SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Overdue mare - 372 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Overdue mare - 372 days « Previous Next »

Mary Ann
Neonate
Username: Newbie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is 372 days today. She has been bagged up and milk veins have been huge for about 3 weeks. This is only my 2nd foal so I'm not sure if I should call a vet or wait a while longer. She has some sort of white spots on her udders...is this normal? This is stressful.

TBmares
Nursing Foal
Username: Tbmares

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mary Ann... from what I know it's not like the vet can DO anything.. horses are induced only in life or death situations basically, very dangerous to do, so all vet will do is try to guess along with you if she's foaling soon. Alas the record is something like 420 days ... so you may or may not be ready yet! Post some pictures and we'll all try to guess if she's close, and share the pain of your sleepless nights..

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 194
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 07:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I discussed the abundance of late foaling mares with the stallion manager of the farm I bred my mare at this morning and he credits it to the weather pattern we are in because it seems like everyone has mares going way over due.

Mary Ann
Neonate

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 09:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help...I'll take some pictures today and post them.

Mary Ann
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 03:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4130045.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4130044.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4130040.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4130037.jpg

Ok, here's some pictures taken today. What does anyone think since she's 374 days.

cathy Cook
Breeding Stock
Username: Razmacat

Post Number: 196
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her bag is rather unremarkable but then again I have seen mares fill in hours and then foal.

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 282
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 06:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, my maiden's bag was much smaller than that when she foaled. In fact it didn't fill in hours before foaling; kind of like during foaling. I'd watch carefully if she's a maiden.

Mary Ann
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 09:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will be her 4th baby so she's not a maiden. It just seems at this date there should be more happening.

PJ Sermons
Neonate
Username: Ridingcowgirl

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 02:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary I too have a mare that is at day 370 and my vet has told me not to worry alot of the mares are holding onto their babies this year for some reasons. They said that if the mare is eating ok and not in any discomfort (colic like) then everything is most likely OK, the baby is just not ready yet. My mare udders look about like your mare and her vulva looks a little more swollen but it could be just the pic. Hand in there everything will be OK I hope.

Mary Ann
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope so too. I'm a little more apprehensive because I just bought this mare 2 weeks ago and haven't had her throughout the pregnancy so I haven't seen the gradual changes...I just know I thought she was ready to have the baby the day we bought her (hoping anyway). I've been a little worried that the trailering her home may have hurt her or the baby. She slipped once while making a turn so I'm assuming everything is still ok with the baby.

Mary Ann
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She had the baby last night---yeah! Mother and baby(filly)are fine...thanks for the support on here..it's a great disussion room. I'll put a few pictures. Does anyone know what color she would be called? I guess sorrel but she's really light.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4160051.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4160047.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4160041.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u312/newbie_38/P4160040.jpg

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations May Ann! What a cutie pie!! She is beautiful!!!

Sandy Smith
Yearling
Username: Sandystone

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 01:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Mary Ann! She's very cute. I think she will shed out a darker red and you see it around her eyes first. You will think her face is dirty, but she'll just be changing color. I've had 3 foals that were born the color of your filly and they all shed out to a sorrel or chestnut.

Sandy

Lisa R.
Yearling
Username: Lisa98

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 02:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay Mary Ann!! My little colt is that exact color and the stallion owner said that the stallion has produced several foals that color and they end up chestnut with flaxen mane and tail. So....who knows-she sure is a cutie pie though!!

Lynn Ison
Breeding Stock
Username: Lynndi

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woohoo! MaryAnn !! What a beauty!!!Congrats!!

Cyndi
Yearling
Username: Jusblve

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations to you and your mare on the new arrival Mary Ann. She is a beautiful little filly.

"Does anyone know the count now for filly versus colts for 07"?????? just wondering

Mary Ann
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The baby is 2 days old today and I was disturbed when I saw what I thought was an umbilical hernia or something and then I realized that my mother-in-law had mistakingly identified baby as a girl!! I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even notice until today that minor fact.

Lori Coleman
Breeding Stock
Username: Editorlady

Post Number: 289
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 02:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann, that is too funny! We don't pay too much attention to what's under the tail, though, when the rest is so beautiful to look at. Conversely, my husband thought our baby was a colt at first cuz of the umbilical stump, so don't feel bad!

Dusty Housh
Yearling
Username: Belles_momma

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Ann and Lori, I thought I was the only one that had a husband mistake our filly that is a week old as a colt. LOL Im not so embarrassed about it now. We wanted a colt so bad that when he saw the umbilical stump he jumped up and said its a colt all excited. Oh well I guess that sorta thing happens to the best of us huh?

CONGRATS Mary Ann

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US