SHORT COURSES
OTHER SERVICES AVAILABLE FROM EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
FROZEN SEMEN STALLIONS
CERTIFIED SEMEN FREEZING LOCATIONS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION SUPPLIES
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BOOKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST
EASILY CALCULATE THE CORRECT VOLUME OF SEMEN AND EXTENDER TO SHIP OR USE ON FARM!
EQUINE REPRODUCTION BULLETIN BOARD
SITE MAP OF EQUINE-REPRODUCTION.COM
CONTACT US

horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
horse breeding
Go to the articles page

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board

Topics Page Topics Page Register for a new account Register Edit Profile Profile Log Out Log Out Help/Instructions Help    
Posting is restricted to registered board members only to prevent spamming of the board. We regret the necessity of this action, but hope you will appreciate the importance of the integrity of the board. Registration is free and information provided during the process will not be submitted to third parties.

Confusing mare..

Equine-Reproduction.com Bulletin Board » Abortion and Pregnancy Loss » Confusing mare.. « Previous Next »

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling
Username: Michelleh

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 12:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Jos,I started a thread in october about my mare getting ready to foal,I have a few questions and need some input,are you available?

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 44
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been talking to diana and holly but i hate putting to much on them,they both have really big stuff going on right now.I just have a few foaling questions,my mares health and if she is underweight what are the chances of her foal being weak or not surviving,and i think she is in labor now and foal was moving all over yesterday ,but if she is weak is there a chance she just wont foal and baby may die?She had a severe injury into her 4th month of pg.

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2011 - 07:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant "go into labor on her own" when i said "just wont foal at all"lol.I thought for sure she was in labor,but her ph went back up a little and its been a good few hrs since i thought she may be in active labor :-(

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2440
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps it would help if you showed him pictures of yopur mare.
I personally refered to complications during foaling, or a possible weak foal. Not JUST because of her condition but that certainly adds concern.
Ive had mares get injured during the pregnancy and continue on and GAIN weight properly as well as deliver healthy strong foals.I dont see how an injury at that time in pregnancy can effect weight 6 or more months later.
Mares should be fed properly to ensure the best possible health for both Mare and foal, during and after gestation.
I personally feel a Vet check at this time to rule out possible dental issues,and have the mare checked also for overall health condition, would be a good idea.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4090
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2011 - 11:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, first of all, I believe we have spent the better part of 3 weeks looking at pics of your mare, and TRYING to help you. As far as "if my mare is underweight"...there is no if...she IS. Neither Holly nor I said anything about the mare "not going into labor" because of being thin. I also stated that mares *can* have milk, even when they're not bred, for various reasons...IF that mare has a foal in there, it certainly doesn't show. A HOOF injury does not cause a horse to lose this substantial amount of weight! I've seen several horses in her condition come into the rescue pregnant, spend a month putting on weight, and foal healthy foals. And some of them come in pregnant, too late in pregnancy to put weight on, and have complications from being too thin, unhealthy and weak to foal. I feel it is imperative to have the mare vet checked not only to find out if she is still in foal, but to assess her condition, and get her on a proper feeding schedule while you still can. You tell me the mare was sold to you by a 'breeder'...and this does not sound like the type of breeder I'd ever associate with. NO professional breeder keeps their prized broodmares in this condition. They told you they had her preg checked twice, once by ultrasound, and once by blood work. What do you think are the chances that a breeder who won't pay to feed their horses will spend that kind of money to check them in foal? They also said they had her teeth floated just before you got her? I've heard that one a million times too, then went ahead because the horse was thin, and had the vet out to do them anyway....only to find they'd probably NEVER been done. The mare has had an entire month in your care to be fed well and putting on weight, and instead she's losing weight. I HATE having to reitterate everything I've ever said...but if THIS mare ever showed up at my barn (or the barn of ANY "breeder" I know) the first person she would see would be the VET. This "breeder" has given you a TON of bad information....from telling you that the mare doesn't need weight, then that her feed doesn't need to be upped...and that she doesn't have a bag because she's a maiden, that she doesnt' need wormed, etc.....it's ridiculous to try and listen to it from our end. When it's obvious from what they say they are either irresponsible, or just plain trying to tell you what you want to hear. I , on the other hand, am trying to help you make the best of a possibly bad situation....by informing you. And trying to teach you about feeding pregnant mares and their care. Choose to listen or not, but don't come on a public forum, and call me and Holly out. The information you posted here did NOT come from either of us. AS I have said before, if a mare is going to postpone labor, it is until the next time it's quiet....NOT for a month or nore!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3430
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2011 - 06:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically the mare will put nutrition to the fetus first and herself second, consequently, even if she is getting inadequate nutrition, the foal is often perfectly OK.

The mare will foal when she's ready. Unless she is in a distinct state of health distress, she will foal - with all the usual risks associated with that.

