SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Think my 2 YO TB filly is pregnant - HELP

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Think my 2 YO TB filly is pregnant - HELP « Previous Next »

Sherrill Keith
Neonate
Username: Ghizwiz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is really embarrassing to admit, but I am fairly sure I am expecting an "accident" foal. HEAVY SIGH. I've finally shook off the denial and realized that the filly's abdomen is rounding out impressively, and this may have something to do with the couple of times she got loose with the (then) 2 yo stud colt late last June. I know I should have had her checked back then (and aborted, if pregnant) but life was insanely crazy and I ended up unable to believe a yearling could get pregnant on 1 or 2 jumps... then I managed to forget it ever happened until this week ... how could I be that clueless?

(Smack side of head) Anyone else end up in this embarrassing situation? Did your filly end up stunted in growth, having a foal so young? Was the foaling normal or a nightmare? Obviously I have a panic call in to the vet... at least it's not my first foal, so I have some clue of whats ahead. I just hate that I've asked her to do this so YOUNG. I mean do wild mustangs breed as yearlings? She seemed way to young to conceive then, but now of course she looks perfectly old enough to be carrying!

Any stories/advice welcome... just please don't beat me up (I'm doing enough of that to myself) -I know I shouldn't have let this happen! At least the foal will be a registerable TB - though I need to track down the TB stud colt (I sold him), and ask what they eventually named him so I can fill out a cover certificate, groan. (And pray he is a successful race colt!)
Thanks, Ghizwiz

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1198
Posted on Friday, March 07, 2008 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a friend who bred her 2 year old filly..on purpose! Had a lovely filly baby and the mare has gone on got broke to ride and then off to endurance training and doing really well. Nutritution is the biggy, specially when the mare is lactating...

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Weanling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 12:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherrill, I don't know anything about a horse that young being in foal. I just wanted to say how much I admire you for posting the info with the chance of getting poorly judged yourself. That shows the well being of your horses is priority and that things like this can sometimes happen.

Sherrill Keith
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, thanks, that is the kind of stories that give me some relief.

Lorna, thanks! I did struggle to post it, as I pride myself on being a responsible horseowner and so carefully planned out my first breeding - how could someone like me let something like this happen!! :<0 My only excuse, it's been a crazy year... But finally I realized the more knowledge I can glean the more I can help my filly.

I feel keenly that there enough horses out there needing homes, how could I let an "accident" happen. But that said, I'll never let any of mine fall onto bad times, its a lifetime committment! I'll grow them up, train them for jobs, and keep track of them if they leave my farm, willing to take them back if ever needed.

STILL guilt assails me when I look at that swelling belly on my baby!

Today, she is looking in very good condition, so at least we seem to be doing enough nutritionally... waiting for vet appt before I put her on a vitamin supplement.

Anyway.. thanks again... Off to go browse some more articles to brush up my broodmare/foaling knowledge!

Kathy had FILLY 3/1/08~ Cooly due 4/4/08
Yearling
Username: Kckcnurse

Post Number: 81
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Sherrill DON'T WORRY !!! I'm in the same boat as you. My stud got loose last yr and got in the field with my 2 yr. old quarter horse. It was toooo late he had done what he (stud) wanted to do. I've been posting about this mare "Cooly". She is a great mare. We did a lot last yr. And now I feel sooo bad that she got knocked up. My only problem is that she is being very fussy with letting me touch her belly. She doesn't even want me to look under her belly. My vet said all will be ok.

In 2005 I purchased a 2 yr old paint and not knowing she was in foal. I was worried to death !!! But all went well. The mare was very protective and wouldn't let anyone in the stall. It took some time for her to trust me that I wasn't going to hurt her baby (as she too is a baby herself).

When is you mare due? Do you have any pictures of her? Just give her the best care and she should be fine. ~K~

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 431
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a mare who came to me (imported from England) pregnant as a two-year-old. She had the foal when she was barely two. She had a normal and easy delivery and has developed quite normally, other than a slightly pot belly. I'm sure conditioning would improve that. Of course, the Gypsy people allow their Gypsy Cob mares to breed young, so it is not unusual in this particular breed.

Best of luck to you.

Lorna Glen /Tosh due 4/19
Weanling
Username: Lornaglen

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathy, I bet your post will be a great relief to Sherrill. And I would love to hear more stories about Cooly as Tosh is also a bit touchy. She does seem to be better now although I am still uneasy about touching her in case she reacts. How far will Cooly go with not letting you touch her belly?

Mary Greer
Nursing Foal
Username: Cowgirlup07

Post Number: 14
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my friend had a filly that was only 10 1/2 months when she got bred... I was DISCUSTED! She did fine and had a beautiful dun colt.. What is really bad about that is he snuck his mare over to my stud! I dont know what he was thinking but she is just fine and is still nice as can be and it didnt stunt her growth at all.. I was surprised to see she did so well. Im sure everything will be just fine and go normally

Sherrill Keith
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 05:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks you guys! I feel sooo much better reading these stories and feeling your support.
THANKS!

