SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

HELP! NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » HELP! NEED ADVICE PLEASE « Previous Next »

charlene birdsall
Neonate
Username: Charlie67

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted a new thread on 7/5 Subject "15 days to go" with no respone from anyone, so I thought if I changed the subject, mabey someone would read and respond to my post. I am watching a friends pregnant mare while she is away and I am a first time breeder myself. Her mare is due on july 20th. I took some pictures of her and was hoping someone could tell me if it looks like she's getting close. Thanks, charlene. Here is the link for the pictures http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/aa97/mollytomale-photos/?action=view&current= kaysmare012.jpg

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 256
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 08:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very hard to say as things can change so rapidly but as far as her udder goes she doesn't look real close. As I said though things do change quickly. Is she a maiden mare or has she foaled before?

charlene birdsall
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 08:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Emily, yes she is a maiden. How should her udder look when she's getting close, besides waxing up. I here alot of madien mare don't wax up before foaling. Thanks, Charlene

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 257
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are quite right about maidens not waxing. It doesn't mean she won't or they never do. Basically there are no rules. Guidelines yes, but every mare is so different. Honey, our mare, just had her second foal. She pretty much progressed at the same rate with both. She was a text book mare for signs ahead of time and with foaling. Waxed and everything even as a maiden.

Here is Honey's udder at 329 days.
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/?action=view&current=Honey329 .jpg

340 days.
http://s9.photobucket.com/albums/a97/pnhpaintlover/?action=view&current=340U.jpg

She foaled at 343. But this was her second foal.
Can you get any fluid from her udder? What does it look like? Also there are ways to test the milk. One of the ladies on here has a great website with diaries of a mare before she foals and instructions on testing the milk. I'll give you the link for that as well.

http://www.yellowhouseranch.com/foaling.htm

Also knowing that your friends mare is maiden I would say she is shaping up nicely. But I am no expert.

Dorthy Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its very hard to tell by that pic. What does her udder look like? Is she mushy in her behind? Is her vulva swollen and enlongated??

charlene birdsall
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, thanks so much for the pictures and the yellow house ranch website. Looking at all those pictures really helps alot. To answer your question I did get some fulid out of her udder yesterday. I wasn't that amber color like in the yellow house photos, and it wasn't white either. It was almost clear but with a faint yellow color. I think I'll just start taking her temperature. When it drops below her normal, then I'll know she's getting close right?

charlene birdsall
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, Dorthy. In my first post their is a link for my photo album. Did you look at all the photos of the red dun? My mare is the bay dun with the blue blanket. She is mushy on either side of her tailhead and her vulva was swollen and even parted. Pictures are in my photo album, look at them and tell me what you think.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find the temp way of going as very unreliable. I would suggest testing her milk either by buying a calcium test, or doing the black plastic tested layed out for you on this site. Just by looking at her bag I would not be very worried.

charlene birdsall
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 02:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info Cathy. Where is the black plastic test you were talking about?

Aimee Sutherland
Yearling
Username: Aimee_s

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 02:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The black plastic test she is talking about (I'm assuming) is just putting a few drops of the mares milk onto something that is black. When the milk is white and opaque they will usually foal within 24 to 48 hours I believe. I used the handle of my bot knife because it was handy, just held it under my mare's teat and put a few drops of milk on it. Before my mare's milk turned white it was a yellowish/clear colour too. I used my mare's milk and her temp as indicators the first time around, this time though her temp was all over the place, really inconsistent, but in the end her temp did drop noticeably so it did end up working. My mare foaled the morning after her milk changed and her temp dropped.

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 02:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the article on this site about predicting parturition (follow that link). It explains about the "black plastic" test.

Cjskip
Weanling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily, thanks sooooo much for the link to the diary. Great pictoral diary of what she should look likeat various stages!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US