Post Number: 96
|Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 10:32 am: ||
Just wondering if the foal is kept with the mare whether there is the possibility she will start producing milk again? It is a big strapping mare, she is in good health and had a full udder post delivery. Her foal is also big but is not interested in sucking from a bottle now that he has had moms milk. Should we just get a nurse mare or be patient?
Post Number: 3
|Posted on Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 05:24 pm: ||
To make an informed decision on wether to get a nursemare or not, you need to rule out some scenerios that may be compromising her milk production.
Diet: Is she getting what she needs to maintain her own body condition and produce milk?
Foaling and post-foaling complications: Was it a difficult foaling where there is possible bruising? Was the placenta intact? Is there a chance of metritis or uterine infection?
Attitude: Has nursing a foal become uncomfortable for her?
The foal simply has a HUGE appetite: This is the scenerio I see most often. The foal is such a big eater that he keeps the mares bag "bottomed-out". He is getting enough to eat, but he nurses so often that her bag doesn't have time to recover.
Diet issues are a pretty easy fix.
Mare health issues will require a comprehensive vet exam, perhaps a CBC and some antibiotic/anti-inflamatory therapy. I have used Equidone(Domperidone)and oxytocin successfully in a number of cases where the mare's milk production needs a jump-start or simply needs to be more robust.
Attitude issues are usually solved with a mild tranquilizer and some pain management and a good deal of time spent observing.
For the foal that is a big eater, I use one of several techniques or a combination of them:
Domperidone can help here too.
Try to manipulate his feeding times by using a muzzle, this will give the mare time to recover her bag a bit and put the foal on a more suitable feeding schedule.
Supplement with milk replacer. A foal that is hungry WILL eventually nurse a bottle, it just takes a great deal of patience. Milk temperature is also critical, make sure it feels warm to the touch.
If I don't see any progress of any kind in the first 24 hrs. I will go back through and review everything and at then make my decision to get a nursemare. If there is SOME progress, I will likely stick with what is working.
Tis can be VERY labor intensive, especially if you don't have any help, so that too must factor into your decision on how patient you need to be.
Post Number: 99
|Posted on Monday, March 03, 2008 - 10:37 pm: ||
Update: mare is producing more milk now Thankfully a nurse mare is not necessary. She was started on Domperidone. Both mare and foal are doing fantastic
Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Post Number: 901
|Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 01:05 am: ||
That's great news!
Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Post Number: 1107
|Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 08:54 am: ||
Yea Mood Swings. I'm so happy to hear your good news update!!!
Senior Stallion or Mare
Post Number: 1164
|Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:42 am: ||
I as so happy to hear that good news!!!
Post Number: 407
|Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2008 - 10:57 am: ||
Great news! Good luck to them both and you!