I believe she is due June 8th going by the 340 days from the first time I know the naughty stud colt jumped her. (of course she was rather naughty too, standing there winking at him - teenagers ! :-O :-))

I'll take some pics when this storm blows over.

Thanks again!

Kathy had FILLY 3/1/08~ Cooly due 4/4/08
Yearling
Username: Kckcnurse

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 07:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lorna ~ Cooly is very touchy. I can only put my hand by the girth area. No further back!! She kicks out & swings her head back as to bite me.

Cooly was NEVER like this. All last yr we took some nice trail rides, showed, and even went overnite camping. We even did a 5 mile breast cancer walk. She was so sweet always putting her head on your shoulder for love. Now she acts "Pissed Off" with me & blaming me for getting knocked up. But her too acted like a teenager standing and weanking at the stud for some action. I just hope all goes well. I guess I will put some sedation medication and a twitch in the foaling box in case I'll need it. ~K~

Sherrill Keith
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 08:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it's CONFIRMED! Athena is in foal. Alas, vet thinks she is further along than my guess - I know she was jumped on July 1st last year, which led me to believe we are looking at June8th per the 340 day calendar. BUT vet persisted in thinking she looks further along than that, so I researched my journal, and found first time she got LOOSE with the colt was June 11th - 3 weeks earlier. I didnt' see her covered and didn't think she was with him long enough but I guess we all know how accurate that line of thinking is :-)

So I have to be prepared for a potential foaling date of mid May at earliest.

At least vet agrees she looks in excellent shape, just of course impressed need to be speically on top of her nutritional needs, since she is growing herself AND having/nursing a foal this year.

Anyway, now that its for sure, I'm ready to give up my guilt (and denial!) and get excited/prepared for a foal.. At least I didn't tear down my previous foaling stall & paddock. It needs a few repairs but can be ready quickly. And thank goodness Athena is good about being handled under her udder - she loves being curried and all attention - but I'm sure she has NO idea what is happening/about to happen to her!

So guess I'll join those of you on the "expecting" threads on the forum. Thanks for support so far - sure to need much more! :-)

Sherrill

Emily West, Gracie Due 04/11/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 412
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherill, I am glad the vet thinks she will be fine and it is always nice to know for sure.
Do you have any pictures to share? We all love seeing pictures of everybodys mares on here. :-)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 989
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'm sure you have beat yourself up over it a million times by now and I'm also sure you won't let it happen again so now get excited! What breed of horse is she and what was the stud? Do you have pictures of both? :-)

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 990
Posted on Saturday, March 15, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just went back and reread the post so I see they are both TB's but pictures would still be good :-)

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherrill, It is always good to move forward because we can't go back :-) I for one will be waiting anxiously for the arrival of your foal planned or unplanned..just figures though that it took me 3 AI's with tons of ultrasounds and lots of money to get my mare pregnant and you get one hot fling and she is pregnant...go figure:-)

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 1162
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 07:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too Jan... same thing, lots of ultrasounds, trips for semen & tons of $$$$... but oh well.

Sherrill, theses things do happen, the important thing is how great of care you must be giving her to have the vet say she looks great. Good job!!! I am anxious to see her new foal. I would definately make sure I was at the birth to make sure everything goes well. She may be scared not knowing what is going on and will need you there for comfort.

Please keep us posted and pictures would be great.

Sherrill Keith
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan & Marilyn, I understand completely - my first breeding attempt was filled with anxious palpations, ultrasounds, one trip north to a repro expert to get a culture & opionion on her breeding soundness. Finally got her preggo via AI only to have it reabsorbed between 30 & 60 day check, argh! Finally hauled her to VA for live cover and it took, but many anxious days between checks with expensive regumate.

The great irony is, Athena is the final product of all that stress - my dream filly out of my "horse of a lifetime" mare, by my perfect stud for her "Rock Point".

Then some sexy blood bay stud colt comes of age waiting to be old in my paddocks and wala! Instant knockup. No stress as I'm clueless, and suddenly, oh, guess I'm having a foal in 2-3 months! It does seem ironic; maybe instead of all this science we should just toss our mares out with a stud and wait by guess & by golly. Just kidding, obviously not practical!

Anyway, thank goodness he was a blue blooded TB colt, now if he'll only prove decent on the track (he is in training in PA) I won't look like a total fool (unless I tell them the true story, lol).

Everyone, my friend is coming over this aft to help me groom up my herd of babies (have a 3 & 4 yr old out there as well as my show gelding), I'll use her help to get some good pics of Athena. Probably post them tomorrow from work, and some of me and my mare in all our glory, and the naughty colt!

Talk to you later; and again thanks for the support, think I'd be a nutcase without knowing this group with all it's wonderful information and support is out here!

Sherrill Keith
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 07:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was just browsing old posts (seem to be spending all my internet time here these days!) and although I posted her pic on arrivals, had to post to end result here to my unplanned gaffe -

So here she is, all 7 hours old little Moon goddessness of vigorously healthy fillyself!

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/kk11/Arcadien/Athena%20foal%20May%202008/?act ion=view&current=Athenasfilly7hoursold1.jpg

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US