SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

408 days in foal, Anyone had one go that long?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » 408 days in foal, Anyone had one go that long? « Previous Next »

Ann Fathom
Neonate
Username: Midnite

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 09:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I am new to this board and would like to first say hello.

I have a mare who is 408 days in foal today. I know the longest viable foal was 417 days or so I've heard. I'm worried. Vet says give her a few more days and he may have to induce. She has been showing signs nonstop for the past 2 months. At one point, we even saw the flourescent white colored bag showing a little, but retracted and went back in and she got up and back to normal??? She is a throuroughbread and seems to be in no real discomfort. I can still feel and hear the foal. I watch endlessly from a window discretely as this foal, filly or colt not sure, but it is giving her pure hell. But she keeps her wits about herself, looking miserable but calm. Not sure...Has anyone heard or had a foal go this long and still be ok??? Thanks for any input.

Sheila Armstrong
Neonate
Username: Sheila_armstrong

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann, I have a mare that is at day 418 today and finally looks like she is starting to get close. My mare has not been exposed to fescue or any stallions after her last insemination on April 7, and she has never carried anywhere close to this long before so I am not sure what she is doing this year. I have discussed her situation with my vet since she reached about 360 days, and more recently I have called a couple of large veterinary hospitals just to see if they have heard of mares carrying this long. One large veterinary clinic told me they are aware of a mare that carried 464 days this year and had a live healthy foal so that made me feel much better. Everyone I have spoken with over the past month or so has been consistent with advising not to induce unless we felt the mare was in trouble. My mare looks miserable, but she is in relatively good spirits and is eating well so we are just watching and waiting. I had a mare go 375 days last year and she had a healthy happy colt. Good luck with your mare, I hope all goes well.

Ann Fathom
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 11:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila, thank you so much for responding. I am so ecstatic to hear that...whewwwww.....Everybody keeps telling me that the longer she carries, the less likely the foal will be viable and ok. Your post has given me some hope. She is eating good, never passes up a drop of anything...lol...still pooing and drinking alot. I mean everything looks fine except her miserable, "poor me" look, so I'm just glad to hear that you are in the same boat and there is hope for us yet...My house is a wreck, haven't cooked in a month waiting and praying... Thanks again and good luck with your foal!!! Let me know how goes ok?

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann,

My mare went 379 days a few years ago and delivered a healthy (but small) colt. I can't imagine your anxiety being a month more! I know I was a nervous wreck. I will be thinking positive foaling thoughts for you both Ann & Sheila! What does their udders look like? Any milk at all?

Ann Fathom
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan. Well, my mare's udders have been filled up some days, and other days they go down a bit. The color and consistency keeps changing from off white, to white and back. This morning, she had waxed up again. She is getting a little more touchy and doesn't want anyone really messing with her too much. Hope all goes good for everyone. I'm just a wreck as you imagined but very hopeful as she seems to be in no real discomfort.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 04:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann,

Sounds like she is getting close. Hang in there.

Emily West
Breeding Stock
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 181
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann,
I also heard of a couple of records in the 440s in Australia.
She sounds like she is getting ready. Hope it won't be to long for you.

Emily

Sheila Armstrong
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jan,

Links to some pictures of my mare are attached. The first one was taken on May 17. The next three were taken on May 23. The next two this afternoon, at 419 days. The last one is of my colt that was born at 375 days last year, he was two days old in the photo. He was not small, although I understand longer term babies generally are.

I am hoping my mare foals within the next three days, otherwise I have to take her to my on Sunday because I will be out of town on business. I really do not want to move her under the circumstances, but I think she will be much better off in the animal hospital.

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Does anyone think she will make it by Sunday?

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar 5-17.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar 5-23.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar right5-23.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar Udder5-23.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar 013.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Skylar Udder5-31.jpg
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z181/shearmstrong/?action=view&current=Prince right3-25.jpg

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 09:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila,
She looks like she has changed a lot in the last week by those pictures. I hope she has it soon!!
Oh, and she is so pretty. I am partial to Paints myself.

Ann Fathom
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the replies. No foal yet...Thought we would have one by this morning but I guess she just isn't ready....

Sheila, she is so beautiful!!!!!! She looks close to me but then again, mine has looked close for 2 months....lol....I pray all goes well for you!

Ann Fathom
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question, can someone tell me how to put pics up on here so I can get some feedback??? Thanks....

Emily West
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 189
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 02:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann,
You can upload them onto photobucket and then paste the url here.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 05:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila,

Are you hanging in there? What a beautiful mare! she looks really ready to me. Hopefully you have a foal by the time you are reading this! Your baby is so cute too! Fingers crossed for you! Is she soft in her croup, kind of like jello?

Sheila Armstrong
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, June 03, 2007 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your compliment about Skylar. No foal yet and we are now at day 422. She is very soft in her croup and her entire rear end is like jello. Still no wax and no change in the color of her milk. The baby has been really active for the past couple of days, I hope that is a sign of something good. I just dropped Skylar at my vet's office because I have to go out of town tomorrow morning and will not return until the 11th. I never dreamed I would still be waiting for a foal in June! I hated to move her when she finally looks like she is getting ready, but at least I know she is in good hands.

Ann,
Good luck with your mare, I can't wait to see the pics.

Lynn
Neonate
Username: Macbeth

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good luck with the mares, bet they are both COLTS!!!!! Boys are never ready to get out into the wide world and 'grow up', that goes for humans as well

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 370
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sheila,
How are you? How is Skylar? Any news?

Sheila Armstrong
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jan,

No news, thanks for asking. Skylar is at day 432 today. I am past the point of worrying and am now curious about when she is going to have this baby and what it is going to look like, aside from being a bay tobiano or tovero which is genetically the only color it can be. I suspect a colt as well. It is very late and very active. Skylar is now living at my vet's office because of my travel schedule. I figured by June both of my mares would have foaled. My other mare foaled at 331 days and has already been checked in foal for 2008. LOL. I will post when we have some news, hopefully soon.

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 373
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well hoping it comes sooner than later for you! Keep us posted!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US