SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Help my filly is standing over her knees !!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Help my filly is standing over her knees !!! « Previous Next »

Kathy had FILLY 3/1/08~ Cooly due 4/4/08
Yearling
Username: Kckcnurse

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My filly was born March 1, 2008 and now a week old she is standing bow legged in the front and her knees appear to buckle in. I did call the vet and he stated to cut down on the grain. I was feeding a scoop of 12% with a scoop of 16% AM & PM. Does anyone have any other suggestions??? She is so beautiful and I don't want anything to happen to her.

This is a picture of her at 3 days old with her mom. First time outside.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6219.jpg

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 928
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this young of an age I don't even feed grain to the baby, it should be getting enough from mom. When the foal is approx a month old or so I feed mom grain in a large feedbin on the ground and let the foal share whatever mom is eating. I have never had a problem doing it this way and all my foals have grown up nice and healthy :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1200
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I agree with Tracy! Momma's milk is all she needs...no grain for baby...I fed my mare mare and foal in a feeder high enough to keep the babies out. Alfalfa hay feed to mom and baby can munch....I hope that your vet is going to come out and check on your fillies legs...good thing they are young and survive inspite of our best efforts :-) Well the worry does'nt end when the hit the ground does it? She is a beautiful filly you got there. Love the pic of them out together...

Yearling

Post Number: 84
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone thanks for the info. As it goes for the filly she isn't eating any grain right now. Only the mom has been. I guess the protein was too much though. That's why I'm backing off the 16% and only feeding MOM a scoop of 12% Am & PM. I hope that's enough for mom and that the filly's legs will straighten out.

Does that sound ok ???? ~K~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 931
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 04:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds great Kathy and I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :-) Keep us updated.

Yearling

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Tracy I'm going to get some pictures tomorrow so everyone can see her knees and see what I'm talking about. There was no change today. But everyone that came up to see her saw the way she was standing and asking me if this was normal or not??? I don't know what to say??? If it doesn't look any better I will have the vet up ASAP. All the vet said is she is taking a growth spurt and that he felt this is normal. Thanks though. ~K~

Catherine Owen
Yearling
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 59
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is only 10 days old. She will probably straighten out a lot on her own. Is she having trouble traveling? I mean is it interfering with her getting around?

My yearling filly literally looked cow-hocked as a little baby and she straightened up a ton on her own and with the help of the farrier. She looks great now. A good farrier at a very early age can make a lot of difference if there is an issue.

If the filly is "over" at the knee that isn't that uncommon in little babies.

Over the years, we have only had to actually cast two babies at such an early age. They both turned out alright. Both were hind leg problems though and had resulted from the way they had "laid" in their mommas.

If it is really bothering you and/or interfering with her way of going, get your vet out to see her ASAP. If there is an issue, then the vet and your farrier will probably have good luck getting her right starting at such an early age.

Yearling

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Catherine for all the nice info. I'll get some pictures today. She is traveling around great as if there is no problem. She runs, rears & bucks. She just looks tired in the knees as if she's been standing all day and their going to cave in and she is tired of holding herself up. She is though so cute. ~K~

Catherine Owen
Yearling

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy,
She is probably going to be okay. She is a cutie-pie! I mean, what a sweetheart.

A lot of little ones literally have to get their legs under them and it can take a couple of weeks or so to get really strong. The fact that she is running and playing is a great sign and means she is exercising and building up strength.

Get with your vet and farrier and get their opinions, but I bet it isn't anything terrible above and beyond what time and some good early trimming can't resolve.

As a side note, at the end of the day, I am tired in the knees and feel like they are going to buckle. My vet and farrier tell me there is nothing they can do for me though. I guess its just a 40-something woman thing.

Yearling

Post Number: 97
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 02:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone ~ Here are pictures of Pebbles legs. I did call the vet and he'll be here today at 5pm. I'm just going to say my prayers that all is ok !!!! ~K~

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6231.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6226.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6228.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6234.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6237.jpg

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, What a cute little filly...her face is just too cute. After seeing your pics I am really glad you are having a vet out to see what the best course of action for her little legs. It's now while things are still growing that they can do the most good for her. I will say a prayer for her too and let us know what the vet says!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1129
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is adorable! The 4 year old mare that was given to me this last fall has wind swept back legs. The previous owners said she was extremely bad at birth. She had the vet work on her from the get go, so she's in good shape today because of the vet's fine work.

She still has one back leg that is slightly windswept, but she is amazing how good she moves. In fact, she was approved by the german judge for the American Holsteiners to use her as a broodmare.

I'm glad the vet is going to help you. Good luck!

