SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Predict a Foal Kit

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Predict a Foal Kit « Previous Next »

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate
Username: Mullins9368

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand that some mares have milk even though they are not breed. My question it if a mare is not breed and you do the test would the test strips change colors? No one thinks my mare is in foal. She is a maiden mare who was exposed to a crypto stud the end of Dec. 06 first part of Jan. 07. They said he could not breed. She is not huge, but has had milk in udders for 3 weeks now. Milk is changing colors, from clear to yellowish, to more of a milk color. I have not seen her in heat since I got her in March. Do you think she could be in foal? Calling vet this week.

Lisa R.
Breeding Stock
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 163
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly think that she could be in foal....I would have the vet out to check her either way though. If she isn't in foal and has had milk that long that is changing she could have an infection or it could be a symptom of something else (ie-Cushing's). Good luck, I hope that all is well when the vet comes.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, she sounds in foal to me. Keep us posted and let us know what the vet says.

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for the replys. Didn't realy plan on a foal. But getting excited that she might be. Talked to the vet he said the color test strip will not change if she isn't in foal. It measures the progesteron level in the milk. i'm still going to have him out to check her. Thanks again. Daddy is half Percheron from Canada.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 05:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. If the mare was exposed to the stallion starting from the beginning of December and then through to January, that would mean that at the most she is about 300 days along. This certainly could result in mammary development prior to foaling, but in the event that she is only 9 months along (from the later end of the exposure dates) the mammary development could be indicative of problems with the pregnancy that require identification and treatment to avoid potentially significant (even life-threatening) problems for the mare and foal. She should therefore be checked by a competent veterinarian experienced in equine reproduction.
  2. If your vet told you that the Predict-a-Foal kit tests the milk for progesterone, you might want to use a different "competent" vet for your reproductive questions... the Predict-a-Foal kit tests for increasing levels of calcium and magnesium, not a hormone...

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 03:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had to reschedule the vet appt. Retested her milk last night. 2 block have now changed. Edges around 3rd block started to change but, I'm not counting that one till it fully changes.It has been only 1 block changing for the last 3 weeks. Stool was very loose last night. She was also very on edge.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 - 04:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer, have you seen any movement? Has she bagged up yet?

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Three people felt movement this weekend. Her udders are big, very easy to express milk from. She has been holding her tail up all the time for about 4 days now. Vulva is changing colors.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer..sounds like you are getting close!

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know getting very excited. After the shock! I wasn't planning to have a foal and just found out she might be having one in mid-September.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How exciting Jennifer!!! Can't wait to hear about the new baby :-)

Jennifer Mullins
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you. I can't wait either. The stud is from Canada. Half Percheron.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US