SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Very sick little filly!!! Help FAST

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Very sick little filly!!! Help FAST « Previous Next »

Paul and Jenny
Neonate
Username: Pjappy

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello,

Our mare foaled a beautiful black and white appaloosa filly in the very early morning hours on Saturday (June 2nd). The filly was acting fine, but I noticed that she was not eating yet. I went away for a few hours to let them bond and then when I came back the foal still wasn't sucking and I tried to see if she would even suck on my thumb and she has not sucking reflex. The filly then started to lay down and roll as if she was going to colic. We called the vet out and the vet gave her some banamine (sp) to calm her stomach. The vet also gave her a emema to get her to have a bowl movement. The filly soon got up and started sucking. The next morning we went out to check on her and wait on the vet to come and drwl her blood to test her colustrum level. The level was just fine and she had some poop on her bottom so I know that she had a bowl movement.
Later that afternoon I noticed that she was looking worse and she started to roll over again. We called the vet and she came out and gave her another Banimine (sp) shot. and listened to her bowl sounds and she said that there were hardly any and that was not good. The vet told us to give the filly 2 more enemas. The enemas were not working and the filly was not haveing any bowl movement, and she wasn't sucking much anymore.
Later that night she just got worse and worse. The vet came out at 11 pm on Sunday night and gave a higher up enema and put an NG tube in to put meds in her tummy to try and soften everything up to get her to have a bowl movement as she was getting very bloated. the next morning still no poop and she was not drinking much anymore, so we had the vet out to give her IV fluids, and she gave her more meds to get her bowls moving. She checked her bowl sounds and they were wonderful, and no fever ever.
Last night, Monday, she looked so bad and her tummy is SO BIG, and she stopped eating and she keeps her neck streached out like she feels terrible. I figured that she was not going to make it through the night, but she is still alive and up and around. Her tummy still just as big and she is still not eating. She still just doesn't look like she feels well at all.
She has not had a bowl movement except for once. Even when we do an enema some of the fluid comes back out and it is just as clear as it was when it was going in.
I just don't know what to do, I don't want to loose her, but then again I don't want her in pain anymore. Our vet said that this is about all that they can do since they don't have a real big practice. I would think about bringing her to a large hospital but I don't have a whole lot of money.
Our vet thinks that because the filly did not eat soon after birth that her maconum (sp) hardened and is blocking her bowls.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Beth Walker
Weanling
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear your filly is not doing well! I don't know what kind of emema's your vet has been using, but we always use a large syringe and fill it with Warm water and a few drops of mild dish detergent. The dish detergent really helps to put a slick, slimy coating around the poo so it passes easier. Sorry I'm not much help but it may help. Good luck, it sounds like your vet is tryig very hard to keep her going.

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock
Username: Heatherck11

Post Number: 589
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 02:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul or Jenny,

I am very sorry to hear of your filly. We all know how concerned you are.

The fact that your filly is not passing stool normally is of big concern.
If at ALL possible, she needs to be taken as soon as possible to be evaluated. There are some conditions indicative to foals such as meconium impaction and intestinal atresia.
I know that money is of concern, however she really needs to be seen and evaluated on a high level. You can explain your financial situation with them and see what can be worked out.
Rolling on the back is a sign of significant pain for a foal...

I know that you are alarmed, and rightly so. I encourage you to get the filly to the hospital today.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock
Username: Ev_watkins

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P & J- It sounds like you have a very difficult battle on your hands. Having been thru something very similar ( but with a bit older foal ) I thought I should share that we had one with a blockage that lived a week with every intervention (from both ends) that we could think of, on his last day (we'd decided to euthanize him for lack of any other options and to end his suffering) the poor thing finally broke loose and totally decorated the stall. (I'll leave the details out) We then had two issues to deal with, 1 getting slowed to a normal level his bowel activity and 2 he had developed a secondary infection from the blockage in his blood stream. Two weeks of Naxcel antibotics took care of the infection and kaopectate fixed the other problem but we were left with a very weak 3 month old foal who had joint issues now due to the infection. Rather than give up on one that had fought so valiantly to live, we gave him to some friends who had a place where he could recover without the other foals picking on him. Today he is a small but very healthy 4 year old gelding. Having said all that, last year I had similar occurance with my colt and was unable to save him. Good luck, don't give up on her so long as she's willing to fight. Mineral oil and water in a nasogastric tube I believe was the key to our fellow making it.. keep us posted on her progress. Ev

Paul and Jenny
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello E Watkins,

Did your foal that made it have any vomit come out of his mouth or nose?
Our filly just started that tonight, but our vet pumped her stomach. After that and some IV fluids she looked like she felt a little better and started drinking a little. But before we left the barn she was back to feeling pretty crappy.
I would be very interested in hearing more about your colt.

