SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Post Foaling - "liver-like" substance --What is it??

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Post Foaling - "liver-like" substance --What is it?? « Previous Next »

donna
Neonate
Username: Hooked

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is due again in 2-3 weeks. With her first foal I was able to retrieve the" liver-like" substance when our "boy" was delivered. In all the info books I have read on foaling, I have yet to read anything about it. What is it? What's it's purpose? And does it come out of the foal's mouth? Just before our mare's first foal was born, a friend mentioned it to me and I wasn't sure if I believed her because I had never read anything about it. Anyway, she told me to wrap it up and put it above the baby's stall cause it would bring Good Luck. Yuck!! I'm not superstitious but I did for awhile anyway. That first baby (now 3 1/2) is awesome!! Nicest horse I have ever owned, but then what can I say, he is a warmblood.

Jenny Ireland
Yearling
Username: Jenny_i

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 06:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is called the "hippomane". Here is a description of it in the following website:

http://www.homopathie-wichmann.de/heilmittel/Heilmittel-Ordner/hippomanes.htm

From what I recall, nobody really knows what its purpose is for. Jos would be able to inform you. It is also called "foal bread"!! Good luck with your mare. Hope she has another awesome baby.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the hippomane and is a conglomeration/precipitation of minerals and salts from the fetal urine. It is not found in the foal's mouth! If it's in the foal's mouth, you're in serious trouble, as it should be outside the amniotic sac in the allantoic sac!

donna
Neonate
Username: Hooked

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 02, 2007 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny and Jos, Thanks soo much for the information. Jos, one explantion I had heard was that it was a nutrient sac in the foal's mouth(which makes no sense at all). Thanks again..you learn something new everyday!!

Joie Roddy
Neonate
Username: Joie

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, August 10, 2007 - 01:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have another hippomane question:

Has anyone ever had one that wasn't liver-colored? I had one mare this season, an older mare, who delivered almost 3 weeks early, without much warning (she didn't even test 60 on Chemetrics the evening before she foaled)and the hippomane was almost white in color. It ALMOST looked like a bar of soap. Anyway, the filly had FPT, and the mare had some sort of hematoma on the upper wall of the vaginal vault, which is slowly but surely regressing. I tubed the filly with Seramune and re-tested her and her IgG was good by 12 hours, but I still wonder about that hippomane. When the mare was down, in active labor, I was actually not even sure she was in labor. I even expressed a bit of milk, which was still thin and watery. In fact, I was SO convinced she was colicy or something, I asked her to get up and walk a few steps. She did, and then she went back down and the forelegs and muzzle were already presenting. It was strange, to say the least. Caught me totally off-guard, and the hippomane thing just freaked me out.

(Message edited by Joie on August 10, 2007)

Lori Schaich
Neonate
Username: Lschaich

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 18, 2008 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our mare just foaled at 356 days, we ended up loosing the foal after 1 1/2 hours of trying to get it breathing on it's own. It was in the wrong position at birth and hubby had to reach in and realign it.
Anyways, this mare passed a hippomane. It was the very first one I've ever seen or heard of. It was whitish/gray colored. Not dark. It was about 3/4 the size of my hand and felt like an organ. It was not hard and did not feel fluid filled.

My question would be, why have I never seen it in my other mares before? We've been raising foals for 6 years now and always pick up and inspect the placenta and afterbirth, this was the first time ever witnessing something like this.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1771
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread discusses the hippomane in greater detail.

Not all mares/foals will have a hippomane present. Note too that if it is present, it may not be found in the afterbirth, as it may have been passed out with the release of the allantoic fluid at the onset of foaling.

Jane
Breeding Stock
Username: Dizzykizzy

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So sorry to hear about your loss Lori, what a tragedy.
I found the hippomane when my foal was born last year and put it on the side of the stable to show my husband.....mysteriously it disappeared so I don't know if the dog ate it!!

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 04:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori~my sympathy...so sorry for the loss of your foal..Hugs

Mood Swings
Breeding Stock
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori - I too am so sorry for your loss :-(

Joie - I have seen pale coloured hippomanes as well, kind of a chalky colour.

Lori Schaich
Neonate
Username: Lschaich

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 05:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to everyone for the sincere comments, it was hard to loose a foal, but then the hubby found this hippomane and we wondered if it had anything to do with the problems the mare/foal had.
I see now that is was not related, so, thank you for all the input and helpful information.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US