Catherine Owen
Yearling

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 03:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh...
Looks like perhaps a bit of angular limb deformity (ALD).
Your vet will probably want to x-ray Pebbles to ascertain the extent. He/She'll probably grade it at that point (ALD is graded in degrees from one to four).
I still don't think she looks that awful or horrible. She seems to be functioning okay. I think it may be a matter of what you are feeding mama and some corrective farrier work.
Your vet may suggest splinting her --- don't freak out. It isn't that big of a deal and the little bones are soft right now so it is a pretty rapid process for them to straighten and do so dramatically. We've had a couple of foals splinted before and once they learned how to navigate the things, they bucked and played, etc. They don't typically have to stay on too long.

I'm curious to know what your vet says. Please keep us posted. She is a doll.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 940
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's beautiful! I agree that the vet may want to splint her legs but now is the time to do it to turn it around. Keep us posted.

Paul Liberty
Weanling
Username: Sptxthrill

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 04:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that filly of yours is too cute! we've had a few foals with the same thing. my vet advised me to keep them in a stall and not let them have too much excercise. as far as being 'over' the knees we also gave them a shot of Oxytetracyline and also splinted the legs and that straightened them out. your farrier can do some corrective trimming to help with the bow-leg. foals this young usually can straighten out by themselves in about 30 days but I am curious to hear what your vet says about it.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 101
Posted on Monday, March 10, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

~~ Thanks Everyone for the GREAT Advice !!~~

The vet was here and I feel sooo bad because I've used this vet for 7 yrs and NEVER had a problem with him till TODAY !!!! He basicaly gave me NO ANSWER !!!! He told me that he was going to talk with another vet regarding this matter. He told me to back off the mares grain and continue to let Pebbles out for plenty of excercise. IS THIS RIGHT OR WRONG ???!!! Should I put her out or not ???? I have to work the next 2 days doing 12 hr shifts. I told my husband that if he see a change in her to call another vet immed. I'm going to call my vet and inform him about you guys and all the info everyone gave me. Maybe he will get the same info from the other vet he talks with.

Thanks Again Everyone ~K~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 945
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly I have never heard of this being caused by grain fed to the mare. Usually you have to feed quite a bit of grain to the mare for a good milk supply. I would definitely get a second opinion and I would keep her inside until you do.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 672
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 01:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, if I were you I'd definately get another vet. Pebbles is so stinking cute. I'm sure she is going to be ok. I love her binky. What kind is it, and where did you get it? I bought one from Schneiders, and I'm hoping it will fit. What size is Pebbles blanket? Keep us posted. I'll be praying that her cute little legs will straighten up ok. I definately owe you some prayers.

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1150
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy,
2 years ago I had a colt with bucked knees like that, the only difference is your filly is a bit sideways from the front too....
I can tell you what worked for me with my colt, and you can try it, I tell you it will not hurt your filly to do it, cut it can defineately help!!!
I had tried stall rest, I had tried 24 hour turn out, we tried shaving the legs and applying a topical anti-inflamatory(surpass)... nothing had worked, the next step was to have a consult for cutting ligaments... I did NOT want to go that route so out of desperation I tried this and it worked!!!!
Find a Proegressive feed dealer in your area and buy "rejuvenaide"
http://www.prognutrition.com/RejuvenaidePowder.htm
mix it per package directions using DISTILLED water and syringe it into their mouth....
I swear it works WONDERFUL!!! it did for me anyway!!!!!!!! like I said it cant hurt to try it....
it is a vitamin.mineral quench... sometimes if the foals levels got out of balance in utero or after foaling they will buck like this, the tendons and ligaments will contract.... if its caused by an inbalance this product will help!!
NO I am not a dealer.... just a very satisfied user!!! and if i ever have the problem again I iwll surely use it!!!! I didnt even use the foal feed... however when he was weaned i did use progressives grass formula feed.... good stuff!!!

heres a pic of his legs.... this isnt the worst they were, this is when they first started.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/101_7082.jpg
within 3 days of using it i could see a difference.
here he is a short time later.
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_7952-1.jpg

if you cnnot find a progressive dealer try to find a buckeye dealer and the product they sell that is supposed to be the same is called "foal-aide"

good luck and i hope the lil darlin turns out ok!!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kris, I could not remember whose baby had sort of that look to their little legs...Jericho! I remember that cutie patootie! You should post a real recent pic so she can see what a handsome lad he grew into! Thanks for jumping in and sharing.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I would definetly get a second opinion. Perhaps call the closet Equine Hospital to get a referral or haul mom and baby to them. Legs are too important to wait and see in my so humble opinion. I am not a vet just a horse enthusiast and I can tell that something is not standard with sweet sweet Pebbles...she is too nice not to give her the best shot of living life on 4 good legs. Hugs~I can only imagine how stressful this is to you too.

