SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

25 yr old barren mare showing signs of pregnany!!

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » 25 yr old barren mare showing signs of pregnany!! « Previous Next »

JENNY BADER
Neonate
Username: Katiearab

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 01:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Arab was bred June 10 05 and would be due May 18th. She was on Regumate for low Progesterone from 18 days to the 4 month ultrasound when the u/s said she aborted. U/S every 30 days from 14 days to 4 months. u/s normal up to the 4th month. According to u/s she aborted. Since Febuary she has gotten incresingly larger, wide ribcage and big belly. No change in food ration so I don't think it is a hay belly. Her daily ration is 1 flake 2 a day, 3 lbs senior per day with 1/2 lb of rice bran mixed in. She has been fed this ration for 4 yrs with no change in body structure. Although I don't feel any real movement I asked two vets and they said sometimes you won't feel movement, some fetuses are quiet. Also he Vulva is stetched some and swollen. She also has adema in front of her teats, no bag but have noticed adema getting worse. Is it maybe a psuedo Preg?? my vets say if psuedo there is no change in body size or structure the mare just doesn't come into season for 11 months and acts preg by proxy. What do you all think?? Thanks for your help.

Jennifer Graef
Nursing Foal
Username: Kakadu

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 04:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are describing my 24 year old arabian mare exactly. She only made it to about 3 months pregnant though. Everything else is the same, including the edema. She has had it for months now. Its sometimes up by her front legs but usually its near her teats. Its really hard and holds a thumbprint for a long tome if I press on it. I don't think she is pregnant but I am wondering about some kind of hormonal changes. Even the amount of food you feed is the same! I wormed her and had her on daily strongid for 3 months so I know its not worms. I am mostly concerned about the constant edema.

JENNY BADER
Neonate

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 06:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vets one with 45 years experience and the other with 15 years experience say in a Pseudo Pregnany body changes arn't normal just an 11 month lack of estrus, comming into heat. They both think she is pregnant or she has a tumor growing or thyroid problem. All the signs I previously discribed are not normal of a Non pregnant mare. I am having her palpatated tomorrow and IF she really IS pregnant she will be due on May 18th. I hope nothing is really wrong with her!! When would your mare be due?? Let me know If you have her palpatated and the findings so we can compare notes to help others with a similar or same senerio.
}

Joanna
Breeding Stock
Username: Joanna

Post Number: 122
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 07:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jenny, is she pregnant? Updates, please!

JENNY BADER
Neonate

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 08:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No She isn't pregnant She has a tumor and the vet isn't sure that is what caused the 50 pound weight gain and edema she has. Let you know when I find out more. Having her thyroid tested also. Let you know on that too.

JENNY BADER
Neonate

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Katie has fully recovered from her ordeal of loosing her foal at 4 months and ingesting plastic baled in her hay. That was most likely the cause of her abortion. The stress of not being able to pass only little amounts of feces and being in pain. She did finally pass the plastic after about 4 weeks and 6 oil tubings later. She is back to her old self at the ripe Young age of 26, still running and bucking.

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US