SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Over due date maiden mare

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Over due date maiden mare « Previous Next »

Linda Nicholson
Neonate
Username: Wyndijane

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is at 376 days. She's a maiden 6 yr old Tennessee Walker. Not bagging up. Vulvo still small. Vet says sit down and quit pacing the floor. It's normal. All the things I've read says it's not normal. Is anyone else having or have had this with their maiden mares? I'm a nervous wreck!

Beth Walker
Nursing Foal
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Linda, For some reason this year is a crazy year. Seems like most of the mares are going way over due. Your vet is right, when the foal is ready it will come and it's a waiting game this year. We had one mare go almost 4 weeks over, foal is healthy and doing well. Hang in there, everyone is going crazy this year. Happy foaling!

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock
Username: Gypsycreations

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Linda, My only concern would be if you have your mare on Fescue pasture. If so, she could have gotten toxins from an endophyte infestation in the grass. This causes prolonged pregnancies/not bagging up. If this is the case, ask your vet about it. If he/she doesn't know, contact a local breeding farm. They will surely know about it. If she hasn't been on fescue - no worries. We had one poster who's mare went 400 days!

Kris Lancaster
Yearling
Username: Krisser

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colleen
I am pleading my ignorance- Where does fescue grass grow? How do you know if you have it or not??

Jennifer Cook
Nursing Foal
Username: Black_opal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 04:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto to Kris's post about the fescue.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fescue grass is very common in Kentucky and Tennessee, I know that for sure. We backed out on the purchase of a gypsy mare after we found out she was on a fescue pasture. (she later aborted and another mare that was with her was way overdue). It will not hurt horses to graze on it...unless they are pregnant. Contact your county ag extension office. They will surely be able to tell you if you have fescue pastures or not. Of course, if you've been on dry lot and feeding baled hay, you're okay.

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alternatively, you can do an internet search on Fescue Toxicity and find a lot of information that way.

Kris Lancaster
Yearling

Post Number: 56
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Collen
I talked to a farmer who does hay down the road and he said that fescue grass comes in a bunch of varieties and is used a lot in NY state.!! UGH we planted grass seed when we built the house but the horse pastures are hay fields that used to be farmed. I am going nuts!!! I guess it is some sort of fungus on the fescue that casues the problems. I am going to call my co- op tomorrow to have the grass and HAY tested!!! UGH!! But she seems fine and does have a utter- small it is but it is making fluid. What a scare this is!!!

Jennifer Cook
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 15
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I better look into this, too. Our horses are on pasture and I even bring Ruby out in the yard sometimes. They're also getting hay. I hope that's not why her udder doesn't seem to be getting bigger. Well, it does, but then seems to get smaller again. Still clear fluid, too. I posted a new pic. of her udder on the "udder" (what else!) thread. Tell me what you think. Thanks for the info!

Kris Lancaster
Yearling

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jennifer
I tried the link it did not work- I will try to get some pics to see if we have a similar thing??? I am geting really yellowish with white in it now but cannot get as much as I would think I could get- I have to massage and massage - my poor hands!!!HAHAH

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the posts, guys. Yes, she's on fescue, but supposedly, the variety that doesn't cause problems. The field she's in is very short. The other horses on the farm are going over, too, just not over 364 days. I've had 3 other colts, last year, different horses, no problems. It's hard to get away from fescue in KY. It's even in the hay.

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PS. The colt was kicking the tar out of my mare today in the flank. No bag yet.

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My horse tried to give birth this morning. She'd been pushing for over 30 minutes. The vet told me to call him back if she was having trouble, I told him she IS having trouble, he said she'd just take a little longer because it was her first, to quit worrying. She died trying to give birth. I lost her and her colt. If the vet would have came out when I asked him to instead of telling me I was worrying for nothing, I'd still have my mare. I've lost my best friend, the joy of my life. I don't care if I ever have another horse as long as I live. I won't go through this again. I lost a mare and colt this time last year, same story. Everyone said get another horse. It was rare a mare had trouble. Guess the joke's on me. I have 2 reg. quarter horse Palomino mares, half sisters, 4 & 5 yrs old with Leo and 3 Bars blood, and a black 2 yr old gaited mule for sale. Make offer. I'm not joking. I'm done.