Catherine Owen
Yearling

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy,
Don't be so quick to judge your vet. I sort of agree, you don't want her growing too fast at this point with this problem (thus backing off the mares grain) and he said he was going to consult with another vet (thus, already a second opinion). Sometimes these little guys straighten out quite a lot on their own in a very short period of time.

If I had to lay odds in Vegas on this, I would bet he will call you back and tell you they want to x-ray her and to bring her in for that. The fact that he is going to get a consult (another vet) on his own is good. Maybe this just isn't exactly his "thing" but he obviously is trying to work with you on it. I would rather he consult with another vet than immediately make a wrong diagnosis.

As for turning the mare and baby out for lots of exercise, I wholeheartedly agree. Exercise will not hurt her and will help her get stronger which in turn will help this problem.

Let me know what your vet says regarding his consult. I bet he will call you back today. If he doesn't then, if she was mine, yes, I would go ahead and get a second opinion. And tell your current vet you are doing this, he may be able to suggest a local/nearby expert to take her to, perhaps whoever he was going to consult with. Keep the lines of communication open with him, he has been your vet for 7 years and you seem to like him.

I bet by this time next week, a) the baby will be somewhat better, and b) you will have a course of action/therapy for her.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I feel your stress and pain. Please know that I'm praying for your little filly. She's absolutely the cutiest little girl!!!

I hope you get some answers back from your vet very soon.

Take care.
Marilyn

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan O... thank you....:-)
heres the most recent pic i have of my lil man...
this was his first time wearing a saddle, not the best picture, but hte one that shows his lower legs the best...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_4738.jpg

here is my FAVORITE pic of him form this fall...
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/krismoos/100_3560.jpg

as far as turn out and stall rest... I have several different opinions from vets and experienced horse people...
basically the things I was told were: if you turn them out and they are straight(or straighter) but as the day wheres on they are getting worse then shorter turn out periods is good, with rests in between because you do not want them to over exert their legs since they are not properly held by the tendons/ligaments, but tehn the contradiction I got was well if you confine them they will never stretch the tendons that are contracting.... ok makes sense.... but then so does the first....

also as far as what you are feeding the mare.... yes it CAN make a difference.... but usually high protien affects babies joints more than the tendons/ligaments like the DOD and epiphisytis (I also dealt with that the year before with a different foal) I guess it could, since most leg issues ARE nutrition based.... but on the other hand it could be LACK of something too.....and by cutting down on it maybe it could cause more of a problem????
I dont think the % you are feeding is too much at all.... mom isnt fat... she looks pretty good, if you cut her too much her milk quality will go down and you may start a whole new issue......
I WOULD DEFINEATELY HAVE A SECOND AND THIRD OPINION... AND IF YOU HAVE A HOSPITAL OR UNIVERSITY CLOSE BY THAT MAY BE THE ROUTE TO GO... SOMEONE WHO SPECIALIZES IN THESE TYPE OF THINGS....

I guess I wouldnt worry so much if it were just bucked (bent over at side view)... but being swept from the front is my concern.....

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 173
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy - I agree with the rejuvinade - I used it on my colt. I used the paste. Also - do not stall that baby. Exercise is the best thing to straighten legs. I still would get another vet opinion also.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jericho looks fab! He has really grown into a nice looking horse :-) I like the picture of him looking over his shoulder too!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 947
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think what it boils down to is we probably haven't helped you at all and probably confused you more! As you have seen from all these posts there are differing opinions of what is the right thing to do so obviously whatever the vet recommends is the best. I know that we all wish you the best and please keep us posted :-)

Linda Bauer --Rita due 4/29
Weanling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couple years ago I had a colt over in the knees. Nothing like your filly but I was very concerned. By three months he had corrected himself. If You look close you can see it from the front in this pic. He is 1 month
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/horses/BOGIE9-26.jpg
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/horses/BOGIE9-26-06.jpg better from side pic taken same day 1 month
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z217/llazyt/horses/11-18-06_BOGIE.jpg
this pic is 3 months and looking good.
Just thought I would ad for a little morale booster

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 09:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

**** WOW **** You guys get 4 STARS for all the help and advice !!!! I have another vet coming Thursday 9 am: To look at Pebbles. I can't wait !!! There is no change (which is good). I spoke with a friend that raises race horses and she told me to put a standard leg wrap on her front legs. So we did that and had her out in the round pen. It was cold and damp out so they were only out for about 1 hr.

I hope wrapping the legs were ok. (????)

Again a BIG Thank You to all of You !!!!

Kris ~ I found a dealer only 20 mins that sells Rejuvenaide and my husband is going first thing in the morning to get it. I gave him instructions on how to make it and have him administer it to her. I work 7am to 7pm tomorrow (Wed). I know I'll be calling him hourly for an update on her condition. Thanks for showing me pictures of your colt. He is very beautiful.

Linda ~ I also love your little guy, how cute !!

Charlene ~ I will get more info on the blanket. I was in a rush when I got home. I couldn't wait to see Pebbles. The girls that train and give lessons at my stable, wrapped Pebbles legs for me so I was so wrapped up with seeing how they did. ~K~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy~Sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers for Pebbles! Glad you are pushing forward and proactive for that special filly! She is lucky to have you.

Tim Popovitz
Neonate
Username: Dystocia

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 12:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like you have two issues to manage there, the first being the flexural deformity(over the knees) and a slight carpus varus in the left front (the cannon angles inward below the knee).

The flexural deformity:

There are several schools of thought here, all can be successful if managed carefully. The following is the method we have had the most success with, so that is what I know the most about.

limit exercise- It seems that the more stress is put on already contracted tendons, the more they want to contract, so we usually limit turn-out to maybe a couple of 1hr sessions daily.

Tetracycline injections- the popular concensus here is that the tetra. ties-up the calcium in order for the tendons to "catch-up" with the skeletal frame. I don't know why it works really, but it does.

Medications such as ROBAXIN- this is a muscle-skeletal relaxer, it can be given orally and has very few side effects I've seen.

Bandaging- we use furacin sweats in order to generate a bit of warmth to help relax the tendons as well as offer a bit of support.

Surgery- I've never taken care of a foal who has had a tendonotomy for contraction, but I've heard of it being done successfully.

The Carpus Varus:

Again, there are several schools of thought here. I've worked for owners who wanted to correct this at the earliest possible opportunity, and owners who did nothing more than corrective trimming/shoeing. There are several proven surgical techniques available, but IMHO, this is nothing that needs to be rushed into. Careful, corrective trimming, possibly some progressive shoeing at an early age can be VERY theraputic.

It is difficult to evaluate your horse accurately with pictures, so I offer my opinions to be taken with a grain of salt. I am only trying to give you a few bits of information to consider BEFORE the vet arrives as there are likely going to be a few decisions that will need to be made.

Good luck, and don't worry too much. I've seen MUCH worse.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 - 06:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan and Tim thanks for your support. I've printed all the info out to share this with the vet that is coming tomorrow.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the prayers. ~K~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone ~ The 2nd Vet was out today. I called him because I heard he's the best with horse legs.

He said Pebbles was standing over at the knee and slightly toed in also. He gave her a shot to knock her out (which was hard to see a baby down and out). He gave her IV Tetracycline 100 mg 30cc IV. He then put on a modified Robert Jones splint/wrap on her front legs (from the top to bottom of her legs _ He gave me instructions to leave her in for the next 2 days. On the 2nd day remove bandages and give him a call with an up date.

At this time Pebbles is having a hard time in getting up with her new puffy legs.

I'll get some pictures later today of her so you can see how her legs are wrapped.

The vet said that this might be due to the way she was lying in the uterus, or gentics.

Thanks again everyone for your prayers . The vet did say she was a very social filly that followed him around in her stall.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 695
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy, so what is the Tetracycline supposed to do? I've never heard of a Robert Jones splint/wrap. I'm curious to see what it looks like. Did he say he thought this splint would do the trick? You don't think it was gentics do you? Does the splint keep her from bending her knees? I hope your little sweetie pie is going to be ok. Keep us posted. Prayers and hugs!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 965
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh good Kathy, it sounds like things are being taken care of and I bet your filly will be fine! :-) I can't wait to see the pics :-)

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 947
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tetracycline is an antibiotic most comonly used for respitory infections. Do me a favor plz and see if you notice any discoloration of her teeth. Its supposed to be a possible side effect but ive never had it happen although I only use the water soluanle version. thanks and I hope she is all better and her legs will remain straight

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy....Continued Prayers for you all during this stressful time! She will probably adapted quickly to her new "legs" those foals can be pretty resilent. Would love to see pics :-) Wow long 2 days..we will be here for you! Hugs..jan

Catherine Owen
Yearling

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 03:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy,
Sounds like she will be fine. Like I said previously, by this time next week, she will probably be much better. Once I saw those first pictures, I thought they might splint her for a bit. Those little bones are so soft still and you have caught her early. You won't have to leave all that on for very long and she will acclimate herself and be getting around pretty good within 24 hours. We have had splinted babies that run and play like there is nothing on them. Keep in mind with these little soft bones its a matter of days (not weeks) for improvement to be noticed.

She is such a cutie, I am glad you caught it so early.

(Message edited by cateowen on March 13, 2008)

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1139
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, your filly will be as good as new very soon. She is such a gorgeous filly, she'll make awesome babies someday.

I can't wait to see the results. I've never seen foals with this problem before, so this is all new to me. It's great that we all help each other.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, March 13, 2008 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone ~ Thanks again for all the SUPPORT !!!

Here are some pictures of Pebbles with her legs wrapped. The first ones are the ones the vet put on (their the drk. blue ones) but in 3 hrs she had them off. So I rewrapped with one layer of cotton (instead of 2) and applied the pink vet wrap. I hope this will work just like the one the vet applied.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6259.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6255.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6280.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6276.jpg

Here is Pebbles cute face saying, "Thanks Everyone". Couldn't get through all this without your help.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6261.jpg

I also gave her a dose of Rejuvenaide today. I hope all this works. ~K~

Tim Popovitz
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good deal Kathy!!!!

One last suggestion:

Keep a diary, perhaps with weekly photos and comments to track her progress. There may be periods when her knees may tighten back up a little bit in the coming weeks, especially if she gets to playing hard. You may need to make small adjustments to her turn-out schedule.

Anyway, good luck, it looks like you are on the right track.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 02:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOVE that face! We are all pulling for you Pebbles...you are one special filly!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 969
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 02:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AAAAAWWWWWWW, what a sweetie! I want to kiss her up!

Samantha
Weanling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 03:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awww! How cute is she!

Good luck to you Kathy, and Pebbles too of course :D

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She is the cutest little girl!!! I love the pink wraps, good color for her. :-) I think she's going to be just fine!

Heather Cooke
Breeding Stock
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 105
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good job Kathy.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 09:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a update on Pebbles:
Well she kept the pink leg wraps on. I am going to remove them tomorrow and see if there is any change in her legs. I took mom and Pebbles out for a short walk this afternoon. I think Lakota (mom) is climbing the stall walls. Pebbles ran, bucked and had a blast also knowing she was out in the nice sun shine. She is soooo Beautiful. I told my husband she is a keeper and not for SALE !!! I lover her and her personality. She brings tears to my eyes when I'm with her. ~K~

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 721
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy I'm so happy your girl turned out so beautiful and sweet. I'm still praying that her little legs get better soon. Send more pics soon please, she is so adorable.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Charlene ~ I will get more tomorrow. This is my wknd to work (12 hr shift) so it won't be till after 8pm. But I love taking pictures of Pebbles and I think she likes it too. She is always putting her face right up to the camera as I'm on my knees at her height to get some good shots of her. This filly is so friendly. She follows me around in her stall. I'm afraid with all the pulling at her (example; changing her bandages on her dancing legs & giving her Rejuvenaide by syringe, which isn't easy)I'm afraid she is going to hate me. ~ K ~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1245
Posted on Friday, March 14, 2008 - 11:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy! Great news on the special girl Pebbles...Hoping she continues to heal and continues to grow in your heart :-)

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 980
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful news! I can't wait to see more pics :-)

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 173
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 04:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So glad everything is going well....she is a little stunner isn't she?

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 07:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, what a trooper that little one of yours is. I love her for her tenacity and for her persiverance. (sp?) She is truly a special little filly!

My mare I got last October is a coming 4 year old. She had a bad case of windswept legs when she was born. I've was told she had lots of wrapping and tugging and bracing, ect done on her legs while she was young. Today one of her back legs is still slightly windswept, but you wouldn't know it by her movement. It's very possible she'll have problems when she's way older, but right now, she moves better than the average.

Just to let you know, she is the sweetest, most trusting horse I've ever owned, definatley personality plus!!! She follows me around and is so inquizative. (sp?) So I wouldn't worry about your foal hating you, in fact I think you'll always have a special bond between the two of you. Just thought I'd let you know how my mare turned out with all the early on leg attention she was getting.

I can't wait to hear how Roux doing today. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 725
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy, I wouldn't worry either about Pebbles resenting you. Do you have help when you have to bandage her legs and give her meds? Maybe your helper could distract her with some good scratches while your doing her legs. When ever your done with her legs and meds always give her lots of love and scratches. Keep us posted.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 09:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Guys I fell like I'm at square ONE !!(
I removed the leg wraps and see NO Change !!(
Pebbles lied in her stall while I took the bandage knife and ripped off the vet wrap and removed the cotton packing. She was soooo good ! She never tried getting up. It was as she knew I was there to help. She waited till I was finished and then she got up. I watched and watched and then I think tears came to my eyes seeing NO Change . Was I supose to see anything YET ???? This filly is too sweet to live with bad legs. I mean I would NEVER put her down !!! I mean its just not FARE/RIGHT !!! Sorry I guess I'm just VENTING !!!

Here are some pictures taken today.
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6297.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6287.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6302.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6292.jpg

I went and rapped her legs again. I hope this looks right and I'm not messing her legs up. My husband said to make sure it's above the knee to help her from standing over the knee and help with support. What do you think ??

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6305.jpg
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6306.jpg

Thanks againg everyone for all the help and prayers. ~ K ~

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1160
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't look like it's changed any, but I don't know anything about this type of problem. Do you think the wrap might be too tight? I'm not sure, and I could be wrong, but it looks a little tight on the picture.

Kathy, please don't give up hope. Can you email your pictures to your closet university vet hospital to see what they may suggest?

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 991
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't give up Kathy! I also have never gone thru this so I don't know how long it takes but she's young and strong. When is the vet supposed to come back out?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, Keep the hope and courage up! This will be a process and the change will take time. If I remember correctly your vet said to call back and let him know what was going on..I would and perhaps pick his brain for other alternatives, is there a Equine hospital or university near you? I will continue to pray for Pebbles and complete recovery!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 726
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy, I didn't expect to see much of a change yet. I think it will take some time. Did your vet say how long it would take? Have you talked to your shoer yet? Corrective trims might help. I'm sure time will heal her little legs, don't worry too much.

Tim Popovitz
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looking back over the pictures, it looks as though you have gained a small bit of improvement in the right front. The left front looks about the same though. The important thing is, you've made SOME progress, no matter how small.

These young foals grow soooooo fast that trying to correct this type of thing quickly almost seems futile at first, but the improvements will come eventually, just keep at it. Consult with your vet often.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 181
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 04:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't be downhearted Kathy, these things take time. Positive encouragement from Tim too, teeny, tiny steps.
I do agree with Marilyn though, the bandages look a little tight and that could cause more problems. Could you get your vet to come out and check her again?
Thinking of you, Jane

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone:-) I went back to the barn last night to check the bandage to see if it was tight. I was able to get 3 fingers and it pulled away nicely. I too thought it looked tight in the picture. I wanted it snug so it wouldn't fall down. My husband went out with me and checked also. I think he worries with me.

Thanks for all the support and info I will share this with my husband.

I did e-mail my vet and sent pictures also. I'll wait and see to talk with him on Monday.

I forgot to state that I did have the farrier out & he took some of the inside foot down (very little) as the vet had asked to get done. Pebbles was so good (she stood there for her first trimming). ~K~

Beth Walker
Yearling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, don't give up hope! A close friend of mine had a stud colt last year and his legs looked exactly like your filly's legs. They had their vet out to look at him and the vet was not to worried about it. They put him and the mare out to pasture, and his legs straightened out on their own. His legs look perfectly normal now.

Paul Liberty
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kathy,
I can see some improvement in the pics. I have also dealt with several foals like this and it just takes time to see significant changes. The good thing is you caught this early. Last year we ended up with 3 colts that were over the knees and all three turned out good after they had their legs bandaged (for support) and having getting the Oxcytetracycline along with corrective trimming. The key was to keep the toes long and take some heel off. I also had to give 1 of the colts a 2nd shot of the Oxcytetracycline cuz he was really bad. I had to keep him stalled up for at least 3 weeks then limited his excercise so he wouldn't put any stress on his legs.(after he ran around for awhile you can see his legs shake when he stopped) He is a yearling now. I'll see if I can get some pics of him later today and post it so you can see what he looks like today.
Just hang in there....the changes will come.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 118
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 02:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vet called and asked how Pebbles is. I told him that I e-mailed him pictures. He said to give it some more time. If she isn't showing improvement then maybe by the end of the week he will give her another dose of IV Tetracycline.

I'll keep everyone posted. ~K~

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 960
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thoughts and prayers for poor Pebbles. she will pull thru and be normal

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 119
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul thanks for all the great info that you shared with me. If you have any pictures that I can go by and see that would be great.