You obviously have concerns about your mare. Posting on a bulletin board where even the most helpful person is going to be able to do no more than answer your questions with generalities - when you need specifics - is inadequate. Have her checked by a veterinarian!

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holly & Diana,im sorry if you thought in any way i was "calling you out"I was not.I never once said you told me ANYTHING.I was just asking a simple question on here without having to nag YOU with more questions.As a matter of fact until now i concidered you both very kind and helpful.this last few weeks have been very confusing to me,as when i look at my mare i see a different picture changing constantly(as far as pregnancy) but never really saw her as being underweight,but she is also not overweight.I was'nt trying to say her injury caused her to be underweight,i was simply saying her hip,back and leg being out and needing adjusted do tend to make her frame look a little off especially on the one side&especially her hip sticking out.as you know we did have a date set for the vet to come up and when she did foal he came up sooner.If you are interested at all everything went as perfect as perfect gets :-)she is in perfect health as is the foal,both very strong and healthy.We ended up with a beautiful colt.As it turns out she is not underweight at all.my vet did say never put pics of a fit(there is a difference between fit and fat,not to say a fat looking mare can't be fit) pregnant mare on line,especially a black one,all i will get is negative feedback.He said Celeste had plenty of room in that big long body for a foal & that alot of people let their mares get overweight or "fat"during pregnancy and this is not needed,and all horses are different sizes and shapes and nobody should be judging anything.he did say more but that is enough.I do understand you were concerned for mare and baby and have been trying to help.I take complete responsibility for this whole misunderstanding.I never meant for anything to be taken the wrong way and I am sorry.I am still thankful for your help and did and have been taking your advice.anybody that wants to can feel free to go to my facebook and look at the pics.they are public albums.FB-"michelle walshhamilton".again I never wanted or intended to imply that either of you gave any ill advice,or really never said you gave any advice at all.You both did have SO much going on and i hope all is well for you both.

Michelle R Hamilton
Weanling

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Celeste foaled just before 1:00 pm on 11-12-11 :-)

Holly
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Bonny

Post Number: 2441
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:04 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO Get a new 'breeder' to get your horses from, and a new vet to care for the ones you have. Obviously BOTH want to tell you what you want to hear and do not have the horses best intrest at heart.Shame on Them!
There is NO WAY any vet worth his weight would say that mare was FIT. She has a complete topline , hips and ribs showing through a winter coat. Ive seen rescue horses look better than her. (Ive also noticed the pictures that show how sad her condition really is have been pulled from your photos on FB.)
Truth be told, We both have told you many times various reasons WHY her body condition could be so poor ( from tooth issues, poor diet, not enough groceries, and so on)and each time we got lame excuses passed on previous owners.
She is your mare and needs CARE. She needs weight. Now that she is lactating she will need more nutrition. Although I must add I am happy both mare and foal are ok. I just hope that it continues.

Diana Gilger
Senior Stallion or Mare
Username: Kdgilger

Post Number: 4102
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't think i could have said it better myself.....and i thought it was strange too that pics were pulled from FB before posting that everyone could go and see them, nice touch!

Jos
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 3434
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we're done here. Thank you for your input. The thread is closed.

Please everyone mind their manners - I don't like to have to shout...

Please note that opinions, product information, advice or suggestions posted on this bulletin board are not necessarily those of the management at Equine-Reproduction.com nor does the maintenance of the post position indicate an implicit or any endorsement of that information, opinion or product.

Further, although we have the greatest respect for the posters offering assistance here, you are advised to seek a consultation with your veterinarian prior to using information obtained from this board if it is of a veterinary nature.

Proud to be sponsored and supported by:
IMV Technologies - makers of Equine AI Equipment
Equine A.I. Equipment Supplies
Universal Medical Systems Ultrasounds
For your Veterinary Ultrasounding Needs
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Hamilton Research Inc - Home of the Equitainer
Exodus Breeders Supply - Your one-stop shop for all your reproductive needs!
Exodus Breeders Supply
Har-Vet: An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products
An Industry Leader in Equine Veterinary Products!
Reproduction Resources: Specializing in Artificial Breeding and Embryo Transfer Supplies
Specializing in Artificial Breeding and ET Supplies
BET Pharm: Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
Your Compounding Pharmacy for Reproductive Needs!
www.SemenTanks.com - Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
Quality Tanks at Competitive Prices!
J.L. Smith Co. - Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
Safe, affordable breeding stocks!
  International Veterinary Information Service
International Veterinary Information Service

MAIN PAGE | INFORMATIONAL ARTICLES | SHORTCOURSES | SERVICES
FROZEN STALLIONS | FREEZING LOCATIONS | SUPPLIES | BOOKS | LINKS
EQUINE REPRODUCTION E-MAIL LIST | SEMEN CALCULATOR | BULLETIN BOARD
SITEMAP | CONTACT US