SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Early pregnancy - how to minimalise abortion/reabsorption

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Early pregnancy - how to minimalise abortion/reabsorption « Previous Next »

deborah mcdonald
Neonate
Username: Deborahm

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there. I am new to this bulletin board, but I was advised to visit it, and you guys certainly seem to have lots of breeding experience.

I have a TB mare who has bred 2 foals very easily. She had bred once with her previous owners at about 9 or 10 years old. She is now 14 or 15 and has a yearling on the ground that we bred from her. Both those times she took on first attempt, and we used AI (chilled) for our foal.

We tried to get her in foal again last year to no avail. We just thought that perhaps the problem was because she was lactating. That foal was overdue however, and was large so it was a difficult birth. We are wondering whether the birth has left her with scar tissue/endometritus?

This year we covered her repeatedly and, although she swabbed fine and was producing follicles (often 2, as she tends to twins), we could not get her to take. We swopped stallions (three times!) and covered her naturally on two cycles, the last time by a stallion of 5 or 6 years of age. To our surprise, when we scanned her at 16 days (the beginning of this week) she had twin embryos. We immediately put her on Regumate straight after the scan. We pinched the smaller embryo at 18 days.

However the vet is worried as the scan suggested that her body is trying to cycle again. I have put her on extra vitamins (NAF Pink Powder) to boost her immune system. We are based in the UK, so the nights are getting longer now. She is having feed and hay and is not in direct contact with geldings or colts, though she can see them (but not touch them) from her field.

Is there anything else we can do to stop her from losing the embryo? Any advice would be much appreciated.

(Message edited by deborahm on August 25, 2006)

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 996
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What makes your vet think that "her body is trying to cycle again"? If it is related to follicular presence, don't worry. Follicles are perfectly normal at this point. It is equally normal for there to be no follicles.

As for Regumate, take a look at the article about Regumate use, as that may be of interest to you... :-)

deborah mcdonald
Neonate
Username: Deborahm

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Jos. Sorry, I should have said, the scan was showing wavy lines at both the 16 day and 18 day scan. He said that indicates she is trying to come into cycle. In fact mum just called (mare lives at her house) and mum said she has a creamy discharge fluid from the bottom of her vulva. She was thinking it is either she had just 'shown' or it is an infection from her stitches (she is caslicked) that has flared up as a result of her being scanned twice this week.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, August 26, 2006 - 01:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mare is coming up to 5 months pregnancy. She lost last years foal somewhere between 3 and 5 months, though we never found any trace of a foal in her paddock. She was ultrasounded at the 5 month rhino visit and no foal was seen.

I was noticing that she has maintained somewhat of a bag and on giving her a bath the other day, was able to express a stream of liquid (watery, not white) from both her teats. Is this normal for this gestation (will be 5 months mid september) or are we going down the same road as last year with this mare.

She had a healthy filly two years ago with no complications and is an easy keeper. She is stabled at night with all the hay she can eat, gets Tizwiz broodmare 16% two cans a day, and is turned out on a pasture that we seeded down with a 5 seed mix of clover, grass, alphafa and timothy about 5 hours a day. I dont let her out there more than that as I have some concerns over the amount of clover and alphalfa in the mix, which looks to be alot more than 20% of each.

My question is: Is this amount of fluid I can express a red flag for an impending loss of the foal (if she is even still pregnant) or is this normal for a pregnant mare. Jos>

p.s. I mow the pasture weekly to keep her from being able to gorge on too rich a mix, and she gets to graze on the high grass for about 20 minutes a day that is around the haybarn

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Monday, August 28, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the mare has had mammary development all along, I would not be too concerned. Sudden mammary development on the other hand is a cause for concern. If you have concerns, your veterinarian may be able to tell you if you have problems by performing an ultrasound.

Debbie Burnett
Breeding Stock
Username: Horselady

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jos:

She doesn't seem to have any more of a bag than she has had all along. I have the vet scheduled for 20th September for her 5 month rhino and have already requested a repeat ultrasound to be sure she is still in foal. I guess I will just have to keep an eye on her and the paddock until then.

Deb.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US