SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare tender and swollen milk vein/ducts?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Mare tender and swollen milk vein/ducts? « Previous Next »

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 715
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 06:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELP! I have a call into my vet but I just visited my mare that has a 2 month old filly at her side and one side of her under belly has what appears as very large "milk ducts", very distinct and very tender to the touch, mare will flinch if the skin is touched. Her udder looks not as full as it should and the side that does not have swelling is fuller than the side that does have the swelling. The mare seems to be off her feed too. Did not eat all her Alfalfa this morning. I am very worried. Waiting on the vet but hoped maybe I could get some guidance here? Thanks, Jan

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, in humans, warm compresses, and antibiotics, and keep nursing. If I started with a blocked duct, I would press/massage that duct while the baby was nursing. It always worked. I have not googled or done any research yet Jan. It is certainly not a reason to stop the baby from nursing. Initially I would say a warm hose.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warm hose, Bute in low dosage if you have it, if baby nurses off that side, massage as she does itHopefully Mamma will not bite you both!! Then antibiotics if your vet thinks so. I would get Mom's temp. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 396
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually hold gentle pressure to the the swollen ducts as she nurses. Once the blockage is gone by the nursing, it feels much better.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 716
Posted on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jane..thanks so much for your thoughtful responses..My vet just left. She is such a dear and I am very blessed. Well the edema/swelling at gotten worse it the last 4 hours and now affected both sides, all the way up to her front two legs. Really painfull and when touching the mare quakes. My mare is such a good horse that she trusts and endures. She had a temp of 102, her actual udder is not in pain and you can express milk and the milk look good, but from in front of her udders to her girth area there is painful pitting edema and the mare will let the filly nurse but tries to move off when she bumps her to let the milk down. She pulled blood for CBC/chem and suspects possible cellulitis, but there is no sign of any kind of trauma, or bite or scratch. So she is on TMZ 2x daily, 500lb dose of Banamine 2x daily and cold hose ventrum 2x daily under pressure for 15-20 minutes, and hand walking for 20 minutes 2x until we get the blood results. The filly is eating hay so for the next day or so till we figure out what it is and the milk looks good we are leaving them together. Thanks again for your suggestions and support! I'll keep you posted

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 141
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, your poor mare! It makes me cringe in pain thinking of what she is going thru! Keep us posted!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan, how sad for your mare!!! I'm glad you were able to get the vet to come out. I hope the blood work comes back with a good prognosis for a simple and quick cure.

My heart goes out to you and your mare. Please keep us posted. In the meantime, I will say a prayer for you and your mare. Take care Jan.
Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 718
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tracy and Marilyn...thanks...Well Alhaja seemed to be in better spirits this morning until she got hit with a cold hose at 6:00 a.m.! It is still dark and I think she thinks I am crazy :-) But I have to be at work at 7:30 so not much choice on what time she gets hosed, walked and medicine....Thanks again for your kindness.

Marilyn...this week is your mares ultrasound right? What day? I am so anxious for you. Still praying and keeping everything crossed.

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 397
Posted on Monday, October 01, 2007 - 02:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OHHH yes, very painful. Aren't we women so empathetic! Good luck Jan. I couldn't help but to answer you last night, when I grow up I want to be a breast feeding consultant. It is one of those certifications on my list of things to do! I get excited about it and my sons just roll their eyes. My daughter was right down there with Woody getting him hooked up..she is so proud of that...she taught him to nurse.

Anyway...keep us posted. We all learn this way.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 721
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi all,
The vet just called and my mare's white blood count is up and there are netrophils present so antibiotics were the right course. We are all very puzzled to what happened she consulted with another vet and both agree that it should be caused from some sort of trauma, bug bite, scratch, something that got infected but there is nothing nothing, no broken skin no sign of trauma. So this morning she is feeling much better. Her swelling is disappearing aroung her girth area but there is still hard edema in her abdomen. So we will keep her on the 2x a day for antibiotics for the full 10 days, 2x a day hosed, 2x a day excercise :-) I am relieved that she is getting better. Thanks again for all your concern.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 01:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news Jan. With all the warm weather, the bugs have been terrible this year. Great news you have everything under control!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 722
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 04:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Marilyn...when is your ultrasound on Dora? How is her leg?

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 229
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 07:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dora's ultrasound is this Friday morning. I hope she's still preggo!!!! If she is still preggo, would she be out of the woods from the squishing of the twin, or will the embryo still be in jeopardy from the squishing until day 90 or so?

Her leg is back to normal and she's doing wonderfully. Thanks for asking Jan.

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2007 - 08:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Marilyn, I don't know for sure but I would think if she's still pregnant you still have to get to that day 90 mark like any other pregnancy. I'll send prayers your way!

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kinda thought so too Tracy. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

It's really hard to wait and see... I tend to become anxious and I'm not as patient as I'd like to be.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US