I wanted to show halter with her but I guess at this time I won't be. ~K~

Paul Liberty
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Kathy, here are a couple of pics of that colt.
The first one was before he got weaned and after his 2 shots of Oxcytetracycline.
[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/specialthrill/07FirstDownDelight-TellerCa rtel2004.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/specialthrill/07FirstDownDelight-TellerCa rtel2002.jpg[/IMG]

and this is what he looks like today as a yearling
[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/specialthrill/March2008002.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p26/specialthrill/March2008001.jpg[/IMG]

I don't have the pics of when he was first born cuz my other computer crashed big time and I had to get a new one and they couldn't get my pics off the old one....I have lost a bunch of pics!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 121
Posted on Monday, March 17, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul ~ Wow the pictures are great!!! Thanks a bunch
What did you use to wrap his legs? When you wrapped how long did you keep them on his legs?
From the picture he doesn't look like he is standing over his knees as much as my filly. I took off her wraps today and let her and mom out for about 2 hrs. I noticed the filly was lying down alot more today. I feel like a worried mother :-( Is this the colt that you left in a stall for 3 wks? Didn't that drive mom crazy? Do you think I should leave them in? Boy do I have a lot of questions???
Well thanks soooo much for all your help :-) Tomorrow is my son's birthday and I'm taking him to a hockey game. I hope to get more pictures by Thursday and we can determine if there is any change. ~K~

Paul Liberty
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy,
yes this is the colt that I had left in a stall for 3 wks. I used cast padding and vet wrap and then put elastikon on the top to hold it from falling down. I left the wraps on for a week at a time. Mom did get a little irritated and she was an embryo transfer mare. We have a really small turn out pen on the side of the barn that we would put them in for about an hour everyday. I kept his legs wrapped the whole time. He also had 2 shots of Oxytetracycline and the farrier showed me where and how to rasp his feet and I did that like every 2 weeks. It seemed like it took forever for him to straighten out but as you can see in the pics he did!
Paul

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, March 21, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone:-) Just a update on Pebbles legs. Her right front leg is looking much Better. Her left one is still over at the knee and looks about the same. I worry about that one NOW !!! I thought I would see a change in that one also. Do you think in time that leg will straighten also?? I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. I've been off line & busy with my mother. She fell & fractured her skull, wrist, & ribs. She has alot of bleeding & swelling in her brain.

I might have to call the vet for him to evaluate her condition and see what he thinks I should do. I left the wraps off for 3 days but I rewrapped them this evening. ~K~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1281
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I will be praying for your mom! So sorry she must be in a lot of pain. Still thinking of Pebbles. Glad you see some progress that is good but perhaps then she should be re-evalutaed to see the progress and adjust the game plan.

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Is she going to be ok?

That's great news about at least one leg looking good. I'm sure the other one will change with time. Let us know what your vet says.

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 990
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 01:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thoughts and prayers for you your mom and poor Pebbles. Plz keep us posted on their progress.

Jane
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 05:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy, sorry you are having such a rough time....it never just rains but pours.
I hope your mum is quickly on the mend, she must have fallen very hard, thoughts and prayers for her and for Pebbles too. I hope the vet can reassure you x x

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure have a lot on your plate Kathy. I'm sorry to hear about your mother's fall. It sounds like she's in good hands with you care. I hope she recovers quickly.

I'm very happy to hear Pebbels progress. I'm hoping the vet can give you some reassurance that this is normal and both legs will be perfect in time. You're doing great Kathy, keep up the good work!

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, March 22, 2008 - 08:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, sorry to hear about your mother. I'll be sure to keep you both in my prayers.

Cheryl Johnson
Nursing Foal
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, March 28, 2008 - 12:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy-I wish I had some advice for you. Your filly is just too, too cute! She'd make a flashy halter filly. I hope you find a way to get her legs stright-or that it just occurs over time.

Please keep us all posted. We're rooting for your little filly.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 129
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 09:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Cheryl ~ Just an up-date. Pebbles is still standing over her knees :-( The vet is coming back out this Monday to check her out. I'll let everyone know what he thinks. Thanks for thinking of her :-) My dream was to show her in halter. She has the blood lines for it. We'll see . ~K~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Saturday, March 29, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy ~ Hoping the vet can help out. Can you post newer pictures of Pebbles? Are yous still wrapping her legs? Still thinking positive in CA!

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, March 30, 2008 - 07:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, is there other things a vet can do to help correct this surgically. I know this isn't perferable, but if wrapping doesn't solve this problem, I was thinking maybe surgery can solve it. I'm just hoping for other methods, if need be. I still have your foal in my prayers. Please let us know what the vet says.

