SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Sterilising of umbilicus

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Foaling and Immediate Post-foaling Issues » Sterilising of umbilicus « Previous Next »

Michele
Nursing Foal
Username: Mich

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone please tell me what the best thing to use for sterilising the foal's umbilicus is? i.e. something more effective than iodine. Is is necessary to apply it daily for a week or so?
Many thanks

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should use ½ (one-half)% chlorhexidine. This is made by mixing a liquid product such as Nolvasan (which is 2% chlorhexidine) at an 3:1 dilution ratio with sterile water or saline. Check the concentration of chlorhexidine in the product you are using and dilute appropriately (different products may have different concentrations). You should apply it 3 or 4 times a day until the umbilicus has dried up (usually 4 or 5 days).

In case anyone is reading this and saying that they have use iodine for years, the above is the latest recommendation based on research that showed that 7% iodine was too caustic, and was associated with a higher percentage of patent urachus and navel ill as a result of tissue sloughing. Betadine on the other hand (a dilute iodine solution) does not have the same superior anti-bacterial properties that the chlorhexidine does (which is about the same as the 7% iodine without the caustic effect).

Elise Krueger
Weanling
Username: Elise

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, January 04, 2007 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow....good to know. Thanks Jos.
I am deffinitely one of those that have used 7% iodine for 30 years with no problems....but I have learned something new and will use the chlorhiexidine as you recommend. Thanks. I love this site !!!

Teena Bain
Nursing Foal
Username: Bluejay

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, January 05, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos, GREAT information. I too have used the Iodine and ended up with exaxtly what you said could happen once. I have the Nolvasan and did use it last year. I think that is what I will stick to from now on. Thank you

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 24
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you v. much for that info. Phoned the pharmacy to be told that chlorhexidine has been taken off the market here?!
The vets seem to still be using it in the form of Hibitane though.
I was advised instead to use F10 (quaternary ammonium and biguanidine compounds 5.8%). Do you know the product and is it suitable?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Saturday, January 06, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are you located?

F10 has not to the best of my knowledge been researched and found to be suitable for the neonatal umbilicus.

Michele
Weanling

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In RSA; the F10 was recommended by a vet instead of Hibitane as he felt it would do the job better?

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - 01:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The purple teat dip is chlorhexidine. Don't know the concentration off the top of my head, but it can be used full strength on a cow's udder. Just add saline as Jos suggested to get the 0.5% strength that you need.

Ruth
Weanling

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 06:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked the chlorhexidine strength on the purple teat dip and it is 0.475%.
Jos, is that close enough to 0.5% to use?

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2007 - 08:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably yes, but check what else there may be in it and if those other ingredients could pose a problem (unlikely, but good to check ahead of using it!).

Jodi Maki
Neonate
Username: Mysteryarabpt

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We use http://www.equineelite.com/relief.html: ANTIMICROBIAL SPRAY, then the ANTIMICROBIAL WOUND RELIEF ( LOTION )...

Ruth
Weanling

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, January 24, 2007 - 06:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a couple of emoliants(sp?) in the purple teat dip, can't remember exactly which ones, but anyhoo, for those of you looking for Hibitane, just buy a jug of this stuff at your local farm supply...

heather sanders
Neonate
Username: Charlotsmom

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 05:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have looked for Nolvasan and my one question is which one???? when i went to the jeffers online there was 4 diff types i know for sure of the 2 its not ,but which one is it that should be used on the foal??
thank u

Megan A Brown
Breeding Stock
Username: Fabmeg

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you want the solution, not the scrub.

Kjersti Tackett
Weanling
Username: Freetodream

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 01:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is good to know we've always used iodine. Without ordering it where are places that I could look to buy it locally (I don't think our first mare to foal is going to wait for me to order it). I've looked in every feed/tack store without luck. Wal-mart and other stores don't carry it either. Is it something I'd have to ask the pharmisist behind the counter for? Isn't it a human product too? Thanks for the ideas,
Kjersti

Lynne Kuehner
Neonate
Username: Shenandoah96

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 01:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kjersti, this won't help you much since I don't know if you can get chlorhexidine locally, but I found a website that has Chlorhexidine Solution (1 gallon) for only $5. The site is www.arssales.com. It seems to be the same as Nolvasan just in the generic.

Jos
Board Administrator

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, February 09, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feed and farm stores in the USA will typically carry it.

Vicki Gaudreau
Neonate
Username: Vickigaudreau

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've ordered from catalogs, or bought it at feed stores or even Walmart.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US