Per my recent bulletin board posting, my mare is 50 days in foal and was cultured at 30 days. Due to some staffing problems in the lab, the results took a very long time.
Initially I was told the preliminary results showed the mare had 2 streptococcus and aentero bacter. My vet said that he felt these may be normal uterine flora that could be picked up on a culture, but not any of the serious bacteria typically screened for. I received a call today saying that the final lab results show the mare is positive for strepzoo (not sure of spelling).
Should this pregnancy be aborted, or are there other treatment options that would help the mare clean up her uterus and hold the pregnancy. I know that tribrissen is generally thought to be safe for pregnant mares, but will this have any affect on strepzoo?
Obviously, I am devastated by this and want to be sure that I have looked at all the options. I would greatly appreciate any advice JOS.
Terminating the pregnancy is probably pointless at this stage of the game, as the mare is not going to cycle back into estrus for another 100 days or so, so the rest of the breeding season is shot.
Using oral SMZ's may be a good route to go, but I would approach your veterinarian (whom you are going to have to get the antibiotic from anyway) and ask him for his opinion - he put you in this mess, so it should be up to him to help sort it out!!!
Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.
Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.Proud to be sponsored and supported by: