SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Embryo size looked very small for 16 days. Normal?

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Embryo size looked very small for 16 days. Normal? « Previous Next »

Tracey Bywater
Neonate
Username: Charliepup

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, June 28, 2006 - 09:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had my mare scanned at 16 days and vet said that the embryo looked tiny so thought she was reabsorbing. Scanned her again at 18 days and he said it had doubled in size but was still tiny so didn't think it would be ok. Looking on the screen it only looked about 3cm across whereas her follicle grow to spprox 4.5cm when we were AI'ing her. Is this normal. We are having her checked again at 21 days but I don't want to get my hopes up.

Ally
Neonate
Username: Ally

Posted on Thursday, August 10, 2006 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did your mare turn out? I am having a similar problem with my mare. She is new to us so we aren't familiar with her history (she has had three foals).

Jennifer D
Weanling
Username: Jennifer

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 02:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mare had a 12mm conceputs at 17 days and it was not there at the 30 day check. This was in early May. I hope yours turns out better! I have heard of some catching up and making it though.

Coetta Buckallew
Neonate
Username: Cody

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2007 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mare pregnant with twins, one has been pinched on the 27th day after breeding. Vet says that they were smaller than they should be and he thinks they that the mare is absorbing them. Hoping since he pinched one that the other will pick up, he wants us to bring her in in 30 days for another ultrasound. I have always wanted to raise a foal and I have been so excited. But today was sadness, having to pinch one and then not knowing what is going to happen. What does absorbing mean in that sense? Why does this happen? I am trying not to get to excited now, since we don't know what is going to happen. I will take any kind of help. This will be my first foal to raise!
Thanks!}}

mary anne higgins
Neonate
Username: Mary_23

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi my mare is having the same sort of problem as yours.MY MARE HAD TWINS IN MAY only she aborted both,so we were advised by our vet to put her back in foal after foalheat,only at first she wouldnt stand for stallion so we left her till her next season and put her to my own stallion which she stood for .we covered her twice one on the third and fife day of heat .had her U/S at 14 days in case of twins only to find out that what should be 14 days is only 11 days so vet thinks she is reabsorbing.Only we are know on day 50 and she has not returned into season even after being teased on a regular weekly check .vet just says wait and see.any info would be helpfull thanks?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1581
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 06:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ultrasound machines have a standard built-in margin of error of +/- 2 days - if you look at the measurement screen you will see that (e.g. "GA 14 days +/-2"), and if that is coupled with the possibility of not knowing exactly when the mare ovulated, an "error" or 3 days is perfectly explicable.

Did you not check the mare again after the 14 days check? That should be routine for the reasons laid out in the article about twinning that is on this site (follow that link), and additionally in your case if EED is suspected!

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 08:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vet has asured me there was only one folicil ,he checked both horns as she carried twins last time, and could only find the one.he said if she doesnt come into season by christmas to have her paltaed to see if shes in foal.
What would you recomened?

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1582
Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2007 - 09:16 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pregnancies have been seen with asynchronous ovulations as much as 6 (yes SIX) days after the primary ovulation. If one is checking at 14 days, that means that the second pregnancy would only be about 8 days if there were such a situation - and that is far too small to be able to see on u/s, hence the need for a second ultrasound. Not doing that u/s would not be a risk I would be prepared to take - especially with the mare's history - but perhaps your veterinarian is.

WRT to your situation now - If you check with u/s in the next 10 days (prior to about day 60) you will still be able to identify the pregnancy, and if there are two you can attempt cranio-cervical dislocation of one of them. If you wait until Christmas and have her palpated at that point, you would not be able to reliably identify twins, and even if you did there is nothing that could be done.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock
Username: Marilyn_l

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Anne, I feel the need to address your post.

My mare was bred by my breeder and her vet. The vet is renowned in that area for being one of the top equine repro vet. He works at the university as an equine repro vet. Anyway, like you, he was very addiment (sp?) he bred to only one follicle. Low and behold, she was in in fact pregnant with bilateral twins at 21 days. Both were growing and viable.

At 27 days we had one pinched. Hopefully, she is still carrying the remaining twin.

You may be fortunate enough to only have one pregnancy, and it probably is, but why take the chance??? If I were you and knowing what I know now and what I went through myself, I would take Jos's advice. He is extremely knowledgeable.

I hope this helps, Marilyn

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you very much, I will phone my vet in the morning to have her rescaned.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 281
Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2007 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your welcome Mary Anne. Please let us know how the ultrasound comes out. I wish you and mare good luck and only one little one in the oven.

Marilyn

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 08:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HI I phoned my vet this morn hes coming out on thursday 12pm to put my mind at rest. thank u for all your help I will keep u posted

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 286
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Anne, I'm very glad to hear the vet is coming!

Like I said, she probably is carrying only one, but I'm not one that likes to gamble, especially with my animals.

Yes, please keep us posted. Good luck!

Marilyn

Jan Owen
Breeding Stock
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Mary Anne.....I have my fingers crossed for good news on Thursday...piece of mind is priceless. Keep us posted!

Tracy Smith
Breeding Stock
Username: Tracys

Post Number: 193
Posted on Monday, October 15, 2007 - 01:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Anne, sending good vibes your way! Keep us posted.

Marilyn Lemke
Breeding Stock

Post Number: 313
Posted on Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Anne, how did the ultrasound turn out? You've been on my mind all day. I hope everything is fine and there's nothing to worry about.
Marilyn

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, April 10, 2008 - 06:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ops sorry i forgot to reply vet said mare not pregnant. only know she looks pregnant and still has not come back into season in fact i can see a lot of movement either gas or foal not sure she doesnt like u touching her stomach is constantly biting her sides and doesnt like other horses near her does anyome think shes still could be pregs my daughters riding instuctor thinks he saw foal movement in her left horn this was three weeks ago. once again sorry i forgot to post back.

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hi everyone my mare star that had twins last year that both died then she had a false pregnancy has just been confermed in foal today 20 days.

Jan Owen
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: 1frosty1

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mary Anne~That is great news, at 20 days did you get to see that flickering heartbeat? Congratulations!

mary anne higgins
Neonate

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no the vet didnt point out a heartbeat but said everything looks good and the right size for 20 days.
would I be able to hear the heartbeats with a stefascope yet.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US