SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Severe Edema in Post-Foaling Mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Severe Edema in Post-Foaling Mare « Previous Next »

Mrs A Watson
Neonate
Username: Romyhorse

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 07:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, my mare foaled on Saturday night (11th). A couple of days before foaling she developed edema along her stomach. She is a 13 year old maiden TB. After foaling the swelling on her stomach was massive and the vet came out Sunday morning. He said it was severe edema with a possibility of herniation (there was some soft swelling in front of her udder). He gave her an anti-inflammatory and diuretics and said if the soft swelling wasn't down the next morning he would need to see her again. Next morning the soft swelling was much worse so I eventually managed to get hold of him and he came and examined her again in the evening. He said he was pretty sure there was no hernia, just severe edema and gave her 3 more days diuretics and anti-biotics (as she also has a bit of a discharge from her vulva). The diuretics end tomorrow morning and the swelling has gotten worse, spreading along her stomach. My vet has never seen anything like this before and I would be glad of any input. Here is a photo I took this morning,

http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=edemasx2.jpg

she is uncomfortable and hasn't laid down since having the foal and is sometimes in pain when the foal feeds. There is also chafing where it rubs against her hind legs.

On another point, the foal has a swollen fetlock, the vet looked at it and said it's edema too, probably gotten it from the mare through her milk. Is this common?

Jennifer D
Yearling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 03:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Maiden mare has ventral edema as well, though she has not foaled. She got severe edema around the end of March and didn't want to hardly even move. I gave her bute for 3 days and it subsided. She is due to foal any day now and still has some ventral edema even now. My vet is not concerned about it, he said older mares will get this and it is more common for them (she's almost 14).
I might seek a second opinion or call a repro vet about your experience. It may be something, it may be nothing to worry about at all.
My Vet had my mares blood checked for a specific enzyme(I don't remember which one now)which can be indicative of an episode of muscle truama. They were elevated slightly meaning she could have injured herself in the pasture when we still had some nasty ice. Your mare could have had some abdominal injury (her body was just assaulted!) and the edema could be associated with that. I am no expert, but this is the conclusion we came to after testing my mare. By the way your girl does not look any worse then mine did when she had the worst of it. Good luck to you and your mare.

A Watson
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 05:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you Jennifer for your reply. The vet came out on Thursday as she had been getting worse, even with the diuretics. It was a different vet and he again said it was probably just edema, he checked her for a lateral hernia but couldn't feel anything, but he also had never seen anything like it before! I asked him to put her on bute as she was in alot of discomfort and since then she has been walking around more and looking happier. Basically the vet said as long as she is eating and drinking and feeding the foal leave her for a week to see if it settles. The edema continued to get slightly worse, even creeping round between her hind legs, but this morning the edema was looking much less, however the softer swelling on her belly is looking bigger (if you look in the photo above you will see a bulge on her stomach in front of her stifle).

Anyway, I know there is nothing can be done over the weekend. I am going to wait until Monday and see how the soft swelling is, that's the one that concerns me. If it continues to get worse I can get them to refer her to the vet hospital. But it's nice to hear from someone else who has had a similar experience. There is a possibility of trauma as she should have been separated from the other mares before foaling, but the yard where she is kept is overflowing with horses at the moment and there wasn't a spare paddock to put her in, so she foaled in a field with 2 other pregnant (non-maiden) mares.

Mood Swings
Yearling
Username: Mood_swings

Post Number: 67
Posted on Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes this looks like a prebubic tendon rupture!! Hopefully it isn't. Good luck to you and your mare.

A Watson
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 09:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked my vet about that and he said he sees alot of that in ewes (he's a livestock vet) and he didn't think it looked like that. He watched her moving about and she looked comfortable (I think he wondered why I was asking for bute!) and there is no blood in her milk. He said he could do an ultrasound but they are not good at reading them so I decided that would be a waste of time (they did have a really good equine vet on the practice but he left a year ago, he did all their ultrasounds). At the moment I'm taking one day at a time, I'll see how she is tomorrow.

(Message edited by romyhorse on May 20, 2007)

Jennifer Graef
Weanling
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 40
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edema is not something that the foal could "get" from his mother. The fact that your vet said that would make me get a new vet. That is crazy-talk!

A Watson
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 06:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he meant that edema is caused by a chemical imbalance, often made worse by pregnancy hormones and maybe my mare was passing on the imbalance in her milk. Anyway, my mares edema has gone, and the foals went at the same time. The swelling on her stomach is still there so we are waiting on a referral.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US