Jennifer Cook
Weanling

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, Linda, I'm so sorry! I can't even imagine what you are going through. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but all I can say is, my prayers are with you.

Leia
Yearling
Username: Leia

Post Number: 96
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda ~ My heart goes out to you!! Sometimes I hate vets...UGH! It is rare for a horse to have trouble....but that doesn't make this any easier for you. I'm feeling the loss of a foal right now, but have no idea what you must be going through losing both. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

I wonder if there is any legal recourse at all?

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock
Username: Shotsnurse1

Post Number: 178
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda- Same here. So sorry...

Emma Newby
Weanling
Username: Emsxx

Post Number: 25
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How awful Linda - I think that is everyone's worst nightmare and hearts are with you I'm sure

Really sorry

Kristyn Sherman
Nursing Foal
Username: Kiki_marie

Post Number: 17
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, I am so sorry for your loss, it's heart breaking. I know that nothing we say on here makes your pain go away, but we are thinking of you.

I know you feel like getting out of horses right now, but try to give it a little more time before selling. Maybe just take a break from breeding. The two years I spent without horses in my life were the most depressing ones. Perhaps you could try a new dicsiplin with them or take up trail riding for a bit.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best and am sorry for your tragedy.

Kristyn

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, guys. I don't know if prayers will do any good. I feel like God has let me down. It hurts. Alot.

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 399
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, I too am so sorry to hear about your mare and foal. It was heart wrenching to hear your news...hugs and caring thoughts, Lynn

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, I have no words. I am so sorry. More than that, I am angry. I personally would want to make sure that vet never practiced veterinary medicine again. He was wrong, wrong, wrong and so uncaring. It makes my blood boil.

Once again, I am so, so sorry. (((hugs)))

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 257
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 01:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,

Deepest deepest sympathy to you. Breaks my heart to hear something like this happening to a person who loves her horses. They are an extended part of our families so it is no different than losing a family member. Please let some time pass before you make a huge decision like reducing your herd. When you lose a family member they say to wait at least a year before making a big decision. Feeling your PAIN.....jan o

Dianne Edwards
Breeding Stock
Username: Mamaedwards

Post Number: 362
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda...no words can ease your pain, but my thoughts are with you. I agree that vet was very unprofessional especially considering your loss last year, he should have come if for no other reason than to ease your mind after what you had already been through!
I cant even begin to guess what it would be but if you are of christian faith you know God always has a reason for the things that happen and lots of times we dont understand them, My prayer will be that God reveals his reason to you and offers you peace.

Lori aka " Raven"
Breeding Stock
Username: Raven

Post Number: 578
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, my heart goes out to you and my thoughts are with you. I'm so sorry for your lose. I do have to agree with the others that your vet should have been more on the ball since you have had this happen before. Look into reporting a complaint on him, very improper manner was conducted. I will also agree just do not jump ship on your other horses right now, give it time they need you as well. Just take a break from them, if you can. You have already built your bond with these ones. I know I went 7 years without a horse in my life after mine had burned in a barn fire, thought I would never want another one but now I have 5 and 2 foals. Good luck with your decision, but give it time.

Beth Walker
Nursing Foal
Username: Bbhorses

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda, I am so sickened by your loss. I know how you feel, we lost a mare that was our first foal to raise, we lost her and her filly 2 years ago. It was horribly heartbreaking. Any decent vet should have immediately responded to a call of any mare pushing for over 30 minutes, that was totally unprofessional. Again, so sorry for your loss!

Kris Lancaster
Yearling

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda
Oh Man I feel absolutly horrible for you.This is just aweful. I am so angry at your vet- he should of known better.I am there with Leia- I wonder if you have any legal recall on this- I would look into this!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Nancy McGee
Breeding Stock
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 224
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda I haven't been on in a while but I just read your post and I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that doesn't make you feel any better right now but know we are all there with you and sending prayers your way. I can't believe someone who took on a job to help animals could be so uncaring. I can't even describe what I want to say about that vet right now. But that won't make you feel any better. Hang in there.

