SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Bad indicator?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Bad indicator? « Previous Next »

Emily
Neonate
Username: Little_lena

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 02:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare today is 136 days post-breeding. She is a maiden mare and took on the first cover. She was ultrasounded in foal at 23 days. When I saw her four days ago, there was a very slight "growth" of the mammary glands in front of her teats. Yesterday, the glands were a bit larger.

Is this an indication that she's getting ready to abort? If they do not get any larger, or "shrink", should I still have the vet look at her? Any advice at all?

Thank you very much. I am glad to have found this resource.

maxine clough
Neonate
Username: Kiaraapple

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

\blueEmily
}it sounds to me like the milk vains my mare is also a maiden and she is presently at 376 days however she is now open and there is a change of colour in her milk which was clear and today is now amber in colour, so we have got one step closer.this is my first foal, and i must say that this site has given me lots of help with different stages of the pregnacy so thanks to all out there keep posting

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this stage of pregnancy, it is unlikely that the mammary enlargement is indicative of impending abortion. It is more likely that it is due to hormonal fluctuations.

Emily
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 08:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much. I checked again today, and her teats are a bit fuller while the previous "enlargement" has shrunk. Since this happened over such a short period of time, it does seem like it could just be fluctuations.

Gail
Weanling
Username: Gail_daigle

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxine:

It looks like we are in the exact same situation. I have a maiden mare who is at 369 days today. This is my firs foal and I am very worried that she hasn't foaled yet. I am glad to see someone else way past 340 days.

nancy vance
Weanling
Username: Ndv101

Post Number: 28
Posted on Friday, September 01, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gail, just wondering if any thing has happened yet. When did u say vet was coming out?

maxine clough
Neonate
Username: Kiaraapple

Post Number: 7
Posted on Saturday, September 23, 2006 - 07:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare is now one month over, vet looking at her on monday. can anyone answer this question? my mares mother carries her foals 13 months is it possible that a filly could take after her mother regarding gestation time?
i know that the mare was examined on the 11th of july (the expected time was 9 may) on examination the vet said that if there was a foal in there it would be eating his fingers at this late stage and declared her not pregnat, however a filly was born on the 18 july which is the mare i know own, who has stated earlieris one month over.

Emily
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, October 21, 2006 - 02:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, just an update on this. There hasn't been much change at all since the initial "growth." Her Caslick's is still in place and if we go by 340 days' gestation, then there's 149 days to go!

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 01:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last maiden I bred did this exact same thing and delivered a healthy foal just a little shy of her due date.

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Emily,

My mare is a maiden and did the same thing around 90 days. She still has a little of the "swelling" and I have chalked it up to hormones. :-)

Emily
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, October 23, 2006 - 11:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Ruth and Jennifer! It just scared me and I'm so excited about this foal. Hope all goes well with your mare, Jennifer!

Jennifer
Yearling
Username: Jennifer_d

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! Same for you!

Ruth
Weanling
Username: Rooty

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry Emily, I had a panic attack and called my vet when Allie did this.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US