SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Mare size at 270 days

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Mare size at 270 days « Previous Next »

Rebecca
Neonate
Username: Bexxy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 02:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi there,

My mare was scanned in foal around 35 days. Since then Eveything has gone smoothly as far as we can tell. She should now be 270 days. Going on last pregnancy she should have around 66 days to go. My question is that she isn't looking particularly large or pregnant - should I expect her to be quite big or noticeable now? She generally is quite stressy and when she is stressed she has very active abdominal muscles (heave lines) so I am wondering if this might be why she hasn't dropped (if that's the correct term!) because she has strong abdominal muscles? When she is relaxed she looks quite deep but I am a little unsure when you should expect to look and go " that horse is pregnant!"

She is due for her injections at the end of the month so I can ask my vet to have a look but I am at my whits end looking at her saying is she?/isn't she! Any advice? Will post a picture if I can .......

When i google mare size they all look huge by now! Thanks!

Rebecca
Neonate

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one of her relaxed where I think she looks ok;

http://m1249.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/bexxyv/photo-2.jpg.html?o=1&newest =1

And one where i dont think she looks at all pregnant taken within days of each other

http://m1249.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/bexxyv/photo-3.jpg.html?o=0&newest =1

Julianna
Neonate
Username: Juie

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2012 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Rebecca,

Have you seen or felt any foal movement? My mare is 283 days and her "kid" is moving around all the time. I agree she doesn't look particularly big for 270 days; could be her "normal".

Good luck! It will be easy enough for your vet to do a foal check. Fingers crossed!!

Rebecca
Nursing Foal

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2012 - 05:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks! She is moving all the time but she is very active with her abdominal muscles so never sure if it's her or a little one. I see flickers sometimes too but still nothing major.

Last time she foaled I never saw movement until she was massive - although temperament wise she is a lot different than previous she is much more stressy and active these days, a worrier about everything I do think that's a lot to do with it too (hopefully!)

I am sure the vet can advise but I am not good at waiting - thanks! ;)

Candi Shanholtzer
Yearling
Username: Canchaser

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 01:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, I would like to say that you have a beautiful mare! Really nice build. My two cents aren't worth a whole lot, but I think you may be right to question. She doesn't look like the "typical" mare around 270 days. Having said that, they can fool us! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Please keep us updated.

Karen Knight
Weanling
Username: Sparkskaren

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 03:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a mare last year TB mare that we were not convinced it was in foal.Once it had started bagging up i had decided that the foal had died a few months before or was going to be the smallest foal ever. yet she foal a long legged coloured colt foal on time and she looked no diffrent before than after. she had no belly at all and you could stand behind her and not see any belly. they have a way of suprising us.

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2498
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2012 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can order a wee foal 120 also, I agree she doesnt 'look' 270 days....With the vet check or wee foal you should know for sure :-)

Candi Shanholtzer
Yearling
Username: Canchaser

Post Number: 100
Posted on Saturday, April 28, 2012 - 11:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any new updtaes??

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US