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, everyone, for the support. I'd like to strangle the vet, but this is a small town, everyone knows everyone elses business, and I have to live here. I just have to let bygones be bygones, but you bet your bottom dollar, I'll not take another animal to him. I'll drive 50 miles to the next nearest vet. And I'll not have a kind word to say about him if I'm asked.

Linda Nicholson
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coleen, I enjoyed your site. Wonderful pictures.

Emily West
Yearling
Username: Paintlover

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, April 30, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
I too am very sorry. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. I had experience with one vet like that not caring and seeming to know very little thankfully though it did not cost a life. Although my brother almost lost a milk cow because of him. We won't be using him again either.
Again my heart aches for you.

Sandy Smith
Yearling
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 87
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
I am so sorry about your mare and baby. That is a breeder's worst nightmare. I wish there was something to be said or done to ease your pain, but I know there isn't. Time will heal, and that's all I can offer. Please take comfort in your other horses. They can ease the pain if you let them. I'm sorry your vet blew you off, I know how hard it is to find a good vet. Again, I am very sorry for your loss.

Sandy

Stephanie
Nursing Foal
Username: Redwood66

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Linda,
I am so sorry for your loss. I am angry at vets who do not listen to the person standing right there looking at the horse. Please think on what the others have said about getting out of horses all together. You need some time to digest everything and grieve. My prayers are with you.

Stephanie

Lori Gerads
Neonate
Username: Wee

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi, I am a newbie to this board. I am also new to the breeding end of the spectrum. I have an 8 year old mare that is (we think) in foal. I thought she was 380 days today, but I may be off by a whole cycle cause my stud did get out last may sometime.

Anyway, either way this was an unplanned pregnancy so I did nothing to enhance it or to prevent it.

So, herein lies my question. My alpha mare is not so alpha anymore. She used to be very high strung and full of energy. She has since moved back in the pecking order with no changes in the herd. She has a belly, and I thought I could feel the baby moving a few weeks ago. She had bit marks all over her body last week from what I thought were contractions. She has no bag, but her vulva is more relaxed and she is lopsided some days. She is a maiden mare so I still think she is pregnant...but then last Monday my stud got out once again and in the ten minutes I was home and they were together they bred four times for sure, but maybe more. I had to cool out the stud and mare they were so hot and sweaty. Does a prego mare let the stud breed her? I was sure she wouldn't let him...but she still apprears prego. I have not had her vet checked and I did call him and ask about fescue poisoning. I then checked and I have endophyte free seed. So that shouldn't be an issue.

If she was bred the first time he was out while I was on vacation she would be 380 days today. If she was bred the second time around, I have no idea what the due date would be. If she cycles normally...which I have never checked, she would be about due now.

Any suggestions or comments...I didn't really want to pay a vet to say yes or no she is prego, but then again I am going nuts with the indecision. UGh.

Thanks. Lori

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 09:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took my mare for a check to the vet. I was charged $25. All they have to do is reach in and feel...yes or no.

Lori Gerads
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have the spare change...so that isn't an option. Ever heard of a mare letting a stallion bred her while a mare is prego? thanks

Colleen Beck
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 206
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lori - NO, not that pregnant. Sometimes the first few months they will show to a stallion; rarely..they will stand for a stallion. I have never heard of a mare that is toward the end of a pregnancy allowing a stallion anywhere near her.

It sounds like you need to get that stallion behind a stronger fence!

Best of luck with whatever happens.

Lori Gerads
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, we had moved him out of his paddock that he can't get out of to a less stallion friendly paddock to get him out of knee deep mud/muck. We got his paddock cleaned out and he is back where he belongs...safe and sound behind 12 fence!

He was not able to penetrate very far, so now I have no clue. I didn't think they would let a stallion cover them...but who knows. Her personality has so mellowed that I think she is...maybe it is a psuedo pregnancy????

Lori

JANE OLNEY
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 193
Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 01:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be cheaper to geld your stallion than have to deal with unwanted pregnancies.

Lori Gerads
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, May 03, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for such knowledge!

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US