Paul and Jenny
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a pic of my filly that is sick.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/PJappy/Freedom02.jpg

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 590
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bless her heart. It's tough watching these young ones struggle.

What you are describing as vomiting, is referred to as "reflux" in horses (since horses are physically incapable of doing so).
Reflux in foals is most commonly due to the pressure an obstruction (functional or mechanical) creates. Decompression via nasal-gastric tube will temporarily make her feel better.

I am sorry that ya'll are having to go through this. She's a very pretty filly, and all best wishes your way that things improve.

Hannah MacDonald
Breeding Stock
Username: Hannah

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 06:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you need to get her to the vets asap and get an internal exam done! Do whatever you can to get her to a bigger practice or clinic asap.

Good luck!

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny- no, ours never did do that, his blockage was apparently back further. She's a beautiful filly, I hope you are able to pull her thru this. It is very sad to see them suffer.

Paul and Jenny
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all,
I would like to thank you all so much for all of the help. Last night the vet came out and pumped her stomach and gave IV fluids. She was starting to have a fever so I know that it is nearing the end. Late last night we went out to give her the meds to get her bowls moving (we have been giving them the entire time) and she was laying in the doorway of the barn, the breeze felt great. But she looked so peaceful, and her breathing was very slow and shallow. I didn't think that she would make it through the night, but thats ok, she doesn't deserve to be in pain anymore. This morning at 4 I went back out to see if she was gone yet, and she was standing out in her outdoor run with her mommy. WOW I didn't think she could be alive anymore, but she was. So then I got back home at 9 and went back out there to check on her and she was laying out in the run she looks so peaceful, she is almost gone. I picked her up and moved her to the shade so she would be more comfortable. She is on pain meds so she should not be in any pain.

I will keep you all updated, and once again thank you all!
www.pjappaloosaranch.com

Kris Moos
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kris

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My colt last spring at a day old did the lay on his back neck all stretched out thing, the vet described that is the foal is giving up, in the wild this would be cayote food! After a palpation by his finger My vet gave banamine, an enema and then gave twp full enema bottles of dawn dish detergent enemas, but he used a small rubber tube and oiled that and pushed that in as far as he could to get fluid in past the blockage. within an hour he has begun to pass the hard balls that were causing the blockage. He needed banamine for 2 days following and ended up with diareah for a couple days because once is got moving it was moving well. Once he started passing the hard balls his appetite got increasingly better. I really hope that your lil one makes it!!! Mine also never had the reflux, from what i understand that is pretty serious! I hope you can find a vet or animal hospital that is willing to help you out!!!
good luck!!!!!

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 357
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny,

I feel so sorry for your filly; but I must say that I am disppointed to see that you did not take her to your local equine hospital/clinic or have her humanely put down....it is heartbreaking that she suffered. I clicked on your website and see that you have bred several foals. In my so humble opinion is that a medically sick foal is always a risk and I think you let this foal down by not taking her to the hospital and if finiancially you can not afford it to at least euthanize her humanely.

Paul and Jenny
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan Owen, I am sorry that you feel this way, but the nearest hospital that I know if is 3 hours away and when I called them they said that there was nothing that they could do and that we should keep doing what we are doing. I asked our local vet when we first noticed that she had a blockage if we should just have her put down and she said that she wanted to see if she could pull out of this first. Then again I asked our vet yesterday if we could just put her down and she said as long as the foal is fighting to live then we should fight too. The only time she was in pain was the 2nd day when we noticed a problem, after that she was on heavy amounts of pain meds. I told the vet yesterday that I didn't think that there was any use to let her be like this and in the end die, and that we should put her down, but then she started to show improvements. I am sorry that you feel like I did not do all that I could to help her get better or to put her down, but that is not your choice. As for breeding for a lot of foals, we only get 3 or 4 foals per year, the others on the foal page are foals that are sired by our stallions.

Thank you all of all of the prayers and all of the informatio, but our baby Angel passed about 15 minutes ago, and she was so peaceful! She is in a better place now in heaven.

This was our first foal that we lost, and her dam just stands by her all of the time. Does anyone know what we can do for her dam?

