm crying again! Thanks for keeping us in the loop Kris, and Heather just know you have so many people behind you sharing in the triumphs and the losses. We are all pulling for little Roux and await the day that she can be home with you a strong weanling! I can't wait to see pictures :-)

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 185
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a thread of lows and highs this is.
I am praying daily for Roux and hope that her new Mummy wants her. Bless her poor baby socks.

Hugs for you Heather, you have been so strong at such a dreadful time x x

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 979
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Havent posted much but thoughts and prayers for you and poor Roux.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 09:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update!
The new mare TJ loves Roux and is protective of her!!! They have bonded, but are staying at the bonding farm to be sure it will continue that way for lil Roux... so she doesnt lose another "mommy"
They should be coming home soon though, Roux and her new "mommy" as soon as they feel confindent enough about the bond!!
Thanks guys for all your prayers and support!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 763
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great new Kris. I will pray that everything continues to go well for Roux and her new mommy TJ.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the best news I've heard in a long time! Roux will be home before you know it and the mare has a new baby to take care of. It's a win win... Yipppee!! My husband was just asking about Roux this morning. :-)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1024
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news! I can't wait to see Roux and her new mommy :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kris~Thanks for keeping us updated! Very exciting news! Fingers and toes crossed the positive bond continues for both horses...both win.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 05:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lovely news!
Thanks for keeping us updated Kris and pass on our love and good wishes to Heather please.

Cjskip
Weanling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 50
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heather, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. How awful. She was a beautiful mare and the foal is adorable. I hope you can find some comfort in having a foal from her. I can understand your sadness. Somtimes things just happen and we never know why. I wish you and the baby the best.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US