SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Possible cleft palate or stomach problem???

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Possible cleft palate or stomach problem??? « Previous Next »

Saffron
Breeding Stock
Username: Saffron

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately soon after writing how over the moon i was about the birth of my little Party (children chose the name) I noticed he had milk coming from his nose...he then showed signs of colic after drinking and has been making funny noises while sucking and then lying down then running round and then the milk comes out his nose or mouth!!!No fever as of yet but that can follow quickly enough! He did however have plenty of bowel movements and i know some of the milk got down there because i could hear it in his tummy when he drank!

Obviously we took him straight to the clinic and the tested the blood and said it was doubtful it was cleft palate because it took too long for the milk to come up again but more likely it is some problem in the stomach that causes the milk to come up...either way he thinks the chances are slim and he will endoscope him today and if the case is bad he will be put down!!

Anyone got any experience good or bad...my heart is broken already, its not fair especally after Madonna!!

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 221
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Saffron. I am so sorry. I hope that they can find out what is causing the problem.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 387
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my Gosh Saffron You are in my prayers.....Hopefully they will be able to help your foal survive. Thinking of you...

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 02:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am now just waiting...i keep hoping the vet will say Good news it isnt so bad we can fix it...but i have to be realistic he may phone and ask permission to put him down.....i hate the waiting!!!He was so friendly and sweet went straight on the trailer to the clinic...stood there when the needles went in and not because he is ill he was from the start a friendly little lad after i gave him milk in my hand! He was my dream come true!! And what will Molly do...how can i pick her up without him?? It is soooo awful!

Nancy McGee
Breeding Stock
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 236
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Saffron I am so sorry your little baby is not doing well. I hope you get good news. You are in my prayers.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 529
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwwww Saffron I hope you get good news. Prayers and best wishes for you and your little one.

Em Taylor
Weanling
Username: Dressagegurl

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought a filly we had might have a cleft pallet because after the first 3 feedings she had milk running out her nose. She seemed fine otherwise. Vet came out and checked her out and of course , no milk dripping. We think she didn't have the idea of drinking all the way down, she is now 6 weeks old and hasn't had any issues since that first day.
I hope all is ok with your boy!

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 238
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankyou everyone!!!
Well my husband called the clinic today (so its a little bit vague but my german is not soo good)
There is hope...it isnt cleft palate ..it is a problem in his stomach which is being treated with medication (all the details i will have tomorrow when i visit him) he sure isnt in the clear but they say he has improved! If he is not fully recovered they must do an x ray with a dye!But he doesnt want to put him through that unless necessary! Sorry to be vague but my husband only asked..is he alright and will he be alright but i will fill you all in tomorrow!!!

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 02:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,
I am so happy to hear that there is still hope. I'll keep all of you in my prayers.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 392
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,

I will continue to pray for complete healing of your little guy! Keep us posted.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 600
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,

I am very sorry to hear of your new foal and his troubles. You are looking out for his best interest and doing right by him.
While testing can be a bit stressful for foals, goodness knows they are awefully resilient! The dye test (probably a barium study) can be very helpful if it needs to be done.

So, have heart Saffron :-) your babe is in good hands and you are to be commended. We are ALL pulling for you and your colt.
LOTS of hugs and prayers out to you. Keep us updated when you can.

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 01:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck,I hope the medication helps and the foal shows some improvment. Sounds like he is in the best place and they have a plan of action to follow

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to thank you guys for your prayers and thoughts....i think you helped my little boy!!!
He has an stomach ulcer, he is on medication for this and has a slight fever, the vet is not too worried he thinks they have it all under control, he said some foals have ulcers it is fairly common, if all goes well he might be able to come home this week...i hope so, i thought he was going to die!!! If this little guy pulls through he stays with me til the end of his days he is my little angel!!! Thanks everyone!

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's great!!! Not the ulcer, just that he'll be okay.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 394
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saffron,
I am so happy to hear that it is something than can be treated. We will continue to pray for a speedy and complete recovery. Post some pictures when you get that little guy home. By the way what's his name:-)

Saffron
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 03:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the moment the children have called him Party!!! I am so hoping he will be home soon and i will post pictures, I must call gain tomorrow but thre is a chance he can come home tomorrow afternoon...I cant wait...thankyou again guys!!

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 148
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 05:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow thats great news Saffron, fingers crossed he picks up over the next few days and the ulcer goes away quickly. Great to hear such good news!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US