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Paul and Jenny
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a picture of our little Angel at one full day old.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/PJappy/Freedom01.jpg

Sandy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny - I am so sorry you lost your little filly after such a valiant fight to keep her alive. She was a beautiful girl. If you can find an orphan foal who needs a mama, that would be the best thing for your mare. Again, I am so sorry.

Sandy

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 509
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh P and J...That last pick just brought tears to my eyes....What a pretty little thing...Bless her little heart and yours. I am glad she seemed peaceful thru her last moments. I am so sorry for your loss.

Dorthy Brown
Yearling
Username: Dodib

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very sorry for your loss.....she was a beauty!

Marti Langley
Neonate
Username: Pair_o_dice

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 01:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am very sad at your loss. you certainly did your best under the circustances. Bless you.

E Watkins
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 164
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 02:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P & J- Sorry for the lost battle, I don't blame you for not giving up on her though. We came very close to quitting on "Prince" when he was so ill but so long as he wanted to fight, we were willing to help him all that we could. I would never have dreamed that he would pull thru after the period of time that he had been blocked but he's living proof that given time they can heal. Probably in his case, he was a little older than your filly so he had more reserve to go on until the oil could work it's way past the blockage. I think you did what you could, take comfort in that and look forward to next years foals. Ev.

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 202
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry for the loss of your filly.

Nancy McGee
Breeding Stock
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 04:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P & J I haven't been on in a while but just saw where you lost your beautiful filly and I am so sorry for your loss. It really breaks my heart to see animals pass. I know you did all you could and you are right she is in a better place, running with all the others over the rainbow bridge.

C Carner
Yearling
Username: Friesianx

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so sorry. She was very pretty. I'm sorry

Paul and Jenny
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello everyone, thank you all for your kind words, and yes I have had my moments today. But my little Angel became a real Angel today, and thats ok because she is in a better place, she is in heaven. I do miss her sweet little face, and that will be unforgettable. Yesterday I had a breakdown while in the stall with her and it was so sweet because the tears we just streaming down my face and little Angel walked over to me and just put her sweet little nose on my face, like she was saying that everything would be okay. She was a wonderful filly and I know that we will never forget her.

Her dam is doing wonderful this evening. I left little Angel in the pen with Bambi for about 3 hours after she passed so she could get used to the idea, and when Bambi finally left Angel's side and went over by the other mares that were standing by her gate, then I knew that it was okay to take Angel out of the pen. Bambi followed us but smelled her a little at the stall door and then she went back out and started eating again. She is doing wonderful...probably better than me! There is a local farm who lost a mare a week ago and left behind an orphan foal so I am going to call them and see if they would like to at least try to let Bambi nurse him. I am not sure if she will accept him or not since she already got to know Angel, but we can at least try. That may help Bambi and will definatly help the foal out.

Anyways, I can't say enough thanks to all of you for being so great and sharing your kind words!
Angie at P&J Appaloosa Ranch
www.pjappaloosaranch.com

Donna Harrington
Neonate
Username: Baywithchrome

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so sorry Angel had to endure this agony. And I'm very sorry that the mare lost her foal. However, I've read this thread twice now...this borders on negligence. I'm sorry to be so direct, but I'm so angry the foal had to endure this. This isn't about money and what you can afford/not afford, this is about a lack of common sense from the first moment. This baby died needlessly...making sure the foal nurses and passes its meconium is foaling 101!

Paul and Jenny
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 14
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 04:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donna Harrington, Im sorry that you feel that way, but we were out with Angel from the very moment that she was born. We tried to get her to feed from the very beginning. Our vet was out with us nearly all day trying to get her to suck and have a bowl movement. I am sorry that you feel this way, but if you are saying that I neglected my filly then I really think you are wrong. And if I neglected her then everyone else that looses a foal with a meconium blockage are also neglecting thier foals. It happens more than you think! Since Angel passed I have spoken with over 15 vet hospitals and they all said exactly what my vet said, that this happens and their isn't a lot that you can do about it. They said that she may have been born with a twist in her intestines or something else that made her feel sick and not want to eat after birth. Then her meconium hardened as it does if it sits their to long. They said that her bowl may have had something wrong, therefore she would never have been able to pass it. They said that there is only so much that can be done, and that we did a very good job with trying to help her get well.

I am sorry for those of you who think that we did something wrong or neglected Angel in any way. And for those of you who were praying for little Angel and helping with any suggestions, you guys are all great!

Our barn feels empty without Angel, but we know that she is in a better place. We have been breeding appaloosas since 2003 and before then we owned quarter horses all of our lives and never lost a foal until now.

Thank you all!

Em Taylor
Weanling
Username: Dressagegurl

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 04:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P and J...Do you do an enema post foaling? We have made a habit of making sure that the foals get one usually within 2 hours post foaling, even if they have already pooped. It really helps to make sure everything is moving along. Was the foal sucking when it was born? Most foals display sucking shortly after being born, how long was it before you noticed? I am sorry for your mares loss, hopefully she is doing well now.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 05:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Donna,

If you read this post twice I understand your dismay. I posted earlier similar concern. I based my assessment with information contained in the posts for Paul and Jenny and after their response to mine I re-read to see if somehow I had misunderstood but I did see the mention of not to much money, the distance of the hospital, and the lanquishing of the foal when it was close to passing. I just said that I personally felt uncomfortable with that and the foal at a certain point should have been put down. That is not dismissing helping a foal fight for life but when you say that you thought she would not make it throught the night and the surprise she was still alive in the a.m. and then when she was down and almost gone and you moved to the shade I guess my mind wonders how long was she laying out in the sun? How much pain?

Paul and Jenny,

With all that said I am sorry for you loss and the experience you had to go through and hopefully it will never repeat itself at your ranch.

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny- I am so sorry for your loss, she was a pretty little filly and I think that she knew that she was loved during her short stay here. I am glad that her mom is doing ok-did you ever try the orphan foal with her?

To the ones who are being so judgemental- I am sorry but I just can't bite my tongue here any longer. I know that I'm not an old hand here on this board and probably no one really cares what I think; that being said-how can you be so judgemental?! They lost a foal, it happens even under the very best circumstances. They did what they could and it sounds to me like they did eveything within thier means to save the filly. Could have, should have, would have....you were not there, you were not talking to the vet, you weren't in the situation; until you have walked a mile in thier shoes who are you to pass judgement? The foal is dead, nothing will bring her back so why are you guys being so mean spirited? I have been very lucky to have only lost one foal under my watch (I've been doing this for 11 years)- but things happen. As for them not putting her down-that was thier decision to make not yours. I am sure that they did what they felt was right. I can't imagine that they allowed her to suffer-if so then why would they bother to post on this board? Everyone has different views/opinions regarding euthanasia; it is a very tough decision to make under the most cut and dry circumstances and the circumstance of this foal was anything but clear. Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20 and it is very easy to say what YOU would have done but until it IS you I think that you should not throw stones. Just my two cents for what it's worth....

Marilyn Lemke
Neonate
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny, I'm new on this site and read your post. I'm so sorry your filly didn't make it. She was a very beautiful filly and an adorable face. It broke my heart seeing the picture of you and the filly.

It brought back memories when I lost my 6 month old colt last year. He was horseplaying and reared at another horse near a tree and got caught in the fork of the tree. He couldn't be saved. He severly broke his leg trying to get free.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly how you feel. She will always hold a special place in your heart. I hope you never have another episode such as this in the future.

God bless you both... Marilyn

Kala Hadley
Neonate
Username: Kala0

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny, Your filly was gorgeous... I lost my only filly this year due to some unknown illness... and before any one of you that jumped on Paul and Jenny for neglecting the foal jump on me rethink it... Giving these foals the time on earth they deserve and setting up all night praying they will pull throug is to much to ask... I apoligize and I'm sure Paul and Jenny apolagize for not having enough money like you all to help our precious babys but with a blockage there is almost nothing that can be done... and as for my foal i dont know what was wrong with her. She was 2 weeks early, then she culdnt stand her back legs were like jello, but she sucked from a pony while sitting up. She was a reg. cremello TWH. Then the day she died her right eye turned a floresent green and the other one stayed blue...

Heather Kutyba
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 604
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 01:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kala,
Welcome to the board.
You will find that there are many folks whom frequent this forum and all are here to share and learn. Some come from extensive years of repro experience and some are beginners. Regardless, everyone has something to share.
You will also find that money has little to do with anything on this forum. I have no knowledge of anyone's financial setting, nor is it any of my business.
It is very difficult to make medical determinations across a computer. The best we can do, is to make the best decisions for our own animals and hope others do the same.
BUT, when anyone on any forum asks for advice they also should be prepared for the negative as well. Doesn't mean they have to agree, just that it can (and likely will) happen.

Paul and Jenny
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Kala and everyone else who has supported us, it has been a very trying time and I am glad that there are people out there like you guys! I would like to clear something up, it was not that we did not have the money. When I saw that she was so sick I made a few calls to equine hospitals and the closest one was going to charge us $2000 just to see her, and they said that they would very likely end up shipping her to the university. So I called the U and they said that they were so full that we had to be reccomended from a hospital before they would take Angel. And they said that they would at least end up charding $2000 and that was before they did any surgery (if needed) or kept her for multiple days and put so much meds in her.

