I have one mare here on my property that is just confirmed in foal. I have another mare that I am buying from the local vet, she is still on the vet's property, as she had a foal by her side and we were AIing that mare.
The vet's neighbor bought some horses with Rhino (not confirmed - vet has sent some tissue for pathology - but she thinks that's what it was.) and put them in the pasture directly across from my vet's horses. The vet's whole herd was infected, including my mare.
My mare at the vet's had recently been checked in foal also. The vet said when she did the u/s that the embryo looked 'squishy' and that she wasn't sure it was going to survive. Then this virus happened. The foal my mare had at her side died, and my mare was very ill. The vet thinks she has probably lost the baby she was carrying as well, but we won't know for a couple more weeks while the mare gets better, then we'll do an u/s and see what's going on.
My questions: How does the Rhino virus affect a pregnancy when it's just beginning? I've heard a lot about late term abortions, but can't find much on early stuff.
When I bring this mare to my property with my other mare, will she infect my other pregnant mare? Of course I will wait until the virus is cleared up, but I heard it goes latent. I have a gelding here too, obviously I don't want any of them to get sick.
3. Is there anything I can do to protect my mare here? She's had rhino vaccine already, but I hear it's not 100% effective.
4. Last but not least, if my mare lost her foal somewhere in all this - due to being squishy or the virus - how long does it take for her to cycle again? I'm wondering if she's not cycling, does that mean she's still pregnant? Or would it take a few weeks anyway for her to start cycling?
jos, I have a mare 131 days pregnant,The chart says to give her 5th month pneumabort shot at 141 days. I have a vet coming tomorrow for something else, would it be okay to give first pneumabort shot 10 days early and then stay on 60day schedule. or should i wait untill the 141 days.
Hi Beverly, I'm not Jos, but I think I can help. I've heard that some vets recommend the pneumabort shots to begin at 3 months. So I don't think it would be a problem to give 10 days early for the 5th month.
As Marilyn has noted, it is not uncommon for EHV-1 (sub 1) vaccines to be given at 3, 5, 7, 9 and sometimes (if the mare shows no inclination to foaling) 11 months. Giving the first 5 month dose 10 days "early" is therefore not a problem, but as you note maintain the 60 days cycle from that point.
jos, & Marilyn, thank-you both very much for a quick answer. gave mare pnuemabort shot today.I have one more question?I have two horses that are going to state championships at end of oct. I read somewhere that a vet reccommended that horses coming into stable with pregnant mare should have a pneumabort shot to keep any rhino virus from shedding. is this true. if so should i give these two horses shots (pneumabort) before they go as it is an enclosed area with many horses and stalls they will be in for 5 days. always thought pneumabort would only benefit a pregnant mare. also is she going to be at all protected with a 3 week old shot.
Pregnant mares that are being kept in a "high risk" situation - which includes ones that has horses that are competing (and therefore coming into contact with a significant number of other "strange" horses) - are best vaccinated against EHV-1 (sub 1) at 3 months as well as the 5, 7 and 9 moths time points. If the mare has shown no indication of foaling by 11 months it is generally recommended to give one again.
The reason for vaccinating every 60 days is that that is the duration of protection. This is not a reflection on the quality of the vaccine, but rather the nature of the virus.
In the above situation, where the mare has only received her vaccination approximately 3 weeks prior to possible exposure, it should be OK, but would have been better if the vaccination had been given at 3 months as well. Vaccination of the other horses will protect them against possible infection with EHV-1 (sub 1), and therefore may have some value for the pregnant mare, but it would not prevent shedding, but rather reduce the chance of initial infection if antibody levels had reached an adequately high level prior to exposure.
jos, hi , its me again. My mare is now 176days pregnant. my question is that strangles are becoming an epitemic in this area and boarders want to give strangles vac. to their horses. about 10 horses. Is this vac. safe to give to the others horses , with my mare in foal. does this vac. shed like rhino?My mare had strangles vac. before being bred(about 8 mths ago).
Obviously this is a question best addressed to your veterinarian who would be familiar with your individual set of circumstances. I can only answer with general information.
Vaccines are usually in one of two forms - live or killed. The live vaccines are typically modified in some way (eg "attenuated") to prevent an actual infection with the disease. The intent is to cause the animal to develop antibodies against the disease, not the disease itself! The modified live vaccines do in some cases carry a slightly higher risk of cross-contamination (sero-conversion) wherein an adjacent (and non vaccinated ) animal becomes (in essence) vaccinated themselves. The risk of that is low, but not zero. Note that neither Strangles nor EHV-1 vaccines "shed". You are confusing the disease actions with the vaccine action.
Many of the vaccines are labelled "not for use in pregnant mares". If the vaccine is labelled as such, it would be worth approaching the manufacturer to determine why. In some cases it may simply be that it has not been tested in pregnant mares, and therefore cannot be sold as suitable for use in them. This for example is the case with the EVA vaccine "Arvac", but it is recommended that in the face of an outbreak even non-vaccinated pregnant mares be vaccinated. And there probably is the crux of the issue - in many cases, the disease itself poses a greater threat than the vaccine, so of course if there is an outbreak of such a disease locally it is usually better to vaccinate than risk.
So, in summary - discuss it with your veterinarian, and also possibly contact the vaccine manufacturer in the event that there is not an approval for use in pregnant mares indicated on the package insert. But failing an obvious indication to the contrary, in the face of an outbreak, don't run the risk!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: