SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Possible bad mother - need advice from the experienced

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Possible bad mother - need advice from the experienced « Previous Next »

Sheri Parkinson
Neonate
Username: Dunnaggan

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a surprise foal due this winter, the problem is I don't know if the mare will be much of a mother - she's more of a career girl type and only 3 1/2. She also has a bit of a temper and will kick and buck in her stall - dominant and trying to move up the herd. I'm afraid she will either have no interest in the foal, or just plain hurt it when acting up. I will put up solid deviders on the sides of her stall as the worst of her behaviour is when she is trying to dominate her neighbour. She is good to handle - she knows we insist on manners and I'm not worried about human saftey if I have to supervise nursing or help with the foaling. Will maternal instinct kick in? Do I give her a chance and supervise or just seperate after the foal gets it colostrum, or something in between ie supervised nursing, seperate sleeping area? If I have to seperate the foal for its safety (I have a good baby sitter pony) is Foal lac the only option or will goats milk provide appropriate nutrition? I want to have options organized before hand.
Trying to have faith in mother nature but I am dubious.

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 399
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 03:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheri, most mares (even dominant aggressive ones) will be fine with their babies, if anything they tend to be protective. I definitely would put the solid walls up so she can't see her neighbors. My normal docile mare tried to attack her best friend over the wall when she had her first foal, other foals she was a little more mellow about. I would just keep an eye on her after she foals and see how she does, you really can't tell how a mare is going to be with their babies by how they are normally. One of my friends had a mare that was very sweet and quiet but she didn't like her foal, very abusive towards it and they had to wean early. My other friend had a very tempermental mare that was a great mama. Keep us posted but I wouldn't worry too much. When is she due?

Amanda
Neonate
Username: Dakota87

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare like that as well, she turned out to be the best mother ever. Just supervise once the baby is on the ground. Also, a full wall is a good idea, she will be more aggressive because she will be protecting her foal

Heather Cooke
Yearling
Username: Hcvideo

Post Number: 71
Posted on Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to give a mare of mine a resurpine shot, it is a tranqualizer that last about a month. She was maiden mare, that had a very sick foal that had be doctored and fed every hour and a half. For 4 days I risked my life milking her and feeding the foal. Got kicked in the head twice, never thought of putting a helmet on, must of got a little brain damage on the first kick or maybe it was the lack of sleep. The resurpine shot worked great on my mare but I have heard that it doesn't phase some TB mares. It's worth having a syringe full in your foaling kit. Good luck, let us know how thing go.

Sheri Parkinson
Neonate
Username: Dunnaggan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She's due between End of December and the middle of Febuary, sire has several posibilities (we can play guess daddy). She does let me handle her udder so there is hope, and we have moved her to a corner stall (unfortunately its a colder stall)and we are modifying the devider. Web cam goes up as soon as the cable gets here - old stone foundations are nice but do eliminate wireless systems. I have seen photos of problem mares with a plank between them and the foal - claims the foal can nurse but the mare is in a tie stall like situation so can't hurt the foal - has any one used such a set up? The mare is a tb and I am not very familar with resurpine. She will stand like a statue for anything if you put a chain shank on her thankfully. I might just be living in the barn for the first bit. Thanks for the helpful advice - it is making me feel much better.

charlene birdsall, Baby due 4/2/08
Breeding Stock
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, December 14, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Heather, What kind of tranqualizer is resurpine? I've never heard of it. Is it herbal or due you have to get it from a vet? Does it make the foal dopey too, since it goes through the milk? So did you get kicked in the head before or after the shot

Leonard Kistner
Weanling
Username: Len

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, January 09, 2008 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that the most important thing here, is to watch her close. When she progresses to the point that she will foal with-in a week or so,even befor that, your going to have to be like her shadow. She has no background to go by. Sooooo wil the mothering mode kick in or will she be a rejector. Will she just think this is something to play with or end up hurting the foal with her just junping up and down in her stall. Again you have to be there. Then you can asses what you need to do. The board works real well in normal cases. You might want to check and see if a Nursemare would be avilable. Cover all the bases best of luck.

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlene, your profile says you have a baby die on 4/2/08; is that right? If so, keep us posted-okay?

Tracy Smith, Tali due 6/08
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cjskip, It says Baby DUE 4/2/08. Baby is the name of her horse and she did have a foal already, everything was fine and she has a gorgeous filly.

Cjskip
Yearling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opps!! Sorry, was a typo. Tracy, thanks for the correction.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US