The hospital is 4 hours from us and the U is an hour from us. We only have a 2 horse trailer and therefore we would have taken the filly alone to the hospital and leave the mommy (there was no other safe way to transport her). Then she would have had a 4 hour haul up there, then get poked on and then end up making a 3 to 4 hour haul to the U and get worked on some more.

I had the vet out there 3 and 4 times a day, from early morning hours to late night hours. Our vet specializes in equine and she knows her stuff well! I am sorry that people think that she or I did not properly care for Angel, but in my opinion I think we did the best thing for her. I would have been more upset at myself if we would have put her though all of that stress for it to all end up the same.

We really loved Angel and her stall has been cleaned out and her mommy has been moved out with her friends in the pasture (and she is doing very well, we tried to get a orphan foal but it just didnt work out and she was doing so well without). But I still have yet to go back through that stall, we loved her and hated to see her go.

I really appreciate all of the help and support from all of you.

Thank you all, it means a lot!

Cjskip
Weanling
Username: Cjskip

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, April 01, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul and Jenny, it is obvious you loved your foal and I am so sorry you lost her after such a valiant fight. I think it is hard to know sometimes, if extreme measures should be taken, because sometimes they pull through.

Wow. Something else to add to my list though is a horse transport just in case. I think we all, at least the novices, learned a lot from your and Angel's ordeal.

I watched this thread from the first, and had nothing to offer, but was pulling for her. I cried at your last few posts. How sad!!! Sometimes we just don't know and if the vet says keep going, instead of saying she should be transported the hospital, I can see why you didn't-plus the stress and possibly expense and same outcome.

It causes me to evaluate my position with my mare and foal-to-be. Would I drive four hours and pay $2000.00 when it would only have meant a turn around trip to the University? I do see the delima.

So I want to thank-you for sharing this with us-as hard as it was to "watch" it unfold at times. May the rest of the foaling season bring you nothing but success.

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 96
Posted on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul & Jenny,
Maybe the treatment didn't go as planned, people on this board saw it as abuse, maybe just plain inexperince at such an ordeal. Even the most experience sometimes can't handle! What I did see was how many times your vet was out I beleive one time at 11:00 pm! This informs us that you truly cared for your "ANGEL" Right Wrong or indifferent your expereince allows us to learn from others, not judge! I tried putting myself in your shoes I dont know if I could have been as brave you as have emailing and being so diplomatic with your reponses!

Best regards!
L

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 07:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CJ?
Why do you keep picking up on posts that sometimes over a year old?

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Laurie, I hope you did not think I was judging P & J. I was not sure if you felt I was. I meant it as a thought provoking situation for myself and others, perticularly novices who have not faced dealing with sick foals.

In answer to Catherine: Because sometimes I don't check the date! And because sometimes it is still pertinent to now.

Certainly I would have responded differently to this one if I had seen the post date, but none the less, the information is useful. I think my post about evaluating my own self in the same situation is still pertinent.

Why start a whole new thread, when the information is here?

However, if that is the way it is supposed to be done, then perhaps I should not do so?? Perhaps I ought to start a new thread to an old thread?

But you are right. I have sometimes jumped in without checking the date and that could be confusing to people, so I will watch that. Thanks.

Catherine Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: Cateowen

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't mean to come off like an old hag, its just that this particular thread SCARED me because the title is "Very Sick Little Filly!!!! HELP FAST"

Its at the top of the topic list with the most recent post!

I mean my heart started racing and I'm reading thru it and the halfway thru it I realize that its "done" almost a year ago.

I know what you mean about stuff being pertinent on down the line, lots of it is and I enjoy your posts.

Cjskip
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 08:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Catherine-no problem. I think when I responded I just didn't read the date. I think it was kind of high on the list, but not sure. Anyway, I'll be more careful next time. I saw where someone else had done the same thing on one of the posts and it threw me, so your comment was not out of line at all. I appreciate it, actually, as I am pretty new to the board. Thanks!

Laurie A Beltran
Yearling
Username: Prophecy_ranch

Post Number: 99
Posted on Friday, April 04, 2008 - 08:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Cj,
I was just referring to animal owners in general! What we would do with our sick babies or animals for that matter is not always the way others would react!

My heart still goes out to those who have suffered a loss! AND to those animals that had to suffer!!!!!!!!!!

L

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US