SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

MARE LEAKING FLUID

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » MARE LEAKING FLUID « Previous Next »

Diana Gilger
Neonate
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mini mare is due to foal in 45 days or so. I noticed her entire tail and back of her legs is sticky and hard like it had been wet...I have watched her, and haven't seen anything leaking from her vulva....it doesn't smell like urine...this morning she kicked at another horse and I noticed fluid flying out of her....then the other horse, who is white, had blood spots on him...the mare is black, and I cannot tell if it is blood or not. It has run all the way down her legs and dried. (whatever it is) Do you think this is cause for concern? Since she's not leaking now? Has anyone seen this before?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 686
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It could be part of the mucus plug it can have a blood tinge to it.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 01:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want to know if it's blood, take a white wet rag (warm water) and rub it on her back legs. Keep us posted.

Diana Gilger
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i thought of that yesterday. I assure you it is not blood, and is no longer wet...but doesn't smell like urine. She is not leaking anything, and she is completely dry today, though still very stuck together hard hair....now the only question is, where'd the blood on the other horse come from????????? (I really thought it was her) haha! who knows. She seems to be doing ok, so I just decided to keep an eye on her. She acts completely normal. Maybe I am just freaking out because the same mare lost her foal last year...and delivered what I thought was about a month early. Though the vet said the foal looked full term. Still, I don't know why she'd be all sticky/crusty...none of my other mares do that.

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 92
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 05:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diane: I was out today checking on my mare...she is almost 6 months along...it looks like she had some sticky stuff too that was down her legs and around her vulva area....she has done this in the past too....I really don't know...I'm not going to get alarmed...she looked well otherwise...I'm just going to keep going along as if all is well...maybe she just had some really messy urine or drippy stoole...who knows...but I'm keeping happy thoughts that all is well.....I hope to feel something kicking in the next couple of months...

Kim Peavy/ Sweetie 7/3/08
Yearling
Username: Lovemysinbad

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that I've gone and done some research, I realize, what Sweetie has appears to be urine scalding to a degree...I've seen this on her before...she must have been peeing in the wind the wrong direction...ha ha

Diana Gilger
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spoke to my vet today, and he said the only thing that makes tails sticky or feel like a starched shirt is protein, and protein is not passed in mares urine. He said it is usually seen in mares that have aborted and retained part of the placenta....but those mares are usually very sick. She seems to eat/act fine...but just for my own peace of mind, we're going to the vet tomorrow for an ultrasound to make sure all is ok. Kim, when your mare did it before....did all turn out alright?

Jenni Luttrell
Breeding Stock
Username: Bugrace2000

Post Number: 698
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last year there were a couple of mares on here leaking fluid at times and they turned out fine

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 547
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, please keep us posted. Fingers crossed everything is all right!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 755
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, good luck at the vet's appointment tomorrow. I wish you well.

Diana Gilger
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 09:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the support....of course I'm totally freaking out (maybe more than I should) because this mare lost her foal last year. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 985
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 04:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana~Warm thoughts for you! Fingers and Toes Crossed!

Marilyn Lemke - Dora due 7/31/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 761
Posted on Monday, January 14, 2008 - 04:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diana, what did you find out?

Diana Gilger
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 01:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well, had one heck of a day...but the mare is fine. The vet said he had no idea what the fluid is, because her cervix is shut up tight, and we even did a sonogram and got to see baby's heart, measured the placenta, and all that....and it looks good. He told me to just watch her, and to get some of those hard water test strips ....I am going to foal her out at the hospital....and apparantly they will tell me when it's time to take her in. has anyone used these before, and can I order them online? Thanks for all the help!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 02:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana,

I did not use the water test strips but this past July I foaled my mare out at the hospital for the first time. My mare was "due" July 21st, we moved her 2 weeks prior so that she could get settled in her new surroundings. She also had a Caslick so she needed that to be opened and a foal alert placed. It was great piece of mind that she was there and the staff was great. They called me when the foal alert went off and she delivered a healthy filly. My story is sort of like yours, my mare lost a full term foal the year before. I was still anxious of course but not total flipped out. When is your mare due?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Diana, I know one of the other posters of this board, Kassie, uses the water test strips so hopefully she will see this and be able to help you out but I do know she said you can buy them over the counter at like a WalMart.

Diana Gilger
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 03:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her due date is March 1, but last year, I really thought I was positive of her breed date and she seemed to come early. But the vet said the foal did not look early. Shes a very tiny mare (28"), and the foal she had last year was huge. (this year we bred her to a tiny tiny 25 inch stallion who is very arabian type and refined small bones.) She struggled for some time with no forward progression, and my husband and I had to pull it b/c the mare stopped pushing and began to seize. The foal was alive when born, with very weak lung and heart function. CPR brought the foal around, but when I stopped, it dropped again. We rushed to the vet and they worked on her for about 2 hrs before they had to apologize to me....I am pretty paranoid this year because I already know I'm going to be home alone for about a 2 week span while she's due, and there's NO WAY I could physically do that alone. So, I'd really like to have more peace of mind this year....how much does it typically cost for the vet to keep/foal them out?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 995
Posted on Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in So. California so I do know how the rates compare but here was my breakdown:

Foal Alert $70
Foaling $250
Neonatal Exam $35
Post Exam $35
IGG Test $35
Stall per day $30
My mare was in for 17 days before foaling and 2 days post foaling so my board was $570

My total cost because I also had them worm my mare post delivery was $1025.

Don't know if this helps or not.

So sorry again about your foal last year. Heartbreaking I know.

Samantha
Neonate
Username: Dressage_diva333

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used the hard water strips, they are very useful in at least having some idea. Though I must say that my Arabian mare tested a 4+ and 5 for two weeks before she foaled, so they arnt always accurate :S I ordered them from Valley Vet Supply.

Good luck!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US