Marilyn

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so glad you had the vet out to start the correction now. I tried to rescue a little filly, 3 months old last year, very crooked legs. I had the vet out the day after I got her, xrays and exam but was told it was too late for her--He said if she had been treated while she was a couple days old she would have been fine but because there was no correction made they got worse and worse and at that point her knee bones were literally crushed and she had issues with her hocks from trying to take the weight off the front legs. We had to have her put down

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1077
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 03:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dorthy, that is so sad :-( I'm glad you tried though and did do the right thing and put her out of her misery.

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 130
Posted on Monday, March 31, 2008 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Everyone :-) The vet was out today and said Pebbles is 75% better:-) He suggested NO grain (as Pebbles loves to eat with her mom), putting her outside everyday to get those legs moving, No wrapping (as I can't seem to keep them on anyhow, she throws the entire leg wrap off as it looks like it were in a cast), no further medications. The vet said he'll be back up in a couple of weeks to see how our little Pebbles is doing. If anything changes he wants to be called right away.

Here are some pictures of her today> It rained non-stop. But I got them out for a few hrs.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6390.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6397.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/kpetti_2006/100_6401.jpg

Dorthy ~ I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your filly> I'm glad you did try your best:-)

Thanks for all the prayers ~K~

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1356
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy! Pebbles looks so much better! Glad to see the progress..and she has grown so much!!!!! What a cutie!

Tim Popovitz
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty drastic improvement in two weeks Kathy. Good work!!!!!!!

Breeding Stock

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 01:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy. Pebbles legs look so much better. I'm so happy for you. She is such a sweetie pie. I will keep praying that her little legs will be 100% better real soon. Have you been wraping her legs all this time, and did you also have to give her any medication?

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 06:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's looking good....you are doing a great job...she seems so happy...

Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I'm really excited about Pebbles progress. It's so much better. Pebbles will be so much happier without wraps. Good job Kathy, I've got a good feeling about her full recovery.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 102
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 08:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, she DOES look better---But, and I'm not trying to burst your bubble, I still don't like it. Her joints are really large and my opinion is that there is some inflammation still going on in them. Don't take me the wrong way, she is improved but not like I would like to see on a month old baby.

I agree with taking the grain away (I would probably do it entirely from mama as well,as she looks like she is in pretty good shape).
1) Get that protein and fat down;
2) Exercise is great

Two things,
1) More antibiotic therapy? I just don't like how large those knee joints are still;
2) Have you had a good farrier take a look at her? She is a month old now and a farrier probably needs to get involved.

She is a gorgeous little thing.

TR, foal due 05/14/08
Nursing Foal
Username: Tarar

Post Number: 19
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Kathy
I know this a little late in the post.My computer here won't let me look at the pictures, so I can't really see how crooked. I will have to try a different computer or find out what is going on with mine, but anyway we had a filly 2 years ago and she was extremely crooked right down to her face. It took about two months of turnout (to strengthen the legs) and everything went fine. We didn't do any bandaging or anything, just let her out so she could run and strenghten them up. I find if you leave them stall bound then they don't build any muscle to support the legs. My suggestion is if the foal can move fine then outside with room to move is the best place for them.

Samantha
Yearling
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 03:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, how is she doing?

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, April 22, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy....I would like to know the update on Pebbles too! Post some new pics...I know you are really busy with your newest foal :-)

Linda Bauer --Rita foaled 4/25
Yearling
Username: Llazyt

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy how is Pebbles doing? Would love a update & pictures.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1702
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 07:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I Second that Kathy~ Show us that cutie Pebbles and how are her legs coming along?

corina gabel
Breeding Stock
Username: Newyearsbaby05

Post Number: 139
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy what that i perfect circle spot on that first picture or a water spot on the camera? beatiful little baby, looking so much better. want to see them pictures!!!!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is Pebbles now anyone know

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1959
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 04:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenni~I often wonder about sweet little Pebbles too! Kathy if you are lurking speak up :-) Post some pics.

Cjskip
Breeding Stock
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 827
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember this post as well. Hope she is doing well. Please let us know!

Jenni Luttrell
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Monday, October 20, 2008 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was a beautiful filly cept for the knees

Kathy *Summer due 3/09 *Lakota due 4/09
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, December 25, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Everyone :-)
Pebbles is doing great !! Her legs are straight and she is beautiful. Thanks for all your help and prayers.

Tim Popovitz
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done Kathy!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is amazing what these creatures can overcome when given the chance, the proper care, compassion and patience.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare

Post Number: 2029
Posted on Wednesday, January 07, 2009 - 06:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy..I missed this update! Please show us some current pictures of Pebbles!! and you have 2 due this year! Yipee!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US